Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Letang and Fleury for Pekka Rinne and a 3rd.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Letang and Juicy for Ehrhoff and Ott!!!

Take a look at how Ehrhoff's contract is structured and you'll realize that they'd be complete morons to trade him now. They signed him to a 10-year, $40 million deal, 18 million of which they paid him in the last two seasons.

Nuh uh.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby opie22002 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Saw this on mynhltraderumors.com

"The Lightning could use a Letang and could offer the 3rd overall pick in a package. The Oilers need help on the blueline and have been offering up the 7th overall pick. Letang may be too similar to Justin Schultz’s skill set for a deal to make sense for them. The Ducks could be an interesting option with Bobby Ryan and potentially two number one goalies in Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth and top goalie prospect John Gibson. Gibson is from Pittsburgh. The Sharks may not have the assets to land Letang. The Rangers could use a right handed defenseman, but they may not have the depth to make a deal."
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 pm

opie22002 wrote:Saw this on mynhltraderumors.com

"The Lightning could use a Letang and could offer the 3rd overall pick in a package. The Oilers need help on the blueline and have been offering up the 7th overall pick. Letang may be too similar to Justin Schultz’s skill set for a deal to make sense for them. The Ducks could be an interesting option with Bobby Ryan and potentially two number one goalies in Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth and top goalie prospect John Gibson. Gibson is from Pittsburgh. The Sharks may not have the assets to land Letang. The Rangers could use a right handed defenseman, but they may not have the depth to make a deal."

That was taken almost word for word from Craig Custance column on espn insider. Maybe they gave him credit, I don't know.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:12 pm

opie22002 wrote:Saw this on mynhltraderumors.com

If you trade Letang, you need to get a d-man back as part of the package. I wouldn't want any d-man that TB might want to trade back, and the Pens aren't trading with the Rangers. Edmonton doesn't need a Letang-type of they have Schultz, and I agree that San Jose doesn't have the assets to send back.

I still like the Justin Faulk + the Canes #1 draft pick (5th overall) for Letang. You get a young defensemen who can help on the top 4 next year, and he is cheap. The 5th overall pick probably nets you a top six forward who might be able to contribute next year as well.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Any deal with the Sharks would start with Marc-Edouard Vlasic, I would assume.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:19 pm

If the Pens could get Picklestabber that would be awesome.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 pm

The no 3 pick is nice but unless Jones is there it doesn't work cause we need a ready defenseman back. No 3 and Hedman would be great but they would never pay that much
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby opie22002 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 pm

I like the Anaheim deal of a goalie and bobby Ryan. If we did that I wonder what it would take to get yandle? Maybe trade fleury + something?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 pm

opie22002 wrote:I like the Anaheim deal of a goalie and bobby Ryan. If we did that I wonder what it would take to get yandle? Maybe trade fleury + something?

Could you imagine the full in/out with roster if that happened?

Out: Letang, Rights to TK or Cooke or even Dupuis, Fleury, Picks
In: Ryan, Yandle, Fasth/Gibson, Picks

I'd do it.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm

You can't trade Letang for more offense. A d-man HAS to come back in the trade
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm

John Gibson :drools: I've seen him play in person half a dozen times or so. Kid has all the tools to be a top 5 NHL goalie. Big-frame, agile and top notch anticipation. He's a good "weatherman," meaning that his play is consistent and he can weather waves of attack and string big saves together. His vision through traffic is a bit behind the rest of his skills, at this stage in his development. With the new goaltending coach that will be brought on board, this would be the perfect time to bring a young guy and start the grooming process.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Crankshaft wrote:You can't trade Letang for more offense. A d-man HAS to come back in the trade

Maybe.
Are you making this trade for next year or the the next 5-7-9 years?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 pm

If I'm trading with Anaheim, it's Ryan, Sbisa and John Gibson + pick
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 pm

meow wrote:John Gibson :drools: I've seen him play in person half a dozen times or so. Kid has all the tools to be a top 5 NHL goalie. Big-frame, agile and top notch anticipation. He's a good "weatherman," meaning that his play is consistent and he can weather waves of attack and string big saves together. His vision through traffic is a bit behind the rest of his skills, at this stage in his development. With the new goaltending coach that will be brought on board, this would be the perfect time to bring a young guy and start the grooming process.

Yeah. Gibson is the class of the US Dev. System. He was unbelievably in Ufa. Posted pretty insane numbers during it and stood on his head when the team needed him to. At the same time, Fleury was same way until meltdown in WJC...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Crankshaft wrote:If I'm trading with Anaheim, it's Ryan, Sbisa and John Gibson + pick

I would take Ryan and Sbisa. Anaheim I doubt would offer both, and certainly wouldn't include Gibson and a pick.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Well here's the thing that's difficult to judge...

As far back as I looked, a Norris trophy finalist has not been traded the following offseason, so it makes it extremely difficult to judge value on a deal like this.

Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Dion Phaneuf, etc don't really compare with Letang as far as value is concerned. Its not even fair to compare Letang to Top-Six forwards, since there are so many more top-six forward in the league than there are #1 puck-moving defensemen.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 pm

I think I got to go with the TB deal with Hedman and their 3rd overall pick is the best I heard. That Drouin kid is said to be one hell of a player. Plus he is a LW which would be nice to have a high end prospect at the forward position.

All the other suggestions keep adding more and more salary which we need to keep it low until next season.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 pm

npv708 wrote:Well here's the thing that's difficult to judge...

As far back as I looked, a Norris trophy finalist has not been traded the following offseason, so it makes it extremely difficult to judge value on a deal like this.

Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Dion Phaneuf, etc don't really compare with Letang as far as value is concerned. Its not even fair to compare Letang to Top-Six forwards, since there are so many more top-six forward in the league than there are #1 puck-moving defensemen.

Add to the equation, how many teams have ~7 million in cap space to add a #1 PMD, and can return a reasonable defensemen to the Pens as part of the package for Letang ?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:36 pm

no name wrote:I think I got to go with the TB deal with Hedman and their 3rd overall pick is the best I heard. That Drouin kid is said to be one hell of a player. Plus he is a LW which would be nice to have a high end prospect at the forward position.

All the other suggestions keep adding more and more salary which we need to keep it low until next season.

Why would TB make that trade?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Ending up with Hedman and Drouin would be like a wet dream...except significantly better. There is no way Letang alone will net that return.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:15 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:Ending up with Hedman and Drouin would be like a wet dream...except significantly better. There is no way Letang alone will net that return.

Probably not, but you never know with Shero.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:Keep Letang for the season. If he walks, you are in essence trading him for 7 million in cap space.

That's just a terrible idea.

You HAVE to get compensated for him and having him for one more season is NOT enough compensation.

They need to trade him because there is no way we can afford his price tag.

Why? People will trade a first a prospect and three seconds for Morrow, Iggy, and Morrow to play for two months. But forgoing those picks to keep Letang for an entire season is insane.

Letang is more than a prospect and he's a zillion times better than a morrow, an Iginla, or a Murray.

You can't compare a rental to this situation.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 pm

npv708 wrote:Well here's the thing that's difficult to judge...

Yeah, the closest comparable I could think of was the Pronger trade to Anaheim--one of the best d-men in the league moved in his prime. Edmonton got Lupul (a solid, young top 6 forward), Smid (then a good d-man prospect), a 1st, a 2nd, and a conditional 1st.

Letang is not as good as Pronger in his prime, so maybe you take out the conditional 1st and 2nd. This leaves you with what a lot of people have been proposing--a solid top 6 winger/top 4 d-man, a good prospect, and a first.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby janissary782 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 pm

I like the concept of Hedman and Drouin for us, but I don't see why Tampa does it. Seems like they won't be good next year anyway until they know they have a goaltender, so why not just take the winger to replace St Louis? If you buyout Leclavier, you aren't looking to compete next year anyway, so Letang seems wasted.

Edmonton makes a lot of positional sense, but I don't see what they are giving us in return? Let's not forget they are about to have their cap-a-strophe with all those number ones, so in two years, Letang makes no sense if their guys pan out.

Letang, top 9 player for Ryan, Sbisa, pick is a pretty good trade for us overall and probably the realm I'd expect to get.

Since Feaster runs Calgary, I might explore that cupboard, but I'm pretty sure it's dry (I don't know much about their prospects tbh other than Baetschi, but forward so who cares).

I personally like the idea of something like Umberger, 15th overall, Tytin for Letang. That's probably not enough value for Letang though. I think Columbus overall is a decent trading partner though. They have some assets in the draft thanks to trades, they don't have a number 1 dman (sorry Wiskniewski doesn't count even if he's getting money for it), and they are on the upswing. It seems like a fit, but someone else with more insight can maybe shed some light.

EDIT: I also totally ignored salaries so that'd be a LOL trade to try to do regardless of value.
janissary782
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins