Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby SoCalPenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:30 am

Edmonton doesn't work because everyone and their Mom knows !etang won't sign there in a year so they won't give up big assets.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 am

Some new CBA items allow teams with negotiating rights to make better offers to their players. 8 years, vs 7 years, etc....
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 am

sil wrote:Some new CBA items allow teams with negotiating rights to make better offers to their players. 8 years, vs 7 years, etc....

We could get even a bigger return if we allow the other club contract negotiation rights before the trade. So they know they are getting the player for more than a year.

I am really starting to like the deal with TB as the best idea yet. Seems like the best return when not adding in to much salary. But with them losing VInny if they buy him out they will need a another scorer so they might want to draft Drouin.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 am

Tampa Bay isn't doing that trade, they can't afford to inflate salary on the blue line. I also can't see them buying out Lecavalier. His cap hit is higher than you'd prefer, but its Roberto Luongo overpayment, not Ilya Bryzgalov overpayment.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:34 am

I don't think there's any way that Tampa does Hedman/#3 for Letang. But I think we all agree those would be two awesome pieces to get.

But perhaps if Shero added something, it could be done. If so, what might you be willing to add? D prospect? Sutter? Bennett?
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:38 am

Tampa can't add to the cap. I don't see how a trade between these two teams can work.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Tampa can't add to the cap. I don't see how a trade between these two teams can work.

Rumor has them buying out Vinny. Definitely a long shot but just for fun what would you add?
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joopen on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am

Pens15 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Tampa can't add to the cap. I don't see how a trade between these two teams can work.

Rumor has them buying out Vinny. Definitely a long shot but just for fun what would you add?

Without a Cap, sure would.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am

Pens15 wrote:I don't think there's any way that Tampa does Hedman/#3 for Letang. But I think we all agree those would be two awesome pieces to get.

But perhaps if Shero added something, it could be done. If so, what might you be willing to add? D prospect? Sutter? Bennett?

I would think if you added Harrington it might get this deal done.

Tampa can't add to the cap. I don't see how a trade between these two teams can work.

Agreed, :( after looking at their cap issues they are not an ideal partner to trade with. If they would buy out Vinny they still couldn't sign Tanger for no more than 6 million and they still have a few roster spots to fill.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am

no name wrote:
Pens15 wrote:I don't think there's any way that Tampa does Hedman/#3 for Letang. But I think we all agree those would be two awesome pieces to get.

Agreed, :( after looking at their cap issues they are not an ideal partner to trade with. If they would buy out Vinny they still couldn't sign Tanger for no more than 6 million and they still have a few roster spots to fill.

Why would we trade quite possibly our best defensive prospect?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 am

I think if you trade Letang, you have to look at the Western Conference. I wouldn't even consider trading him to an Eastern team, unless it was a hopeless franchise like Florida.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am

joopen wrote:
no name wrote:

For Hedman/#3? That would be a pretty sweet haul. Have to at least think about it.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 am

Pens15 wrote:

They might do a buyout the last few years of his contract when the total value over the last 3 years is like $6 million, but they aren't using a compliance buyout on him. Given that, the Penguins don't have anything to offer them because Letang is going to be tough to add. If a buyout were done, Letang could make sense, because the Lightning's need for a puck mover has been apparent since Boyle left. If they were going to add Letang, I think it would make more sense to buyout Brewer after this upcoming season when Salo also comes off the books. Then they have Letang at lets say $8, Carle at $5.5, Ohlund at $3.6 and Sustr probably re-signed at that point, maybe in the top 4.. Aulie probably is one of the 5-7 guys but those top 4 hopefully eat a ton of minutes. I don't know much about him.

Either way, they have a lot committed to a few D already, I just really don't see Letang as an option. Certainly not if they lose Lecavalier to do so. He's still a very strong #2 center. Nothing wrong with spending $15 million on your top 2 centers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 am

I almost feel like some of the trade options that have been thrown make it seem like why have one guy for 5 or 5.5M when Tanger could possibly be had for 1M more. Like Hedman or Meyers for example... If Tanger could be kept for a cap hit if 6M I do it. Heck Karlsson's hit isn't that high and he has a Norris.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

Pens15 wrote:
joopen wrote:
no name wrote:

For Hedman/#3? That would be a pretty sweet haul. Have to at least think about it.

The reason we can consider even trading Letang is because of our d-prospect riches. Adding Hedman won't create cap relief so you need your guys on cheap contracts to do that. Harrington by all accounts seems to be a darn good almost ready NHL caliber d-man. We will need the likes of him in the coming years.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I almost feel like some of the trade options that have been thrown make it seem like why have one guy for 5 or 5.5M when Tanger could possibly be had for 1M more. Like Hedman or Meyers for example... If Tanger could be kept for a cap hit if 6M I do it. Heck Karlsson's hit isn't that high and he has a Norris.

Karlsson's is 6.5
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:41 am

Swapping Hedman for Letang would 100% create cap relief. Yeah in year one, Letang would make $500,000 less...but in 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17 Hedman will probably be making about $3,500,000 - $4,000,000 less than Letang.

To put it simply...Victor Hedman is signed for 4 more years at $4,000,000 per year. It's an absolutely fantastic contract right now for him...and it's also one of several reasons why Yzerman isn't stupid enough to deal him and the #3 overall for Letang.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 am

joopen wrote:
Pens15 wrote:
joopen wrote:
no name wrote:

The reason we can consider even trading Letang is because of our d-prospect riches. Adding Hedman won't create cap relief so you need your guys on cheap contracts to do that. Harrington by all accounts seems to be a darn good almost ready NHL caliber d-man. We will need the likes of him in the coming years.

I actually think Hedman's $4M hit through 2017 fits great into our situation. It would barely dent the cap for next year and be a big help after that to have a top minutes eater at $4M instead of the $7-8M that Letang would be at. Guys like Harrington, Despres, and the others will step in for Martin and Orpik as they come off the books.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am

sil wrote:Swapping Hedman for Letang would 100% create cap relief. Yeah in year one, Letang would make $500,000 less...but in 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17 Hedman will probably be making about $3,500,000 - $4,000,000 less than Letang.

To put it simply...Victor Hedman is signed for 4 more years at $4,000,000 per year. It's an absolutely fantastic contract right now for him...and it's also one of several reasons why Yzerman isn't stupid enough to deal him and the #3 overall for Letang.

Agreed, and I'm sure the whole convo is merely academic. I thought maybe just maybe if Shero added a piece it could be plausible.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 am

Pens15 wrote:
sil wrote:Swapping Hedman for Letang would 100% create cap relief. Yeah in year one, Letang would make $500,000 less...but in 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17 Hedman will probably be making about $3,500,000 - $4,000,000 less than Letang.

Agreed, and I'm sure the whole convo is merely academic. I thought maybe just maybe if Shero added a piece it could be plausible.

I think we lost that piece in Joe Morrow.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:49 am

Letang to Columbus for Bobrovsky, do it Shero.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:54 am

Getting To My Game wrote:Letang to Columbus for Bobrovsky, do it Shero.

If we did that...and then won a cup with Bob in net...we could all do this to Philly...

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 am

the pens have offensive D men coming up; they don't have a wing to stand in front of the net and they don't have the "clear the crease D person". IF, IF, Ray Shero cannot sign Letang, you use to get talent you don't have on the roster.

When is the NHL draft ?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm

sil wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:Letang to Columbus for Bobrovsky, do it Shero.

If we did that...and then won a cup with Bob in net...we could all do this to Philly...

:lol: :lol:

Oh man, how absolutely incredible would that be?
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm

If Tampa hadn't just signed Carle, they might be interested in a #1 D in Letang. But their salary structure on defense is not setup for a player like Letang. Just like having Martin and Letang doesn't work for us long term. (But we can make it work for 1 year until Martin's contract expires...)
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins