Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby The U on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:03 pm

pens2005 wrote:There are a lot of people who think Letang is the best d man in the game. Or at least in the top 3.

Hopefully one of those people is a GM who is willing to give up a ton for him.

I like Letang. I dont "WANT" to trade him. But if he is going to command an ungodly amount of money from the team then you move him and pull off a trade that potentially sets you up for years to come by adding 3 or 4 pieces to the lineup in exchange for 1 defenseman.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm

The U wrote:Great situation to be in right here. You can't lose.

You sign Letang and you're happy.

You trade Letang and your return should be a kings ransom. The team as a whole probably improves. You should be happy.

What we got for Staal should look like peanuts compared to what you get for a Letang. Let his agent work on contract/extension details with potential trading partners around the league and find a taker.

If we sign him for 6 or 7 years I'll be OK with that but at the same time is he really worth what he is potentially demanding? He should get $7.5 mil because he is a good skater and a good passer? Is that it? What else does he do at an elite level that makes him more valuable than Subban, Suter, Weber, etc? He cant QB the PP at an elite $8 million dollar level, he has a sub par shot from the point, he isn't a physical, punishing, or defensive monster like an old-school Pronger or Blake. So what are you paying him top dollar for?

If he leaves and we bring in a prospect/pick AND 2 or 3 NHL-ready players I'll have no problem letting him go. If Goligoski nets you Neal + Niskanen......Whitney gets you Kunitz and Tangradi......then Letang gets you 2 or 3 solid NHL players in return before you even get into the prospects and/or draft picks. The team needs help now, they need forwards and D now....getting a top tier pick in this draft or a prospect that my be a stud in 3 years isn't all that exciting to me. This isn't the type of trade where you are shopping Letang for other team's picks and prospects. This is a trade where you are shopping Letang and you whip out the other team's depth chart and start picking which LW/RWs and D you want to add to your team.

This one trade could fill the LW/RW holes in the organization in one fell swoop. Shero can't lose here unless he vastly overpays Letang.

I disagree here. I don't think Letang is going to yield a "kings ransom" or believe that it will yield a return substantially better than the Staal trade.

I think some people may be upset with the return if/when it happens.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Slava Voynov: 6 years, 25 million

Yikes yet again.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Trade Letang to Tampa for Brett Connolly, Teddy Purcell, a prospect, and the number 3 overall pick and draft Drouin. Instantly remakes the team for the better.

Pens should not keep Letang.
Last edited by farnham16 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KBone on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm

pens2005 wrote:Slava Voynov: 6 years, 25 million

Yikes yet again.

Voynov is worth more than that IMO. That deal will be a bargain by the time it's up.

Here's a few ways the Penguins could keep Letang.

1 - Shero works his magic and gives him $6.75/8 years and a NTC
2 - A gentleman's agreement where they do a short term deal (say 3-4 years) that will allow the cap to go up and then later go for a bigger deal.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm

KBone wrote:

Yikes yet again.

Voynov is worth more than that IMO. That deal will be a bargain by the time it's up.

2 - A gentleman's agreement where they do a short term deal (say 3-4 years) that will allow the cap to go up and then later go for a bigger deal.

Um the cap only goes down next year to 64.3 million dollar (last year of the current deal), but by the time the 14-15 season rolls around the cap will probably be close to the 70 mill it is now based on revenues.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Yikes yet again.

That's not dis-similar to Letang's 2nd contract, but Voynov is giving up two years of UFA and is being compensated for that.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KBone on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 pm

darkstar57 wrote:
KBone wrote:

Yikes yet again.

Um the cap only goes down next year to 64.3 million dollar (last year of the current deal), but by the time the 14-15 season rolls around the cap will probably be close to the 70 mill it is now based on revenues.

Ok then, add number 3. Pay him his 7 million and go lean elsewhere for a few years.

Options, options, options. :)
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm

If the Pens are getting rid of Letang then I want Pieterangelo someway somehow
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

The U wrote:You trade Letang and your return should be a kings ransom. The team as a whole probably improves. You should be happy.

This is an absurd statement.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

The potential return for letang is exciting on some level, but the team will be worse without him. But I also have my doubts about us being able to win a cup with him being a nut case for 25 minutes a game. But i also love watching him play most of the time. But I also don't want 3 guys making 26 million. But he is an elite talent...and so forth.

Not an enviable decision for shero.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:01 pm

You rarely win trades when you lose the best player in the trade. You can rationalize trading him making the team immediately better, but I don't believe that to have a ton of history behind it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
sil wrote:Karlsson's contract is his second. Letang will be starting his 3rd. A better comparrison would be Shea Weber's contract.

Letang = Weber? I just don't see it. You're talking the best d-man in the game IMO.

Ok, fine. Fellow norris nominee Ryan Suter then.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm

canaan wrote:You rarely win trades when you lose the best player in the trade. You can rationalize trading him making the team immediately better, but I don't believe that to have a ton of history behind it.

Columbus Blue Jackets and Rick Nash.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
The U wrote:You trade Letang and your return should be a kings ransom. The team as a whole probably improves. You should be happy.

Which part, the king's ransom or probable improvement?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 pm

The Pens could absolutely be better as a team without Kris Letang. Letang is the first guy to meltdown whenever things get tough for the Pens. The team needs to rid themselves of that.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Soooooo expectations are top 6 forward, top 4 D-man, prospect/bottom 6 forward, #1 pick right?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Would be completely shocked to see Letang sign for less than 7 million.

He will more than likely command 8-9 million per season. Read Mike Colligan's article about it to put it in the proper perspective.

Prope perspective would be Norris winner Karlsson's contract.

Third contract, Bro.

I wouldn't go over 7 per season but that's just me. And i know Letang will walk with that offer. Time to deal, yo.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm

First pairing defenseman
Top notch wing on a reasonable contract
Elite Prospect
2 firsts....

....we can throw in Glass to even it out.

:)
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Which part, the king's ransom or probable improvement?

In the long run you can get a ransom for Letang. Young cap saving prospects who can blossom and keep the team competitive for years to come. But in the short term with limited cap space to play with its hard to make a dynamic Letang for player deal or even Letang for players. To get a quality player you are going to have to take on his salary. So in one way I think he is right, you might not improve your Stanley cup chances next season. But in the long run you can keep great players coming through the pipe lines keeping your roster filled with quality players.

What do you want? a cup next season or? or a better team for years to come? We still got a great team to chase the cup.

A tough call either way.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Soooooo expectations are top 6 forward, top 4 D-man, prospect/bottom 6 forward, #1 pick right?

Sounds like a boat load. Not sure we will get that much. But I am curious to see how this works out.

I'm sure Shero will try and sell Letang on a $6-$6.5Mill per long term deal. If it gets to $7 or above he will have to move him...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Given enough time to prepare Its not out of Sheros range to get a 3 team deal. If you can trade Letang for the right players even with high cap hits you then could trade those players to Coloraldo for the No. 1 overall pick. You then got you pick of Jones, Drouin or Mckinnon.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

Not really. The Staal trade made us worse. We knew and accepted that. Shero's hands were tied.

This is different. You have an elite defenseman that teams would kill to acquire. We want him but simply can't afford him. Coming to grips with moving him out of town is not being anti-Letang it's just simple math.

More than half the league has the cap space and desire to add a guy like Letang. Shero will have plenty of options. He will have no trouble trading Letang for 2 or 3 NHL players in return. (Pick or prospect would be icing on the cake and not the focal point of the return package)

Depending on who those players are, the team can absolutely better off in the short term and long run.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 pm

If the Ducks are listening to offers for Bobby Ryan and the Flyers are offering Coburn and 11th overall...Shero should investigate, assuming he knows what Letang wants in his next deal.

Letang and Kennedy for Ryan and Sbisa?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Could you imagine having Bobby Ryan, score an OT goal in the playoffs, against the Flyers? I can almost taste the tears.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins