Most embarrassing loss in the....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Durbano on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens once blew a 3-0 series lead. Two time defending Cup team that set a new record for winning streak, had one of the best seasons ever loses to a vastly inferior team. Somehow this is their worst series ever?

I think so, and I watched all seven games in 75 and in 93. At least those were competitive series. 75 was against a team with at least a handful of NY players who become part of a dynasty. Those Pens were nothing special. In 93, people forget this, but Mario re-injured his back in the first game and wasn't right the rest of the way. It took that plus the Stevens injury plus Healy playing the game of his life plus Barrasso sucking to lose that last game, and even then, the Pens had just won two Cups.

2 goals in 4 games against the Bruins, combined with Pittsburgh's lack of comportment, state of denial (even post-series), recent playoff history and Cup-or-bust approach make this one the worst, IMO.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Sarcastic wrote:2 goals in 4 and a half games, while sporting what seemed like the best roster in hockey is indeed embarrassing and humbling. Not to us as fans, necessarily, but to the players, coaches, gm, owner, and the organization.

I can't even begin to imagine what Mario, Burkle, and Shero are feeling today.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tyler Durden on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Durbano wrote:I think so, and I watched all seven games in 75 and in 93. At least those were competitive series. 75 was against a team with at least a handful of NY players who become part of a dynasty. Those Pens were nothing special. In 93, people forget this, but Mario re-injured his back in the first game and wasn't right the rest of the way. It took that plus the Stevens injury plus Healy playing the game of his life plus Barrasso sucking to lose that last game, and even then, the Pens had just won two Cups.

2 goals in 4 games against the Bruins, combined with Pittsburgh's lack of comportment, state of denial (even post-series), recent playoff history and Cup-or-bust approach make this one the worst, IMO.

I do recall Mario's back problems in '93 but he always found a way to score points when his back was acting up. What I remember most is Darius Kasparaitis beating Lemieux to a pulp seemingly every shift. Credit to the Islanders for having Kaspar shut down Mario despite Mario being in pain.

For what's worth, last year many fans were chastising the Pens for not playing defense against the Flyers. This year, the Pens couldn't play offense against the Bruins. Quite the contrast. And offense and puck possession are the backbone of Bylsma's system so this year was probably worse.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Seattle-Pens-fan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12 pm

The expectations were pretty high for this team before the playoffs even started; unrealistically so as it turns out. The Islanders exposed some flaws in the Penguins "system", but the team had the talent to prevail. Then came the destruction leveled on Ottawa, who provided far less of an opponent than the Islanders. Those expectations were ratched up by the seeming ease in which we demolished the Senators because everyone knew that they must have been a better team than the Islanders. Right? Yeah... Anyway, then we run into a team with a defensive mastermind for a coach and suddenly the man behind the curtain was exposed. Bylsma had nothing. Our "system" was shown to be a sham. "Our game"? WTH does that mean? The Bruins were beatable, but to do so required relying on more than talent, and making necessary adjustments - for example, stationing someone in front of their goddamn net anytime we had the puck in the offensive zone. That's how you beat the coverage they established in their own end. It isn't rocket science. Did DB even attempt any changes? Not that I saw....

Anyway, enough of this. I just wanted to point out that unrealistic expectations were why this one seems so much worse than some of the other losses this franchise has endured. And from the perspective of adapting and changing things around to beat an imminently beatable team, maybe that isn't so far off. :face:
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:14 pm

offsides wrote:
cma3585 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:There are a lot of gross overreactions right now, although I suppose I understand them. In the end, the Pens arguably were the better team in 3/4 of the games. The puck-luck did not go their way. That's why the best team in the NHL doesn't win every year. The Flyers series last year was WAY worse than this one, as was the Ottawa series in 08.

Agreed, I laid this all out in another thread. In short, literally zero bounces our way, 10 goal posts, and a remarkably hot goaltender. This series could very well be 2-2 right now the way this team played between games 1, 3, and 4.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. In one game maybe, but in a 7 game series the best team wins, or at least puts up a good fight. You have to score in hockey to win. Good teams get good bounces and shoot between the posts. The best team definitely swept this series and is moving on. Changes need to be made by the Pens unless this continuing playoff failure is acceptable.

Now offsides. You know that you're not allowed to post comments that make sense in PR.

What are you thinking man? :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens once blew a 3-0 series lead. Two time defending Cup team that set a new record for winning streak, had one of the best seasons ever loses to a vastly inferior team. Somehow this is their worst series ever? Sorry but some of you guys need to take a step back and breathe. I'm as disappointed as anyone, I'm as shocked as anyone that they only scored two goals, but Boston is a damn good team, very well might win the Cup, arguably are a better team than the Pens no matter what the pre-playoffs expectations were.

Spot on, HH. A sweep is tough to swallow... especially with these expectations.

This wasn't the collapse a lot here are making it out to be.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Seems a few of you subscribe to Danny Bylsma's reasoning that it was Boston's 'magical barrier' that beat us.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Seems a few of you subscribe to Danny Bylsma's reasoning that it was Boston's 'magical barrier' that beat us.

No one here, nor even Bylsma have suggested that luck was the reason that BOS won the series.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Guinness wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Seems a few of you subscribe to Danny Bylsma's reasoning that it was Boston's 'magical barrier' that beat us.

No one here, nor even Bylsma have suggested that luck was the reason that BOS won the series.

Well, none of us did anyway.

Guiness, you did read that quote right? It was an idiotic thing for a losing head coach to say.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Guiness, you did read that quote right? It was an idiotic thing for a losing head coach to say.

I did read it; I think he was right - it did seem like Rask, and the BOS defense as a whole, was using the force at times. Look at the Chara sweep-save on Malkin at the end. That's just a crazy desperation chance that played out. That wasn't a skill save... it was luck. Or, the force, if you prefer. There were more than one occasions like that over the course of these 4 games.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:06 pm

I am with Guinness, I thought the Pens played well 3 of 4 games and at worst should be 2-2 series. But, they were close so often I can't discount what they did. Things didn't work and the Bruins capitalized. Congrats to Boston, but this wasn't a blow out. It was 2 evenly matched teams with outcomes that didn't follow the script. It happens.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Pens got thumped no other way around it
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Guinness wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I did read it; I think he was right - it did seem like Rask, and the BOS defense as a whole, was using the force at times. Look at the Chara sweep-save on Malkin at the end. That's just a crazy desperation chance that played out. That wasn't a skill save... it was luck. Or, the force, if you prefer. There were more than one occasions like that over the course of these 4 games.

As a FAN yes. As the coach of a team that just lost four straight, a coach of a team that scored two goals, a coach of team that went 0-15 on the PP, a coach of a team facing elimination who refused to make any changes to a Power Play that was totally inept?

Nah, maybe he should have taken some responsibility for the loss. Not blamed it on aliens.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 pm

evenly matched...

final score of series: 12-2
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Guinness wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Guinness wrote:

As a FAN yes. As the coach of a team that just lost four straight, a coach of a team that scored two goals, a coach of team that went 0-15 on the PP, a coach of a team facing elimination who refused to make any changes to a Power Play that was totally inept?

Nah, maybe he should have taken some responsibility for the loss. Not blamed it on aliens.

I'm not sticking up for Bylsma, and I've said I'm in favor of going in another direction behind the bench... but Rask was other-worldly. I think that's all that Bylsma was saying, and I'm fine with it.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:17 pm

shmenguin wrote:evenly matched...

The first game was closer than 3-0. Game 2 was an outlier. Game 3 OBVIOUSLY could have gone either way. Game 4, as well.

See it however you want. I watched a team compete in 3 of 4 games. They lost. Boston was the better team and they deserved to win; but this was not a 4-0 sweep where one team chases another out of the building... at least not in the way we traditionally use that phrase.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddiefromirwin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 pm

This loss isn't close to being as bad as 93. Two-time defending cup champs, longest winning streak during the regular season, yet losing to the Islanders? Plus the Stevens injury...this loss changed the history of the club, for sure.

The Bruins loss was a terrible offensive performance by the best offensive team in hockey. But I don't the this loss changing the course of the franchise too much in and of itself. The sum of the last 4 years of playoff losses may change the franchise very much, however.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby heshootsandscores on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:19 pm

I was at game 2 and we totally gave it away. So many people are saying the B's will win the cup because of the Boston Bombings...there are alot of coincidences, but we definitely threw game 2. No excuse for a team to play like that.
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Guinness wrote:
shmenguin wrote:evenly matched...

The first game was closer than 3-0. Game 2 was an outlier. Game 3 OBVIOUSLY could have gone either way. Game 4, as well.

See it however you want. I watched a team compete in 3 of 4 games. They lost. Boston was the better team and they deserved to win; but this was not a 4-0 sweep where one team chases another out of the building... at least not in the way we traditionally use that phrase.

What Guinness is saying is my feelings exactly. In 3 of the 4 games I felt the Penguins had a legitimate chance to be winning the game at some point. Game 2 was an absolute blow out and deserves the venom it gets, but on the whole the series was competitive each and every game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bdevido on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm

i don't care how you slice it, 2 goals in 4 games with the two so called "best players" in hockey is beyond pathetic. this was the worst offensive performance in the nhl playoffs (maybe in years). i agree with whoever said bylsma's post game comments were idiotic. rask playing great is one thing, suggesting some jedi force kept the puck out of the net is a baseless excuse. it would be nice if bylsma showed some emotion or passion once in awhile, or maybe took some of the blame instead of suggesting some mystical force field kept them from scoring goals.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm

No one can argue about this series being the worst, but somehow this is a 3 page thread. I'd take this series over and over again rather than last year's Flyers series.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:No one can argue about this series being the worst, but somehow this is a 3 page thread. I'd take this series over and over again rather than last year's Flyers series.

Agreed. Yes, it was an embarrassing offensive output. Yes it was a bad series loss. But it's not like they weren't competitive.

Some people seem to want to be miserable. I say more power to them.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey I'm all about keeping Byslma if everyone else is and it produces the same results. I'm getting quite used to this. We should start a wager on the board, next season I'm predicting a loss to Detroit in 5 games.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:24 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Hey I'm all about keeping Byslma if everyone else is and it produces the same results. I'm getting quite used to this. We should start a wager on the board, next season I'm predicting a loss to Detroit in 5 games.

damn, way to remind me about the team moving east. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:04 pm

yeah, i think this series was a disgrace, but it still wasn't as bad as last year. worse than 2010 and 2011 though.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins