Fleury buy-out?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fleury buy-out?

Postby Kharlamov on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am

Do you think this will happen?

With the cap situation, it seems like a real possibility. Although a real lower tier team might trade for him, which of course would be better.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Fleury buy-out?

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 am

Kharlamov wrote:Do you think this will happen?

With the cap situation, it seems like a real possibility. Although a real lower tier team might trade for him, which of course would be better.

No need. Teams will be interested. Like calgary.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 am

IDK. Would a new goalie coach help? Can he calm down and play confidently? I just feel like there aren't all that many good goalies out there. I feel like we let him go and then.........?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Boogeyman on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 am

bh wrote:IDK. Would a new goalie coach help? Can he calm down and play confidently? I just feel like there aren't all that many good goalies out there. I feel like we let him go and then.........?

Bernier in LA is going to get dealt this off-season for sure.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:59 am

If you're going to fire and replace Bylsma, wouldn't you want to see how Fleury performs under the new coach before making a decision on how you want to handle him?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:01 am

I wonder if the possibility would exist for a Fleury for Miller swap with Buffalo since they're trying to deal him/rebuild. Provided the Pens are in fact done with MAF.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 am

MRandall25 wrote:If you're going to fire and replace Bylsma, wouldn't you want to see how Fleury performs under the new coach before making a decision on how you want to handle him?

Yes. However, people over react and want important piece traded/moved.

It was the coach. End of the story.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:09 am

Kovy27 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:If you're going to fire and replace Bylsma, wouldn't you want to see how Fleury performs under the new coach before making a decision on how you want to handle him?

Also I don't see how you can't do both.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 am

I wouldn't have a problem seeing if they can fix Fleury with a new coach. Its possible.

But it just really feels like he's done here.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 am

I go many ways on this....

1 - IF the Pens get rid of Fleury, they need to have a plan to have another solid goalie to play with Vokoun.... Vokoun will be 37 next year and can't be counted on to play 55 to 60 games in the regular season and carry the load in the playoffs... if they cant bring in another quality backup to push Vokoun and give you 30 games in the regular season, you have to keep Fleury, have a competition for the starting spot going almost 50-50 during the regular season, and then riding the hot goalie in the playoffs

2 - IF they do find a 2nd goalie, the best for the organization would be to trade Fleury for whatever you can get.... just so you get something and don't have to pay the buyout

3 - I'm a big Fleury fan and he's done alot for this franchise.... and I hope he has a great career after leaving Pittsburgh..... I almost hope they buy him out and let him get to choose where he signs with next, rather than seeing him traded to a bad team.... especially if all they will get is a crappy prospect or mid round draft pick in return..... if you do get a solid return for him, then I guess you realize its a business and wish him the best

but I think we all know Fleury is not the long term goalie anymore.... he may get another year, but he wont be the undisputed starter and starter for the playoffs..... it's sad that its probably the end of the Fleury era, but its best for the team and best for him as a player to move on
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Willie Kool on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:13 am

Letang and Fleury to Montreal for Price and Subban.

:pop:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:13 am

SolidSnake wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

Also I don't see how you can't do both.

The only thing I can see them doing is trading either Letang or Malkin. It is all about the salary cap next year...and if you are moving Fleury, you need a goaltender back. There is no guarantee that Vokoun won't turn into Brent Johnson next year.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 am

Agreed, I would love to see Bernier on the Pens don't know how that would happen but. Then if Tippett is somehow an option then maybe Mike Smith would follow? Both are far fetched but I cannot rationalize keeping Letang over Malkin
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KBone on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 am

How does Bylsma as a coach have anything to do with stuff like...

This... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJRJvGejRI

or this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFJWFwPGZs

or this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJRagB_cFzk
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 am

SolidSnake wrote:Agreed, I would love to see Bernier on the Pens don't know how that would happen but. Then if Tippett is somehow an option then maybe Mike Smith would follow? Both are far fetched but I cannot rationalize keeping Letang over Malkin

There was some ridiculous article about Kopitar and Bernier for Malkin....I don't see that happening. I think Bernier can be had for a player (we have a ton of D prospects that are close) and a pick. If you get that done, they you can buy out Fleury or ship him to Calgary/Edmonton/etc.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 am

I think he is trade-able. I just don't know if he is salvageable for the Pens at this point.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:25 am

Kovy27 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Agreed, I would love to see Bernier on the Pens don't know how that would happen but. Then if Tippett is somehow an option then maybe Mike Smith would follow? Both are far fetched but I cannot rationalize keeping Letang over Malkin

There was some ridiculous article about Kopitar and Bernier for Malkin....I don't see that happening. I think Bernier can be had for a player (we have a ton of D prospects that are close) and a pick. If you get that done, they you can buy out Fleury or ship him to Calgary/Edmonton/etc.

I think if that deal happened that would make LA the cup favorites already cause they are already set with Quick in nets and they are basically getting Kopitar for Malkin straight up
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:29 am

SolidSnake wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

I think if that deal happened that would make LA the cup favorites already cause they are already set with Quick in nets and they are basically getting Kopitar for Malkin straight up

It definitely would give them goal scoring.

It would take more than that to get Malkin imo. I'd want a D guy too...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:35 am

If we are offering up Fleury, Minnesota would be in on him big time I think.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:36 am

KBone wrote:How does Bylsma as a coach have anything to do with stuff like...

This... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJRJvGejRI

or this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFJWFwPGZs

or this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJRagB_cFzk

You do realize, that all three of those clips, were not in this Boston series don't you?
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:14 am

This isn't even a point of discussion. If Fleury goes away (which I hope he does), it's via trade.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tyler Durden on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 am

I don't see it happening for several reasons. As an organization, I don't see the Penguins doing that. It's not the way they roll. If Fleury is to be jettisoned, it will be via a trade. The other thing to consider is a possible coaching change. A new coaching staff means a new system and a fresh start. I'm not sure Bylsma will be fired, but if he is, hiring a new coaching staff should be a reason to keep Fleury. I realize MAF has not played to his capabilities but the team defense in front of him hasn't been consistently good, either.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 am

Kharlamov wrote:Do you think this will happen?

Just trade him.

Trust me, teams would glady trade for fleury.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 am

The coaching staff isn't what makes someone unable to handle pressure situations. What a weird notion.

And miller is horrid. If that's their idea for a succession plan, I mean...I don't even...
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 am

Not me. Fleury's confidence in this jersey is done for good. I'm not taking that risk come next postseason.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins