bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:14 am

I doubt he gets fired. Last year was way worse and they didn't do it. He has enough outs this year that they aren't going to can him. It'll take another early round exit or their being in danger of missing the playoffs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 am

I think this was worse than Philly last year. They just got swept and scored 2 goals.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nevillewood on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 am

Scott wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
You still manage more than 2 goals with this roster. Sorry. If coaches were that important, they would make as much or more than the best players. They do not for a reason. Bylsma should not be absolved of blame, but the lion's share of the criticism falls on the players--and it starts with Sid and Geno.

Stop right there please. You have never coached anything at any level and it shows. If you did then you would understand that no matter the talent...no matter the players...IF YOU DON'T PUT THEM IN THE PROPER POSITION TO SUCCEED you get shut down rather easily...you score 2 goals in 270 plus mins of hockey. Proper position does NOT mean right or left wing but rather position in the collective scheme of things. This series was no where even close as the scores were...minus the blowout game two.

Bylsma has lived off his Cup winning year in 2009. I certainly hope he is gone because the great players this team has are only getting older. Minus the Lightning playoff loss year which I give Bylsma a pass on...(Malkin and Crosby out) he has had the Penguins under achieve by a gigantic amount.

I love his hockey...it is fun to watch. It is also the easiest to shut down.

Notice how the year he took over he was only 20 plus games in the regular season and then the playoffs hit. Nobody knew how to shut down his 100 mph style of play. It was new, it was fresh and the opponents were taken back by it...the Penguins loved the fresh new style...

All this came to an halt the day Montreal Canadiens showed the world the blue print for beating the Penguins in a seven game series. Think about that...

what have the Pens done since getting upset by the Canadiens in 2010.
2011 out by the Lightning after having a 3-1 lead.
2012 out by the Flyers in embarrassing fashion.
2013 out by the Bruins in even more embarrassing fashion.

Truth be told, Dan is not a good coach. He was the right guy at the right time and it all just fit perfectly. As the playoff rounds go on, the coaching and the schemes get better and more sharp.

He makes zero adjustments. None. His big adjustment is scratching a player and dressing another.

Matter of fact I was such a Bylsma supporter but I am done getting his back. IMO he has stolen his pay check for the last three years. Again there are many people at LGP.com that are fully capable of making the same NON-adjustments and lack of decision for a lot less money.

if he is not fired then Shero should go too because Dan has done the players, organization and fans a total disservice three of the last four years.

Clarity.
Nevillewood

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 am

On offense, Pens needed bodies around Rask.

Bs strategy was to pack in defensively, a la habs, and use their brilliant exits to patiently get offense.

Pens obliged.

It worked every game.

Sweep.

Cya.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:31 am

Henry Hank wrote:I doubt he gets fired. Last year was way worse and they didn't do it. He has enough outs this year that they aren't going to can him. It'll take another early round exit or their being in danger of missing the playoffs.

I hope this isn't the case. We know the Pens will be fine in the regular season. That hasn't been a problem at all and doesn't highlight why db needs to go. Dan never struggles when the teams don't build a strategy around the Pens specifically. It's ignoring the problem to say he goes if they struggle in the regular season or have to lose to a 7 seed for db to go.

Obviously it's Shero's choice, but if db is around next year, I will consider it one of Shero's top 3 worst decisions. Because we know exactly what will happen next year.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 am

bhaw wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I doubt he gets fired. Last year was way worse and they didn't do it. He has enough outs this year that they aren't going to can him. It'll take another early round exit or their being in danger of missing the playoffs.

I hope this isn't the case. We know the Pens will be fine in the regular season. That hasn't been a problem at all and doesn't highlight why db needs to go. Dan never struggles when the teams don't build a strategy around the Pens specifically. It's ignoring the problem to say he goes if they struggle in the regular season or have to lose to a 7 seed for db to go.

Obviously it's Shero's choice, but if db is around next year, I will consider it one of Shero's top 3 worst decisions. Because we know exactly what will happen next year.

You'd better hire a coach who can craft a game plan.

You thought this year was tough?

Next year is going to be way tougher.

There's a blueprint out there on how to beat a Dan Bylsma coached team. If he can't change (and he's shown that he can't) then you need to get someone in who can.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Boogeyman on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:39 am

There is a handbook out there on how to beat the Penguins in the playoffs. Mind you that it still requires your team has a marginal amount of talent. It's out there though.

I never want to see someone lose their job, but let's face it... NHL coaches are hired to be fired and securing one coaching gig in the NHL basically sets you up for life if you invest and handle your finances appropriately. Not to mention that you will most likely end up with a new job sooner rather than later making more millions.

It's fine if we don't win a cup every 5 years, but it's not fine when such a talented team looks and plays so fragile in the post season year in and year out.

There are a handful of very good coaches out there, the time will never be better to get someone with strong pedigree coaching the most talented team in the league.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:56 am

On second thought, I'd argue that there are multiple blueprints out there (Montreal/Boston) and (Philly/Islander) to name two (and yes I know that they beat the Isles, this year, but with even a marginal upgrade in talent, the Isles would win that series if they played it again (and the Isles will upgrade for next year if only through experience/maturity))
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 am

Steve Pederson thinks Bylsma should get a 10-year extension.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 am

If Byslma doesn't get fired he never will with Shero at the helm, it will be cleaning house of Shero and Bylsma from management, with that being said if Byslma stays I don't have any high expectations from the team and expect the same thing to occur again. If management is fine with that, so am I.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tyler Durden on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 am

SolidSnake wrote:If Byslma doesn't get fired he never will with Shero at the helm, it will be cleaning house of Shero and Bylsma from management, with that being said if Byslma stays I don't have any high expectations from the team and expect the same thing to occur again. If management is fine with that, so am I.

Shero might not be the one to make the call on Disco's future. If it's totally up to Shero, Disco probably isn't going anywhere.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:25 am

If he doesn't get fired then I can't wait to hear the quotes and stuff from the end of the season presser about "we just didn't get to our game" and the players blaming themselves and it will be like deja vu all over. Then I will laugh and hope this team gets taught another lesson next season.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 am

I for one will be excited when Bylsma gets the vote of confidence. Jamie Dixon of the NHL.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:27 am

farnham16 wrote:I think this was worse than Philly last year. They just got swept and scored 2 goals.

We managed to get PHI to 6 games last year, scoring like crazy while losing our minds to a team full of Nurse Ratcheds.

I've been vacillating, but I think I'm in the camp that this series is worse than last year. Although, they certainly can be equal on the suckometer for different reasons.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 am

Someone put this on the hfboards and I find it hilarious

"Sure would be fun to play against Dan The Mastermind Bylsma if he coaches the Rangers.

Take away the stretch pass along the wall, and put your checking line against his scoring line and you're golden. Zero adjustments in both game plan and in terms of avoiding match ups for that guy."
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 am

I don't think its even up for debate any longer. Bylsma's system is meant for the regular season. It doesn't work in the playoffs. That is a fact now. Pens are 0-4 under Bylsma's system in the playoffs.

You better hope this organization isn't okay with that.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01 am

And the Penguins got outplayed in 2 of the 3 series they were in this post season. They should have lost to the Islanders. Just think about that for a second.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joker10277 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:02 am

farnham16 wrote:And the Penguins got outplayed in 2 of the 3 series they were in this post season. They should have lost to the Islanders. Just think about that for a second.

Yep, if the isles had a goalie that could stop a beach ball, pens would have been in real trouble.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:06 am

joker10277 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:And the Penguins got outplayed in 2 of the 3 series they were in this post season. They should have lost to the Islanders. Just think about that for a second.

Yep, if the isles had a goalie that could stop a beach ball, pens would have been in real trouble.

Maybe the Isles needed a forcefield around their net?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:21 am

Well, considering it was the force that prevented us from scoring, we do need to look more closely at Shero and why his trade deadline plan did not include acquiring any Jedi Knights. Hell, a Sith apprentice could have at least given us a shot. Thanks Shero.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:21 am

I like Bylsma, I think he is a good coach and doesnt deserve the extreme crtisim he gets on this board. but I think it's time to move on to new coach. After a while player start tuning out the coach and while I don't think he has lost the room, I think it's time for a change.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby wondermoose on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 am

It's time to get a coach that focuses on defense, like Therrien but without the ****. Our offense will take care of itself, but we've got to make life a lot harder on teams.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am

Damn Rask and his jedi tricks! I'm convinced that 24/7 series is what made Byslma so popular, if he never said "let's grind these ******** down" then everyone would want him fired, ever since people since that side of him, some people started worshipping the ground he walks on
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:32 am

I'll be gobsmacked if Dan Bylsma is the coach by the draft.

One can question the wisdom of Shero's acquisitions, but adding Vokoun, Murray, Morrow, and Iginla addressed every single apparent need the team had, and then some. It seems that over the course of the past year, Ray Shero was doing everything he could to give Bylsma an opportunity to win the Cup. He obviously took advantage of the cap space the team had, as well as the prospect pool, and recognized the upcoming cap situation...

If I'm Shero, I add that to the fact that the squad was swept out of the ECF (tho' gaining the ECF was an accomplishment), and the previous 3 years' early ejections... I don't see how I don't fire the head coach in that situation. Especially with the candidates out there this year.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:41 am

I have no idea if DB will be fired or not - but the good thing is that Shero is not going to let this stew. He's going to be decisive and act fairly quickly.

Either way, Shero is in for a very busy/challenging offseason obviously.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins