bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby DayWalker on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Rocco wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
Rocco wrote:
DayWalker wrote:Yeah, everybody wants Disco out of here, but let us be reminded that in the last three season-ending series the Golden Boy from Cole Harbour has played in, he has 4 goals. In three series. Four goals. Seventeen games. Four goals.

That ain't on the coach.

Transcendent players do better than that, regardless of the coach.

Sure, but you can't really get rid of him at this point.

Nope, the franchise will just blame the coach. Always has, always will.

The Capitals and Sharks have changed coaches, too.

So what do you plan to get for Crosby that's equal value?

I am not suggesting they trade him, but his recent playoff performances should give pause to the people who think Evgeni Malkin is readily expendable. It should also give pause to those who think a mere coaching change and roster-tinkering will address the problems with this team. It won't. This is structural. I concede I do not have all of the solutions, but there is something deeply wrong here.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tyler Durden on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:59 pm

So light em up, light em up, light em up, light em up I'VE BEEN FIRED
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DayWalker on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am

Sarcastic wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
seabiscuit wrote:
DayWalker wrote:Yeah, everybody wants Disco out of here, but let us be reminded that in the last three season-ending series the Golden Boy from Cole Harbour has played in, he has 4 goals. In three series. Four goals. Seventeen games. Four goals.

That ain't on the coach.

Transcendent players do better than that, regardless of the coach.

How do you know that isn't on the coach? You don't know what DB game plan was, do you? Or lack thereof

I am all ears if you want to explain precisely how it was the coach's fault that the Galaxy of Stars (TM) managed two goals in four games against Bston, or how the Transcendent Golden Boy from Cole Harbour has managed a whopping four goals in his last three season-ending series.

Disco needs to go at this point, but absent a brain and heart transplant, this roster ain't going anywhere in the second season any time soon.

Caps and Sharks, meet the Pens.

Everybody crapping the bed is precisely why it is coach's fault. You could blame 1 or 2 guys not producing, but if it's the entire team getting shut down like this, it's the approach.

No, actually, I will blame the players who scored two goals in four games. Coaches coach and players play. Sid and Geno are paid handsomely for a reason.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 am

SolidSnake wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Cagsjr724 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:You could actually thank FHCMT for that cup...

Yes Sir

Except he was running them out of the playoff picture completely when he was fired.

And we can thank Bylsma for 4 straight playoff exits

It can be both. It was both. A " - " for one guy doesn't mean a " + " for the other guy.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 am

Rocco wrote:I won't celebrate Bylsma's firing, because 2009 doesn't happen without him. But anyone who watched "The Sopranos" knows you're only as good as your last envelope. And Bylsma's last 4 envelopes have been far too light.

:thumb: Where do you come up with some of this stuff?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Rocco wrote:I won't celebrate Bylsma's firing, because 2009 doesn't happen without him. But anyone who watched "The Sopranos" knows you're only as good as your last envelope. And Bylsma's last 4 envelopes have been far too light.

It's a combination of pop culture knowledge, beer and genius. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how much you like someone, or what they've done in the past.

I say we blame Willie Colon. Who's with me?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 am

Lt. Dish wrote:

Totally on.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf66 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:09 am

Bylsma will be our coach next season,like it or not. He has support throughout.

Perhaps an assistant will be sacrificed.

58, 12, 10, 36 are gone. 9 and 48 are gone too.

29 will not have the trade value we want. The only way we buy him out is if we Thani we can sign both 58 and 71.

The roles of 44, 2, 27, 5 need to be diminished.

19 will be on the top line.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 am

Rocco wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

It's a combination of pop culture knowledge, beer and genius. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how much you like someone, or what they've done in the past.

We don't have Willie Colon to push around anymore. We can't even gripe about James Harrison being held on every single play.

Man, Steelers season is going to suck.

I'm going to blame Pinky Tuscadero. If it weren't for her and her punk sister Leather, then there wouldn't have been a shark to jump in the first place.

I have no idea what I'm saying.

I'm so sad.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Cagsjr724 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:You could actually thank FHCMT for that cup...

Yes Sir

Except he was running them out of the playoff picture completely when he was fired.

The thing about that cup is that the Pens won that cup and Bylsma hasn't won another cup since that cup and it was nice when he had that cup.

You have been watching way too many of those AT&T commercials (the ones with the kids). :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

We don't have Willie Colon to push around anymore. We can't even gripe about James Harrison being held on every single play.

I'm going to blame Pinky Tuscadero. If it weren't for her and her punk sister Leather, then there wouldn't have been a shark to jump in the first place.

I'm so sad.

If you think I'm going to let the fact that Colon's no longer a Steeler keep me from blaming him for everything or crapping on him on a regular basis, you haven't been paying attention to my posts here for the last...um...has it been 13 years? Good God. Anyway, he's my whipping boy and he'll stay my whipping boy until I find someone who sucks worse than him.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:14 am

DayWalker wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Everybody crapping the bed is precisely why it is coach's fault. You could blame 1 or 2 guys not producing, but if it's the entire team getting shut down like this, it's the approach.

No, actually, I will blame the players who scored two goals in four games. Coaches coach and players play. Sid and Geno are paid handsomely for a reason.

But players follow their coach's directions. Like the PP setup or when to forecheck or a left wing lock kinda thing. You must have heard Milbury's discussion of Julien's 'layers of defense' system and noticed it in action. I didn't think of that before he said it but, wow, it was impressive once I started looking for it. if one of our players beat a Bruin, there was immediately another one waiting. It was impressive and pretty awesome. That's good coaching and something Dan had no answer for in this series.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DayWalker on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:18 am

Sarcastic wrote:
DayWalker wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Everybody crapping the bed is precisely why it is coach's fault. You could blame 1 or 2 guys not producing, but if it's the entire team getting shut down like this, it's the approach.

But players follow their coach's directions. Like the PP setup or when to forecheck or a left wing lock kinda thing. You must have heard Milbury's discussion of Julien's 'layers of defense' system and noticed it in action. I didn't think of that before he said it but, wow, it was impressive once I started looking for it. if one of our players beat a Bruin, there was immediately another one waiting. It was impressive and pretty awesome. That's good coaching and something Dan had no answer for in this series.

You still manage more than 2 goals with this roster. Sorry. If coaches were that important, they would make as much or more than the best players. They do not for a reason. Bylsma should not be absolved of blame, but the lion's share of the criticism falls on the players--and it starts with Sid and Geno.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:20 am

Don't you talk bad about Leather Tuscadero. I was 11 at the time...
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:33 am

Rocco wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:We don't have Willie Colon to push around anymore. We can't even gripe about James Harrison being held on every single play.

I'm so sad.

If you think I'm going to let the fact that Colon's no longer a Steeler keep me from blaming him for everything or crapping on him on a regular basis, you haven't been paying attention to my posts here for the last...um...has it been 13 years? Good God. Anyway, he's my whipping boy and he'll stay my whipping boy until I find someone who sucks worse than him.

POSER
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 am

blackjack68 wrote:Don't you talk bad about Leather Tuscadero. I was 11 at the time...

Leather >>>> Pinkie.

Although...

Paula Petralunga rools all.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 am

Eismann wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Don't you talk bad about Leather Tuscadero. I was 11 at the time...

Leather >>>> Pinkie.

Although...

I dunno. I think she should have stayed in the convent. I like her name better, though. It's more like Gina Lollobrigida. "Pinky" is too fluffy.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:42 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:We don't have Willie Colon to push around anymore. We can't even gripe about James Harrison being held on every single play.

I'm so sad.

POSER

/slips into blackout rage mode
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:43 am

DayWalker wrote:
You still manage more than 2 goals with this roster. Sorry. If coaches were that important, they would make as much or more than the best players. They do not for a reason. Bylsma should not be absolved of blame, but the lion's share of the criticism falls on the players--and it starts with Sid and Geno.

Stop right there please. You have never coached anything at any level and it shows. If you did then you would understand that no matter the talent...no matter the players...IF YOU DON'T PUT THEM IN THE PROPER POSITION TO SUCCEED you get shut down rather easily...you score 2 goals in 270 plus mins of hockey. Proper position does NOT mean right or left wing but rather position in the collective scheme of things. This series was no where even close as the scores were...minus the blowout game two.

Bylsma has lived off his Cup winning year in 2009. I certainly hope he is gone because the great players this team has are only getting older. Minus the Lightning playoff loss year which I give Bylsma a pass on...(Malkin and Crosby out) he has had the Penguins under achieve by a gigantic amount.

I love his hockey...it is fun to watch. It is also the easiest to shut down.

Notice how the year he took over he was only 20 plus games in the regular season and then the playoffs hit. Nobody knew how to shut down his 100 mph style of play. It was new, it was fresh and the opponents were taken back by it...the Penguins loved the fresh new style...

All this came to an halt the day Montreal Canadiens showed the world the blue print for beating the Penguins in a seven game series. Think about that...

what have the Pens done since getting upset by the Canadiens in 2010.
2011 out by the Lightning after having a 3-1 lead.
2012 out by the Flyers in embarrassing fashion.
2013 out by the Bruins in even more embarrassing fashion.

Truth be told, Dan is not a good coach. He was the right guy at the right time and it all just fit perfectly. As the playoff rounds go on, the coaching and the schemes get better and more sharp.

He makes zero adjustments. None. His big adjustment is scratching a player and dressing another.

Matter of fact I was such a Bylsma supporter but I am done getting his back. IMO he has stolen his pay check for the last three years. Again there are many people at LGP.com that are fully capable of making the same NON-adjustments and lack of decision for a lot less money.

if he is not fired then Shero should go too because Dan has done the players, organization and fans a total disservice three of the last four years.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Leather >>>> Pinkie.

Although...

I dunno. I think she should have stayed in the convent. I like her name better, though. It's more like Gina Lollobrigida. "Pinky" is too fluffy.

FAce.

Love,

The Hooper Triplets.

Yeah, Eismeat got that, yo. POW!
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:51 am

People ... People ... People.

He is gone. No doubt about it. The players will have zero trust in his system after this series.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:53 am

Iceman, well done!

Love,
Jenny Piccalo

While we're at it, just say NO to Tortorella:

Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:00 am

Lt. Dish wrote:Iceman, well done!

Love,
Jenny Piccalo

While we're at it, just say NO to Tortorella:

Falcon Turf.

#100 on the jukebox.

Fab ref, Dishmeat.

Officer Kirk sez "Go home, Jailbird!"

Sticks Downey begs to differ.

Run it past Clarence.

Wah wah wah, Blue Eyes.

/randomHappyDayzsynapticfirings
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penmyst on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 am

Here's hoping the Pens get the new coach in place quickly. That will let them focus on dealing with the players regarding signings. Maybe knowing what the new guy will want to do will help them there.

Until then, we always have the Buccos.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby maopens on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 am

Anyone who thinks Dan Bylsma should stay has just watched a different series than the one I saw.

I've watched him get outcoached, and his teams fall flat, for too many years in a row. His system is not working and I for one cannot watch another year of playoffs that follows the same script. We need a shakeup and maybe it will have some positive effect on our "best players in the world" who seem to find ways to fall asleep in the playoffs.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins