Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Boogeyman wrote:I think Nashville is one of those towns where players with options typically don't end up. Letang has options too, because he either says he will sign or not.

Playing alongside Shea Weber for the rest of your career is not exactly what I would call a terrible option.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Boogeyman on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Ryan Suter left his BFF, who also tried to skip town (Weber). No way Letang goes there and signs.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Ryan Suter left his BFF, who also tried to skip town (Weber). No way Letang goes there and signs.

If they offer him a mega deal like 7/56 he will sign there.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:41 pm

npv708 wrote:I'm surprised the Predators haven't really been mentioned. They have miles of cap space, are willing to spend on defense, and have a need for offense more than most in the NHL.

What about something like:

Letang and rights to TK for Jonathan Blum, Austin Watson, and #4th overall in 2013.

Shame on me for not knowing anyone from the Nashville package! I need to bone up...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:47 pm

KG wrote:
npv708 wrote:I'm surprised the Predators haven't really been mentioned. They have miles of cap space, are willing to spend on defense, and have a need for offense more than most in the NHL.

Letang and rights to TK for Jonathan Blum, Austin Watson, and #4th overall in 2013.

Shame on me for not knowing anyone from the Nashville package! I need to bone up...

Blum is an interesting piece, definite potential, but a lot of questions. Watson was 1st round pick in 2010 for Predators and put up decent numbers in AHL last year.

The 4th overall pick is huge this year. With Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon as the most likely top 3 in some order, Barkov or Nichushkin could be available at 4, which would be amazing. I'm a huge Barkov fan more than Nichuskin, bhey're both centers, but definitely NHL-Ready in most people's opinions.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Boogeyman on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:Ryan Suter left his BFF, who also tried to skip town (Weber). No way Letang goes there and signs.

If they offer him a mega deal like 7/56 he will sign there.

Let's just be honest about it, the problem for Nashville is there a far more desirable destinations that will offer Letang as much money as he wants. History speaks for itself there, Nashville is typically not a place guys want to play or at the least live and spend their career. It's that simple. Suter jetted out at first opportunity, and Weber tried to sneak out. They rarely are able to lure big name free agents and that's pretty well documented throughout the years. They have cap space because they can't use it.

Probably shouldn't neglect to mention Hamhuis bailing either. Of course, Letang may be the biggest George Straight fan in the world, loves line dancing and hog tying. I don't know. I do know that Nashville has failed to retain a large number of significant talent they have drafted and they have made trades for significant players who left at first opportunity. The most notable thing they have ever had going there prior to Renne and Weber was an older Jason Arnott.

If Pittsburgh didn't have the first overall in 84', I'm sure we would be experiencing the same issues. Most organizations in what some would consider "less than desirable towns" just haven't had that luck.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:51 pm

KG wrote:

Yeah me too. Ill just assume npv mentioned quality players there. Lol.

But I'm liking the #4 pick.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Nashville is building for the future, I don't see that unless you get sure fire prospects from another team then move them in exchange for the 4th pick.

But that 4th pick would be Barkov or Nichushkin, your pick, both are grade A players.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 pm

no name wrote:Nashville is building for the future, I don't see that unless you get sure fire prospects from another team then move them in exchange for the 4th pick.

But that 4th pick would be Barkov or Nichushkin, your pick, both are grade A players.

Here's the concern out of Nashville though. Barkov and Nichushkin are future stars in the league, imo, and I think Barkov is a legitimate franchise player, but they've been down this road before and it has burned them in ways that they haven't even started to recover yet. Poile is still reeling over the Radulov situation. They expected him to more or less be the offensive face of the franchise. It won't be lost that both players are Russian (well Barkov is Finnish-Russian). My honest opinion is that Barkov will be the 2nd best player in this draft (after MacKinnon). There's actually been a lot of talk of Nashville trading down, possibly to 7/8 spot.

It would be stupid to pass on Barkov, but with Poile's drafting history, it would seem right in line.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Nashville's got the opportunity to draft the best player their franchise has ever seen. I really don't see them trading that away, especially since their need is so high on offense.

You say Nichuskin is center? He's listed everywhere as wing....
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:53 pm

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:58 pm

npv708 wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:I think Nashville is one of those towns where players with options typically don't end up. Letang has options too, because he either says he will sign or not.

Playing alongside Shea Weber for the rest of your career is not exactly what I would call a terrible option.

How much do you think he'd get there, considering Weber is getting $900k less than Sid?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pcm on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm

They've got him listed as RW here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9 ... ock-draft/

And pretty much everywhere else has him listed as LW or RW as well.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 am

no name wrote:Nashville is building for the future, I don't see that unless you get sure fire prospects from another team then move them in exchange for the 4th pick.

Over Drouin?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am

pens2005 wrote:

Over Drouin?

it will be MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin... then either of these two guys as 4 is what he is saying.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 am

pens2005 wrote:

Over Drouin?

That's assuming Drouin gets picked in the top 3 like everyone has been predicting (I think that's what no name was going for)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 am

Nashville just dumped a ton of money to Webber. Why would they dump another large contract on the blueline?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am

CERV96 wrote:Nashville just dumped a ton of money to Webber. Why would they dump another large contract on the blueline?

Because they have nowhere else to spend it?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:28 am

This does not keep folks from sending him to Montreal.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

MRandall25 wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Nashville just dumped a ton of money to Webber. Why would they dump another large contract on the blueline?

Nashville isn't a team that will spend to the cap. If they were, they would have signed Suter as well.

Nashville would never spend that extra cash on Letang.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 am

Bioshock wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Nashville isn't a team that will spend to the cap. If they were, they would have signed Suter as well.

Nashville's final offer to Suter was 13 years, $90 million.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

npv708 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Nashville's final offer to Suter was 13 years, $90 million.

Really? If that's true then i stand corrected. Maybe they weren't gonna sign Webber then if they had signed Suter.

Shows what i know.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 am

Do you think Letang would fetch us a top 5 pick in this draft if we were to shop him?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:51 am

opie22002 wrote:Do you think Letang would fetch us a top 5 pick in this draft if we were to shop him?

Based on the fact that we got the 8th overall in a package for Staal, I would say yes
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Do you think Letang would fetch us a top 5 pick in this draft if we were to shop him?

Based on the fact that we got the 8th overall in a package for Staal, I would say yes

I say no, the bottom 5 teams are all rebuilding for the future and a quick fix guy isn't going to reshape their franchise. Letang seems like the type of player a team in the hunt would want to push them over the edge. MTL, Vancouver SJ, Even Winnipeg might want a player like him to add to the talent they have. The bottom 5 teams got holes and need a future not a player for right now. Just my 2 cents. I hope I am wrong I would love to land any of the top 5 in the draft.

MTL bought out Karable last year on his contract... 4.5. Are they making room for Letang???

LOL I am just rumor mongering. I am guessing they bought him out cause he just plain stinks!!
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins