Pens, Flyers discussing game at Penn State's Beaver Stadium

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens, Flyers discussing game at Penn State's Beaver Stadium

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Not to get off today's topic, but this should happen:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... um-690757/
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Pens, Flyers discussing game at Penn State's Beaver Stad

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 pm

As someone from Harrisburg, yes please.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm

this has been mentioned many years ago. not as exciting as it once could've been

watereddownevents
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:56 pm

canaan wrote:this has been mentioned many years ago. not as exciting as it once could've been

watereddownevents

Agree 100%.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nick92 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm

This would be awesome. I live about 20 minutes away.
Nick92
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:00 pm

canaan wrote:this has been mentioned many years ago. not as exciting as it once could've been

watereddownevents

Do not agree. This would be a huge event between the 2 sides of the State. Yes, there have been many outdoor events lately, but not 2 bitter rivals from the same state. I'd be worried about security actually!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Wow, 55,000 fans of both teams trying to drown out the Flyers Suck/Crosby sucks chants
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Pitts wrote:

watereddownevents

Do not agree. This would be a huge event between the 2 sides of the State. Yes, there have been many outdoor events lately, but not 2 bitter rivals from the same state. I'd be worried about security actually!

Leery old lady moment: I can imagine a circus and some total BS happening (started by the Phans, natch 8-) ). Like PSU needs more bad publicity.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:08 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:As someone from Harrisburg, yes please.

I second that!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:08 pm

My body is ready
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 pm

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 pm

This is something I don't think would have ever been possible while JVP was still head coach.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 pm

outdoor games are garbage. pass.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Pitts wrote:

watereddownevents

Leery old lady moment: I can imagine a circus and some total BS happening (started by the Phans, natch 8-) ). Like PSU needs more bad publicity.

I was about to post something about the brawls that would break out in the parking fields.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Im tired of these games. But I TOTALLY disagree with the site of this proposed game. Why should the Pens or the Flyers give the huge ecomomic benefits of hosting this game to a non-HNL site? I think that the primary markets should enjoy the benefits of these games. Either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. I don't give a darm about the giving huge economic boosts to State College, or Ann Arbor for that mattter.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:34 pm

jamespensfan wrote:Im tired of these games. But I TOTALLY disagree with the site of this proposed game. Why should the Pens or the Flyers give the huge ecomomic benefits of hosting this game to a non-HNL site? I think that the primary markets should enjoy the benefits of these games. Either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. I don't give a darm about the giving huge economic boosts to State College, or Ann Arbor for that mattter.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'd rather see a home and home than a game in the middle of th state.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 pm

jamespensfan wrote:Im tired of these games. But I TOTALLY disagree with the site of this proposed game. Why should the Pens or the Flyers give the huge ecomomic benefits of hosting this game to a non-HNL site? I think that the primary markets should enjoy the benefits of these games. Either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. I don't give a darm about the giving huge economic boosts to State College, or Ann Arbor for that mattter.

The Pens' market through the midstate has picked up substantially over the past few years. The same could be said about the opposite of your sentiment: Ya'll get the home games, and some of us just can't find the time to drive 7 hours in a day to get to either venue.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Beaver Stadium holds roughly 5.5X the number of fans that Consol does. I can't even imagine 50,000 fans from both teams...it would be pretty epic.

Is the economic impact really THAT substantial? I can't imagine it being any more/less than any other football weekend aside from maybe ticket prices...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nick92 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:01 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:

The Pens' market through the midstate has picked up substantially over the past few years. The same could be said about the opposite of your sentiment: Ya'll get the home games, and some of us just can't find the time to drive 7 hours in a day to get to either venue.

:thumb:

Also, State College is smack dab in the middle of PA. Great "neutral" area to bring the fans from both sides in.
Nick92
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:10 pm

That's nice. I won't be going. One stadium game is more than enough for me.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Who loses the home game?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:10 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Beaver Stadium holds roughly 5.5X the number of fans that Consol does. I can't even imagine 50,000 fans from both teams...it would be pretty epic.

Is the economic impact really THAT substantial? I can't imagine it being any more/less than any other football weekend aside from maybe ticket prices...

I would plan a few days in State College around this event. Zeno's and Waffle Shop would be impacted by me personally.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:15 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:

I am glad you are a fan. I understand it is inconvinent to get to games and drive a great distance. I just believe that the people of NHL markets deserve these HUGE economic benefits first before non-NHL markets.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm

jamespensfan wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

I am glad you are a fan. I understand it is inconvinent to get to games and drive a great distance. I just believe that the people of NHL markets deserve these HUGE economic benefits first before non-NHL markets.

Keep crying :lol:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Beaver Stadium holds roughly 5.5X the number of fans that Consol does. I can't even imagine 50,000 fans from both teams...it would be pretty epic.

I would plan a few days in State College around this event. Zeno's and Waffle Shop would be impacted by me personally.

I have seen the line to the Waffle Shop rival that of the creamery's on some game days. Good luck, you will need it haha.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins