USA today post about trading Malkin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

USA today post about trading Malkin

Postby MarioLives on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 pm

I dont usually post ideas from papers that know nothing about hockey, but I am tired of reading about Pens/Bruins.....did anyone else see this, and if so, what if any thought do you put in this?

http://thehockeywriters.com/should-the- ... ni-malkin/
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: USA today post about trading Malkin

Postby thepittman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm

No thanks
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I think it's delusional. Malkin to the Kings will never die I guess.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I dont agree with the premise of the article at all. "If the Kings are going to lose Bernier any way" why would the Pens give up one of the best players in the league and downgrade to Kopitar? I could see the Pens making a trade for Bernier alone, but not at the expense of Malkin. I'm retrospect we could have used the picks/prospects we wasted on Iginla and Morrow to get a true centerpiece.
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Find a sucker to take Letang and we'll talk.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Not even sure Kings would trade Kopitar. Malkin's better but sometimes chemistry is more important and Kopitar just fits there. I am not willing to trade Malkin anyway.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:43 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I dont agree with the premise of the article at all. "If the Kings are going to lose Bernier any way" why would the Pens give up one of the best players in the league and downgrade to Kopitar? I could see the Pens making a trade for Bernier alone, but not at the expense of Malkin. I'm retrospect we could have used the picks/prospects we wasted on Iginla and Morrow to get a true centerpiece.

My thoughts exactly......why give up something if you dont have too?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm more interested in what the Kings would want in return for Bernier alone.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm more interested in what the Kings would want in return for Bernier alone.

Maybe a Norris Candidate. Bwhahaha
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:59 pm

It's just as ludicrous to think about trading Malkin as it would be to trade Crosby. Maybe even more so from a purely on-ice perspective.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 pm

I'd consider something involving Letang for Bernier, maybe, but not Malkin. Move Malkin and you might as well move Neal too. Tanger creates a lot of offense and logs big minutes, but he doesn't play smart defensive hockey.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm probably in the vast minority, but I'd honestly entertain taking that deal.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 pm

why are the kings trading for malkin?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:22 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:I'd consider something involving Letang for Bernier, maybe, but not Malkin. Move Malkin and you might as well move Neal too. Tanger creates a lot of offense and logs big minutes, but he doesn't play smart defensive hockey.

A lot can happen in 2 weeks. Letang was considered a lock for the Norris Trophy, now we are shipping him out of town for LA's back up goalie.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:25 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:I'd consider something involving Letang for Bernier, maybe, but not Malkin. Move Malkin and you might as well move Neal too. Tanger creates a lot of offense and logs big minutes, but he doesn't play smart defensive hockey.

A lot can happen in 2 weeks. Letang was considered a lock for the Norris Trophy, now we are shipping him out of town for LA's back up goalie.

I'd argue that Letang is a Norris candidate despite his defensive play. He's pretty much only there because of the stat line. People had been wanting to ship him out earlier because it's pretty obvious he's going to ask for more money than the Pens should be willing to pay him (and that number, surely, has been going down since these playoffs started).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm

I'll trade Letang before trading Malkin.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rugbymuffin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Stupid.

I have no idea what that would accomplish besides making this team worse.

Stupid idea.

As a Cardinals fan in football it is the same craziness that is stated about Larry Fitzgerald.

You don't trade your best player ...... ever.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'd argue that Letang is a Norris candidate despite his defensive play.

Letang is only palatable because he puts up a lot of points. Take that away (which is what has happened this series) and you have a below average defensman who constantly makes poor decisions with the puck / has bad defensive zone awareness.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'd argue that Letang is a Norris candidate despite his defensive play.

Letang is only palatable because he puts up a lot of points. Take that away (which is what has happened this series) and you have a below average defensman who constantly makes poor decisions with the puck / has bad defensive zone awareness.

... that's basically what I said.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:34 pm

I don't get why people think Malikin is untouchable ? It'll probably come down to economics, if you want to maintain a winning franchise you have to make tough decisions, if you think you can keep Sid/Geno and build a Cup winner around them in the economic climate of the league you keep him, if not he gots to go. Hopefully with the return, maybe draft picks or whatever you can put pieces in place to win.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Darren Dreger tweets: "Ongoing speculation suggests Malkin could command $15 mil per year tax free in KHL. Not saying he takes it, but it's there."

Scary! We could lose Malkin and get nothing. Would that be a factor in a consideration to trade him now? He got his taste of playing in the KHL this year. Maybe he liked it.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:38 pm

I'll be very much unhappy if they trade Geno. He has become my favorite Pen since the retirement of Mario. Sure Sid is great, but Malkin's dominant play at times is what I really enjoy.

I hate these uncertain times.

I really hope the Pens ring up the Oilers and get Nail Yakupov for Letang trade talks going.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Bathgate wrote:Darren Dreger tweets: "Ongoing speculation suggests Malkin could command $15 mil per year tax free in KHL. Not saying he takes it, but it's there."

Scary! We could lose Malkin and get nothing. Would that be a factor in a consideration to trade him now? He got his taste of playing in the KHL this year. Maybe he liked it.

I wouldn't say we get "nothing". Yes we will loose an all world talent but we would receive $8.7m in cap space in return. But yeah, that won't help in extension talks for sure. :face:
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Bathgate wrote:Darren Dreger tweets: "Ongoing speculation suggests Malkin could command $15 mil per year tax free in KHL. Not saying he takes it, but it's there."

....before anyone chimes in with "he wants to play in best league in the world"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bullspit, no one's THAT noble with @15mil on the line and playing in YOUR country playing glorified pond hockey.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:41 pm

I thought you were about to say that the KHL was the best league in the world. I was all set to agree with you.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins