Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
11
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
12
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
0
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
202
83%
Shut up NAN
18
7%
 
Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

How about shipping him to the Oilers for Yakupov? Thoughts?
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:71 is definitely getting more than 7.5/per, and it will probably be 9.25-9.5.


He'll take 8.7 for 8 years.

That'd be fine with me, but most everyone in the org seems to expect that he'll be paid more per year than Crosby as a result of the new CBA and its limitations compared to the prior version. Shero/Crosby feel that way, but I sure hope they are wrong and he takes 8.7 again.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,268
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Beveridge wrote:How does the 8th year work?

As in do we have to trade Letang before this season for that team to be eligible for that 8th year or could we trade his rights on June 30 next year and that team could include the 8th year? I can't find anything specific so I'm assuming that whatever team holds his rights the day he would hit free agency is the team that can offer that 8th year.

Was curious on how much incentive there is in regards to that or if there is none.


We would have to sign him for the 8th year. If we traded his rights, that team could only sign him for 7.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,616
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:56 pm

If you get rid of Malkin, James Neal is useless. I can't see Malkin going anywhere. Additionally, Staal would probably still be here if there was ever any long term intention to trade Malkin.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:57 pm

I doubt James Neal would be worthless playing with Sid (when he isn't injured for half the season).
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,751
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Beveridge wrote:I doubt James Neal would be worthless playing with Sid (when he isn't injured for half the season).


Neal would never play with Sid if Dupuis' here.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,367
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby BleuLineLady on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Colorado might be the perfect trading partner for Letang. If they could work it to get Erik Johnson and the 1st, that would be spectacular. Colorado needs a puck mover.


Not sure Erik Johnson would need to come back in the trade for the Pens. 1st + somebody like Steve Downie would be sufficient. Pens would take Seth Jones as the first overall and replace the grit they will letting go with Cooke moving on.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 am

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I highly doubt Colorado is gonna move the 1st overall pick.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,355
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:03 pm

They tried Neal with Sid this season.... Zero chemistry. Two different wave lengths.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Boogeyman wrote:If you get rid of Malkin, James Neal is useless. I can't see Malkin going anywhere. Additionally, Staal would probably still be here if there was ever any long term intention to trade Malkin.



He was a 20+ goal scorer for multiple years in Dallas, so not worthless. Worth $5 million a year though, probably not.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:04 pm

If for some reason the Pens got COL's first and Johnson, you ahve to draft Jones at that point.
Orpik Martin
Johnson Jones

America, **** yeah!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,255
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Boogeyman wrote:They tried Neal with Sid this season.


i don't think this is true at all. at least not for more than a few odd shifts
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,843
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:They tried Neal with Sid this season.


i don't think this is true at all. at least not for more than a few odd shifts


They tried Neal with Crosby the same way they tried Staal with Malkin after 07. Which is to say they sometimes had their shifts overlap.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,255
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:If you get rid of Malkin, James Neal is useless. I can't see Malkin going anywhere. Additionally, Staal would probably still be here if there was ever any long term intention to trade Malkin.



He was a 20+ goal scorer for multiple years in Dallas, so not worthless. Worth $5 million a year though, probably not.


I probably should have worded that better. I mean that Malkin does a lot for Neal. While the opposition is busy chasing Malkin around in their zone, Neal finds a sweet spot. I don't think it's too far off to say he's not nearly the same player when Malkin is not present.
Last edited by Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 pm

His propensity for disappearing is a bit troubling.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,429
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:09 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:71 is definitely getting more than 7.5/per, and it will probably be 9.25-9.5.


He'll take 8.7 for 8 years.

That'd be fine with me, but most everyone in the org seems to expect that he'll be paid more per year than Crosby as a result of the new CBA and its limitations compared to the prior version. Shero/Crosby feel that way, but I sure hope they are wrong and he takes 8.7 again.


Probably because Sid makes more (way way more) than $8.7 million per year.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,109
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Boogeyman wrote:
Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:If you get rid of Malkin, James Neal is useless. I can't see Malkin going anywhere. Additionally, Staal would probably still be here if there was ever any long term intention to trade Malkin.



He was a 20+ goal scorer for multiple years in Dallas, so not worthless. Worth $5 million a year though, probably not.


I probably should have worded that better. I mean that Malkin does a lot for Neal. While the opposition is busy chasing Malkin around in their zone, Neal finds a sweet spot. I don't think it's too far off to say he's not nearly the same player when Malkin is not present.


Agreed.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Scuderi is a free agent this year. Not sure there's a point in mentioning that but oh well.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby supermario on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Not sure I would support trading Letang but if shero can get Neal and nisky for goligoski, I wonder what Letang would fetch for a return?
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:53 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby owtahear on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Colorado might be the perfect trading partner for Letang. If they could work it to get Erik Johnson and the 1st, that would be spectacular. Colorado needs a puck mover.


I'd rather take their 1st and Matt Duchesne.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Pitts on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Letang for Subban. Do it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,713
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:30 pm

owtahear wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Colorado might be the perfect trading partner for Letang. If they could work it to get Erik Johnson and the 1st, that would be spectacular. Colorado needs a puck mover.


I'd rather take their 1st and Matt Duchesne.

It'll never happen but I'd weep openly if I saw Duchesne in a Pens uniform. Good tears.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,239
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Trade him.

F U slappy.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm

newarenanow wrote:Trade him.

F U slappy.

:fist:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,268
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Pitts wrote:Letang for Subban. Do it.


This > everything else. However, they will simply run into the same issue financial issue with Subban.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: offsides, vbqt and 18 guests


e-mail