Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 pm

DelPen wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Letang is a function of the players in front of him. We all witnessed his offensive ability when Crosby and Malkin were both out. If Shero signs him for $7M, he is even more clueless than I thought.

At 5v5, and with Letang on the ice, the Penguins scored 3.79g/60. With him off the ice, they scored 2.91g/60. Explain how that fits in with your theory.

Not as well as the data for the guy that went 1G 7A over 29 games in '10-'11 after Crosby and Malkin went out.

it would be really hard for even paul coffey to score points during a 29 game period on any team where the top two centermen were out with injury.

But it should be easier when they ARE in, that's my point.

he led the season and playoffs in points.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Anybody else see the differnce in how the Letang contract talks are going versus Malkin and Kunitz? No numbers were leaked to the press on either the Kunitz and Malkin's offers until the deal was made. Letang's numbers and contract length are being leaked, much like Staal's offer was just before he was traded. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I believe Letang ends up like Staal being moved on draft day.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:10 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Let me step back and present my context for the entire Letang argument:
Crosby $8.7M
Malkin $8.7M (escalating to $9.5M)
Fleury $5M
James Neal $5M
Chris Kunitz $3.725M (escalating to $3.825M)
Paul Martin $5M

Thats 57.7% of next year's cap allocated to 6 players next year. The first two definitely aren't going anywhere. Fleury just got a vote of confidence, so I'll assume he isn't going anywhere. Neal is probably nearly untouchable. The ink is still wet on Kunitz contract, he's likely not going anywhere. Martin is the best bet of the group to move and I'd say that is unlikely given he was the only one last year (including Letang) who proved capable of handling the PP.

When your team is dealing with the cap, it's all about value. Is an "offensive defenseman" who hasn't proven himself capable of QBing a PP really providing value at $7M?

What is your context for a debate that signing Letang at $7M is worth moving the percentage of the cap allocated to 7 players up to 69%? Other than the fact that Bylsma doesn't trust any young players to find out if they can make it, I'm not sure what it is. His "upside"? A 35 game sample that may or may not be easily reproduced over the grind of an 82 game season?

Personally, I wouldn't mind keeping Letang if Shero moved Fleury. There's very few goaltenders that stand out. Fleury is middle of the pack amongst goaltenders and frankly the worst value on the team at his salary. But given the cap constraints the team faces, I don't see how fitting Letang in at $7M is the best route long-term. I'd have liked to have seen Despres get his feet wet with more responsibility this past season to mitigate some of the risk of not keeping Letang, but that didn't happen.

He's been the best defenseman on the team the past two seasons. Its not a 35-game sample. He's only 26, eats huge minutes, and plays all 3 facets of the game. His peer group is paid in the 6-7.5mm range, though he's the first to come to market in that group as a soon to be UFA.

The cap issues are obvious. But if you are willing to sign him for 6, then 7.25 is fine by me. Particularly because the unknown of replacing his skill set for this team is not worth the risk if an extra 1-1.5mm.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I really do think Letang is worth that money. Just not on a team with 2 centers getting paid tons of money. I would much rather have 2 d-men at 4M per year than 1 at 7 or 8 for this team.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

It is in the Penguins best interest long term to trade Letang. He's an overrated player. Not a bad player, but not worth 7 million plus.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Elliotte Friedman wrote this in his 30 for 30 column today:

19. After watching one of his mentors (David Poile) go through difficult dances with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, is Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero prepared to start the season with Kris Letang heading into unrestricted free agency? This is going to be an interesting one — and not just because of the money. According to one friend (and it’s not the guy I work with), Letang is upset, feeling someone in the organization is badmouthing him to the media. I can’t speak to that because no one’s said anything to me, but it shows how complex these things can get. Keeping cool will be critical for both sides.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 pm

meow wrote:Elliotte Friedman wrote this in his 30 for 30 column today:

19. After watching one of his mentors (David Poile) go through difficult dances with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, is Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero prepared to start the season with Kris Letang heading into unrestricted free agency? This is going to be an interesting one — and not just because of the money. According to one friend (and it’s not the guy I work with), Letang is upset, feeling someone in the organization is badmouthing him to the media. I can’t speak to that because no one’s said anything to me, but it shows how complex these things can get. Keeping cool will be critical for both sides.

I totally believe the part about Letang being mad because he feels the Pens are slighting him. That's right up his alley.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:47 pm

11 pages until this whole thing is resolved.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:57 pm

pens_CT wrote:Anybody else see the differnce in how the Letang contract talks are going versus Malkin and Kunitz? No numbers were leaked to the press on either the Kunitz and Malkin's offers until the deal was made. Letang's numbers and contract length are being leaked, much like Staal's offer was just before he was traded. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I believe Letang ends up like Staal being moved on draft day.

A friend of mine emailed me a tweet from someone he follows and that guy said the same thing. Staal and Hossa numbers were "leaked" by the Pens, then traded or let walk. I'm beginning to think it is an omen of a trade.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:17 pm

farnham16 wrote:

I totally believe the part about Letang being mad because he feels the Pens are slighting him. That's right up his alley.

When has Letang ever shown that would be like him before? He has always seemed like a quiet, fairly humble person.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:34 pm

skullman80 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

When has Letang ever shown that would be like him before? He has always seemed like a quiet, fairly humble person.

He loses control on the ice about as easy as any player in the NHL. Did you catch last year's Flyers series? All Philly had to do was chirp him and he flipped out. He's a hothead.

Kris Letang does not have thick skin.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby rosey6629 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Just daydreaming out loud (or with keystrokes I guess)...

Wonder about a three way deal with the Canucks that sees us get Luongo. Maybe the Oilers are the other team and they end up with MAF? Letang would be a Canuck.

Just throwing anything out there.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Want no part of Luongo.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm

WHy are you daydreaming about Luongo?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Boogeyman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm

farnham16 wrote:It is in the Penguins best interest long term to trade Letang. He's an overrated player. Not a bad player, but not worth 7 million plus.

This.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Boogeyman wrote:
farnham16 wrote:It is in the Penguins best interest long term to trade Letang. He's an overrated player. Not a bad player, but not worth 7 million plus.

This.

IMO, I don't see Letang as an "overrated player" as much as I see him being overvalued by the market. He is a guy who is worth around 5 or so million a year who is entering a market where he can probably get 7 million (if not more).
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Boogeyman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:18 pm

I do... He skates and handles the puck like a forward... Leaving people with these grandeur visions of Paul Coffey. That's where it ends, he's half the defenseman with half the vision and a terribly inaccurate shot.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Pitts wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Anybody else see the differnce in how the Letang contract talks are going versus Malkin and Kunitz? No numbers were leaked to the press on either the Kunitz and Malkin's offers until the deal was made. Letang's numbers and contract length are being leaked, much like Staal's offer was just before he was traded. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I believe Letang ends up like Staal being moved on draft day.

A friend of mine emailed me a tweet from someone he follows and that guy said the same thing. Staal and Hossa numbers were "leaked" by the Pens, then traded or let walk. I'm beginning to think it is an omen of a trade.

I said this same thing a few pages back. It is just like the Staal situation. This info being leaked is important to a team not looking like a bad guy when a popular player isn't resigned. It was suggested a a lot of pages back that pens management soured on letang, I have to agree if that is the case. His offence is great his defence is something else to be desired.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:37 pm

You lose Letang, you lose a future Norris trophy winner. Bottom line. Is that something
You can accept? If so, let him go
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:41 pm

MarioLives wrote:You lose Letang, you lose a future Norris trophy winner. Bottom line. Is that something

When that Norris candidate consistently flops in the playoffs and is demanding 8 mil a year I think it's a little easier to make that call.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm

When guys like Karlsson and Subban are the ones winning the Norris Trophies--I don't really care if we have one of those or not.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:01 pm

MarioLives wrote:You lose Letang, you lose a future Norris trophy winner. Bottom line. Is that something

With the NHL having a strict salary cap, its just not as simple as accepting to let go a player go. But the agreement of a Norris candidate doesn't even factor. Does this player at his salary give you the best chance at winning or fielding the best team to compete.

See a one trick pony defenceman doesn't mean all that much to me. Granted Martin can't do the things Letang can, but his overall game is close to what Letang brings to a team. I would rather have another Martin type paired with a Orpik type as our 2nd pair. Example would be (Fedor Tyutin paired with Rob Scuderi) maybe not the best example but it was off the top of my head.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penscup on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Letang is one of my favorites. It will be difficult to accept him leaving after watching his development over the past 6 seasons, but there is only so much money to go around. Max offer should be 6.25/year and anything more would be a big mistake by Shero. He obviously has some great attributes that allow him to command that kind of salary, but his deficiencies are obvious too and prevent him from deserving anything higher.

1. size (which he can do nothing about but limits his overall defensive abilities)
2. boneheaded mistakes (may be correctable and due more to Bylsma's system than anything else)
3. inability to run the PP and deliver quality shots from the point (something that I really thought he would develop by now and has not, nor do I see his shot improving much in the future either).

If Shero ends up signing him to a much higher deal I really do hope he proves me wrong but I think that money could be spent much more wisely to bring in two quality Dmen to replace Letang -- maybe not immediately but you never know who will be dealing at the trade deadline next year and it never hurts to allow space to be flexible enough to bring here whoever ends up on the market.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:09 pm

you know most people thought he was overpaid last contract. who the hell knows but for 8 years in the prime of his career i would give him more if it was without the no trade clause and less if he wants a no trade clause.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 pm

rosey6629 wrote:Just daydreaming out loud (or with keystrokes I guess)...

Wonder about a three way deal with the Canucks that sees us get Luongo. Maybe the Oilers are the other team and they end up with MAF? Letang would be a Canuck.

Just throwing anything out there.

so we lose Letang and MAF and get Luongo? Ha! wow that really sucks for us.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins