bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 am

From twitter, Rob Rossi says GM Ray Shero is not speaking today. Usually on pack it up day, he does.

I never hear / heard accountability from Coach Blysma. I never hear the words, that loss, that is all on me.
Game 3 in Ottawa; I thought maybe. No.

We never saw Evgeni on the PK, never! This is a responsibility, if given, and if he gets the minutes, he would be fabulous. It would also bring rein in his offense first mentally. Sid played a bit, not much. Having stars on the PK gets them thinking all facets of the game and makes them accountable for defense too.

~ from Joe Starkey on the pens coach.
http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4 ... z2VjSKJL00
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:23 am

Disco is still under contract, right? Why don't we trade him to the Rags? I'm sure GMRS could fleece something out of Sather.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm

This might seem like a cockamamie (a woefully underused term, btw) post, but I'll throw it out there anyway, because I love learning from the more strategic minds here. If this was floated earlier, then I'm sorry I missed it.

Questions for you guys:

1. If the HC of the big club changes, how does that typically affect the farm? WBS uses the same system as the big club, right? So, assuming that RS wants to move toward D-first or a MT+DB hybrid type of system, would Hynes be challenged to evolve, also, or will he be permitted to maintain the status quo in WBS?

2. How might RS factor in next year's realignment and competitive landscape into his decision making?

3. Does anyone else think that changing the HC is a sign that RS wants to save Fleury in the course of improving playoffs success?

I think Fleury is given another chance, because he's proven (a) that he'll get you to the playoffs and (b) he thrived in the playoffs in D-first and hybrid (think MT+DB) systems. His talent, young age, and athleticism are still there. His positive disposition and competitiveness are still there. Add all this together, and you still have a huge foundation on which to rebuild the mental aspect of his game.

It is possible that Fleury's meltdowns were precipitated by the stubborn adherence to firewagon strategy in the playoffs? Is it possible that our own system got into Fleury's head and messed him up? After all, if you feel that you're not in a good situation to succeed, then you doubt yourself, worry that you'll be let out to dry, or you try to overcompensate. Anyway, chances are you don't succeed. As for Vokoun, he was accustomed to seeing 40 shots per night and being left out to dry on some poor defensive teams.

Thanks for your time, folks.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Doesn't sounds like Bylsma is going to be fired, nor does it sound like they're going to do anything with Fleury. I think the only major change is that Letang will be traded.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Doesn't sounds like Bylsma is going to be fired, nor does it sound like they're going to do anything with Fleury. I think the only major change is that Letang will be traded.

Henry, do you think that RS might bring in a new assistant coach for the D in order to bring more discipline to Letang and to aid his development? (I like to think that no matter how old you are or how long you've been in your job, that you're constantly trying to develop and to improve.)

Of course, the money has to work, too.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Blysma has not yet met with GM Shero... of course he will continue to get to his game by talking about
next year.
Next year~ Despres' top 4 D on pens. Could have been part of the six man D , this year. I think
Letang could be gone. Kris, just kept making the same mistakes, over and over. Refused to shoot
fast and on the net.

Until GM Shero says Blysma is back; coaching is being discussed.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:55 pm

penny lane wrote:Blysma has net yet met with GM Shero... of course he will continue to get to his game by talking about
next year.
Next year~ Despres' top 4 D on pens. Could have been part of the six man D , this year. I think
Letang could be gone. Kris, just kept making the mistakes, over and over. Refused to shoot
fast and on the net.

penny, I like your approach to things. You're a calm and steady presence--the Paul Martin of our power play (the LGPPP?).
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SLF66 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Lets look at some realities (in my eyes)

2010 - Pens have a weak defense and lose to Montreal who also has red hot Halak steam rolling his was through the playoffs.

2011- Pens surprise many by having a very good regular season, winning despite many key injuries. This continues through the first 4 games of the playoffs, while the Pens unexpectedly had a 3-1 lead over Tampa Bay. This impressive lead was blown.

2012- Pens lose to Flyers in a series that is so painful to watch...not playoff hockey, but a circus. A coach's nightmare. No discipline, no team defense, no goal tending. The Pens let the Flyers get under their skin. Letang basically throws in the towel by attacking Timonen and then getting tossed. Embarassing. What bothers me is that everyone kept talking about how great the Pens PK had been all regular season. The Flyers figured out how to beat it in the regular season, and it continued in the playoffs. They also figured out how to open up the Pens in the neutral zone and get multiple stretch passes through. Bylsma was outcoached by Laviolette.

2013 - Pens look unprepared against the Islanders. The media and fans were pretty much saying Isles wont win a game, they were a minor league team. Anyone that has ever played a sport knows that this was not the Pens mindset in the locker room. They knew the Isles would be tough....but still didnt seem to have answers until Bylsma made toughest decision of his coaching career; replace his franchise goalie who won him the Cup, started 79? straight playoff games. And this wasn't game one, this was game 5...the biggest game of the year (at the time) and a game that could make or break the series. That, along with putting Vitale and Kennedy in, changed the dynamic of the series.

Pens vs Ottawa - Pens looked good. No issues.

Pens vs Boston - Pens looked good through 2 periods, but started hitting posts, getting nothing generated, and getting frustrated. They became unraveled and lost. Game 2, totally unprepared. Game 3, Pens really played well. Good defensively, more posts hit, and you are just waiting for them to get a break. Game 4 was pretty much even, but it felt like the rest of the series; no offense. Nobody could've predicted that offense was going to be the Pens problem, while their goaltending was good enough to win and their D solid for some of the time. Bylsma also gave Fleury his chance, and made the CORRECT decision to stick with Vokoun. Then when they lose everyone else has the "obvious answers" as to how it should've done if they were the coach. There were a lot of hits and misses.

Now if they fire Bylsma (and trade Fleury), you need to have the question answered...who is going to replace them and will they be an improvement? If the answer is no, then you dont make the move. Sometimes a fresh voice is what a hockey team needs, but it needs to be the right voice.
SLF66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 19m
Bylsma: Bennett will be a top-six forward, Despres a top-four defenseman next season. #TribHKY
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Bylsma: Paul Martin had "significant injury" past few games. Everyone else "bumps and bruises." #TribHKY
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
penny lane wrote:Blysma has net yet met with GM Shero... of course he will continue to get to his game by talking about
next year.
Letang could be gone. Kris, just kept making the mistakes, over and over. Refused to shoot
fast and on the net.

penny, I like your approach to things. You're a calm and steady presence--the Paul Martin of our power play (the LGPPP?).

Oh, but you didn't see me during game 3!!! :lol: ;) game 2, I felt as stoned as the penguins played. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Gaucho wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 19m
Bylsma: Bennett will be a top-six forward, Despres a top-four defenseman next season. #TribHKY

...For a game or two. At which point Despres will be benched for Engelland's veteranosity and Bennett will be banished to the Isle of Misfit Forwards.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:05 pm

penny lane wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
next year.
fast and on the net.

Oh, but you didn't see me during game 3!!! :lol: ;) game 2, I felt as stoned as the penguins played. :P

My "never too high, never too low" credo has been tested so much during these playoffs!

Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bse on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Sources: Pens’ chairman Lemieux may order ouster of coach Bylsma

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... 8j5rQV0WHN
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Stay the course, even if that course leads right into an iceberg every year.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:18 pm

It's better then reading that Mario wants to keep the clown
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 pm

if Larry Brooks says Bylsma's getting canned he's going to get an 8 year contract extension.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 pm

GDR wrote:if Larry Brooks says Bylsma's getting canned he's going to get an 8 year contract extension.

Larry Brooks has little idea what's going on in his own sports market, let alone someone else's. He's campaigning for the Rangers to get DB. Brooks and Tortorella loathe each other.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Shero not speaking today tells me the Pens are really thinking hard about what to do with Bylsma. If they were keeping him and they knew it, Shero would have talked today to confirm that.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:32 pm

farnham16 wrote:Shero not speaking today tells me the Pens are really thinking hard about what to do with Bylsma. If they were keeping him and they knew it, Shero would have talked today to confirm that.

Saw this earlier:

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 53m
BTW hearing Shero will meet w/media during the week. Won't be a last-minute thing or necessarily for a big announcement. Had conflict today.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:32 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I do know if that Byslma isn't fired that some are gonna be partying like they hit the powerball

Every other team in the NHL?
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 19m

Yeah, for the first game. Then as soon as a mistake is made by one, they are instantly in the doghouse.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:37 pm

penny lane wrote:I never hear / heard accountability from Coach Blysma. I never hear the words, that loss, that is all on me.
Game 3 in Ottawa; I thought maybe. No.

Yup. There is no accountability. He did everything right. It was bad luck and a magical barrier. At least he could be a little bit humble and say maybe, as a coach, he could have done better.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:38 pm

farnham16 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I do know if that Byslma isn't fired that some are gonna be partying like they hit the powerball

I'd thought they'd want Byslma to stay on because they know they can beat the Pens in the playoffs. :D
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

I'd thought they'd want Byslma to stay on because they know they can beat the Pens in the playoffs. :D

They would. If Bylsma stays the Pens instantly become one team that will not win the Cup next year.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins