Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Eismann wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I still think it was a great season. Just not a good ending.


With this squad having a good regular season isn't even close to enough. In fact, it's nothing. The only thing that matters is the postseason.

And we were absolutely laughable in the ECF.

We are a laughingstock right now. Not thrilled with calling this season a success, because it wasn't.


It's possible to feel both, because I do. I know you can't win every year. No, the world isn't going to end. But, I can also agree that this team wasted an opportunity that they might not get again anytime soon.


Ups to good stuff this year:

1) EC RS champs. Yes, it counts for something.

2) Some amazing RS wins, play, streaks.

3) Vokoun

4) Murray stare

5) New posters coming up big. Looking your way, Dishmeat.


Working it. Feeling the flow.


I don't know if I agree with #5, but ASCIRAG, Robot B-9.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,342
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 pm

skullman80 wrote:It's not that we lost so much, it's how we lost. Totally dismantled, and outcoached. No adjustments. Team loses its cool. It's the same story over and over.

No you can't win a cup every year, but when you go "all in", anything short of the cup is not acceptable, and especially not getting swept out of the playoffs. I won't even go into last years mess.

The window of opportunity doens't stay open for ever.


Bingo. That is what has me the most disheartened. We keep seeing the same disturbing trends. And while it's easy to say "you can't win every year" at what point do you realize you are the definition of insanity? Losing is going to happen. Losing like we've been is a completely different thing.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Real Deal Jimmy Neal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 pm

The first 59 games were pretty fun but the last 4 were a quick descent into hockey hell. Eagerly awaiting some changes. Let's go Pens.
Real Deal Jimmy Neal
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Spum wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
How about one championship?



Geez 4 years ago that far away for you? What have you done for me lately indeed.


LOL... That's what happens when you start following a team post-Cup win. You get spoiled.

I'd hate to see these guys endure the '92 - '09 run that we did. This board would have been in constant meltdown mode.
Last edited by topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,387
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
skullman80 wrote:It's not that we lost so much, it's how we lost. Totally dismantled, and outcoached. No adjustments. Team loses its cool. It's the same story over and over.

No you can't win a cup every year, but when you go "all in", anything short of the cup is not acceptable, and especially not getting swept out of the playoffs. I won't even go into last years mess.

The window of opportunity doens't stay open for ever.


Bingo. That is what has me the most disheartened. We keep seeing the same disturbing trends. And while it's easy to say "you can't win every year" at what point do you realize you are the definition of insanity? Losing is going to happen. Losing like we've been is a completely different thing.


I would've been still disappointed, but just fine with a game 7 loss. But this...I never imagined this.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,342
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Kharlamov on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Image
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:34 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Avyran wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:All I know is we not only got to watch hockey this year after a possible strike, we were one of the top teams in the NHL and we got go watch hockey games in June. Once the hurt goes away im sure yinz will agree. I think some of you younger fans don't know what this team had to go through so you could enjoy winning hockey. I believe we have a very spoiled going fan base. Maybe this will dilute it some.


Oh, I admit I'm definitely spoiled. I'll definitely take this over what I experienced as fan just prior to the lockout year. Attendance was 8,000 unless the Avalanche was in town. The Igloo was like a morgue. The X Generation with Rico Fata, Konstantin Koltsov (the original #71) et al. But why is it not okay to expect more from this franchise now? Some of you are acting like we shouldn't have expectations.

Instead of that, it's have a bit more tempered expectation. You can't expect domination like there used to be. Salary cap + better quality teams (look at the freaking islanders this year) mean more upsets, struggles, and potential stumbling blocks.

Yes, I'm disappointed at not winning the Cup. I still believe we were the best team on paper. But you run into a team with an incredibly hot / good goaltender that plays strong defense, and well... anything can happen.

The loss sucks. But it's not the end of the world, and isn't worth going bonkers over.


It hurts because I root for the guys just as much as the logo and maybe that's my mistake. Although I don't know any of the players personally, I find it very easy to root for guys like Sid, Neal, Orpik, etc. Bylsma is a total class act and I like a lot of things about him. I wanted the team to do well. I wanted them to succeed for Disco but at the same time, I wouldn't be unhappy if a coaching change was made.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Bright side is we wont be waiting early April - late January this time. Training camp in 3 months.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,693
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: ....WE'RE IN THE SUPERDOME BRUTHERS!

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 pm

topshelf wrote:
Spum wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
How about one championship?



Geez 4 years ago that far away for you? What have you done for me lately indeed.


LOL... That's what happens when you start following a team post-Cup win. You get spoiled.

I'd hate to see these guys endure the '92 - '09 run that we did. This board would have been in constant meltdown mode.


The entire decade of the '90s was unfilled promise with a couple of spells of unexpected overachievement.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,342
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby jprolley on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 pm

bright side is it won't be so hard to get back under the cap next season as originally thought.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,441
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 pm

I don't mean to sound like a bandwagoner or anything but I can't thank a team that just completely embarrassed themselves for a fourth straight season. I'm not saying I'm jumping ship and choosing another team or anything but I don't see how this team deserves "thanks." They did NOT go out with dignity.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,353
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 pm

topshelf wrote:
Spum wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
How about one championship?



Geez 4 years ago that far away for you? What have you done for me lately indeed.


LOL... That's what happens when you start following a team post-Cup win. You get spoiled.

I'd hate to see these guys endure the '92 - '09 run that we did. This board would have been in constant meltdown mode.



You're pretending like context isn't a real thing. You indeed cant win em all. but the way you lose matters. Significantly so. And that's not a good fact for this club.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,221
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm

LGP these days...

Image
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,387
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 pm

I think thats a bit unfair. People may be extreme right now, but as a fan I would think you have every right to be upset with how this team ended the season. Has nothing to do with being a bandwagoner.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,942
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Bravo to whatever middle schooler came up with that image content.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,022
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 pm

skullman80 wrote:It's not that we lost so much, it's how we lost. Totally dismantled, and outcoached. No adjustments. Team loses its cool. It's the same story over and over.

No you can't win a cup every year, but when you go "all in", anything short of the cup is not acceptable, and especially not getting swept out of the playoffs. I won't even go into last years mess.

The window of opportunity doens't stay open for ever.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,083
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Avyran wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Oh, I admit I'm definitely spoiled. I'll definitely take this over what I experienced as fan just prior to the lockout year. Attendance was 8,000 unless the Avalanche was in town. The Igloo was like a morgue. The X Generation with Rico Fata, Konstantin Koltsov (the original #71) et al. But why is it not okay to expect more from this franchise now? Some of you are acting like we shouldn't have expectations.

Instead of that, it's have a bit more tempered expectation. You can't expect domination like there used to be. Salary cap + better quality teams (look at the freaking islanders this year) mean more upsets, struggles, and potential stumbling blocks.

Yes, I'm disappointed at not winning the Cup. I still believe we were the best team on paper. But you run into a team with an incredibly hot / good goaltender that plays strong defense, and well... anything can happen.

The loss sucks. But it's not the end of the world, and isn't worth going bonkers over.


It hurts because I root for the guys just as much as the logo and maybe that's my mistake. Although I don't know any of the players personally, I find it very easy to root for guys like Sid, Neal, Orpik, etc. Bylsma is a total class act and I like a lot of things about him. I wanted the team to do well. I wanted them to succeed for Disco but at the same time, I wouldn't be unhappy if a coaching change was made.


I'm going to mourn Fleury's departure (I'm crazy enough to give him one more chance, but that's the maternal side coming out).

I have Letang's sweater. I don't want him to be traded; I really don't, but I'm incredibly disappointed in him this playoffs.

I feel awful for Brenden Morrow, who left the only organization he's ever known and his wife and kids behind. His daughter told her mum, "It's OK, it's only a few months and he has a chance to win the Cup." Well...

I admit, I get attached to players. I mourned Stu Barnes leaving like he was my brother. :lol:
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,342
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Staggy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Disappointing finish but I enjoyed the ride immensely. I watch sports to have fun and I had a lot of fun watching this team. If the only thing that made me happy was my team winning the championship then I would very rarely have fun watching sports. So still disappointing, I did expect more, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,697
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm

shmenguin wrote:
topshelf wrote:
Spum wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
How about one championship?



Geez 4 years ago that far away for you? What have you done for me lately indeed.


LOL... That's what happens when you start following a team post-Cup win. You get spoiled.

I'd hate to see these guys endure the '92 - '09 run that we did. This board would have been in constant meltdown mode.



You're pretending like context isn't a real thing. You indeed cant win em all. but the way you lose matters. Significantly so. And that's not a good fact for this club.


Agreed, I'm just putting things in perspective for the doom and gloomers. I think that our 'team' is fine, but I'll agree that the coaching is in question. I love Dan Bylsma, and I think we don't win the 09 Cup without him, but I think his system has been figured out and he's be reluctant to change it.

Let me edit this to say by "team" I mean the core. There are always a few pieces that need moved, but the anti-Sid stuff is ridiculous.
Last edited by topshelf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,387
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm

topshelf wrote:LGP these days...

Image



Who on earth are you calling a bandwagoner?

I am every bit of the opposite of a bandwagoner. Seriously, where did that come from?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,083
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm

I don't have a problem with bandwagon jumpers. Would you prefer indifference? It would be extremely embarrassing to have a team in a position to compete for championships only to have no one show up at the games nor watch on television. Bring on the bandwagon jumpers. Just don't pretend like you know it all and have been there through thick and thin.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby jamespensfan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 pm

I still love Sid and the pens and the positive nature of the author of this post. V
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,447
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Actually, long-time die-hards sometimes feel such great anger and disappointment because they've endured and stuck with the team in down years. So, when they see a plum opportunity like this, it's frustrating to see it pissed away because they know it could be decades before it every happens again. I get that.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,342
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: The lox. PLUNDER THE LOX.

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby knives of ice on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm

thank you pascal dupuis and matt cooke for all you've done for this team. you both deserve to cash in next season and i won't blame you one bit.

this loss really is the end of an era in many ways, this team could be about half new next year with a hadful of players left who won the cup.

very sad.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,551
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: Thank You Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I still think it was a great season. Just not a good ending.


With this squad having a good regular season isn't even close to enough. In fact, it's nothing. The only thing that matters is the postseason.

And we were absolutely laughable in the ECF.

We are a laughingstock right now. Not thrilled with calling this season a success, because it wasn't.


It's possible to feel both, because I do. I know you can't win every year. No, the world isn't going to end. But, I can also agree that this team wasted an opportunity that they might not get again anytime soon.


Ups to good stuff this year:

1) EC RS champs. Yes, it counts for something.

2) Some amazing RS wins, play, streaks.

3) Vokoun

4) Murray stare

5) New posters coming up big. Looking your way, Dishmeat.


Working it. Feeling the flow.


I don't know if I agree with #5, but ASCIRAG, Robot B-9.


Image

Image

Ya done good, kid. Ya done good.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,780
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Zeros

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Chirpin' Grinder, Defence21, DudeMan2766, Gabe, Geezer, murphydump55, Nizzy, Pens4Life, Pitts, skullman80 and 39 guests

e-mail