Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Soooooo expectations are top 6 forward, top 4 D-man, prospect/bottom 6 forward, #1 pick right?

No way in hell we get that in return :pop:
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 pm

If it happens, it'll be similar to the Staal trade. Replacement player (probably a #3 D-man somewhere), prospect, and a pick. Possibly...possibly a throw-in roster player as well, given the team's situation.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Soooooo expectations are top 6 forward, top 4 D-man, prospect/bottom 6 forward, #1 pick right?

Tell me why. There's almost no precedence for someone of Letang's reputation with a year left on his contract to be traded.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 pm

npv708 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

Tell me why. There's almost no precedence for someone of Letang's reputation with a year left on his contract to be traded.

So you're gonna trade a top pair defenseman that you can't afford for another top pair defenseman who can't afford. I know the return won't be a player who makes 8 mil but when you couple that with a top 6 winger? Sounds to me that's more expensive.

Sounds smart.

Also, what team is going to give up the farm for one player? I just don't see it happening.
Last edited by pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 pm

A #4 defenseman is not the same as a top-5 #1 in the league.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Young, future top pairing defenseman (already in the league), established top-9 forward in mid 20s, 1st rounder, additional prospect
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Young, future top pairing defenseman (already in the league), established top-9 forward in mid 20s, 1st rounder, additional prospect

This sounds more like it to me.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 pm

npv708 wrote:A #4 defenseman is not the same as a top-5 #1 in the league.

I understand, but if also want a top 6 winger on top of that it sounds to pricey.

Also, I'm not sure there is a team wlkng to part with that for one player.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 pm

pens2005 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Young, future top pairing defenseman (already in the league), established top-9 forward in mid 20s, 1st rounder, additional prospect

This sounds more like it to me.

with the quality of that additional prospect depending on the quality of that top-9 F
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 pm

In my opinion, Letang is close to a lock to be traded. I really have a hard time seeing Shero offering him any more than 6/year, just based on how he's handled impending free agents in the past.

Shero is black and white when it comes to these types of offers. His first offer is generally the calculated best deal he can offer, with MAYBE the ability to swing on a few hundred K.

I'd expect him to offer 8 years, 45-48 million, and would hope to god he wouldn't go any higher than that. Somebody will offer 56-60, and Letang knows this. A trade is imminent.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:In my opinion, Letang is close to a lock to be traded. I really have a hard time seeing Shero offering him any more than 6/year, just based on how he's handled impending free agents in the past.

Shero is black and white when it comes to these types of offers. His first offer is generally the calculated best deal he can offer, with MAYBE the ability to swing on a few hundred K.

I'd expect him to offer 8 years, 45-48 million, and would hope to god he wouldn't go any higher than that. Somebody will offer 56-60, and Letang knows this. A trade is imminent.

Totally agree with everything you said here.

I see no way he stays unless he is willing to accept a similar deal you suggested above.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 pm

The potential to offer him 8 years over 6 only increases his trade value too, i.e. there's less risk of the acquiring team losing him after one season
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Let me clarify something, I'm not saying that we'll get that return, I just don't think its out of the realm of possibility. Also, the rights to a UFA would probably go back the other way.

The fact is, is that there is absolutely no other comparable transactions as far as trades go. Who are the best defenseman to have been traded in the last 9 years?

Luke Schenn, Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, J.Bo, Braydon Coburn?

Look at what Ryan Suter got on the open market and that was with question marks about his capabilities without Shea Weber. The rumors out there about what Philly was offering in a trade for Weber were beyond what's listed there for Letang.

2 top-six forwards (one developed, one prospect), one d-prospect, one bottom-six, 2 1sts.

Anything is possible.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 pm

To me, the prospect should be the future top pairing D-man. The return D should be a proven top-4 defender, and the pick should be high. Maybe someone will give up this top-D now (who is somehow cheap), and a future top-D, and a current top-forward (who also is somehow cheap), but I just don't see a team paying that price. As much as ESPN and Bob Errey try to say it, Letang isn't a top-5 in the league D. He's wonderful, and I want him here, but a top-5 in the league defender simply doesn't make the repetitive mistakes Kris makes defensively.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 pm

I'll be happy with a first, a second pairing young D and a prospect.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Letang is definitely NOT a top 5 defenseman in the NHL
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Letang is definitely NOT a top 5 defenseman in the NHL

According to Norris voting you're wrong.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Letang is definitely NOT a top 5 defenseman in the NHL

According to Norris voting you're wrong.

And according to common knowledge, the top criteria impacting Norris voting is points. Many of the media members with a vote only see players outside their own team when they are playing against their own team.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Are you considering P.K Subban the best defenseman in the league, based on Norris voting? He's probably not even top 20.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Food for thought, just adding to the discussion.

Top 8 Dmen in NHL: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661465
Chara vs. Letang matchup prior to Bruins series - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672643
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Are you considering P.K Subban the best defenseman in the league, based on Norris voting? He's probably not even top 20.

According to this season he's the best. That can't be argued or he wouldn't have that trophy. You guys act like Letang isn't one of the top d-men in the league. Especially when puck moving guys like him have been shown to be in insanely high demand. A middle of the road puck mover like Goligoski fetched a top 6 forward and an NHL ready d-man after all. The price for Letang is high and that price is deserved.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 pm

You don't get a top 6 F and a top 4 D for Letang. You will get one or the other along with a bottom 6 or bottom pairing guy, IMO. Regardless, top 6/top 4 guy that comes back won't make us the winners of the deal. Shero will have to win the deal in the prospects/picks and any "throw ins" like Niskanen (which would be the 2nd NHL guy mentioned above).

I could see the Oilers wanting in on this trade if there is one and being a good potential trade partner. They have needed a legit #1 guy and have the depth up front in talented young forwards to make an attractive offer. Problem is whether they can get him to commit to signing pre-trade so they don't have the risk on the back end.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Are you considering P.K Subban the best defenseman in the league, based on Norris voting? He's probably not even top 20.

According to this season he's the best. That can't be argued or he wouldn't have that trophy. You guys act like Letang isn't one of the top d-men in the league. Especially when puck moving guys like him have been shown to be in insanely high demand. A middle of the road puck mover like Goligoski fetched a top 6 forward and an NHL ready d-man after all. The price for Letang is high and that price is deserved.

I was unaware that Norris trophy voting results held that much merit around here (or anywhere)...

Apparently Ovechkin is the best F in the league, Subban is the best D, and Sergei friggin Bobrovsky is the best goaltender.

After all, they did win those highly accurate awards.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 pm

bhaw wrote:You don't get a top 6 F and a top 4 D for Letang. You will get one or the other along with a bottom 6 or bottom pairing guy, IMO. Regardless, top 6/top 4 guy that comes back won't make us the winners of the deal. Shero will have to win the deal in the prospects/picks and any "throw ins" like Niskanen (which would be the 2nd NHL guy mentioned above).

I could see the Oilers wanting in on this trade if there is one and being a good potential trade partner. They have needed a legit #1 guy and have the depth up front in talented young forwards to make an attractive offer. Problem is whether they can get him to commit to signing pre-trade so they don't have the risk on the back end.

Yeah I agree. The package is a top-6 F and a #5 D, or a top-9 F and a top-4 D. Plus picks and prospects.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 pm

What if, when meeting with Letang's agent this week, Shero finds out that Letang really really likes playing for the Pens and competing for the Stanley Cup and says he will be happy with a deal identical to Karlsson's?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins