If you've given up, get out...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If you've given up, get out...

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:The longer the Pens can stay alive in the series, the better chance they have of pulling off the upset. Boston can't be expected to have any letdowns, they're too good, but no team can sustain this type of play AND get all the bounces for very long. If the Pens make Boston earn it, go out and skate hard, maybe get a few early goals, they'll have to open up a bit and the Pens will have more room to skate.

If the Pens win tonight it will be no big deal, but if they win game 5, every Boston fan and player will be thinking back to 2010. It's just human nature. At that point it will become a series in which one team has nothing to lose and the other has every reason to panic.

Agreed. I believe we put a crack in the dam. It's time to bring that sucker down!

Let's Go Pens!
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Admin wrote:Avoid getting swept.

8-)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

The Pens have not believed they would score against Boston since middle of the 2nd period Game 1. That loss of confidence is why they're down 3-0.

If they can get a couple past him, then the floodgates just might open up...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

There is unfinished business here.

The thought of a Stanley Cup Finals without the Penguins makes me ill.

Crosby and Malkin are too good to not put up points against this team.

I'm IN!
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm

I am going to predict that we score on our 1st power play opportunity tonight and just roll through game 4.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm

No one can win anything without hope. This thread and the positive response so far is hope. And while hope is not helpful in many aspects of real life, hope is good in sport.

The Pens players have not lost hope. They know they can win tonight. One game at a time.

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Some good points brought up here. Things working in our favor:

1. The Pens have won a Cup before. They know what it takes. That knowledge is a powerful confidence booster.
2. Iginla and Morrow can provide valuable leadership in this situation. this is a big reason why they were brought into the room.
3. The bounces are bound to start going the Pens' way. You can't hit that many posts without some starting to go in. We're more than due.
4. This Bruins team blew a 3-0 lead to Philly three years ago and Rask was in net. No way that is not in the back of their minds.
5. The Pens won 15 straight during the year and 3/3 against Boston. They can do 4 in a row.
6. If the Pens can win the next two the pressure gets turned up EXPONENTIALLY against Boston and game 5 is at home.
And most importantly...
7. We have the cool, calm, steely inspiration of The Living Legend Mario Lemieux in our corner. Never doubt Lemieux.

It can be done. Go Pens.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:Some good points brought up here. Things working in our favor:

1. The Pens have won a Cup before. They know what it takes. That knowledge is a powerful confidence booster.
2. Iginla and Morrow can provide valuable leadership in this situation. this is a big reason why they were brought into the room.
3. The bounces are bound to start going the Pens' way. You can't hit that many posts without some starting to go in. We're more than due.
4. This Bruins team blew a 3-0 lead to Philly three years ago and Rask was in net. No way that is not in the back of their minds.
5. The Pens won 15 straight during the year and 3/3 against Boston. They can do 4 in a row.
6. If the Pens can win the next two the pressure gets turned up EXPONENTIALLY against Boston and game 5 is at home.
And most importantly...
7. We have the cool, calm, steely inspiration of The Living Legend Mario Lemieux in our corner. Never doubt Lemieux.

It can be done. Go Pens.

Don't forget, the Bruins won a cup more recently than the Pens.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sams_Dog on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

And most importantly...

It can be done. Go Pens.

Don't forget, the Bruins won a cup more recently than the Pens.

Yeah but they won it against Vancouver who deserved to lose. Plus they had Recchi on their team then.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:40 pm

If this doesn't fire yinz up then nothing will.

Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Current One on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Pens in......fore!!!!!!!
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:32 pm

And most importantly...

It can be done. Go Pens.

Yes! Also, remember that when it comes to goal scoring, Detroit outscored us 17-14 in the '09 series and look how that worked out for us.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:36 pm

And most importantly...

It can be done. Go Pens.

I'm sure their leadership is just fine, and would make Pierre real proud. Kind of wish they came with some speed and maybe some points too.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavement on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 pm

I would love the Pens to win this game. Just give us something guys. Lets Go Pens!
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:43 pm

topshelf wrote:

And most importantly...

It can be done. Go Pens.

Yes! Also, remember that when it comes to goal scoring, Detroit outscored us 17-14 in the '09 series and look how that worked out for us.

One of the greatest teams in Pittsburgh sports history, the 1960 Pirates, were outscored 55-27 by the juggernaut NY Yankees and still won the World Series in 7 games. The Pirates were basically bludgeoned in games 2 and 3 (26-3!!!) and didn't get their crap together until game 4. Game 7 was in Pittsburgh.

I know it's the Bucs, but it's "good Bucs," and I'm using it.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Must win tonight. Hopefully it doesn't go to OT.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

I just don't want the little broom flair next to my name on r/hockey.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Just don't go out getting embarrassed like game 2 please. At least if you get swept, go out like you did in game 3 and give it all you got and I better not see any players not hustling their asses off on every shift. There better be no lazy plays whatsoever.

Play Smart. Play Fast. And Win. That is all
Last edited by iWonTheCup87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:06 pm

Reading conflicting reports on the mood in the Pens' locker room today. Dejan says it's "BLECCCCH" (what is this? Mad magazine?) and "very down." Others say no different than usual to somewhat upbeat (can't find the links now!).

I hope Dejan's not being melodramatic. We have enough of that right now. Maybe it's media gamesmanship? Hell, I don't know what would be the point of that.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
One of the greatest teams in Pittsburgh sports history, the 1960 Pirates, were outscored 55-27 by the juggernaut NY Yankees and still won the World Series in 7 games. The Pirates were basically bludgeoned in games 2 and 3 (26-3!!!) and didn't get their crap together until game 4. Game 7 was in Pittsburgh.

I know it's the Bucs, but it's "good Bucs," and I'm using it.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Dave Molinari @MolinariPG

If Penguins are stressed out about being on the cusp of elimination, it doesn't show at their game-day skate. Players are lively, animated.
11:53 AM - 7 Jun 2013
Admin
Site Admin

Postby topshelf66 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:14 pm

There are likely different emotions in the room. I hope that the guys that won a cup together look across the room and see their brothers and understand that this could be thier last game together. They understand that they do not want the last thing they do together on the ice is get swept our of the ECF when they are the favorites. That they put aside their personal ambitions and trust their teammates and play for the love of the game and for one another.

There will also be some with WAGs that have already made reservatons at the beach or plans with their families at the lake cabin.

I hope that the former outweigh the letter.

I personally have pre-game dinner reservation on Sunday.

Let's Go Pens!
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Admin wrote:Dave Molinari @MolinariPG

If Penguins are stressed out about being on the cusp of elimination, it doesn't show at their game-day skate. Players are lively, animated.

Thanks, Admin! This is one of the things I read that contradicts Dejan's report.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Candleonwater on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:17 pm

So, what you're saying is... I shouldn't find a way to put NO ONE as my answer for Pens Predictor (who's going to score the first pens goal tonight)? At the very least, since I NEVER get that correct, I would be guaranteeing the Pens at least one goal tonight.

But seriously. We left Pittsburgh broken hearted last Sunday. Not ready for the season to be over, but they, ANYONE, have got to figure out how to score!

Will be there, in front of my tv, screaming at the top of my lungs... pissing off my neighbors.
Candleonwater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Admin wrote:Dave Molinari @MolinariPG

Thanks, Admin! This is one of the things I read that contradicts Dejan's report.

Maybe the team just doesn't like DK being in the room. :pop:
Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins