bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby marek on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Scott wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
You still manage more than 2 goals with this roster. Sorry. If coaches were that important, they would make as much or more than the best players. They do not for a reason. Bylsma should not be absolved of blame, but the lion's share of the criticism falls on the players--and it starts with Sid and Geno.

Stop right there please. You have never coached anything at any level and it shows. If you did then you would understand that no matter the talent...no matter the players...IF YOU DON'T PUT THEM IN THE PROPER POSITION TO SUCCEED you get shut down rather easily...you score 2 goals in 270 plus mins of hockey. Proper position does NOT mean right or left wing but rather position in the collective scheme of things. This series was no where even close as the scores were...minus the blowout game two.

Bylsma has lived off his Cup winning year in 2009. I certainly hope he is gone because the great players this team has are only getting older. Minus the Lightning playoff loss year which I give Bylsma a pass on...(Malkin and Crosby out) he has had the Penguins under achieve by a gigantic amount.

I love his hockey...it is fun to watch. It is also the easiest to shut down.

Notice how the year he took over he was only 20 plus games in the regular season and then the playoffs hit. Nobody knew how to shut down his 100 mph style of play. It was new, it was fresh and the opponents were taken back by it...the Penguins loved the fresh new style...

All this came to an halt the day Montreal Canadiens showed the world the blue print for beating the Penguins in a seven game series. Think about that...

what have the Pens done since getting upset by the Canadiens in 2010.
2011 out by the Lightning after having a 3-1 lead.
2012 out by the Flyers in embarrassing fashion.
2013 out by the Bruins in even more embarrassing fashion.

Truth be told, Dan is not a good coach. He was the right guy at the right time and it all just fit perfectly. As the playoff rounds go on, the coaching and the schemes get better and more sharp.

He makes zero adjustments. None. His big adjustment is scratching a player and dressing another.

Matter of fact I was such a Bylsma supporter but I am done getting his back. IMO he has stolen his pay check for the last three years. Again there are many people at LGP.com that are fully capable of making the same NON-adjustments and lack of decision for a lot less money.

if he is not fired then Shero should go too because Dan has done the players, organization and fans a total disservice three of the last four years.

Well stated. This team will undergo major changes.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby luv66 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Scott wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
You still manage more than 2 goals with this roster. Sorry. If coaches were that important, they would make as much or more than the best players. They do not for a reason. Bylsma should not be absolved of blame, but the lion's share of the criticism falls on the players--and it starts with Sid and Geno.

Stop right there please. You have never coached anything at any level and it shows. If you did then you would understand that no matter the talent...no matter the players...IF YOU DON'T PUT THEM IN THE PROPER POSITION TO SUCCEED you get shut down rather easily...you score 2 goals in 270 plus mins of hockey. Proper position does NOT mean right or left wing but rather position in the collective scheme of things. This series was no where even close as the scores were...minus the blowout game two.

Bylsma has lived off his Cup winning year in 2009. I certainly hope he is gone because the great players this team has are only getting older. Minus the Lightning playoff loss year which I give Bylsma a pass on...(Malkin and Crosby out) he has had the Penguins under achieve by a gigantic amount.

I love his hockey...it is fun to watch. It is also the easiest to shut down.

Notice how the year he took over he was only 20 plus games in the regular season and then the playoffs hit. Nobody knew how to shut down his 100 mph style of play. It was new, it was fresh and the opponents were taken back by it...the Penguins loved the fresh new style...

All this came to an halt the day Montreal Canadiens showed the world the blue print for beating the Penguins in a seven game series. Think about that...

what have the Pens done since getting upset by the Canadiens in 2010.
2011 out by the Lightning after having a 3-1 lead.
2012 out by the Flyers in embarrassing fashion.
2013 out by the Bruins in even more embarrassing fashion.

Truth be told, Dan is not a good coach. He was the right guy at the right time and it all just fit perfectly. As the playoff rounds go on, the coaching and the schemes get better and more sharp.

He makes zero adjustments. None. His big adjustment is scratching a player and dressing another.

Matter of fact I was such a Bylsma supporter but I am done getting his back. IMO he has stolen his pay check for the last three years. Again there are many people at LGP.com that are fully capable of making the same NON-adjustments and lack of decision for a lot less money.

if he is not fired then Shero should go too because Dan has done the players, organization and fans a total disservice three of the last four years.

:thumb: I've been a huge Shero fan (haven't been a Dan fan though for years now) but if he doesn't let DB go he should be fired as well.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby luv66 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Geezer wrote:http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4151667-74/penguins-series-final#axzz2VYCol2d6
I think this is a great summary which describes Disco's faults while discussing the Pens' play.
He obviously has to go. He could be viewed as a good coach because of regular season record but his teams have been underachieving playoff failures. Last year's Flyer series should have gotten him fired. This years Bruin series is worse in many ways.

At least the media has been putting his butt to the fire lately. Until recently they had been very far up his butt, I never heard anyone dare criticize him until now.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
farnham16 wrote:I think this was worse than Philly last year. They just got swept and scored 2 goals.

We managed to get PHI to 6 games last year, scoring like crazy while losing our minds to a team full of Nurse Ratcheds.

I've been vacillating, but I think I'm in the camp that this series is worse than last year. Although, they certainly can be equal on the suckometer for different reasons.

For me, this series loss was worse than last year’s loss to Philly, if only because my expectations were so high this year, making the disappointment so much harder to bear. Right now, I just feel really sad--sad for the guys, all of whom wanted a different outcome than this, but mostly sad because I know this team is about to be dismantled and just what will be left of it once the dust settles remains to be seen. I’m not good with goodbyes, and I know there are going to be a lot of them in the weeks ahead. :(
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iceolater on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 pm

The post knocking Shero are lame. Who in the NHL realm didn't pick the Pens to win it all after he got Iggy BM and Crankshaft? He gave up a few draft picks without loosing any current players. For this sweep to happen is not his fault but he gave his team a chance to win the cup. He now has the broom in his hand and needs to clean house and rightfully so. There are plenty of free agent and coaches to put a more solid faster confident team o. The ice next year. Thank you to the Pens for a great season up till the Boston series. I wish those who have earned their ticket out of the Burg all the best. You all will do fine. For those who have favorite players, it may be a sad day for you in the near future but business is business. Let's Go Pens... October's NEW look will be welcomed with open arms.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:59 pm

If I was a reporter I would of asked Byslma what Sutter and Kunitz's secret was to breaking the force field that Rask had setup
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:57 pm

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:20 pm

The Fourth Period is reporting that a coaching change is unlikely.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit130608.html
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Kovy27 wrote:The Fourth Period is reporting that a coaching change is unlikely.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit130608.html

That guy also says Paul martin could be bought out while in the same breath says the Pens need a #2 and #3 defenseman. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 pm

that entire article is a giant load of trash
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Antonio wrote:that entire article is a giant load of trash

So, it fits in with most posts in the last week.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:02 pm

I do know if that Byslma isn't fired that some are gonna be partying like they hit the powerball
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 am

If Bylsma is kept the Penguins become more like the Pirates instantly.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jasmine on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am

Dan Bylsma was a minor league coach who was brought up as an interim when Therrien was fired. He won the Cup with a Therrien-coached team. Since then (4 straight years) it's been nothing but playoff failures for one reason or another. I don't see how or why anyone wants him to stay.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 am

Jasmine wrote:Dan Bylsma was a minor league coach who was brought up as an interim when Therrien was fired. He won the Cup with a Therrien-coached team. Since then (4 straight years) it's been nothing but playoff failures for one reason or another. I don't see how or why anyone wants him to stay.

There was a Jack Adams mixed in there...
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 am

I want Bylsma and Fleury to stay so I can watch the board meltdown in tears and then I will proceed to laugh and laugh and laugh.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:45 am

Is that supposed to be more noble than wanting him gone?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:31 am

Rylan wrote:I want Bylsma and Fleury to stay so I can watch the board meltdown in tears and then I will proceed to laugh and laugh and laugh.

Feeling evil today buddy?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
Rylan wrote:I want Bylsma and Fleury to stay so I can watch the board meltdown in tears and then I will proceed to laugh and laugh and laugh.

Feeling evil today buddy?
Virtual vandalism???
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:58 am

shmenguin wrote:Is that supposed to be more noble than wanting him gone?

I am at the point where I don't care one way or the other. I think Bylsma does some things well and others poorly. As for Fleury, he is my favorite player so I would prefer for him to stay.

But, watching the collective meltdown would be fun for me to read. Nothing noble about it, I would venture to say it would actually be the opposite since it would be for the selfish amusement that it would bring me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 am

He'll probably be fired mid-year, when the Penguins fully decide to quit on him, much like the Therrien situation in 2008-09. I don't think he's going anywhere this summer.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:46 am

Getting To My Game wrote:He'll probably be fired mid-year, when the Penguins fully decide to quit on him, much like the Therrien situation in 2008-09. I don't think he's going anywhere this summer.

The situations are not comparable. Firing Therrien over the summer after overachieving and losing to the Wings in the finals didn't appear to be a consideration. Firing DB is a very real consideration for the 2nd straight spring.

A challenge in retaining Bylsma is that he's essentially going to be a lame-duck coach: good luck instituting tough love on a group of established superstars during season six with the sword of damocles hanging over your head. It's time to wipe the slate clean.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:48 am

Desiato wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:He'll probably be fired mid-year, when the Penguins fully decide to quit on him, much like the Therrien situation in 2008-09. I don't think he's going anywhere this summer.

The situations are not comparable. Firing Therrien over the summer after overachieving and losing to the Wings in the finals didn't appear to be a consideration. Firing DB is a very real consideration for the 2nd straight spring.

A challenge in retaining Bylsma is that he's essentially going to be a lame-duck coach: good luck instituting tough love on a group of established superstars during season six with the sword of damocles hanging over your head. It's time to wipe the slate clean.

The longer time that we hear no word that he's been fired, the less likely that it will happen. You'd think you'd want a new coach in here a week or two before free agency to get on the same page with personnel decisions.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
Desiato wrote:

The longer time that we hear no word that he's been fired, the less likely that it will happen. You'd think you'd want a new coach in here a week or two before free agency to get on the same page with personnel decisions.

They lost on Friday night. It's not even noon on the following Sunday.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:57 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
Desiato wrote:

They lost on Friday night. It's not even noon on the following Sunday.

Where did I say that because the decision wasn't made yet, that it wasn't happening?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins