Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Since we are now officially in the Pens offseason, might as well start an offseason thread.

1) HCDB - Stay or Go ==> Crosby and Malkin aren't getting any younger. For the 3rd year in a row, the Penguins have suffered an epic playoff collapse. While the "core" is the same, other players have changed. The constant is Bylsma. I don't think you can have an entire team go cold for a series, especially when your team averaged more than 4 goals per game each of the two prior series. Yes, Rask was stellar, but it would appear the Bruins completely countered the Pens system to the point they often looked lost, obviously were frustrated, and just could not generate any offense. Lack of discipline is another area of concern. The Pens for the 2nd year in a row allow too much to get in their heads instead of just playing their game. A PP that was dominate in 1st two rounds, blanked. Another area just totally shut down by Boston. For once, I agree with Keith Jones and Mike Milbury....Dan Bylsma has to go. If not, then Shero/Lemieux are just as arrogant as Bylsma's belief in his system that has failed again.

2) Fleury ==> Fleury's playoff meltdown is becoming too common. Many are calling for Fleury to be dealt, bought out, etc. I for one don't see this happening for the simple fact that there is no long-term Plan B. The Pens have nobody else in their system that even smells of a franchise goalie, let alone a sure-fire NHL starter. There is nobody else out there that is going to be available that would be a playoff anchor in goal. With a change in coach, hopefully would bring in a new goalie coach other than Meloche. Fleury is still only 28 and continues to put up impressive numbers in the regular system. You hope that you can right Fleury for the playoffs, but if not, you need to have a short-term Plan B like a Vokoun. For as bad as Fleury was in the Isles series, goaltending did not lose this series.

3) Dupuis/Cooke==> In short, I think both should be resigned. Dupuis, if you can get under 4mil, is a bargain. He showed at times that he didn't need Crosby to put up the points. He is an outstanding PK, has great speed, great shot, and is one of the few players that never quit. a 2-year deal if he'll stay and pass up huge offers that will be out there for him. Cooke, I gave up on for Morrow originally, but like Tyler Kennedy, the guy just shows up in the playoffs. Another one of those guys that does not quit and is giving it his all every shift, I think the Pens need to bring him back.

4) Malkin/Letang ==> While the salary cap next year is a concern, it is the 2014-2015 season that will really be the issue. Malkin and Letang are both under contract next season, but the season after is when the extra cap hit would occur from their extensions. After this years playoff performance, I think one of them will have to go to help restructure the team, and most likely, it would be Malkin. While Pens are stacked at defense, none of them is assured of reaching the potential Letang has and has already achieved. Yes, his defense is poor at times, but quality d-men are hard to find. Trade Malkin for a young promising center, a #1, and maybe a prospect. Trading for RFA Sam Gagner comes to mind, as the Oilers have lots of young talent...enough that they may end up with a Malkin/Crosby/Staal type situation with not enough top 6 spots (Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, Nugent-Hopkins, Jones). The Pens will have a very hard time keeping Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal (possible 28-30mil) and field a quality team around them in 2014-2015.

5) UFA/RFA ==> Iginla gone. Morrow gone. Would like to see Murray come back, as he brings a big physical element Pens have not had in a long, long time. Not the end of the world if he doesn't return. Kennedy and Jeffrey will be interesting decisions. Do you keep a guy who sucked after getting his payday, but shows up in the playoffs when dressed? Do you keep a guy in Jeffrey who seems to have more potential then Pens give him credit for? Who do you bring in to help the defense, which badly needs it? Does Martin get bought out?
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Antonio on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 am

Martin was phenomenal in the regular season and most of the playoffs. No way you should buy him out as he is our best defenseman at the moment.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 am

#4. No thanks...you keep malkin, and you get rid of the guy who plays defense but wants to be a winger. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing letang take the puck into the zone and give it away only to result in a breakaway. The guy is a Norris candidate and his stock is high... Perfect time for a trade.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:12 am

Paul Martin had a career season and you want to buy him out? lolololol
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 am

You still have Crosby and Malkin. Things can be okay with the right moves.

First, have to fire Bylsma. Have to. System is the biggest reason the Pens can't get over the hump anymore.
Trade MAF for picks
Trade Letang for younger forwards.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:24 am

Coaching.

I'm resigned to it.

B's coaches planned the defense-first strategy which canned Pens.

They were smarter.

We need more brains.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 am

Get rid of Malkin instead of Letang? Holy smokes. I don't think I have ever seen a player spend more time below the dots than patrolling the blue line. The dude can skate like the wind, but he's just bad defensively and a sh*tty powerplay QB. He's not worth ~1 mil. less than Malkin right now, he just isn't. I know he helps our transition game, but we need more defense.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:42 am

I'm sick and tired of Pens fans bringing up 2011 as an "epic collapse". We were missing Crosby and Malkin. We've collapsed in 3 out of 4 seasons or 3 consecutive seasons IF YOU DON'T COUNT 2011. Which you absolutely shouldn't.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:43 am

1. HCDB has to go. I wish him success elsewhere, and I would bet that he finds it. He needs a really good X-O assistant at his side, he needs to change his approach to superstars, and he needs a change of scenery. He's humble enough to figure all that out, and he'll be a successful NHL coach again, just not in Pittsburgh.

2. I would lean buyout, but I see your point. Vokoun may have another good year in him, but can he log 50+ games in a normal-length season and be playoff sharp at his age?

3. I wouldn't be surprised if Cooke got a ridiculous offer from someone. There are still some old school GMs out there that think a guy like this is a need. It only takes one to lure him away. As for Duper, he'll make some money, but he might trade a $million per for an extra year or two of security. I see this getting worked out.

4. If Malkin is wililng to take $8.7or similar, he'll do it here long term. If he wants to max out, he'll do that somewhere else. I think he signs a Crosby-esqe long term deal to remaing a Penguin. Letang is a little trickier. His skill set is amazing, but if a new coach doesn't think he has it between the ears, you trade him now to a team that thinks they can re-sign him. Very similar to Staal last year, except Carolina knew 100% he'd be a long-term Cane.

5. Iginla & Morrow gone, Murray & Jeffery back, Kennedy probably gone. I pretty much agree with you here.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby neophool on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 am

Fire DB. love him, but its time.

Sadly, MAF should proably be traded for draft picks. Love the guy, and he will forever have his game 7 and Cup here, but I just dont see him coming around any time soon and this team needs a stable solid top 10 goalie. On the other hand, where the hell they are gonna get that goalie is beyond me. Vokoun is old and I dont think he holds up for more then 2 more seasons.

Dupuis must stay under 3.5-almost4 million, Cooke i'm just not sure about. Love his game, but his name is a liability.

Whatever it takes to keep Malkin. There's 2 people in teh world i'd trade Malkin away to get, and one is a 25 year old Datsyuk, the second is King Henrik.

Letang will have to go.

Iginla stays for cheap, Morrow gone is what i'd want if we are choosing between the 2. Morrow staying and Iginla gone is what will probably happen. Jeffery is meh, and Murray stays as a 3rd pairing D.
Last edited by neophool on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 am

Although coaching isn't the problem, player butt-kissing coaches always run their course (well, any coach runs their course at some point). That has happened in this case. No chance the Pens stick with disco. Although it's a bummer because he is a real good coach and better guy.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 am

Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB
Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB Fire DB, Fire DB, Fire DB
!!!!!!
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am

Tipett.

Tippett.

Tippet.

Tipet.

TP.
T.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:51 am

neophool wrote:Iginla stays for cheap, Morrow gone is what i'd want if we are choosing between the 2. Morrow staying and Iginla gone is what will probably happen. Jeffery is meh, and Murray stays as a 3rd pairing D.

I hope we don't keep Iginla. He was terrible. He just doesn't have 'it' anymore. And by 'it' I mean anything. He had more brain farts than anyone else tonight.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:55 am

FLPensFan wrote: Trade Malkin for a young promising center, a #1, and maybe a prospect.

Um I didn't quote the rest of the stuff because other than the Bylsma sentence this type of talk is absolutely crazy.

Trade Malkin?

You are insane. There is not one person in the league I would trade Malkin for. Not one and I even think crosby is better....but that is just how good Malkin is.

Trade Malkin....just effing WOW!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby neophool on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:00 am

bh wrote:
neophool wrote:Iginla stays for cheap, Morrow gone is what i'd want if we are choosing between the 2. Morrow staying and Iginla gone is what will probably happen. Jeffery is meh, and Murray stays as a 3rd pairing D.

I hope we don't keep Iginla. He was terrible. He just doesn't have 'it' anymore. And by 'it' I mean anything. He had more brain farts than anyone else tonight.

I agree about Iginla, but something tells me he's got something to offer. I dont know, I realize if he didn't have "it" now then why would he ever, but my gut feeling is that he's still got something left.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:09 am

thepittman wrote:Paul Martin had a career season and you want to buy him out? lolololol

I don't recall saying I would buy out Martin. I mentioned it above as some of the chatter, but did not say it should be done.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:13 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:#4. No thanks...you keep malkin, and you get rid of the guy who plays defense but wants to be a winger. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing letang take the puck into the zone and give it away only to result in a breakaway. The guy is a Norris candidate and his stock is high... Perfect time for a trade.

I can't say I disagree with you.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 am

ivand87 wrote:I'm sick and tired of Pens fans bringing up 2011 as an "epic collapse". We were missing Crosby and Malkin. We've collapsed in 3 out of 4 seasons or 3 consecutive seasons IF YOU DON'T COUNT 2011. Which you absolutely shouldn't.

They were up 3-1, got absolutely shelled 8-2 in game 5, and lost the series. That is a collapse, whether they had Crosby/Malkin or not. I don't think they would have gotten that far, but they certainly went down in flames with a big lead.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 am

FLPensFan wrote:
thepittman wrote:Paul Martin had a career season and you want to buy him out? lolololol

I don't recall saying I would buy out Martin. I mentioned it above as some of the chatter, but did not say it should be done.

Won't happen now. They will need him and he got his Paul Martin mojo back.

Really, you hope that the Pens address a few things. PP QB and some one to stand infront of the net.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:23 am

Paul Martin is the only true competent defenseman we have. All of the others lose their freaking brains when it matters most. End of story.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:23 am

Scott wrote:
FLPensFan wrote: Trade Malkin for a young promising center, a #1, and maybe a prospect.

Um I didn't quote the rest of the stuff because other than the Bylsma sentence this type of talk is absolutely crazy.

Trade Malkin?

You are insane. There is not one person in the league I would trade Malkin for. Not one and I even think crosby is better....but that is just how good Malkin is.

Trade Malkin....just effing WOW!

I didn't have to say you had to agree with it, and in fact, I really didn't say that is what I want to happen. I threw out a possibility. Because I have looked at the cap beyond next year very closely. The Pens will have serious cap issues in 2014-2015. 5 players in committed salary taking up 28mil of an almost certain 64.3mil cap....and neither of those 5 players is Malkin or Letang. It doesn't work. Major pieces will need to be moved out.

That being said, from what I have heard (was mentioned somewhere again tonight in print), ownership has repeatedly said keep both Crosby and Malkin AT ALL COSTS.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:25 am

Major pieces need to be moved out... that is Letang. See ya. Too many high-end prospects drooling for the opportunity. Mr. Norris can go wreak havoc on someone else's team's goaltender.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:36 am

I have no idea what to expect this off-season but i do know this:

Fleury, Bylsma and Letang need to be out of this franchise
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:39 am

So, I think you need to get a goalie before you can move MAF. If Bernier is the target, you have to have him in the organization before buyouts start.

Letang. Move Letang to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Makes sense on both sides.

Re-sign Duper, maybe Cooke.

See if you can get a D-man on the market/FA list.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins