'13 Playoffs Game 3 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 3 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Getting Iginla brought the "Hossa / team that gives me the best shot to win" curse to the Pens. Will be glad to see him go, as the Pens haven't been nearly as good as a team since they got him. Obviously, he isn't one the main problem for the Pens struggles, but I think the fans and media have been way to easy on him. He has been a giant disappointment.

That is the dumbest thing I've heard today.

How so? Iggy hasn't been a disappointment? The Pens gave up some decent assets for him, and he has given them barely anything in return.

Iginla was amongst the top 6 scorers in the playoffs prior to this series. Was he a disappointment then? Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury are all to blame before you look at Iginla.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I was referring to the "Hossa curse". I'd consider it a curse if Hossa didn't win a Cup in Chicago. This guy is constantly dominant in the playoffs.

That was actually said tongue in cheek

So you're building your premise on tearing down Iginla based on a statement regarding Hossa that is completely false?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:22 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Getting Iginla brought the "Hossa / team that gives me the best shot to win" curse to the Pens. Will be glad to see him go, as the Pens haven't been nearly as good as a team since they got him. Obviously, he isn't one the main problem for the Pens struggles, but I think the fans and media have been way to easy on him. He has been a giant disappointment.

That is the dumbest thing I've heard today.

How so? Iggy hasn't been a disappointment? The Pens gave up some decent assets for him, and he has given them barely anything in return.

Iginla was amongst the top 6 scorers in the playoffs prior to this series. Was he a disappointment then? Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury are all to blame before you look at Iginla.

I haven't been impressed with Iginla since he got here. So yes, he was a disappointment then. Getting points in blowout wins versus Ottawa and New York is what made him 6th in scoring. I cant name one play this playoffs when I said to myself "wow, what a play by Iggy." Certainly 87/71/58/29 are all to blame before Iginla. That's why I said he isn't one of the main problems for the Pens struggles.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:25 pm

MarioLives wrote:
Pitts wrote:
MarioLives wrote:If you were going to compare Jagr and Iggy in this series, Jagr has been head a shoulders better than Jerome. I noticed Jagr all night possessing the puck and winning battles. All I noticed with Iggy was slow skating and the inability to control the puck.

Why do people keep making the Jagr/iginla comparison? I don't get it.

#1. Jagr has ALWAYS been better than Iginla. His numerous NHL awards and Cups prove it.

#2. Jagr would never have been traded here in place of Iginla.

So, what is to compare? Give it a rest already.

I am not comparing the two....if you read the thread, multiple people are. I agree with you that it was not like it was an option and the Pens chose Iginla. Jagr was never an option. I am sure he is playing better because it is against his former team and he has extra motivation.

It's the same as Boston fans claiming they got the better of the "deal" by Iginla saying no, forcing them to get Jagr. Jagr did absolutely NOTHING for the Bruins until last night (regular season and playoffs).
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:27 pm

I haven't been impressed with Iginla since he got here. So yes, he was a disappointment then. Getting points in blowout wins versus Ottawa and New York is what made him 6th in scoring. I cant name one play this playoffs when I said to myself "wow, what a play by Iggy."

Iginla single handedly almost won the game last night from nothing in OT. He put a nice move 1 on 1 and took the puck to the net. Iginla is well down my list of players I'm going to point a finger at. Especially your "super stars" have 0 points, its hard to get fired up about complementary player not producing.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PAPLine on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:29 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I feel bad for feeling not nearly as bad as I probably should, but I should probably feel good about that.

:lol: I can relate to that. Actually, though, this feels a lot better than the wretched state of mind I would normally be in under these circumstances. I don't know if it's just a case of being emotionally numbed in the wake of the unthinkable happening or whether I'm truly learning to manage my emotions more effectively. I guess time will tell. In the meantime, I'm enjoying this new experience; it sure beats the alternative.

It's like Doc Emery said during, I think the first OT, this was a very entertaining game to watch, unless you happen to be rooting for one of the teams, then your stomach is in knots.
Subjectively, that was one of the best games I've seen in years. There was a lot of flow, a lot of sustained offensive pressure by both teams, unreal goaltending everything the casual fan could want in a hockey game.
On the other hand, objectively, that is, I don't know where to start.
Vokoun may have played his best game ever.
Ditto Rask.
Maybe Sid should put the jaw guard back on. He hasn't played worth a tinkers damn since he took it off.
Malkin was a beast.
Marchand showed why he is not just a pest, but a good hockey player.
I would rather have picked up Jagr than Iginla. Neither is playing like they did 10 or 15 years ago, but Jagr is contributing.
I know there are only two referrees and 10 skaters on the ice, but jeez, how can so many phantom penalties be called, and so many actual infractions be missed. I think it may have been better when there was only 1 ref.
Clearly Julien knows haw to get his team ready. It seems like the B's know what the Pens were going to do before the Pens did.
I was sitting in D24 the night Eddie Westfall broke our collective hearts, so I know it can happen. GO PENS!!!
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Jagr is skating in quicksand but his puck possession is still unreal. I die a little inside (useewatididthere) when I watch Niskanen try to get the puck from him along the boards.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 pm

PAPLine wrote:I would rather have picked up Jagr than Iginla. Neither is playing like they did 10 or 15 years ago, but Jagr is contributing.

There it is again!! Holy crap! Jagr would never have been traded here!!! And, he had about 3 points going into last night's game!!!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Pitts wrote:
PAPLine wrote:I would rather have picked up Jagr than Iginla. Neither is playing like they did 10 or 15 years ago, but Jagr is contributing.

There it is again!! Holy crap! Jagr would never have been traded here!!! And, he had about 3 points going into last night's game!!!

Did you watch any of the Toronto series or the Ranger series? He may not have had many points, but he still contributed to the overall effort. His puck possession in the offensive end kept the other teams on the defensive and not counter attacking. Getting points isn't everything. This isn't basketball after all.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Jagr was close to being a healthy scratch at one point.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thebear on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Pier was on radio , he said the series change happened in the Game 1. 2nd Period.

julian takes a time out and they go on time out. but being between the glass he listened to claude talk to his team and tell them if they play like they where , this series is over.
he said that is the turning point of the series .

It was intresting as he was on for an hour and talked about , how being inbetween the glass you can feel how the team is going and who is going to win even before the game ends.
thebear

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:59 pm

thebear wrote:Pier was on radio , he said the series change happened in the Game 1. 2nd Period.

julian takes a time out and they go on time out. but being between the glass he listened to claude talk to his team and tell them if they play like they where , this series is over.
he said that is the turning point of the series .

It was intresting as he was on for an hour and talked about , how being inbetween the glass you can feel how the team is going and who is going to win even before the game ends.

That's a load of crap.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Howso? He's got the best seat in the house.

And I totally agree that the pivotal point in the series was in the 2nd period of game 1. When Sid lost his cool, the team went off the rails. Boston stayed with it. And they're up 3-0.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Both teams played a bit of reckless run and gun in that 2nd period, so Julien decided to put an end to it. Significant, yes, but not the stroke of genius Pierre makes it out to be. Pierre can't even take a crap without looking for some deeper meaning and commenting on the shade of brown, which is why he's so annoying.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 pm

pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:10 pm

PAPLine wrote:I know there are only two referrees and 10 skaters on the ice, but jeez, how can so many phantom penalties be called, and so many actual infractions be missed. I think it may have been better when there was only 1 ref.

My take on it is this. The refs are trying to "let them play" so to speak, so both teams were getting away with things. HOWEVER, occasionally they let one go and realized, CRAP, that was too much (they have little experience "letting things go", normally it is called). So upon realization that they missed a call, they do a "make up" call. Countless times in this series and in others a dirty/dangerous hit happens, no call, then within about 10 secs later, they call the chinciest penalty going, like Murray's "Slash" last night.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:19 pm

I have watched a lot of hockey in my years, that game last night was as stressed as I've been , at live action or on TV. I watched the last 3 periods muted/radio on. :lol:
B Morrow zero shots; I thought he would take his shot in OT as GWG. not to be. reality bites
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:24 pm

penny lane wrote: reality bites

Bites very hard, with pointy teeth.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:34 pm

SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Pitts wrote:
MarioLives wrote:
Pitts wrote:
MarioLives wrote:If you were going to compare Jagr and Iggy in this series, Jagr has been head a shoulders better than Jerome. I noticed Jagr all night possessing the puck and winning battles. All I noticed with Iggy was slow skating and the inability to control the puck.

Why do people keep making the Jagr/iginla comparison? I don't get it.

#1. Jagr has ALWAYS been better than Iginla. His numerous NHL awards and Cups prove it.

#2. Jagr would never have been traded here in place of Iginla.

So, what is to compare? Give it a rest already.

I am not comparing the two....if you read the thread, multiple people are. I agree with you that it was not like it was an option and the Pens chose Iginla. Jagr was never an option. I am sure he is playing better because it is against his former team and he has extra motivation.

It's the same as Boston fans claiming they got the better of the "deal" by Iginla saying no, forcing them to get Jagr. Jagr did absolutely NOTHING for the Bruins until last night (regular season and playoffs).

Technically they did get a better deal. Iginla isn't slowing their team down right now :pop:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 pm

penny lane wrote:I have watched a lot of hockey in my years, that game last night was as stressed as I've been , at live action or on TV. I watched the last 3 periods muted/radio on. :lol:
B Morrow zero shots; I thought he would take his shot in OT as GWG. not to be. reality bites

Yeah. I haven't been in that mindset as I was last night in a long time. Not even during Flyers or Red Wings in recent years. What I saw was a team that was matched and equaled and there was nothing to be done about it in the face of falling down 0-3 in the series.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:10 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Iginla was amongst the top 6 scorers in the playoffs prior to this series. Was he a disappointment then? Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury are all to blame before you look at Iginla.

For me at least, I've been saying he's not played well since the Isles' series.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Iginla has been a disappointment pretty much since joining up. Starting with him making Orpik shoot the puck into Crosby's face.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 pm

pfim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Iginla was amongst the top 6 scorers in the playoffs prior to this series. Was he a disappointment then? Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury are all to blame before you look at Iginla.

I'm more disappointed in Crosby/Fleury/Letang than I am Iginla. But that may just be me.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pfim wrote:

I'm more disappointed in Crosby/Fleury/Letang than I am Iginla. But that may just be me.

Iginla is certainly performing closer to what should have been expected.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins