Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:40 am

Bioshock wrote:I have no idea what to expect this off-season but i do know this:

Fleury, Bylsma and Letang need to be out of this franchise


Yep. Those three are the big changes that this team needs very badly.

And people need to stop with the Malkin trade crap. Sid and Geno are the two that ownership will not let be shipped out. The team will always be built around them.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,458
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:44 am

I'm not sure if it'll be smart to buyout Fleury, but Bylama gots to go. We need a coach who'll eat Letang alive if Letang does anything stupid.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,890
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: wat

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:49 am

1) I don't see how Bylsma can keep his job. 4 playoff exits since the Cup, two of them 1st round exits and only one trip the ECF with a roster like the Pens? He's gone. Mark it down.

2) Fleury....gone. They will make all attempts to trade. Maybe a Miller/Fleury swap, maybe for a team with a dman in a similar situation, but they will attempt trade him and if not, a buyout wouldn't shock me. I think a buyout will be a super last resort and not without them having another goalie wrapped up. Spending $5M a Fleury to have Vokoun carry us to the ECF? No way hoe-zay. With the exception of game 1, Vokoun was Phenomenal for us and shows Shero and the rest of the organization they can spend less money for better goaltending.

3) Dupuis and Cook will be re-sign and I project Dupuis will make either $3M for two years or $2.5 for three years. Cooke, 3 years/$2.3M

4) Part A) Malkin will NEVER be traded for one reason: Sidney Crosby. With Sid's health-risks, there's no way Malkin gets traded. Malkin is the greatest insurance policy in the game. If they Gino and Sid goes down, the Pens are back to square 1.

Part B) I don't see how Letang isn't moved this off-season. How Shero can justify giving Letang anywhere near his market value for the D that we have and the cost of losing multiple key parts to this team is beyond me. I just can't see it happening. I also don't see Shero holding on to Letang for his last year at the risk of losing him for nothing. Now is the best time to trade him.

If it were me, I'd offer him up as some sort of package to Colorado or Florida for their #1 Pick this year and hopefully they'd draft Nichushkin. Let me be clear, I still think Letang is one of the best dmen in the league, but clearly this team can't afford to take up a huge piece of cap space with one dman when our D is average with everyone we have now.

5) I think Kennedy gets traded, Morrow not re-signed, but I'm unsure what will happen with Iginla. I'm not against re-signing Iginla for the right money and if Bylsma is no longer the coach so he can't continue to mis-use him. I'm not sure if Jokinen will be traded or retained. I think it would be wise to re-sign Murray.

My notes: It's time to let Despres and Bortuzzo come in full-time. They're not going to develop any better if they don't actually get real time. I think both will be very good. I think the Penguins should trade Letang and Engellend. Go into next season with Martin, Orpik, Despres, Bortuzzo, Murray, Engellend and try to sign one more Dman. There are some really solid middle-rung dmen in the UFA pool this year. That may not look like the greatest d-core, but no matter what anyone says I like our Defensemen and I really believe they need a coach will get them in a real system and they'd be perfectly solid.

I think Bennett should be up full-time. I'd be fine with him playing on the third line with Cooke and Sutter.

I'd buyout Fleury and go after Backstrom or trade him for Miller

Fire Bylsma and sign Ruff.

There's my 2 cents.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,769
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:53 am

Take this for what it is, but it is a Swedish reporter that was at TD Garden, and he said he heard Pittsburgh reporters talking about "forces" within the organisation that want to trade BOTH Malkin and Letang and rebuild around Sid.

"Redan igår var det P-Burgh-murvlar som hävdade att krafter inom organisationen överväger att trejda både Malkin och Letang och försöka bygga nytt kring Crosby.
Det låter väldigt dramatiskt, men varför inte? Det är fyra år sedan det här laget gjorde vad klubbledning och fans har rätt att kräva denna tid på året."
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:00 am

This is not a rebuild situation. They lost in the Eastern Conference Finals. It's not like they're a lottery team.

This is a strategy change/personnel tweak situation.

One of Malkin/Letang may be moved, but it will be for cap reasons, and not because 'forces' within the organIzation want to blow the team up.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:22 am

If Malkin is traded and Letang and Bylsma are still in this organization next year I may not even watch.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,751
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 am

For me, it really comes down to this:

Can the Pens afford both Letang and Malkin?
The answer is probably "no."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,387
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:29 am

columbia wrote:For me, it really comes down to this:

Can the Pens afford both Letang and Malkin?
The answer is probably "no."


Agreed. Of the two, I think Letang is more likely to be moved. He's looking at Suter money, at a minimum, and with the depth in the pipeline, it makes him the safe bet to move, of the two.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby djlm on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:30 am

FLPensFan wrote:Does Martin get bought out?


I would stop reading here, but it's the end of the post already :twisted:
djlm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:14 am
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:19 am

-start looking for a long term goalie
-trade letang. He'll be too expensive for what he is when it matters
-ditch the coaching staff
-ditch the slow forwards
-hope to get lucky with Cooke and dupuis signing on the cheap
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,185
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby topshelf on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:35 am

I think the Pens should keep Letang if the price is right and he takes a discount. After his playoff performance, I can't see him walking into Shero's office with any leverage.

If he's looking to get paid, let him go.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,601
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby dollartaco on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am

Coaching, getting younger, defense.
dollartaco
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 am

Can't believe I'm even on here this morning. I figured to stay away until the draft. :lol:

I'm thinking Matt Cooke has seen his last shift as a Penguin. I certainly don't want to see him gone per se, but I think the team could do without his penalties-for-being-Matt Cooke. The 5 minute boarding, and the media s-storm that followed, could be avoided if he were elsewhere. Plus, I would love to see some other team - preferably one that complains about Cooke - sign him for the lulz.

Bylsma isn't going anywhere. His two playoff round wins have secured his job, IMO.

Letang to Colorado for their 1st round pick. Seth Jones FTW.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,259
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby KG on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:50 am

Bernier in LA is available. I know that Lombardi likes Kunitz. A Kunitz for Bernier swap could work and it would save cap space.

Trade MAF for a package of picks/prospects possibly a goalie.
Trade Letang for as much as you can get. Need to get deeper.

DB and staff needs to go. Time for some structure and discipline. Lindy Ruff...(Dave Tippet would be great as well, however he is most likely not leaving)...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 am

I do not see Shero blowing up an ECF team.

Being a GM means being a little dispassionate, analytical. Being a fan means being emotional and a little hysterical. Shero, happily, is a GM.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 am

Guinness wrote:I do not see Shero blowing up an ECF team.

Being a GM means being a little dispassionate, analytical. Being a fan means being emotional and a little hysterical. Shero, happily, is a GM.


If its not blown up he hasn't watched hockey since the championship in '09.

This team is only measured by postseason success with that roster, not winning your division.

And their postseason success is well documented and humiliating.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,392
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 am

KG wrote:Bernier in LA is available. I know that Lombardi likes Kunitz. A Kunitz for Bernier swap could work and it would save cap space.

Trade MAF for a package of picks/prospects possibly a goalie.
Trade Letang for as much as you can get. Need to get deeper.

DB and staff needs to go. Time for some structure and discipline. Lindy Ruff...(Dave Tippet would be great as well, however he is most likely not leaving)...

I am not sure why Lombardi for trade somebody like Bernier for Kunitz (soon to be 34 yrs old). He could get a Kunitz-like player who is closer in age to Bernier from another team.

Why wouldn't Tippett be interested in the Pens job? He will never have that kind of player talent in Phoenix or wherever that franchise ends up.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:00 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Can't believe I'm even on here this morning. I figured to stay away until the draft. :lol:

I'm thinking Matt Cooke has seen his last shift as a Penguin. I certainly don't want to see him gone per se, but I think the team could do without his penalties-for-being-Matt Cooke. The 5 minute boarding, and the media s-storm that followed, could be avoided if he were elsewhere. Plus, I would love to see some other team - preferably one that complains about Cooke - sign him for the lulz.

Bylsma isn't going anywhere. His two playoff round wins have secured his job, IMO.

Letang to Colorado for their 1st round pick. Seth Jones FTW.

Florida is shopping their 1st round pick (3rd overall, I believe). I think they make more sense than Colorado.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,639
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:00 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Can't believe I'm even on here this morning. I figured to stay away until the draft. :lol:

I'm thinking Matt Cooke has seen his last shift as a Penguin. I certainly don't want to see him gone per se, but I think the team could do without his penalties-for-being-Matt Cooke. The 5 minute boarding, and the media s-storm that followed, could be avoided if he were elsewhere. Plus, I would love to see some other team - preferably one that complains about Cooke - sign him for the lulz.

Bylsma isn't going anywhere. His two playoff round wins have secured his job, IMO.

Letang to Colorado for their 1st round pick. Seth Jones FTW.


I'm not confident about a lot with penguins hockey these days, but I'm 100% confident Dan Bylsma is gone.

He coached his last game as a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,392
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:02 am

pens2005 wrote:
Guinness wrote:I do not see Shero blowing up an ECF team.

Being a GM means being a little dispassionate, analytical. Being a fan means being emotional and a little hysterical. Shero, happily, is a GM.


If its not blown up he hasn't watched hockey since the championship in '09.

This team is only measured by postseason success with that roster, not winning your division.

And their postseason success is well documented and humiliating.


Glad you're not GM.

Post season success? How many teams have been to the ECF 3 of the past 6 years? That's elite.

The goal, obviously, is to win the Cup. But you do not "blow up" a team that gets within a series of the Cup - and wins it once, mind you - every other year on average. You change coaches. You tweak your roster. You do NOT make wholesale changes for the sake of making changes.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:06 am

Guinness wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
Guinness wrote:I do not see Shero blowing up an ECF team.

Being a GM means being a little dispassionate, analytical. Being a fan means being emotional and a little hysterical. Shero, happily, is a GM.


If its not blown up he hasn't watched hockey since the championship in '09.

This team is only measured by postseason success with that roster, not winning your division.

And their postseason success is well documented and humiliating.


Glad you're not GM.

Post season success? How many teams have been to the ECF 3 of the past 6 years? That's elite.

The goal, obviously, is to win the Cup. But you do not "blow up" a team that gets within a series of the Cup - and wins it once, mind you - every other year on average. You change coaches. You tweak your roster. You do NOT make wholesale changes for the sake of making changes.


You're right, you make wholesale changes when the roster is stacked and you keep losing and you have 6 players due for a raise in a year with a shrinking cap.

Know the situation, bud.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,392
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 am

I guess it depends on your definition of "wholesale changes" and "blowing the team up".

Shero has interviews to conduct. He has decisions to make. He's not looking at the roster on a NHL13 screen. Maybe Letang takes a reasonable contract to stay here, and maybe a new coach settles his game down or, more aptly, implements a system which diminishes his errors. Maybe that new coach does the same for Fleury. Or maybe he decides one or the other - or both - aren't going to fit going forward.

Only thing I know is, if Shero throws a hissy fit and starts moving pieces of an ECF finalist team out like folks around here would (understandably, as fans) want to, he deserves to be fired.

The job is not to be a fan. It's to be a manager.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,335
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby iceolater on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:13 am

Head coach: Ruff Tippett John Stevens
Malkin: Trade to LA for Bernier n Kopitar n pick
Letang: Trade to Ducks for Bobby Ryan
Dont resign Cooke: Go after Hawks Bickell (This team needs infront of net toughness n grit w goal scoring ability.
Look for trade offers on Kunitz n Neil (he cant play without Malkin)
Trade Fluery to Minnesota. They are looking for a goalie (Picks n Clutterbuck who would be our new Cooke)
Bennett Bortuzzo Depres : promote full time
Gone w no offers: Adams Kennedy Cooke Iginla
Offers: Murray n Morrow (He gets in the face and brings leadership which they will need.)
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:22 am

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:14 am

Guinness, you're acting like you didn't just witness 4 straight games of colossal failure. There's losing and there's getting run out of the building. This series was the latter - and that should never happen with this roster , ECF or otherwise
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,185
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Top 5 issues for Penguins to address this offseason

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 am

shmenguin wrote:Guinness, you're acting like you didn't just witness 4 straight games of colossal failure. There's losing and there's getting run out of the building. This series was the latter - and that should never happen with this roster , ECF or otherwise
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,392
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, dodint and 26 guests


e-mail