USA today post about trading Malkin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: USA today post about trading Malkin

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:42 pm

..LOL!!!!
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:43 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:I'd consider something involving Letang for Bernier, maybe, but not Malkin. Move Malkin and you might as well move Neal too. Tanger creates a lot of offense and logs big minutes, but he doesn't play smart defensive hockey.

A lot can happen in 2 weeks. Letang was considered a lock for the Norris Trophy, now we are shipping him out of town for LA's back up goalie.

I'd argue that Letang is a Norris candidate despite his defensive play.

Letang is only palatable because he puts up a lot of points. Take that away (which is what has happened this series) and you have a below average defensman who constantly makes poor decisions with the puck / has bad defensive zone awareness.

... that's basically what I said.

How so? You said that he is still a Norris Candidate despite his defensive play. How can a guy be the league's best defenseman and suck at defense?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:45 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
How so? You said that he is still a Norris Candidate despite his defensive play. How can a guy be the league's best defenseman and suck at defense?

How do you think Erik Karlsson won the award?

How do you think guys like Mike Green keep getting nominated for the award?

It's not because of their defensive play.

The Norris is a terrible trophy. There's no way to quantify "Best Defenseman in the League", just as there's no way to quantify "Best Defensive Forward" or "Best show of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct".

Letang is nominated just as Karlsson and Green (and Paul Coffey before them) have been nominated: He scored a bunch of points.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:I'd consider something involving Letang for Bernier, maybe, but not Malkin. Move Malkin and you might as well move Neal too. Tanger creates a lot of offense and logs big minutes, but he doesn't play smart defensive hockey.

A lot can happen in 2 weeks. Letang was considered a lock for the Norris Trophy, now we are shipping him out of town for LA's back up goalie.

I've said for a while that one of Letang or Malkin is going to have to go for this team to be successful moving forward. For starters, these guys are going to make bank, and the Penguins can't afford three $7+ million players, while still fielding a competitive roster from top to bottom. Add in that Letang isn't even the best overall defenseman on this team, and it magnifies the craziness in the contract he is going to get. Also, consider that the Penguins are loaded with defense prospects, some of whom (Despres) are ready for a full-time gig, and others of whom are close. And, since Malkin represents moderately young offense on a team that lacks prospect depth in that area, it makes dealing him less likely.

Letang is an amazing player and an amazing talent. He's also boneheaded and lacks smarts. In an NHL without a salary cap, there's now way I'd deal him. But we're in a salary cap era in a time when the cap is going to drop swiftly. Having a player like Letang (while also icing generational offensive talents in Crosby and Malkin) is a luxury a team just can't afford.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:48 pm

you can have Malkin when you pry him from my cold, dead hands!!!!

wait, what?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 pm

since1970 wrote:
Bathgate wrote:Darren Dreger tweets: "Ongoing speculation suggests Malkin could command $15 mil per year tax free in KHL. Not saying he takes it, but it's there."

Scary! We could lose Malkin and get nothing. Would that be a factor in a consideration to trade him now? He got his taste of playing in the KHL this year. Maybe he liked it.

....before anyone chimes in with "he wants to play in best league in the world"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bullspit, no one's THAT noble with @15mil on the line and playing in YOUR country playing glorified pond hockey.

And just to add some fuel to the fire -- and who knows how big of an impact this would play, given his age -- but Gonchar is apparently very close to returning to the KHL to play with Magnitigorsk. Is it unreasonable for Malkin to think the Penguins have peaked and view returning home to play with one of his best friends while making absolute bank is a bad idea? I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:why are the kings trading for malkin?

Considering they could go back to back cup champs. I'm looking at Malkin and saying no thanks. The team landscape would be altered way too much from an already winning formula.

That being said, Letang for Bernier and Dustin Brown :pop:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm

If it's $15 million tax free and I'm Malkin, I'm thinking about it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

The Norris is a terrible trophy. There's no way to quantify "Best Defenseman in the League", just as there's no way to quantify "Best Defensive Forward" or "Best show of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct".

Letang is nominated just as Karlsson and Green (and Paul Coffey before them) have been nominated: He scored a bunch of points.

Weber / Sutter / Chara
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 pm

since1970 wrote:
Bathgate wrote:Darren Dreger tweets: "Ongoing speculation suggests Malkin could command $15 mil per year tax free in KHL. Not saying he takes it, but it's there."

Scary! We could lose Malkin and get nothing. Would that be a factor in a consideration to trade him now? He got his taste of playing in the KHL this year. Maybe he liked it.

....before anyone chimes in with "he wants to play in best league in the world"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bullspit, no one's THAT noble with @15mil on the line and playing in YOUR country playing glorified pond hockey.

The Pens play glorified pond hockey. The only problem is in pond hockey you score more than 1 goal a game.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:10 pm

since1970 wrote:

That offer will always be there and he knows it.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:15 pm

If you trade Malkin you are going to be losing value in Neal. He won't score 40 with Kopitar. Trade Letang to COL for the 1st overall pick then let them trade him to where ever they would like.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Seriously though, if you've done all Malkin has done in the NHL, after your contract is up why wouldn't you go HOME to mother Russia, is level of competition enough to keep him.. 48,207,765.5 rubles ain't nothing to sneeze at!!!
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Weber / Sutter / Chara

And only 1 of them has actually won it (and I'd argue that it was more on name recognition than anything else). One of the other 3 is a forward.

But please, continue to ignore the fact that Karlsson won solely because of his offense last year, and Mike Green was nominated multiple times before injuries hampered his career.

Would you say Karlsson and Green are good at defense?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:29 pm

I believe different coach and this article is never written.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Oh yeah, because a different coach means Malkin hits the net rather than the post in the 3rd period :roll:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Letang for Scuderi?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 pm

If this were NHL 13, all you'd have to do is package Letang with a couple first round picks for Bernier AND Doughty. Hell, if we toss in Fleury we'd probably be able to swap in Quick!
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Oh yeah, because a different coach means Malkin hits the net rather than the post in the 3rd period :roll:

Further, Malkin was the same under Therrien. A different coach isn't going to make Malkin a better player. Only Malkin can do that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 pm

The first comment makes a lot of sense:

Pitt needs to cut Bylsma loose and bring in a new coach. Shero needs to talk with him and figure out what kind of system the coach will run, and then do what he does and field a team based on those parameters. I think it is more likely Letang is the odd man out for salary cap reasons. I also think that Meloche needs replaced. He's not doing anything for Fleury. Also, Fleury gets another look under the new coach since I'm sure the new coach will likely have defensive structure that doesn't leave the goalie out to dry. Just my two cents...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Weber / Sutter / Chara

And only 1 of them has actually won it (and I'd argue that it was more on name recognition than anything else). One of the other 3 is a forward.

But please, continue to ignore the fact that Karlsson won solely because of his offense last year, and Mike Green was nominated multiple times before injuries hampered his career.

Would you say Karlsson and Green are good at defense?

Karlsson was certainly an exception. When a defenseman scores 75+ points its going to garner attention thats what Coffey did as well. Letang isn't even in the same ballpark when it comes to offensive ability.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:42 pm

The time to make excuses for Fleury is officially over. It's not the defense's fault when Fleury is unable to handle a stupid rebound off the ****ing end boards.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Karlsson was certainly an exception. When a defenseman scores 75+ points its going to garner attention thats what Coffey did as well. Letang isn't even in the same ballpark when it comes to offensive ability.

Do what now? Letang is not in Karlsson's "ballpark"?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joe icepick on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:46 pm

I just don't know how the Pens keep Letang, Fleury, Niskanen, Martin, Iginla, Morrow. For the love of god get a goalie that can play the puck and a powerplay quarterback. A little team speed would help to. Why did the Pens stand there and let the Bruins retrieve the puck along the boards. Bylsma has got to go. Get a coach with some nads.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Even my wife that doesn't know jack about hockey, ******** about Fleury.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins