The GM game, beat the cap

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The GM game, beat the cap

Postby GeoTank on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 pm

So let's all play the GM game. What would your team look like next year to fit under the cap. Go to capgeek.com and fill out the cap calculator and see what you can do.

I'm trying to make some trades, cuts, signings that make some sense and could happen.

Show you new roster, try to explain your additions and subtractions.

game on....

Trading Letang to LAK for rights to Bernier (signed for increase) and Penner (signed for same) might also to be able to get some combination of picks or prospects
Signing Scuds from LAK he's UFA
Traded MAF to .... anyone got Picks, prospects???? something, nothing NHL ready
Resigned Duper and Cooke for slight $ increase (home team discount)
Resigned Eaton, Murray, Jeffries, Malkin all for the same as last year
Compliance buyout of Orpik

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m)
Matt Cooke ($2.000m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Dustin Penner ($3.250m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m)
Steve MacIntyre ($0.625m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.000m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Mark Eaton ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.500m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Brooks Orpik ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,335,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,964,167
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The GM game, beat the cap

Postby DelPen on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:56 am

Why on earth would you buyout Orpik instead of Niskanen?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bse on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:43 am

That D would be worse than the one we have right now.

Actually much worse, since it would be slower, softer, smaller, and it would further reduce the effectiveness of the PP.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 am

DelPen wrote:Why on earth would you buyout Orpik instead of Niskanen?

So we can still have Deryk Engelland in the top 6.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GeoTank on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:48 am

I'd give you 6yrs of age and $1.450.000 reasons why I did that

bse wrote:That D would be worse than the one we have right now.

Actually much worse, since it would be slower, softer, smaller, and it would further reduce the effectiveness of the PP.

No way Scuds is slower than Orpik, plays better D too.
Murray has been as good as advertised could be the next Gill
Day-Pray is ready

I'm up for ideas and other inputs.
No thoughts on Bernier or Penner ?
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby janissary782 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:01 pm

-Letang, Maata/Pouliot, a first for Ryan Miller
-Buyout MAF (or trade I guess but he has no value)
-Resign Dupuis (preferably for a one year deal at that salary - if he wants term, he needs to give back dollars)
-Resign Iginla (only for this sort of crazy pay cut - if you want to chase a cup, let's chase it)
-Let Cooke and Kennedy walk
-Resign Bortuzzo

This roster also assumes we have a coach competent enough to set the lines.

FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($2.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($3.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
David Steckel ($1.000m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Jayson Megna ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Marc-Andre Fleury ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,884,167; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $723,333
janissary782
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby itissteeltime on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm

janissary782 wrote:-Letang, Maata/Pouliot, a first for Ryan Miller

Holy ****, thank god you're not the gm.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby janissary782 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:11 pm

itissteeltime wrote:

You have to give to get. Would you rather suffer through another year of miserable goaltending performances or attempt to win a cup now while Crosby and Malkin are still as good as they are going to be?
janissary782
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:16 pm

janissary782 wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:

You have to give to get. Would you rather suffer through another year of miserable goaltending performances or attempt to win a cup now while Crosby and Malkin are still as good as they are going to be?

If you think an old Ryan Miller on the decline is even worth Pouliot alone...yikes.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Better be prepared for this either way with the cap dropping.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby itissteeltime on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:19 pm

janissary782 wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:

Letang, Pouliot, and a first should fetch us the best goalie in the league and more.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 pm

That would easily be one of the worst trades of all time.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby janissary782 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 pm

I don't disagree, but the only relevant roster player in return is Miller. If there's a 4th liner Shero likes, I'm sure he could pick him up too. A prospect maybe. I was really only concered with Miller. Since I'm not the GM, and I don't really like any of their depth players, I wasn't too concerned with making a complete trade by looking up their prospect pool and scouting a forward prospect or something.
janissary782
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

GeoTank wrote:

I'd give you 6yrs of age and $1.450.000 reasons why I did that

No way Scuds is slower than Orpik, plays better D too.
Murray has been as good as advertised could be the next Gill
Day-Pray is ready

I'm up for ideas and other inputs.
No thoughts on Bernier or Penner ?

No offense but Murray was so awful the coaching staff all but refused to use him in the OT game. He played 17 minutes in 5 periods of hockey.

The lineup in by the OP - I see where its going but its not enough for me. I understand that buyouts and cap make this tough for here are my issues:

1. Our 3rd and 4th lines are garbage if we keep mostly the same guys we have now. Cooke / Sutter together are way too slow not too mention our 4th line. I agree that BS provides decent defensive play but our 3rd/4th lines offer us nothing else. Nothing. We need more speed and we need to get some guys that are capable of actually carrying the play not just keeping the other lines from scoring. I said it in here before and got bashed but to win the cup, not just a random round you need more than guys who can slow trap. You need guys who change momentum, carry the play and where down the other squad.

2. Our defense stinks. Martin (and eventually Orpik to a point in the playoffs) had the only decent overall positional play. Maybe Letang stays if you can reign him in and pair with him a younger more solid player in his own zone than an Orpik. But I wave bye bye to Nisky (buy out), Murray, Engellend, Eaton at the very least. No point in keeping any of those guys around. They stink.

3. In my mind the only realistic buy out candidate is Nisky. The Pens simply can not afford, along with paying Sid over his cap value, the cash out of pocket to pay $6 - $10 million more than the cap ceiling.

4. This is going to set people off but its my opinion. I have been saying for 2 years that the Pens had the perfect formula to win a cup. 2-3 Stars and surrounded them with solid muckers/2 way players and 6 guys who just simply play good defense. Didnt even need a 30 minute ice time eater.

I try to trade to James Neal and Orpik, possibly Kunitz. I dont re-sign Dupuis. The issue is the FA's available this summer are garbage so my plan might backfire but we are up against the cap with Malkin needing signed next year (oh btw I DONT TRADE MALKIN).

I get back to the formula that showed us the most success. Neal is a sniper who is just too easy to take out of the game. Talbot/Fedetenko made Malkin better because they opened up space. I get guys who fly up and down the ice (a younger Kunitz, a motivated Talbot) or 2 way players like a younger Sykora. I stockpiled these defensive prospects which do me no good for 2 - 3 more years most likely. I hope to heck 2 are ready to contribute as 5, 6 or 7 type players next year and I dump 3 of them at least.

Look we have a window that is closing by the minute. I dont care if all these PMDM turn out great, we are wasting 3 - 5 years of having Sid/Geno. Get back to what worked 2 years in a row. 2 way players, cycle, guys who opened up space for Malkin, guys who didnt make mistakes on defense. Since we dont have Staal to carry a line that fits a tough guy/speed guy (Cooke / Kennedy) together perfectly we need some players to compliment Sutter.

It seemed to me that Rask took away legit Malkin/Neal scoring chances by coming a little bit further out of his net than others, cutting off the angles. This forced a lot of posts, wide shots and Neal painting the glass from his favorite spot. That DOESNT work if our wingers are getting the puck deep and getting Geno better looks, crashing the net so Geno doesnt need to pick corners he can cannon a shot and look for a rebound.

Weve got none of that. Bigger changes are needed than a few new wings, a new d-men and Beau Bennet. It needs blown up. We got through 2 rounds this year because the Isles goalie stunk and Ottawas forwards couldnt carry the puck past the blue line. It will be rare to get a series like those two again. Dont be fooled by the Conference Championship Round.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Still a bad trade. The fact that 2 Pens defensemen would be included along with a first (something the Pens are already lacking) wouldn't allow for a return worthy of the cost.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Stopped reading when Neal was called a sniper that is too easy to take out of the game but in the next sentence said we needed a Sykora type.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Stopped reading when Neal was called a sniper that is too easy to take out of the game but in the next sentence said we needed a Sykora type.

Ok, Sykora was just an example of a more two way players the year we made the finals. Maybe not the best example but just simply making a point that was pretty obvious.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 pm

janissary782 wrote:-Letang, Maata/Pouliot, a first for Ryan Miller That's way too much to give up for a 32yr old who makes 6.25mil
-Buyout MAF (or trade I guess but he has no value) He has value just not here
-Resign Dupuis (preferably for a one year deal at that salary - if he wants term, he needs to give back dollars) He will want to retire here and is worth more
-Resign Iginla (only for this sort of crazy pay cut - if you want to chase a cup, let's chase it) ok, can't argue much
-Let Cooke and Kennedy walk eh I like #24 but ok
-Resign Bortuzzo

This roster also assumes we have a coach competent enough to set the lines.

FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($2.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($3.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
David Steckel ($1.000m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Jayson Megna ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Marc-Andre Fleury ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,884,167; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $723,333

I'm ok with Steckel signing and I like Manga too, however I just don't like Bortuzzo, not real sure why.

I've made other comments above but my major issue is you only have 22 players and 723,333 left in cap room
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:44 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Stopped reading when Neal was called a sniper that is too easy to take out of the game but in the next sentence said we needed a Sykora type.

Ok, Sykora was just an example of a more two way players the year we made the finals. Maybe not the best example but just simply making a point that was pretty obvious.

Sykora was in no way, shape, or form a 2 way player. Neal is the player you're talking about and he's signed at a great price for a 40 goal guy.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Why would you need to buyout Niskanen? If you can get something for Ben "freaken" Lovejoy, you can move Niskanen via trade.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby janissary782 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 pm

GeoTank wrote:
janissary782 wrote:-Letang, Maata/Pouliot, a first for Ryan Miller That's way too much to give up for a 32yr old who makes 6.25mil
-Buyout MAF (or trade I guess but he has no value) He has value just not here
-Resign Dupuis (preferably for a one year deal at that salary - if he wants term, he needs to give back dollars) He will want to retire here and is worth more
-Resign Iginla (only for this sort of crazy pay cut - if you want to chase a cup, let's chase it) ok, can't argue much
-Let Cooke and Kennedy walk eh I like #24 but ok
-Resign Bortuzzo

I'm ok with Steckel signing and I like Manga too, however I just don't like Bortuzzo, not real sure why.

I've made other comments above but my major issue is you only have 22 players and 723,333 left in cap room

If MAF has some value, you could maybe flip him somewhere to make up for value you'd lose in a Miller trade (because I do agree we would definitely lose that trade in a long view for the reasons mentioned, I just think we need to keep "going for it" because Crosby and Malkin doesn't just happen all the time). Dupuis is definitely worth more than 2 million on other teams, but I don't think he's worth more on this team. We aren't the team that can pay him if he wants to be paid. I like Cookie too, but I don't think all the extra stuff that come with him are worth it anymore. Borts is honestly a filler player. I entertained trying to make Harrington work (Hunter thinks he's ready, so why not go out on a limb) but he gets paid more and as you noticed, this is already against the cap because of Miller (which is why a Miller scenario is just not viable from the Pens recent history - they like to have a fair bit of space off that cap for the deadline it seems).
janissary782
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

Sykora was in no way, shape, or form a 2 way player. Neal is the player you're talking about and he's signed at a great price for a 40 goal guy.

Despite being a 40 goal scorer, Neal needs to be more than a perimeter player in the playoffs.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Ryan Miller is the same as MAF. Doesnt fill enough of the net to be consistent in today's NHL, and kind of a nut bar.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:51 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

Despite being a 40 goal scorer, Neal needs to be more than a perimeter player in the playoffs.

Like in the Sens series? He's a top 5 RW right now. What more do you want from the guy?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 pm

I have no beef with Neal. He was a victim of strategy and a tough defense. I thought he was pretty good at covering a lot of ice at both ends of the rink. He also didn't take any dumb penalties, which was refreshing.

He missed the net a ton, which sucks. But he doesn't really have a history of that.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins