Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Pitts wrote:What if, when meeting with Letang's agent this week, Shero finds out that Letang really really likes playing for the Pens and competing for the Stanley Cup and says he will be happy with a deal identical to Karlsson's?

Shero will then tell him he has to extend his current deal for 8 years and Letang will be like:

Spoiler:
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Elite defenseman in his prime. Letang is the best dman to hit the trade block in a long, long, long, time.

Many big names get moved when guys need a change of scenery or underperform. This isn't the case here. He's not damaged goods or overrated or old or a rental or underperforming. His best years are ahead of him.

Dont forget...whoever gets him has him for $3.5 mil in year one even before his extension kicks in. That's great value and allows a team to load up and add more pieces for this upcoming year.

Shero holds all the cards here and the return should be gigantic. Gigantic. As mentioned by others, a player like this hasn't hit the trade block in like a decade. This is uncharted territory.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 pm

The U wrote:Elite defenseman in his prime. Letang is the best dman to hit the trade block in a long, long, long, time.

Many big names get moved when guys need a change of scenery or underperform. This isn't the case here. He's not damaged goods or overrated or old or a rental or underperforming. His best years are ahead of him.

Dont forget...whoever gets him has him for $3.5 mil in year one even before his extension kicks in. That's great value and allows a team to load up and add more pieces for this upcoming year.

Shero holds all the cards here and the return should be gigantic. Gigantic. As mentioned by others, a player like this hasn't hit the trade block in like a decade. This is uncharted territory.

is there a way for the team he will get traded to to negotiate a contract extension before the trade is made? i don't believe that there is which will reduce what shero can get unless they trade him to the team letang chooses.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Colorado will not take Jones it was announced. Offer Letang to FLA for No. 2.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:Colorado will not take Jones it was announced. Offer Letang to FLA for No. 2.

None of the teams picking in the top five want to move out of the top five -- not even for Letang.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:Colorado will not take Jones it was announced. Offer Letang to FLA for No. 2.

how will any of the teams picking at the top of the draft sign letang long term, no way that is going to happen
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:18 am

Letang for Yakupov lets do it
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoCalPenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:26 am

knives of ice wrote:

how will any of the teams picking at the top of the draft sign letang long term, no way that is going to happen

Overpay to get some fan interest...butts in the seats. And FLA is way under the cap and will be the first year of his deal as well. I think if FLA offered him 7/60 (8.5)....he would take it even tho it's an undesirable club.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SoCalPenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 am

Rossi just came out with an article saying Shero won't go above 6 and so it's not going to happen and a trade is coming. He also says they wouldn't give Letang a full NMC either.

I know we like to kick Rossi around but this doesn't sound unrealistic at all. The market is out of control and both sides know it. Offering the 6 is right around what most here thought would be reasonable to pay without creating other problems (maybe a tad more). And if I were Kris, I would laugh at the 6 too. It is virtually certain he could get over 7 from someone in this market.
Last edited by SoCalPenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 am

Watch Letang go to another team, get better instruction, and turn into the super stud we wanted.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:08 am

knives of ice wrote:
The U wrote:Elite defenseman in his prime. Letang is the best dman to hit the trade block in a long, long, long, time.

is there a way for the team he will get traded to to negotiate a contract extension before the trade is made? i don't believe that there is which will reduce what shero can get unless they trade him to the team letang chooses.

Exactly, people are really underrating this aspect. Without an extension Letang essentially is a rental. He might be willing to sign with his new team, or maybe he's determined to hit free agency so he can hand-pick his own team rather than let Shero do it for him. It's for this very reason that we can probably rule out Edmonton as a trade partner.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 am

There are 29 other teams who would like to have Letang. However the list of teams who have the cap space to extend him, and are willing to give up the necessary resources is much smaller. Expect a good, not a great return for Letang.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:53 am

pens_CT wrote:There are 29 other teams who would like to have Letang. However the list of teams who have the cap space to extend him, and are willing to give up the necessary resources is much smaller. Expect a good, not a great return for Letang.

Agreed. I'm seeing a lot of proposals with multiple blue-chip pieces coming back. Realistically I'd expect one blue-chip piece plus some add-ons.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 am

pens_CT wrote:There are 29 other teams who would like to have Letang. However the list of teams who have the cap space to extend him, and are willing to give up the necessary resources is much smaller. Expect a good, not a great return for Letang.

I'm not suggesting the Penguins will get a king's ransom for Letang, but I'd be shocked if we weren't pretty happy with the return. No one knows what Shero is capable of, and people seem to sell him short quite frequently, despite some rather one-sided trades in favor of the Penguins during his tenure. Hossa, Iginla, Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis all were had in deals most fans would have called "Playstation trades." All of those acquisitions were mid-season moves, but the fact remains that Shero is a big-time trader -- the best in the NHL -- and the likelihood that he gets a solid, if not great, return for Letang is pretty high.

Many will call the Staal trade a loss. Of course it's a loss when you downgrade the best third line center (also considered a very good second line center) for a good third line center and get no other roster players. But, if Doumalin steps into the NHL next season and proves himself capable of regular minutes, the trade starts to look much better. Then, if Pouliot turns into the player he is showing capable of becoming (50-60 point Brian Campbell-esque blueliner), the trade looks even better -- and might even be a win for the Penguins, considering they also saved significant money under the cap for several years, allowing them to add other players to the mix. Long story short, when trading a star, it's tough to win the trade now. But in a few years, the tides easily can turn, especially if there are a few prospects/picks involved.

I suspect Shero will pry a young, top-six forward, a young top-four defenseman, and a first round pick for Letang. With the saved money, Shero will be able to retain some of his free agents and possibly pursue another defenseman, such as Yandle, to fill the void left by Letang.

Another thing to consider is a package deal where Shero includes Iginla in the trade to sweeten the return, even if ever so slightly. If Iginla is going to walk and a GM perceives his team to be close to contention, adding Letang and taking a run at signing Iginla would have to be pretty enticing -- enough so to give up some valuable youth.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 am

We are all acting like its certain that Letang is going to be dealt. But, if the cap dip for this year is artifical and temporary, and its jumping back up next season, it doesn't quite seem like a sure thing to me. We still have Letang locked in at a bargain rate this season, and his extension won't kick in till the cap starts climbing again. Under the last CBA, didnt the cap max coming out of the lockout end up as the salary floor within a few seasons? Is there something that is going to prevent that type of cap inflation from kicking in under the new deal? If not, the difference between signing Letang for $6M and $7.5M may not be as huge a chasm as some are making it out here.
I still think he will be traded, but I'm not seeing it as a definite need to move him situation. And as frustrating as some of his bone head plays are, he is still a net positive player for this team imho.
Also, big fan of moving Geno to make room for Letang getting ZERO votes in the poll. I guess Don Cherry isn't lurking somewhere on this board after all.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:48 am

Defence21 wrote:I suspect Shero will pry a young, top-six forward, a young top-four defenseman, and a first round pick for Letang. With the saved money, Shero will be able to retain some of his free agents and possibly pursue another defenseman, such as Yandle, to fill the void left by Letang.

A young top-6 and a young top-4 will probably be making the same or more than Letang, so I don't see much savings coming. Still, this is the kind of return I would hope for the most.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 am

sil wrote:
Defence21 wrote:I suspect Shero will pry a young, top-six forward, a young top-four defenseman, and a first round pick for Letang. With the saved money, Shero will be able to retain some of his free agents and possibly pursue another defenseman, such as Yandle, to fill the void left by Letang.

A young top-6 and a young top-4 will probably be making the same or more than Letang, so I don't see much savings coming. Still, this is the kind of return I would hope for the most.

Valid point.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 am

sil wrote:

The savings is that cap hit is spread across two players, instead of lumped into one.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 am

Crankshaft wrote:
sil wrote:

The savings is that cap hit is spread across two players, instead of lumped into one.

I can't believe you had to explain that.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby bhaw on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 am

Sarcastic wrote:Watch Letang go to another team, get better instruction, and turn into the super stud we wanted.

That's my only fear with this situation, and it's not that unlikely. It's ok though, people will still say DB is a great coach, he just has the wrong players.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am

Sarcastic wrote:Watch Letang go to another team, get better instruction, and turn into the super stud we wanted.

He is a stud at this point, and I bet with the right coaching he does get even better.

Kinda scary to think about.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 am

names mentioned from another site: Bobby Ryan, John Gibson , and Luca Sbisa from Anaheim? Not sure if they are saying all 3 for him or not but if so would you take this deal?
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 am

WHITEY1 wrote:names mentioned from another site: Bobby Ryan, John Gibson , and Luca Sbisa from Anaheim? Not sure if they are saying all 3 for him or not but if so would you take this deal?

Their draft pick sucks doesn't it?

I want a top 5 pick.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:33 am

WHITEY1 wrote:names mentioned from another site: Bobby Ryan, John Gibson , and Luca Sbisa from Anaheim? Not sure if they are saying all 3 for him or not but if so would you take this deal?

I said Letang and Kennedy for Ryan and Sbisa or something to that effect...Not sure how that helps our long term cap situation with Ryan making big bucks...but we will see soon enough.

Shero is meeting with Letangs agent today I believe so we will have clarity soon enough...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

bhaw wrote:

That's my only fear with this situation, and it's not that unlikely. It's ok though, people will still say DB is a great coach, he just has the wrong players.

We can sit here and ponder the what-ifs all day long, but the reality is, if Shero trades Letang, it won't be because of poor play. Instead, it will be because he is an elite talent whom the Penguins cannot afford with two other superior elite talents already signed long-term. He can leave Pittsburgh and become the best defenseman in the history of the sport, but it won't change the fact that he wasn't going to be kept.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins