Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm

topshelf wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
topshelf wrote:There are 26 other teams in the NHL that would have been happy losing where we did.

And there are probably only two teams that would have been disappointed losing where we did -- the Blackhawks and us. Can't be content with giving the old college try and coming up short. The goal should always be to finish the (post)season on a win.

Again, you act as if we should be rattling off Stanley Cup Championships. We aren't the Oilers of the 80's. Things have changed. I'm glad that we're competitive and I'm hopeful that we'll be winning another Cup soon.

How about one championship?

Stop accepting mediocrity and calling it great. You're fooling yourself.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 pm

topshelf wrote:There are 26 other teams in the NHL that would have been happy losing where we did.

i'd buy this if the performance wasn't such a disgrace. this statement falls apart simply by looking at boxscores for this series.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 pm

pens2005 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

And there are probably only two teams that would have been disappointed losing where we did -- the Blackhawks and us. Can't be content with giving the old college try and coming up short. The goal should always be to finish the (post)season on a win.

Again, you act as if we should be rattling off Stanley Cup Championships. We aren't the Oilers of the 80's. Things have changed. I'm glad that we're competitive and I'm hopeful that we'll be winning another Cup soon.

So there are 29 mediocre teams every year and one great one?
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:

i'd buy this if the performance wasn't such a disgrace. this statement falls apart simply by looking at boxscores for this series.

That's why this is gonna be a really interesting offseason.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:26 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I still think it was a great season. Just not a good ending.

With this squad having a good regular season isn't even close to enough. In fact, it's nothing. The only thing that matters is the postseason.

And we were absolutely laughable in the ECF.

We are a laughingstock right now. Not thrilled with calling this season a success, because it wasn't.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 pm

pens2005 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

I'm not delusional enough to think they should win every year, but does anyone really believe they are not underachieving? The playoff record since winning the Cup is 20-21. That's not acceptable when you have the talent that the Penguins have. Period. Can't win the Cup every year, but you sure as hell could have done better the last four postseasons. That's all I'm trying to say.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 pm

pens2005 wrote:I'm telling you right now our squad is not great. It's average. 4 straight years of a total ass raping in the playoffs.

What's "great" about that?

What squad is great and has dominated the last four years?
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 pm

topshelf wrote:
pens2005 wrote:I'm telling you right now our squad is not great. It's average. 4 straight years of a total ass raping in the playoffs.

Bruins win again this year and its borderline Devil-esque.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby RentedMule66 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Your schtick is tired. Everyone here is disappointed but quoting others posts and mocking them is just silliness.[/quote]
bingo. Its infantile behavior. Learn to control your emotions. You're like a spurned preteen.[/quote]

haha You call me "infantile" for ranting about being pissed about a ridiculous effort by our hockey team?..Infantile is complaining about "juju" affecting this team.....you guys sound like a 2 year old with "bad juju" talk, like it has any affect on the outcome of a hockey game. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
RentedMule66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 pm

topshelf wrote:

San Jose!

Wait... Washington!

Err... LA!

Detroit?

That's half the fun of the NHL. There's so many good teams now.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 pm

topshelf wrote:

I'm talking about the pens and how it's clear you can't call them great. No other team has lost the way we've lost the last 4 seasons.

Blowing it against Montreal. Blowing a 3-1 series lead against TB, getting embarrassed by Philly, and getting swept scoring just 2 goals in a series against Boston.

What teams have done that?
Last edited by pens2005 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 pm

All I know is we not only got to watch hockey this year after a possible strike, we were one of the top teams in the NHL and we got go watch hockey games in June. Once the hurt goes away im sure yinz will agree. I think some of you younger fans don't know what this team had to go through so you could enjoy winning hockey. I believe we have a very spoiled going fan base. Maybe this will dilute it some.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Avyran wrote:
topshelf wrote:

San Jose!

Wait... Washington!

Err... LA!

Detroit?

The last four Cup winners made it to the final four.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:Your schtick is tired. Everyone here is disappointed but quoting others posts and mocking them is just silliness.

bingo. Its infantile behavior. Learn to control your emotions. You're like a spurned preteen.[/quote]
haha You call me "infantile" for ranting about being pissed about a ridiculous effort by our hockey team?..Infantile is complaining about "juju" affecting this team.....you guys sound like a 2 year old with "bad juju" talk, like it has any affect on the outcome of a hockey game. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Atleast Caanan can quote right.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm

I guess I just don't get depressed or caught up in the shortcomings of millionaires playing sport for high dollars. Dunno where the juju thing came into play, but trying to start fights seems to be your ain so I'll just wish you a good night and move along
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm

pens2005 wrote:

With this squad having a good regular season isn't even close to enough. In fact, it's nothing. The only thing that matters is the postseason.

We are a laughingstock right now. Not thrilled with calling this season a success, because it wasn't.

It's possible to feel both, because I do. I know you can't win every year. No, the world isn't going to end. But, I can also agree that this team wasted an opportunity that they might not get again anytime soon.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby luv66 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm still a bit pissed about this outcome but I kind have been preparing for this since after game 1 of this series so I've had plenty of time to mellow out.I have a hard time believing fans didn't have the thought of a choke in the back of their minds when they have watched this team for the last 3 years.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to changes in the off-season and I can't wait for the next season to start.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Avyran wrote:
topshelf wrote:

San Jose!

Wait... Washington!

Err... LA!

Detroit?

The last four Cup winners made it to the final four.

So you're saying the Pens are consistent, then.

Let's look at last year (Kings win). Pens, Hawks, Bruins ousted in first round.

The year before that (Bruins win). Hawks, Kings, Pens (without a lot of players) lose in first round.

Year before that (Hawks win). Kings lose first round, Pens & Bruins second round.

Year before that (Pens win). Kings don't even make the playoffs, Chicago loses to Detroit in WCF, Bruins lose to the Hurricanes in 2nd round.

Consistency is very, very hard to come by in the modern NHL. Detroit's been knocked out early often as well (2nd round in 2010 & 11, 1st round last year).
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

It's possible to feel both, because I do. I know you can't win every year. No, the world isn't going to end. But, I can also agree that this team wasted an opportunity that they might not get again anytime soon.

Ups to good stuff this year:

1) EC RS champs. Yes, it counts for something.

2) Some amazing RS wins, play, streaks.

3) Vokoun

4) Murray stare

5) New posters coming up big. Looking your way, Dishmeat.

Working it. Feeling the flow.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:All I know is we not only got to watch hockey this year after a possible strike, we were one of the top teams in the NHL and we got go watch hockey games in June. Once the hurt goes away im sure yinz will agree. I think some of you younger fans don't know what this team had to go through so you could enjoy winning hockey. I believe we have a very spoiled going fan base. Maybe this will dilute it some.

Oh, I admit I'm definitely spoiled. I'll definitely take this over what I experienced as fan just prior to the lockout year. Attendance was 8,000 unless the Avalanche was in town. The Igloo was like a morgue. The X Generation with Rico Fata, Konstantin Koltsov (the original #71) et al. But why is it not okay to expect more from this franchise now? Some of you are acting like we shouldn't have expectations.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 pm

pens2005 wrote:
topshelf wrote:

I'm talking about the pens and how it's clear you can't call them great. No other team has lost the way we've lost the last 4 seasons.

Blowing it against Montreal. Blowing a 3-1 series lead against TB, getting embarrassed by Philly, and getting swept scoring just 2 goals in a series against Boston.

What teams have done that?

First of all, you can't bring up the Tampa series. Our top line was Kovalev-Letestu-Kunitz. We were lucky to have won what we did (on the back of goal scorer Aaron Asham, too).

Second of all, we're still making the playoffs. That Philly team that "embarrassed" us couldn't do that this year. We beat the team that beat Montreal, and Boston played us damned well. It is what it is, man. We're also the team that made it to the Cup finals two years in a row. You're telling me to let go of the past, and yet you're using the past as your ally.

The Pens are a great team. There are no more dynasties. We're gonna be okay.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spum on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 pm

pens2005 wrote:

Geez 4 years ago that far away for you? What have you done for me lately indeed.
Spum
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:42 pm

It's not that we lost so much, it's how we lost. Totally dismantled, and outcoached. No adjustments. Team loses its cool. It's the same story over and over.

No you can't win a cup every year, but when you go "all in", anything short of the cup is not acceptable, and especially not getting swept out of the playoffs. I won't even go into last years mess.

The window of opportunity doens't stay open for ever.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Agree that it's hard to look at the season as a success at this particular moment. However some good came about, no Sid head issues, cool win streak, first in the EC. Looks like the possibility of a new coach/system, seeing some of the younger guys who are ready actually play an entire season, and maybe some new faces!? It burns now, so much that I don't even really want to watch the finals, but you can't win every year.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Avyran on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:All I know is we not only got to watch hockey this year after a possible strike, we were one of the top teams in the NHL and we got go watch hockey games in June. Once the hurt goes away im sure yinz will agree. I think some of you younger fans don't know what this team had to go through so you could enjoy winning hockey. I believe we have a very spoiled going fan base. Maybe this will dilute it some.

Oh, I admit I'm definitely spoiled. I'll definitely take this over what I experienced as fan just prior to the lockout year. Attendance was 8,000 unless the Avalanche was in town. The Igloo was like a morgue. The X Generation with Rico Fata, Konstantin Koltsov (the original #71) et al. But why is it not okay to expect more from this franchise now? Some of you are acting like we shouldn't have expectations.

Instead of that, it's have a bit more tempered expectation. You can't expect domination like there used to be. Salary cap + better quality teams (look at the freaking islanders this year) mean more upsets, struggles, and potential stumbling blocks.

Yes, I'm disappointed at not winning the Cup. I still believe we were the best team on paper. But you run into a team with an incredibly hot / good goaltender that plays strong defense, and well... anything can happen.

The loss sucks. But it's not the end of the world, and isn't worth going bonkers over.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins