When will it be over for you?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

When will it be over for you?

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm

discuss.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,772
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:18 pm

I honestly thought they were going to win the series until the game ended last night. Its 99% over for me now :( . Hopefully they prove me wrong
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm

When the clock hits 0:00 in the final period of the final pens game.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,010
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: The biggest Pearl Jam fan in Pittsburgh.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 pm

pens in 4 baby?

I've almost accepted the series loss but, hey, maybe that's what our guys need and they're just going to go out and play their hearts out. We can do it. Wooo (just 3 o's for lack of confidence lol).
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby flame on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 pm

When they lose the 4th game.

This team has a lot of talent.

If anyone can come back from 0 - 3 down it's them.

If you believe that the sports betting odds are close then we are 45 % to win game 4. Even if the odds are we are 40 % in the road games and 50 % in the home games, the odds of winning all 4 are then our odds are 1 / 25. The vegas odds have us winning the series right now about 1 in 10 times.

BELIEVE
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Shaved my beard before bed last night, as should the rest of the team. If they believe they have a chance to win this series, they need to know they're starting from scratch. Everything ended and started simultaneously after the OT goal.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,945
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby offsides on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Sorry, but I just can't se any positives in this series. I will be extremely surprised if they even make it a game Friday. I'll watch the game, but will not be confident at all. Bottom line, to me it is over and just waiting for the fat lady to sing.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,452
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 pm

offsides wrote:Sorry, but I just can't se any positives in this series. I will be extremely surprised if they even make it a game Friday. I'll watch the game, but will not be confident at all. Bottom line, to me it is over and just waiting for the fat lady to sing.


keep this bookmarked

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby offsides on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
offsides wrote:Sorry, but I just can't se any positives in this series. I will be extremely surprised if they even make it a game Friday. I'll watch the game, but will not be confident at all. Bottom line, to me it is over and just waiting for the fat lady to sing.


keep this bookmarked



:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't believe where you guys find this stuff. :thumb: Awesome
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,452
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 pm

^ she has a ton of songs on youtube. i think she thinks she can sing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Stick a fork in 'em.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,424
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:55 pm

When will it begin?
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: The Records Room

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 pm

1. When Bylsma is fired.
2. When NHL Draft starts

NHL Draft is the official start of a new season for me. I love it.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,598
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:15 pm

The correct answer is, "When the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor."
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,199
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:30 pm

When Fleury gave up a goal with 8 seconds left in the 1st of Game 2 to make it 4-1
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,342
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm telling you, if the 2010 Flyers, who were banged up and done like dinner, could do it, then so can the 2013 Pens. Sure, the chances are slim, but I witnessed first hand that series change one shift, one period, one game at a time. It built on itself little by little.

It made me utterly sick then, and it gives me a glimmer of hope now.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,856
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I'm telling you, if the 2010 Flyers, who were banged up and done like dinner, could do it, then so can the 2013 Pens. Sure, the chances are slim, but I witnessed first hand that series change one shift, one period, one game at a time. It built on itself little by little.

It made me utterly sick then, and it gives me a glimmer of hope now.


i understand and you are right but how can anyone believe in this team right now? I know we played hard last night but look how hard we had to work to buy a goal and if its that hard to score all series along with us getting no bounces then i dont see how we would go 4 straight games without having one game where we play like last night and lose.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm

I doesn't make sense really. In 2008 and 2009, when Staal, Crosby, Fleury, and Malkin were all in the early 20s they made it to the Finals twice. Since then their supporting cast has become better and better, but somehow the results aren't there.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,167
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:14 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I'm telling you, if the 2010 Flyers, who were banged up and done like dinner, could do it, then so can the 2013 Pens. Sure, the chances are slim, but I witnessed first hand that series change one shift, one period, one game at a time. It built on itself little by little.

It made me utterly sick then, and it gives me a glimmer of hope now.


i understand and you are right but how can anyone believe in this team right now? I know we played hard last night but look how hard we had to work to buy a goal and if its that hard to score all series along with us getting no bounces then i dont see how we would go 4 straight games without having one game where we play like last night and lose.


To answer your question, I honestly don't know how anyone can believe in this team right now. I guess if you want, you try to muster up the energy to try. If you don't, then you don't. No one is right, no one is wrong.

Bear with me, please.

The most nervous I ever was during the Stanley Cup playoffs was round 1 in 1999, when the Pens were the 8 seed playing the 1st-seeded New Jersey Devils. The Pens were trailing 3 games to 2 going into game 6; they gutted it out in OT to amazingly force a game 7. Absolutely no one expected the Pens to win that series. They had been playing way over their heads so far going into game 7, they were overmatched, on the road, and Jagr had a serious groin injury. Jagr came back in game 7 wearing these special compression shorts to help him even skate. He could barely push off.

What compounded the angst was that the organization itself was in dire straits. I distinctly recall the announcer melodramatically remarking that game 6 of that PIT-NJ series was likely the last game ever for the Pens in Pittsburgh. Paraphrasing, I remember something like, "These fans wonder if they'll ever see their team again." The team, already in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, was headed toward folding altogether. I sat there not just praying for my team to win but praying for it to survive at all. In my crazy fan mind I had associated the two disparate situations; I naively thought pulling off the upset would buy us all time (wat?!). I just wanted one more game, one more game, one more game...

If you had told me the morning of that game 7 vs. New Jersey that we would pull off that huge upset with a one-legged Jagr, eventually survive, and be where we are now, I'd have thought you were nuts. (Of course, the angst flared up again in the second round; when the Pens lost to Toronto, I thought I'd never see my beloved team again.)

But we know how it all eventually unfolded after that. I'm certain that this little tale and whatever point behind it make absolutely zero-zilch-nada sense to many :) , but it still does to me. :lol: I guess that's how I can bring myself to believe that amazing things can happen.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,856
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I'm telling you, if the 2010 Flyers, who were banged up and done like dinner, could do it, then so can the 2013 Pens. Sure, the chances are slim, but I witnessed first hand that series change one shift, one period, one game at a time. It built on itself little by little.

It made me utterly sick then, and it gives me a glimmer of hope now.


i understand and you are right but how can anyone believe in this team right now? I know we played hard last night but look how hard we had to work to buy a goal and if its that hard to score all series along with us getting no bounces then i dont see how we would go 4 straight games without having one game where we play like last night and lose.


To answer your question, I honestly don't know how anyone can believe in this team right now. I guess if you want, you try to muster up the energy to try. If you don't, then you don't. No one is right, no one is wrong.

Bear with me, please.

The most nervous I ever was during the Stanley Cup playoffs was round 1 in 1999, when the Pens were the 8 seed playing the 1st-seeded New Jersey Devils. The Pens were trailing 3 games to 2 going into game 6; they gutted it out in OT to amazingly force a game 7. Absolutely no one expected the Pens to win that series. They had been playing way over their heads so far going into game 7, they were overmatched, on the road, and Jagr had a serious groin injury. Jagr came back in game 7 wearing these special compression shorts to help him even skate. He could barely push off.

What compounded the angst was that the organization itself was in dire straits. I distinctly recall the announcer melodramatically remarking that game 6 of that PIT-NJ series was likely the last game ever for the Pens in Pittsburgh. Paraphrasing, I remember something like, "These fans wonder if they'll ever see their team again." The team, already in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, was headed toward folding altogether. I sat there not just praying for my team to win but praying for it to survive at all. In my crazy fan mind I had associated the two disparate situations; I naively thought pulling off the upset would buy us all time (wat?!). I just wanted one more game, one more game, one more game...

If you had told me the morning of that game 7 vs. New Jersey that we would pull off that huge upset with a one-legged Jagr, eventually survive, and be where we are now, I'd have thought you were nuts. (Of course, the angst flared up again in the second round; when the Pens lost to Toronto, I thought I'd never see my beloved team again.)

But we know it all unfolded after that. I'm certain that this little tale and whatever point behind it make absolutely zero-zilch-nada sense to many :) , but it still does to me. :lol: I guess that's how I can bring myself to believe that amazing things can happen.


I was at that Game 6 in 99. It was like a day before or after my 16th birthday. I still have the ticket stub from it. I still have never ever heard the Igloo as loud as it was when Jagr scored in OT. I can remember Straka streaking down the boards and sending it cross ice to Jagr who buried it. I hugged people I didn't know that day. I was about 10 rows behind the Devils goal when that goal was scored.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,163
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm

I appreciate your optimism. Heck I admire and respect it. I just don't share it.

It was over for me when they had such trouble with the Isles. I knew in my heart then, that this team wasn't going to win the 'Cup this year.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Skullman, thanks for indulging my tl;dr moment. I'm picturing how joyful a 16 year-old kid would react. I was almost twice that age and shrieking like a schoolgirl!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,856
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:23 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I appreciate your optimism. Heck I admire and respect it. I just don't share it.

It was over for me when they had such trouble with the Isles. I knew in my heart then, that this team wasn't going to win the 'Cup this year.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer


You don't ever need to apologize, EPP. :fist:

Seriously. I don't know how strong my faith is, tbh. I'm just keeping a candle in the window.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,856
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:Skullman, thanks for indulging my tl;dr moment. I'm picturing how joyful a 16 year-old kid would react. I was almost twice that age and shrieking like a schoolgirl!


My ticket stub, was actually two days before my 16th birthday haha. I spoilered it so it didn't make the page go crazy. Crazy how the ticket was only 16$, I got it from student rush(it was in its early years back then)

Spoiler:
Image
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,163
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: When will it be over for you?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm

16.00

Ah, those were the dys
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, ffemtreed, FLPensFan, meecrofilm, no name and 29 guests


e-mail