bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Pens new logo next season.

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm

CERV96 wrote:Pens new logo next season.

That's not Vancouver. Hey we have two superstars, we're pretty good in the regular season. Wake up in 5 years and what happened? Our stars are exiting their prime and nothing to show. How did this happen?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:29 pm

I am glad HCDB is back.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Rylan wrote:I am glad HCDB is back.

Just curious, why do you think he's the right man for this job?
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Rylan wrote:I am glad HCDB is back.

I'm not glad, but I can accept it. (If he is)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Dan won't change his system and his system doesn't work. If Dan stays it's because of his likability within the organization, which is sad.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Daniel87 wrote:Dan won't change his system and his system doesn't work. If he stays it's because of Dan's likability within the organization, which is sad.

More like sickening or embarrassing.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Dan gets fired tomorrow.

Book it.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm

I think on the whole HCDB has done what is necessary to put the team in position to succeed. In the Bruins series I felt the Pens were closer than 4-0 series defeat and that luck and the superb play of Rask and the team defense was astounding. Not enough credit was given to the defensive success of the Bruins.

I don't think it was HCDB fault that Crosby was out of form for most of the series. Same with Letang. But the chances were there and if the Pens actually capitalized on their chances its a completely different series. After game 2, there was distinct change in how the team played and it showed as they held Boston defensively. Offensively, with the tools the Pens had you would expect better from them. He did what I expected him to do, he tightened up the defense and hoped his offensive stars would be able to break the defense. They didn't.

Finally, the only series I honestly feel he was outcoached was the Flyers series. That series is the only failure I really feel happened in the past 4 years. That isn't to say I wasn't disappointed in the loses to both Montreal and Boston, I was. But including the Tampa series has always been laughable to me. That team exceeded its ceiling. He made a hockey team with no offensive talent to within a game of the 2nd round against a superior hockey team. The Pens were not winning the cup that year. Nor was their any reason for them to even be in the playoffs with that team. So, when it comes down to it I see him as having only 1 poor postseason in all of his attempts. Just because he doesn't do what some fans think he should (and to be quite honest, most of it is absolutely absurd nit picking IMO) doesn't mean he has done a poor job. The players didn't execute and were in position to execute. Everything is not his fault, some fault has to be laid on the backs of Crosby and Malkin and the rest of the team. If the players endorse him, they obviously haven't quit on him.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Don't get me wrong I don't hate the guy or anything. I am just not sure if this is the right decision for the betterment of the franchise or the direction of the team. But what do I or anyone else really know? We are all just fans.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:46 pm

I think its very important for everyone to realize that if the New York Islanders would have gotten even okay goaltending they would have beaten the Pens in round one. The Pens got outplayed in 4 of the 6 games in that series. Were only saved by putrid play in goal from New York.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm

And if the Pens got average netminding NYI are still not in the series. Players need to take some of the blame for lackluster efforts, that doesn't all fall on the coach.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:49 pm

Rylan wrote:And if the Pens got average netminding NYI are still not in the series. Players need to take some of the blame for lackluster efforts, that doesn't all fall on the coach.

Completely disagree. The Islanders skated circles around the Pens for long stretches in that series. New York was better in that series.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joker10277 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Rylan wrote:And if the Pens got average netminding NYI are still not in the series. Players need to take some of the blame for lackluster efforts, that doesn't all fall on the coach.

If the NYI had a goaltender that could stop a beach ball, the Pens might have lost in the first round.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 pm

MAF gave up some bad goals in that series, but even when he did, the Islanders were badly outplaying the Pens.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 pm

But the Pens did win the series. The Pens overcame that adversity to win the series in convincing fashion after the switch to Vokoun. So average netminding won 2 games. If they had that through the first 4 games that series is over in 5.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Yep...we were getting owned by their speed. If you guys thought it was bad losing in the ECF to Boston, it would have been a disaster of biblical proportions if we lost to NYI as we prolly should have.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Rylan wrote:But the Pens did win the series. The Pens overcame that adversity to win the series in convincing fashion after the switch to Vokoun. So average netminding won 2 games. If they had that through the first 4 games that series is over in 5.

Actually, Vokoun was really good in the two games he won. IMO, the Pens were pretty lucky to win that series. Capuano was outcoaching Bylsma. Nabokov was a joke. The difference was, the Pens had Vokoun to turn to and they had no one.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Wait so because the Pens won its still a negative? So Bylsma deserves no credit? But all the blame when they lose? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Rylan wrote:Wait so because the Pens won its still a negative? So Bylsma deserves no credit? But all the blame when they lose? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

To me, the only thing positive about that series was Vokoun. The Pens were not good at all in that series. Why does Bylsma deserve any credit for that series? The only good thing he did was he put Vokoun in, which was a easy call. The Islanders outplayed the Pens in 4 of the 6 games. That is all I'm saying. If the Isles had average goaltending in that series, they win.

That series should have told everyone what to expect later in the playoffs.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Rylan wrote:Wait so because the Pens won its still a negative? So Bylsma deserves no credit? But all the blame when they lose? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Credit for what? That our stars willed us to victory when we got outshot like 38-21 by the 8 seed? And got totally outplayed in Game 3.....again by an 8 seed.

The Pens got absolutely hammered for the better part of the series. Outside of going with TV Bylsma did almost nothing of value in that series as a coach.

Does he get a medal for literally escaping against the 8 seed? What is this the special Olympics?
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 pm

joker10277 wrote:

If the NYI had a goaltender that could stop a beach ball, the Pens might have lost in the first round.

That's a really scary thought.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 pm

It would be funny if after all this speculation, Bylsma emerged with a 3-year extension.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joker10277 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Rylan wrote:But the Pens did win the series. The Pens overcame that adversity to win the series in convincing fashion after the switch to Vokoun. So average netminding won 2 games. If they had that through the first 4 games that series is over in 5.

Actually they were outplayed and lucky to force overtime in game 6 and then got a seeing eye OT goal from Brooks Orpik, I wouldn't exactly call that convincing fashion.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Sarcastic wrote:It would be funny if after all this speculation, Bylsma emerged with a 3-year extension.

I think that is more likely than him being fired tomorrow. Gosh, I hope I'm wrong.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins