bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bye-bye Dan Bylsma

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:14 am

So how'd his post-game go?

"We just never could get to our game." ??
"The powerplay looked good." ??
"I've never coached. I came here to win games." ??
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:23 am

Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 am

Eismann wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:Iceman, well done!

Love,
Jenny Piccalo

While we're at it, just say NO to Tortorella:

Falcon Turf.

#100 on the jukebox.

Fab ref, Dishmeat.

Officer Kirk sez "Go home, Jailbird!"

Sticks Downey begs to differ.

Run it past Clarence.

Wah wah wah, Blue Eyes.

/randomHappyDayzsynapticfirings

Thank you, Eismann. Really. I so needed (maybe still need) cheering up. I'm so stunned and sad. I wasn't ready for it to be over--not at all. I really thought we were going to win it all. I would've been OK with losing in the Final, I suppose, since the West team would be formidable. I guess I counted on it too much, because it's very rare that I feel that way--maybe once a decade or so. I guess I counted on our guys to show up. I guess I should just go to sleep.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:32 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:Iceman, well done!

Love,
Jenny Piccalo

While we're at it, just say NO to Tortorella:

Falcon Turf.

#100 on the jukebox.

Fab ref, Dishmeat.

Officer Kirk sez "Go home, Jailbird!"

Sticks Downey begs to differ.

Run it past Clarence.

Wah wah wah, Blue Eyes.

/randomHappyDayzsynapticfirings

Thank you, Eismann. Really. I so needed (maybe still need) cheering up. I'm so stunned and sad. I wasn't ready for it to be over--not at all. I really thought we were going to win it all. I would've been OK with losing in the Final, I suppose, since the West team would be formidable. I guess I counted on it too much, because it's very rare that I feel that way--maybe once a decade or so. I guess I counted on our guys to show up. I guess I should just go to sleep.

Cheer up, Shortcake. The Pens are Fonzies. We could be Malphs.

Realize and enjoy your position. Most others are envious.

Next year, we're seniors again at Jefferson High School.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:39 am

Not sure if they would even consider Torts or he would even consider us, after all the crap he talked about the pens and their organization.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:41 am

Has science progressed to the point that Badger Bob's corpse could coach the team?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Not sure if they would even consider Torts or he would even consider us, after all the crap he talked about the pens and their organization.

I was kidding ... I just wanted an excuse to post the article from the onion
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 am

Eismann wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Eismann wrote: /randomHappyDayzsynapticfirings

Cheer up, Shortcake. The Pens are Fonzies. We could be Malphs.

Realize and enjoy your position. Most others are envious.

Next year, we're seniors again at Jefferson High School.

Yeah, I've seen many playoff busts in my sports fan life. I'll be OK. Bigger picture, if this is the greatest sadness in my life today, then I'm very blessed.

Onto the Bucs. Yay?

Good night.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Desiato on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:54 am

HCDB: "It certainly wasn't lack of opportunity or scoring chances or situations for our team, for our players, for our power play. We did have them. And at the end it felt like not only Tuukka Rask was keeping the puck out of the net, but there was a force around the net, because we had some great opportunities, good situations for our team, our players, and were not able to find any kind of goal in this series, and never a lead."

Now, that's running out of answers!
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:04 am

"Our team is a team that considers itself a team."
-Disco Dan
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:35 am

That's some Bylsmagic for you.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SLF66 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:00 am

Kovy27 wrote:You could actually thank FHCMT for that cup...

Let the idiotic comments begin
SLF66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:00 am

R.I.P Dan "there was a force" Bylsma
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:17 am

Boogeyman wrote:It's hard to say what kind of coach this team needs as this team is most likely going to change dramatically over the next two years. I certainly hope that we choose to go with someone who has experience at this level, not looking to the AHL for up and comers. One thing is for certain, we cannot hire someone who is of the Bylsma/Boudreau philosophy.

With that said, did anyone ever think that the current day teams in Boston, LA or Chicago would win 2 cups before the Penguins? That sounds entitled but it's a viable question. I personally feel like we have wasted a good amount of our "cup window" being patient with a coach who's expiration date has come and gone.

Good point and good question. After next year, the Pens have only (IIRC) four players under contract, and one of them is MAF, who may be gone much sooner. They definitely have a chance to rebuild. All the more reason to pick a new coach sooner and then build the roster according to his scheme.

I thought Chicago might win again ahead of the Pens. And now I'm reduced to Hossa vs. Jagr, assuming CHI closes out LA. :-?
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:17 am

" And at the end, it felt like not only Tuukka Rask was keeping the puck out of the net, but there was a force around the net".

- Dan Bylsma

Ah yeah... OK coach, it was Aliens
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:24 am

Just wanted to say that you can add me (in case anybody's counting) to the 'just say no to Tortorella' camp.
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:34 am

Good riddance... best of luck
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
" And at the end, it felt like not only Tuukka Rask was keeping the puck out of the net, but there was a force around the net".

- Dan Bylsma

Ah yeah... OK coach, it was Aliens

This team is in need of a fresh strategy, but I don't question Bylsma here. Rask was "in the zone", no question. Pucks were like beach balls to him this series. He faced more rubber in game three than a French whore on Bastille Day against the top offensive team in the league... he was totally using "the force".

Fare thee well, Dan... but I can't disagree with him that it seemed Rask was a Jedi at times.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:07 am

Guiness, from a fans perspective, sure.

But for a coach to suggest that it was supernatural forces???

I saw more soft soft soft shots by the Pens in this series than I've seen since the 2002-2003 season.

Much of that was due to the bruins taking away time and space, which is why the Pens needed to make adjustments, which they didn't make.

You can start with the decision to go with the same PP unit that had failed so miserably at the start of game four.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 am

To the guy who is hilariously blaming the players and freeing the coach of fault: if he has nothin to do with what the players are able to do on the ice, who cares if he goes? Hes apparently just there. If hes not responsible for the bad, hes not responsible for the good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 am

To an extent I agree, EPP. At the same time, Rask was making saves over his pay scale, in my opinion. That happens sometimes. BOS were playing almost as perfect a series as I've seen a team play, in terms of their system (which in my opinion was a pile of garbage, but the fact remains...).

It was a function of three factors, I think - PGH over thinking their shots, Rask imitating Jacques Plante, and BOS as a whole buying in to the Nth degree.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 am

Rask was spectacular in his consistency, but he wasn't challenged to make spectacular saves. Our scoring chances were generally perimeter shots or trying to shoot through 3 bruins + a goalie. Not enough movement. Not enough 2nd chance shots. Certainly not enough adjustment.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:53 am

Boston had a great plan against Crosby and Malkin and they stuck to it. Bylsma never found a way around it. Sid and Geno don't get held off the scoresheet for four games because they aren't trying. They got held off because Boston got their matchup every single time one of those guys was out there and Bylsma did nothing to get around it.

Coaching the biggest reason why both of those guys had no points.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 am

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... z2VYCol2d6
I think this is a great summary which describes Disco's faults while discussing the Pens' play.
He obviously has to go. He could be viewed as a good coach because of regular season record but his teams have been underachieving playoff failures. Last year's Flyer series should have gotten him fired. This years Bruin series is worse in many ways.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10 am

The "force around the net" is directly relative to the absence of Penguins sweaters.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins