'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:12 am

Pens lose 2-1 in Double OT

- A tough loss for sure, Pens had their chances but Boston seems to be destined
- Great composure after letting Boston get the first early goal, no quit, no fold
- Sid looks off. Not sure why, but he's not moving his feet. Pens go as Sid goes. He even managed to bring down the PowerPaly
- Bruins PK is better than the Pens Pplay. Hard to imagine considering how good the Powerplay has been. Might be the major factor in the series
- Not scoring on the PPlay when Campbell was injured could be the series turning point
- Tomas Vokoun was the right choice at this time. He played solid all game long
- Craig Adams might have had his best game ever. Never stopped competing, blocks 2-3 Chara slapshots.... Proud of him, but sad it wasn't enough
- Malkin was great, didn't get much help from his linemates (Neal missed a ton of chances, Sid wasn't going, Iggy popped)
- Bennett looks good, should have never been taken out of the lineup. I'd have Kennedy back as well next game... more speed req'd
- Boston OT winner was initiated by a MONSTER HOOK by Jagr on Malkin. Both teams were getting away with OT murder, but it would have been nice to have a clean OT goal
- Orpik got slammed by Lucic & he is back out there so quick? Kudos to Bergeron on the goal, but I will always question that coaching call to let him back out (not HCDB btw)
- Can't believe the Pens didn't focus on grinding down Bruins centres as Campbell got hurt, and both Krejci & Kelly had stints "donw the runway"
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:16 am

I just want to state ... Jagr didn't sit in the box at all last night. Every shift, every moment of every shift he was committing a penalty. He wasn't called for a single one of them. That's just mind-blowing. He got away with at least two handfuls of calls.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:18 am

- Geno was a monster last night. Best game of the playoffs IMO (even if he didn't score or get a point). Always felt the game was on his stick.
- Sid, has to be broken somewhere. At least he better be. Something is not right with him. The shift without his lid was all I remember from him.
- Beau Bennett is the one shining light of hope I have for this team next year, I am really impressed with this kid.
- Pens PK looked really good when it counted alternatively their PP was disjointed. Again, where is Crosby?
- To sum it up, the Pens showed up in the back half of that game but I'm afraid it is a little too late.
- I think this series goes to 6 games, I really do.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:21 am

Due to reasons beyond my control, I was unable to watch past the first period. Sounds like it was an amazing game.
Last thing I remember thinking was that they were not connecting clean passes and it was preventing them from breaking that neutral zone clog the Bruins had going. Either the drop to the d was in his feet, or across to the other d was to the backhand or the pass up the far boards was behind him. Did that get remedied at any point?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:24 am

SoupOrSam wrote:I just want to state ... Jagr didn't sit in the box at all last night. Every shift, every moment of every shift he was committing a penalty. He wasn't called for a single one of them. That's just mind-blowing. He got away with at least two handfuls of calls.

Completely agree, Jagr hooked guys every time he made contact.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 am

My post on May 13 @ 10:26 after the Bruins escaped the Leafs:

I just think crosby chara matchup with playoff officiating is not something i want to see. So i wanted bruins gone.

Pretty much sums it up. Bad matchups create bad results.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:28 am

+They played hard and created many opportunities
-Crosby is an empty sweater
-If you hit the post 7 times in each game you are never going to win.
-Also Iginla is awful. He gave up the puck on the power play every time he touched it. Could not hold on to the puck. And I don't think he had a shot on net.
Last edited by Inkio on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Due to reasons beyond my control, I was unable to watch past the first period. Sounds like it was an amazing game.
Last thing I remember thinking was that they were not connecting clean passes and it was preventing them from breaking that neutral zone clog the Bruins had going. Either the drop to the d was in his feet, or across to the other d was to the backhand or the pass up the far boards was behind him. Did that get remedied at any point?

It was a crazy exciting overtime. I allowed myself to enjoy the back and forth trading of chances and just marveled at how amazing the NHL Playoff OT games can be. Hope all is well, can't imagine anything within your control pulling you from a Pens playoff game.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby owtahear on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 am

That was a tough game. As fans are want to do, when their team loses they want to blame and criticize. I will place the blame...on the Bruins. They are really good, they have won a Cup more recently than we have, and Rask was outstanding again.
Thoughts:
- Sid does look off but as the game went along I thought he started looking more like Sid. When he got his helmet knocked off....I thought he was going to end the game in 2OT.
- Geno was a monster.
- We should have traded for Jagr instead of Ignla (lol)
- Vokoun was great. I am not sure what the MAF supporters were thinking.
- How many posts can we hit?
- The Bruins deserve this series but my god, we haven't gotten one bounce...one bounce or deflection or whatever.....
- Morrow looks like one of those table top hockey wingers whose gear is stripped and is completely ineffective and all he can do is go up and down the wing
- The forwards were much more defensively responsible
- It's over. But all they can do is win Game 4. If you are DD, do you go sacrilegious and sit down Morrow or Iggy for a Kennedy? Speed kills.
- This game is tough to criticize. They played their hearts out, but the goal scoring has dried up. They are definitely gripping their sticks tightly.
- I can take this type of loss moreso than the Game 2 debacle. It doesn't hurt less, but at least you know the team left it on the ice.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 am

Just depressing. Excellent game, but just so depressing.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 am

1 - Great Game

2 - Jerome Iginla is not a fit for the Penguins. Too slow, and IMO, overrated and over hyped. For as "skilled" as he supposedly is, he has missed rebound, after rebound, after rebound. Square peg meet round hole.

3 - How Paul Martin and Matt Niskenenen are in the game and Mark Eaton is not, is beyond me. Granted I am not hockey smart, but from these eyes I cannot see what Martin or Niskennen bring to the table besides soft, and indecisive play.

4 - Give Tukka Rask his due. He is playing at a uber-elite level.

5 - Boston is destiny's child. Seriously. They are playing incredibly well, but there is some luck in all this, and it is coming out of their ears in Boston.

6 - Why? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? Does our team pass when they have a shot at an empty net ? Crosby did it twice. Malkin once. Neal cleared a puck out of their zone for Boston when he had a great scoring opportunity. Too cute, and it hurts them time and time again.

7 - Did I say that was an awesome game last night yet ?

8 - The Penguins may not deserve to win this series but they deserved a better fate last night.

9 - Vokoun's save where his arm seemed to come out the top of his head while laying on the ice was incredible.

Bring on game 4, things are bleak but that is not going to stop me from cheering for the Penguins.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 am

- As Owtahear pointed out, must give the Bruins tons of credit. Boston Strong effect....
- Rask is having one of those series. On one shift, he stopped Neal 3 times where we've seen Neal score a ton of goals from
- Sadly, Rask is reminding me of Dwayne Roloson. Hot playoff goalie winning games by himself.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 am

Martin is EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, the very best dman we have on this team by a very wide margin.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 am

i want to vomit thats all i have
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 am

SoupOrSam wrote:Martin is EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, EASILY, the very best dman we have on this team by a very wide margin.

I'm not sure I would go that far, but I agree. Martin is defensively sound and offensively savvy (see Pens 1st goal). And as RugbyMuffin said, he's not "Physical", but he doesn't need to be (those hockey smarts come quick RM, hang in there).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 am

-PP 0 for 6, with not a lot generated.
-Shero's decision to improve the roster by making it older and slower not really working out
-Too many low shots on Rask, they're never going to score there.
-Double OT game and two of your defensemen have 20 minutes or less. If someone could explain Niskanen's role on this team, I'm all ears. Probably asking the impossible.
-There was a lot of open ice in the overtime periods, Pens still couldn't convert.
-Crosby hurt? Must be a brain injury with some of these passes.
-Credit to the Bruins and Rask for game 3, another team and the Pens win 5-1.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TwoSheds on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 am

Plain and Simple: Tukka Rask and the two goal posts.
See you next year.
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 am

We might have been better off not making any trades at all or at least just adding Murray. I want the team from March back.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:47 am

I cannot even tell you who I would put as the #2 dman on this team. I just know as bad as he was last year, my list goes:

#1 Paul Martin
#2-6 everyone else including Depres and Bortuzzo and except Niskanen and Engellend. (granted Engellend had a pretty good game last night, but benefited from a defense first approach)
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 am

DelPen wrote:We might have been better off not making any trades at all or at least just adding Murray. I want the team from March back.

I'd settle for everyone we traded for but Iginla. Morrow has fit in good for the 3rd line, and that would mean Bennett would have been given a shot.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 am

I have said this the last 4 years....It saddens me that this team cannot get one more Cup. I know I sound spoiled because they have more cups than most teams. I just think this type of talent and top notch players in their prime needs to have better results. Most fans would be estatic to be one of the last 4 teams left.....but I just feel like this core should have accomplished more, and I think this core will be broken up after this year.

The Penguins franchise has had wonderful opportunities, that most teams never even come close too. I cannot view this as anything more than underachieving and a waste of another great opportunity.

Sad day really......almost hope it ends Friday. But then again, maybe the Pens still have a shot here. But man, they looked tired in OT. They played so hard last night.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

SoupOrSam wrote:I cannot even tell you who I would put as the #2 dman on this team. I just know as bad as he was last year, my list goes:

#1 Paul Martin
#2-6 everyone else including Depres and Bortuzzo and except Niskanen and Engellend. (granted Engellend had a pretty good game last night, but benefited from a defense first approach)

so let me get this right...the Pens have not drafted any forwards of any note in years, and their defense is still nubby.....?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

SoupOrSam wrote:I just want to state ... Jagr didn't sit in the box at all last night. Every shift, every moment of every shift he was committing a penalty. He wasn't called for a single one of them. That's just mind-blowing. He got away with at least two handfuls of calls.

The officiating is the worst thing about NHL hockey. I don't think there's any other league where there are three sets of rules: Regular Season, Playoffs, Playoffs after the second period. And I'm not just complaining about the one missed call, it happens every game. It's like a freaking lottery whether or not you'll "win" the call (or non-call) that changes the game, this time it didn't end up in the Pens' favor.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 am

pfim wrote:

The officiating is the worst thing about NHL hockey. I don't think there's any other league where there are three sets of rules: Regular Season, Playoffs, Playoffs after the second period. And I'm not just complaining about the one missed call, it happens every game. It's like a freaking lottery whether or not you'll "win" the call (or non-call) that changes the game, this time it didn't end up in the Pens' favor.

it's sad to see that standard of letting the older guys get away with more wasn't even "standard" because Iginla goes off for a penalty but Jagr's never came. I've never seen a player, play the way Jagr did last night, sooooo blatantly and even probably even expected to and not get called for a single one of them. From the first period shift of the game where he was gassed and hooked on the right wall to the last shift of the game and goal he "set-up" with a massive hook. I'm not even sure how it could have ever happened. I know they called the penalties and handed out quite a few, but come the hell on. Jagr didn't deserve to be on the ice last night. All he did was commit penalty after penalty.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 am

It wouldn't have mattered. The Pens had 6 power plays and couldn't do anything.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins