Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 pm

pcm wrote:Where is this thinking coming from that there's room on this team for another $5m+ winger, but not a $7m #1 dman?

Because 7 million (or more like 8 million realistically) is more than 5 million?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 am

brwi wrote:
Wjsan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Well, Mark Streit getting over $5mil a year from the Flyers, another 35 and older player to boot, tells me Letang is all but gone. He should be asking for 8-10mil a season based on what these other players are getting.

Unbelieveable, guess not even a hometown discount will save us here. I hope Duper doesn't have the same agent as Streit!

:roll:

They don't. Pat Brisson is Streit's agent and Allan Walsh is Dupuis'. Walsh has a rep as tough but fair to deal with and is well-respected by GM's. Still, it becomes a matter of how much discount will Dupuis take and how much will RS give and can they meet somewhere close to the middle? I kind of think no myself and that Dupuis banks the big bucks and at a longer term than RS is comfortable with.

Everything I've read about Dupuis leads me to believe he values stability and family over the money. Also, everything I read about the Pens (Mario, Shero, etc.) tells me they value Dupuis very highly. I really don't think re-signing him will be an issue. A "fair offer in the $3-$3.5 mil range should do it. I think if Dupuis accepts that amount, Shero will have no problem going 4 years for his service. He is the rock that holds the locker room together.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:18 am

I think Duper & Iginla will stay at 3.5 mm per year, Iginla 2 years, Duper 4.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bse on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:57 am

SoCalPenguin wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Well, Mark Streit getting over $5mil a year from the Flyers, another 35 and older player to boot, tells me Letang is all but gone. He should be asking for 8-10mil a season based on what these other players are getting.

Yep the market is getting completely out of control. For as much as I love Sarge, I was shocked Dallas gave him 5m when he is on his last legs. Letang will be able to command 8 in this market....so were done. Get on the phone and make a deal.

Dallas had to give him that much just to meet the cap floor. For them, it makes a lot of sense. If they need to create more cap space in the future, they will just buy-out the last year.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:28 am

With Streit earning as much per year as he got with Philly, there's zero chance I think that Letang will be retained.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:09 pm

pens2005 wrote:
pcm wrote:Where is this thinking coming from that there's room on this team for another $5m+ winger, but not a $7m #1 dman?

Because 7 million (or more like 8 million realistically) is more than 5 million?

So in your world, if $6m were an acceptable number for Letang, that would mean that you're advocating we take $5m of that and invest it in another winger to play with our $9m centers... We would then replace Letang on defense with a $1m dollar player right? That would be like a country spending a huge percentage of their budget on military, while letting their education system go down the toilet. :face:

The team is going to spend @ $20m on defense, if it's going to field a championship hopeful team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:With Streit earning as much per year as he got with Philly, there's zero chance I think that Letang will be retained.

It's sad that such an absurd contract will set the market, but yeah, you're right, if Streit is getting those kind of dollars, Letang would be justified to ask for a majority share of the franchise. Thanks, Philly.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm

similar things were said about the getzlaf and perry deals influencing malkin's price, which ended up not really mattering.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm

shmenguin wrote:similar things were said about the getzlaf and perry deals influencing malkin's price, which ended up not really mattering.

Alternatively, I'm looking at it from the trade perspective. Teams are most certainly willing to overpay if the price is set by a terrible contract, and a weaker d-man market.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

pens2005 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:Keep Letang for the season. If he walks, you are in essence trading him for 7 million in cap space.

That's just a terrible idea.

You HAVE to get compensated for him and having him for one more season is NOT enough compensation.

They need to trade him because there is no way we can afford his price tag.

Why? People will trade a first a prospect and three seconds for Morrow, Iggy, and Morrow to play for two months. But forgoing those picks to keep Letang for an entire season is insane.

Letang is more than a prospect and he's a zillion times better than a morrow, an Iginla, or a Murray.

You can't compare a rental to this situation.

You didn't read the post.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes I did. You can't compare re-signing letang to renting players. It's comparing apples ad oranges.

You can't afford letang, period.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Here are some defensemen salaries around the league.
We already discussed Streit at $5.25.
Dan Boyle $6.7 Million
Alex Edler $5 Million
Kevin Bieksa $4.6 Million
Jason Garrison $4.6 Million (what the hell are the Canucks doing?)
Matt Carle $5.5 Million
Andrei Markov $5.75 Million
Mike Green $6 Million
Ryan Suter $7.5 Million
Tobias Enstrom $5.75 Million
Kimmo Timmonen $6 Million

Letang's price is STARTING at $7 Million......like will get $7.5 to $8 Million
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:With Streit earning as much per year as he got with Philly, there's zero chance I think that Letang will be retained.

Philly was paying for an asset to address a weakness, a PP QB, which Letang is not. Also, Philly had no previous ties with him and Streit could have just as easily waited until July 5th. Philly had to overpay to entice Streit. Letang was drafted by the Pens and basically developed here, has friends, etc. I say Letang signs for 8 years, $52 mil (6.5 mil/yr).
Last edited by Steve Dave on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Steve Dave wrote:

Philly was paying for a PP QB, which Letang is not. Also, Philly had no previous ties with him amd Streit could have just as easily waited until July 5th. Letang was drafted by the Pens and basically developed here, has friends, etc. I say Letang signs for 8 years, $52 mil (6.5 mil/yr).

Good bye Neal. That's a good hit for his contract though. Karlsson's exact cap hit to... Maybe cap goes up after next year and his raise doesn't hurt nearly as bad.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf66 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm

8 years 58 million. Do it !
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Would be completely shocked to see Letang sign for less than 7 million.

He will more than likely command 8-9 million per season. Read Mike Colligan's article about it to put it in the proper perspective.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Bioshock wrote:Would be completely shocked to see Letang sign for less than 7 million.

He will more than likely command 8-9 million per season. Read Mike Colligan's article about it to put it in the proper perspective.

Prope perspective would be Norris winner Karlsson's contract.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:50 pm

That was Karlsson's second contract (this will be Letang's 3rd). Also, half of the years in Karlsson's were RFA years. Letang's will be all UFA years obviously. So they're not really comparable.

A better comparison would be Ryan Suter, all UFA years, and the only reason the cap hit is -only- 7.5 per is due to the length. He'll make an average of 10 mil. a year over the next 8 years, the current max contract length.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Would be completely shocked to see Letang sign for less than 7 million.

Prope perspective would be Norris winner Karlsson's contract.

Yes and no. Letang's agent could and should make the argument that Karlsson's contract is the starting point for Letang's new deal.

Letang will be 27 when his current contract ends next year
Karlsson will be 28 (or 29) when his current contract ends in 2019

Karlsson's ceiling isn't 6.5. His contract he is under is a compromise of money and RFA years. His deal takes him to a UFA instead of dealing with RFA and at the same time, Ottawa probably saved themselves some $$ over the duration of the contract while giving up RFA control.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I am not even sure i want Letang on this team. Ok he is a great talent but under Dans system with our group of talented forwards, we need 2 way defencemen who cover both ends of the ice. Find me another Paul Martin and i would be happy.

You know what, just give me a coach that will put Letang on the proper leash and teach him how to play defensively and then i am ok with him staying. I don't see him worth any more than 7 million a season, I am terrible with cap numbers so its up to Shero to determin if we can afford that or not.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:22 pm

owtahear wrote:Here are some defensemen salaries around the league.
We already discussed Streit at $5.25.
Dan Boyle $6.7 Million
Alex Edler $5 Million
Kevin Bieksa $4.6 Million
Jason Garrison $4.6 Million (what the hell are the Canucks doing?)
Matt Carle $5.5 Million
Andrei Markov $5.75 Million
Mike Green $6 Million
Ryan Suter $7.5 Million
Tobias Enstrom $5.75 Million
Kimmo Timmonen $6 Million

Letang's price is STARTING at $7 Million......like will get $7.5 to $8 Million

You basically have to trade Letang. He is at his peak of value and potential trade return value. He doesn't QB the PP well, he turns over the puck and he's not defensively responsible enough to make that much $$$$$
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Karlsson's contract is his second. Letang will be starting his 3rd. A better comparrison would be Shea Weber's contract.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 pm

sil wrote:Karlsson's contract is his second. Letang will be starting his 3rd. A better comparrison would be Shea Weber's contract.

Letang = Weber? I just don't see it. You're talking the best d-man in the game IMO.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Great situation to be in right here. You can't lose.

You sign Letang and you're happy.

You trade Letang and your return should be a kings ransom. The team as a whole probably improves. You should be happy.

What we got for Staal should look like peanuts compared to what you get for a Letang. Let his agent work on contract/extension details with potential trading partners around the league and find a taker.

If we sign him for 6 or 7 years I'll be OK with that but at the same time is he really worth what he is potentially demanding? He should get $7.5 mil because he is a good skater and a good passer? Is that it? What else does he do at an elite level that makes him more valuable than Subban, Suter, Weber, etc? He cant QB the PP at an elite $8 million dollar level, he has a sub par shot from the point, he isn't a physical, punishing, or defensive monster like an old-school Pronger or Blake. So what are you paying him top dollar for?

If he leaves and we bring in a prospect/pick AND 2 or 3 NHL-ready players I'll have no problem letting him go. If Goligoski nets you Neal + Niskanen......Whitney gets you Kunitz and Tangradi......then Letang gets you 2 or 3 solid NHL players in return before you even get into the prospects and/or draft picks. The team needs help now, they need forwards and D now....getting a top tier pick in this draft or a prospect that my be a stud in 3 years isn't all that exciting to me. This isn't the type of trade where you are shopping Letang for other team's picks and prospects. This is a trade where you are shopping Letang and you whip out the other team's depth chart and start picking which LW/RWs and D you want to add to your team.

This one trade could fill the LW/RW holes in the organization in one fell swoop. Shero can't lose here unless he vastly overpays Letang.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 pm

There are a lot of people who think Letang is the best d man in the game. Or at least in the top 3.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins