Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby no name on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Replacing the 25 minutes a night he plays would be tough and his presence on the power play is noticeable. But I wouldn't say he is irreplaceable.

Under Dan Bs system he is a Norris candidate. With the "join the offence at will" mentality that Dan preaches. He always has one puck mover and one stay at home guy in every pairing. If you change that with a more complete defenceman like Paul Martin your team defence would improve.

Letang for Fedor Tyutin he reminds me a Martin type.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Would put us in a hard place next year, but how does a Letang for Hedman/Malone make sense? (I'm not good at value trades and tampa isn't going to give us that top 3 pick, sorry).

Gets that Malone contract off of Tampa's books. Give us back a true power forward and a top 4 dman. Yeah Tampa would have to resign Letang and would probably only be a million in savings when all said and done.

They are probably going to buyout Vince you would think. Letang makes Stamkos that much more lethal.

Don't think Yzerman would do it nor do I think it makes us better, but at the cost of getting nothing for Letang....

Random thoughts...
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Beveridge wrote:Would put us in a hard place next year, but how does a Letang for Hedman/Malone make sense? (I'm not good at value trades and tampa isn't going to give us that top 3 pick, sorry).

Gets that Malone contract off of Tampa's books. Give us back a true power forward and a top 4 dman. Yeah Tampa would have to resign Letang and would probably only be a million in savings when all said and done.

They are probably going to buyout Vince you would think. Letang makes Stamkos that much more lethal.

Don't think Yzerman would do it nor do I think it makes us better, but at the cost of getting nothing for Letang....

Random thoughts...

There is no cap break in that deal Malone 4.5 and Hedman (4), 8.5 we can't that on in salary. If there was no cap I think you value is on the mark. But I kind of see this whole letang situation as a way to get our house in order since we still got a lot of roster spots to fill out. UFA to deal with.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Beveridge wrote:Would put us in a hard place next year, but how does a Letang for Hedman/Malone make sense? (I'm not good at value trades and tampa isn't going to give us that top 3 pick, sorry).

Random thoughts...

Anything with Tampa would start with Hedman and Purcell for me. Malone is very injury prone at this point in his career. Love Bugsy but Morrow could more than fill the role Malone would have for cheaper.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

Random thoughts...

Anything with Tampa would start with Hedman and Purcell for me. Malone is very injury prone at this point in his career. Love Bugsy but Morrow could more than fill the role Malone would have for cheaper.

Letang, Bennett for Hedman, Purcell, pick
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Please, no.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:28 pm

no name wrote:

Random thoughts...

There is no cap break in that deal Malone 4.5 and Hedman (4), 8.5 we can't that on in salary. If there was no cap I think you value is on the mark. But I kind of see this whole letang situation as a way to get our house in order since we still got a lot of roster spots to fill out. UFA to deal with.

Totally ignored the cap hit on our end for this year. Obviously my idea wouldn't work unless we sent something else.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Gaucho wrote:Please, no.

No what?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

No what?

Letang and Bennett for Hedman, Purcell, pick.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

No what?

Why not? Letang and Kunitz? Nah no one wants that.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bse on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

No what?

Why not? Letang and Kunitz? Nah no one wants that.

What's their cap situation? They won't trade Purcell anyhow.

Malone is 33 though, but his cap hit likely sucks compared to his vanishing production.

Hedman + pick is probably the only way this works.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:00 pm

bse wrote:
What's their cap situation? They won't trade Purcell anyhow.

Malone is 33 though, but his cap hit likely sucks compared to his vanishing production.

Hedman + pick is probably the only way this works.

You shut up, let me dream... Although think about it. Eric Johnson got a middling D prospect and a top 6 power forward soooooooooo it's not totally unrealistic to think a guy like Letang could fetch more.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Don't know if this was shared but it's an espn inside article (yeah I know, espn) from Craig Custance

Spoiler:
It started with comments Ray Shero made during his year-end press conference last spring. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford noticed that Shero mentioned he might not be able to keep all three of his centers -- Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal -- long term.

After hearing that, Rutherford called Shero to plant the seed.

"I called him and said, 'If you're not keeping Staal, let me know,'" Rutherford said during a Thursday phone conversation. Rutherford let some time pass, then placed one more call with a simple message: Don't forget about me.

In the meantime, the Hurricanes' front office broke down every possible possibility of who they'd be willing to give up if Staal hit the market. A lot of legwork was done, so that when Shero finally called Rutherford at 4 p.m. on the day of the draft, he was ready. A deal was struck.

On Thursday, Shero spoke with the media to talk about the Evgeni Malkin contract extension. General managers around the league were surely listening for clues from Shero as to how that deal affects the Penguins' ability to sign defenseman Kris Letang to a contract extension. Letang is entering the final season of his contract, which comes with a cap hit of $3.5 million. After next season, Crosby and Malkin will have cap hits totaling $18.2 million per season, and Shero has to decide whether he wants to commit big money to a third player in Letang.

As of Thursday afternoon, Letang's camp hadn't heard from Shero but anticipated that negotiations would get serious within the next week.

In his comments to the media on Thursday, Shero made it clear that his priority is to sign Letang, but he didn't completely rule out a trade. It's going to come down to negotiations and how much of a discount Letang is willing to provide Pittsburgh to stay with that group. If he hits the market, his ticket would be huge.

As a free agent, the starting point would be $7-8 million per season at max length. To stay in Pittsburgh, it may have to be an eight-year deal closer to $6.5 million. Letang understands that the best deal will come on the open market; it's just finding out how big the difference is going to be. Those are conversations the two sides still need to have. And executives around the league will be watching closely.

The feeling from those I spoke with on Thursday is that Letang will sign an extension with Pittsburgh. It's a similar situation to Staal in that the best move would be to trade him if there's not a deal to be struck, but it's different in that the Penguins don't have two other world-class defensemen already on the roster the way they did at center last year.

"He's just entering the prime of his career," one Western Conference executive said of Letang. "He's an impact defenseman who generates offense, plays on your power play and is a competitive guy. They're going to try to get something done. These are hard players to find."

He pointed to the success the Blackhawks are having right now as proof of the value of mobile defensemen. Chicago forwards like Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa receive a lot of the attention, but it starts with the transition game on the back end. You need defensemen who can skate and get the puck out of trouble quickly.

Letang wasn't great in this postseason and looked bad at times against the Bruins, but he still finished with 16 points in 15 games, averaging 27:37 of ice time in the postseason. Another executive said Letang's performance against the Bruins wouldn't scare off teams in the least if Shero decides to trade him.

"Not a chance," he said. "If they put him on the market, 29 teams would bid on him."

And the return would be huge, which is another reason the Penguins have to at least consider it if negotiations don't go well. This draft is as good as any in recent years. If Shero can find a way to get into the top portion by dealing Letang, he would land a player who can play immediately, while providing the Penguins the cap relief that comes with an entry-level deal.

The other factor to consider is that defense is the one area of depth in the Penguins' organizational reserve list. One of the most impressive things about Shero's trade-deadline shopping spree is that he landed big names without touching young defensemen like Derrick Pouliot, Simon Despres, Olli Maatta or Brian Dumoulin. Pouliot is the best of the group and projects as a potential replacement down the road if the Penguins trade Letang.

"I'm a huge Pouliot fan," one respected evaluator said. "He doesn't maybe have the bite that Letang has, but he's secure with the puck, mobile and can run a power play."

A deep prospect pool helps ease the pain of trading Letang, as does the thought of the package coming back. While 29 teams may be interested in Letang, not all of them have the assets the Penguins would require, but there are some possible fits. GM Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning currently sit in a great spot in the draft at No. 3 overall. The consensus is that the Lightning will take talented winger Jonathan Drouin, which would give them even more firepower up front on a team that already has Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis. A defenseman like Letang is certainly a more pressing need for the Lightning, who could build a package around that pick to try to entice the Penguins to trade their franchise defenseman. It wouldn't take long for Drouin to become a star in Pittsburgh.

The Oilers also have needs on defense and are shopping the No. 7 overall pick. They have young forwards who could be moved in a deal for Letang, although his skill set may be too similar to Justin Schultz's for a deal to make sense. Another interesting option is Anaheim, where the Ducks have winger Bobby Ryan, who would look awfully good playing on a wing with Crosby or Malkin. The Ducks also are rich in goaltending, with potentially two No. 1 goalies in Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth, and arguably the best goalie prospect around in John Gibson. For what it's worth, Gibson is a Pittsburgh native.

San Jose may not have the assets to acquire Letang, but GM Doug Wilson always seems to be in the mix when a star player hits the market, as does Rangers GM Glen Sather. The Rangers may not have the depth needed to trade for Letang, but certainly have a need for a defenseman who shoots right-handed and who can improve a power play.

The list goes on because there's not a team out there that can't use a player of Letang's caliber. Knowing what we learned with Jordan Staal last year at this time, this isn't a situation that will likely linger into next season.

"Ray is a smart guy," one NHL source said. "He won't let assets walk out the door."
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I like the prospect of Anaheim.

Something like:

Letang and rights to TK for Ryan, Gibson, and 1st.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Shero seems understandably lukewarm about a big contract for Letang. Letang is a "very good" defenseman an "those" are hard to find. That's not what you usually hear: "world class" "Norris caliber" "a huge part of our team."

I would not make a deal that significantly reduces the quality of our team. Letang is a huge trading asset but he's also a huge piece of a cup-contending team. We regularly trade a bunch of assets (namely picks) for incremental and temporary boosts to our cup team. We traded 4 picks (I think) including 1st and 2nds for nothin that will last beyond this year. The team to whom we trade Letang will lose him at the end of this year, technically too. The fact that they'd give a lot means he could help our team a lot.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bse on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:41 pm

npv708 wrote:I like the prospect of Anaheim.

Something like:

Ryan's cap hit is 5.1M, but he is not signed past 2014-2015. But really, I would make the deal - Letang will be UFA in a year, with Ryan you have an extra year, plus you could still trade him for a similar return. On top of that, Gibson and 1st would be nothing short of excellent.

Then again... our D wouldn't look that good afterwards, but that would have to be addressed separately by trading away other assets, such as Kunitz.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:53 pm

bse wrote:
npv708 wrote:I like the prospect of Anaheim.

Something like:

Ryan's cap hit is 5.1M, but he is not signed past 2014-2015. But really, I would make the deal - Letang will be UFA in a year, with Ryan you have an extra year, plus you could still trade him for a similar return. On top of that, Gibson and 1st would be nothing short of excellent.

Then again... our D wouldn't look that good afterwards, but that would have to be addressed separately by trading away other assets, such as Kunitz.

and most likely Fleury (at some point). I think that's a good return, and the only reason the Ducks bite because they know Ryan won't resign. Hm.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Jeesh, people want to pay another winger $5m so we can have a bazillion dollars on our top 2 lines, but wouldn't pay our #1 dman an extra $2m on top of that...

Step away from the keyboard.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf66 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Keep Letang for the season. If he walks, you are in essence trading him for 7 million in cap space.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 pm

topshelf66 wrote:Keep Letang for the season. If he walks, you are in essence trading him for 7 million in cap space.

That's just a terrible idea.

You HAVE to get compensated for him and having him for one more season is NOT enough compensation.

They need to trade him because there is no way we can afford his price tag.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:27 pm

pcm wrote:Jeesh, people want to pay another winger $5m so we can have a bazillion dollars on our top 2 lines, but wouldn't pay our #1 dman an extra $2m on top of that...

Step away from the keyboard.

We're already doing that by paying Malkin and Crosby so what's one more winger?

Lol
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Letang and Juicy for Ehrhoff and Ott!!!
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm

pens2005 wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:Keep Letang for the season. If he walks, you are in essence trading him for 7 million in cap space.

That's just a terrible idea.

You HAVE to get compensated for him and having him for one more season is NOT enough compensation.

They need to trade him because there is no way we can afford his price tag.

Why? People will trade a first a prospect and three seconds for Morrow, Iggy, and Morrow to play for two months. But forgoing those picks to keep Letang for an entire season is insane.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Letang and Juicy for Ehrhoff and Ott!!!

Take a look at how Ehrhoff's contract is structured and you'll realize that they'd be complete morons to trade him now. They signed him to a 10-year, $40 million deal, 18 million of which they paid him in the last two seasons.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm pretty sure nothing suggested in the last 17 pages will happen. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins