USA today post about trading Malkin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: USA today post about trading Malkin

Postby joe icepick on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

joe icepick wrote:Even my wife that doesn't know jack about hockey, ******** about Fleury.

complains
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm

As we all well know, it doesn't take a person who knows anything about hockey to complain about a goalie.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Guinness wrote:As we all well know, it doesn't take a person who knows anything about hockey to complain about a goalie everyone.

Fix't.

If you're complaining about Paul Martin, it's pretty obvious you aren't watching the games.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Oh yeah, because a different coach means Malkin hits the net rather than the post in the 3rd period :roll:

Are you relation of Bylsma's?

I love Bylsma hockey as the next guy. However he continues moving on with no adjustments..his handling of the personnel he was given is novice to say the least....

different coach and the players are put in a better position. If the players are put in a better position would they have scored more than 2 goals in 210 plus mins of hockey? Just answer that last question.

I have no idea how on earth you could be sticking up for bylsma at this point with an offense that has ...again...scored 2 GOALS IN 210 PLUS MINS OF HOCKEY. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm

We need better muckers and grinders as well. A few guys that get into the goalies kitchen if ya know what I mean.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

joe icepick wrote:I just don't know how the Pens keep Letang, Fleury, Niskanen, Martin, Iginla, Morrow. For the love of god get a goalie that can play the puck and a powerplay quarterback. A little team speed would help to. Why did the Pens stand there and let the Bruins retrieve the puck along the boards. Bylsma has got to go. Get a coach with some nads.

They already have a good PP QB, but HCDB would rather have "5th forward" Letang in that spot. Martin was solid in that role when Letang went down. His shot is weak, but he distributes the puck well and stays in position.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby eddiefromirwin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:42 pm

If Malkin is planning on going back to play in the KHL, I imagine Shero will discuss this with him, and if this turns out to be the case, bank on Letang being resigned to a long term deal.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm

you never trade a player like malkin. never.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:If Malkin is planning on going back to play in the KHL, I imagine Shero will discuss this with him, and if this turns out to be the case, bank on Letang being resigned to a long term deal.

This doesn't comfort me.

Not because I'd miss Malkin (though I would a little bit). But because I don't want the Pens chained to Letang for a ridiculous sum of money. He isn't worth it.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 am

Trading Malkin is the dumb you just can't beat out of people. Especially with Staal gone, the Pens can't back fill.

Losing doesn't put the Pens in a rebuild mode. Get a new coach and see how the stars respond. Trade Fleury and see what his buddies do. There is no return worth Malkin right now.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Elementary Penguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 am

This is all purely hypothetical, and I’m not even saying that it’s a good idea.

-The only smart thing in that article
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 am

Yeah, no way to trading Malks. Insanely stupid idea.

We still have a good base of a team. I think we need better role players, a new coach, and a goalie.
The only thing over the last 4 years that worries me is Sid. Maybe he brings it tonight?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 am

bhaw wrote:Trading Malkin is the dumb you just can't beat out of people. Especially with Staal gone, the Pens can't back fill.

Losing doesn't put the Pens in a rebuild mode. Get a new coach and see how the stars respond. Trade Fleury and see what his buddies do. There is no return worth Malkin right now.

Crosby?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 am

.....this situation is going to be resolved by dollars and cents, do I want to see Malkin go, of course not, but I do understand the economics of the game might force the issue. I said in here earlier, if you can build a Cup winner with Crosby/Malkin both then you don't trade him, but if his salary limits your franchise, then he has to go, this team doesn't need both of these guys to win a Cup. Look at the previous winner post 2009 where are Crosby/Malkin on those teams. I know Crosby isn't going to be the one to go. I like watching these guys play on the same team, but as a fan are you satisified with playoff failures, and are happy you can watch them on the regular season and don't care about the Cup. Money might make it impossible to have it both ways, those two together and a Cup.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 am

The KHL thing is the concern really. If I'm Geno, I take it. He is in his prime earnings years and the Pens have shown very little ability to win the cup the past several years so why does Geno think that changes the next several years and even if it does, is winning a cup worth $8-10M? Not for me.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:32 am

Evgeni can be best in the NHL; has been, can be again.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The KHL thing is the concern really. If I'm Geno, I take it. He is in his prime earnings years and the Pens have shown very little ability to win the cup the past several years so why does Geno think that changes the next several years and even if it does, is winning a cup worth $8-10M? Not for me.

going to the KHL is about more than money. if it wasn't then more "star" level Russian NHLers would do it. athletes like Geno want to play against the best players in the world. that opportunity is only had in the NHL (Olympics not withstanding).
team and travel conditions: when it comes to luxury traveling in the KHL and life in Russia doesn't even come close to what players have here in North America. on a daily basis NHL players have the best of everything. not so much in Russia. as an individual you can have a nice house, nice car, nice clothes but you can't improve the team's arena, training facilities, travel conditions, country's infrastructure etc.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 am

My only thinking in regards to Malkin and the KHL. What could have changed in the last 7 years that makes him so willing to go back to a league he had to flea the country from in the first place?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 am

Kovalchoo willingly stayed in NJ, rather than go to the KHL.
That should tell you everything.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:46 am

none of us can understand what might motivate him to take the KHL offer, and none of us is playing a sport in a country we're not from, and he has pretty much done everything in this league already, so why not go home?? I think too much might be made about competition levels at this point, is there any doubt he's proven he can be the best in the game in the NHL? Twice the money and being home and still playing hockey might be enough for him at this point.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:00 am

This KHL crap came up last time and was all just rumor mongering FUD. I can't wait till he is resigned so that we can stop this crap yet again.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins