Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:26 pm

skullman80 wrote:See I think there is no possible way that we if we trade Letang that we are better next year. Now the year's after that depending on the return that's up in the air. I really hate to lose an asset like him, but with the cap it's bound to happen at times.

I think this team takes a step back from last season whether Letang is on the team or not. Dupuis and Kunitz both had career seasons last year, so I wouldn't expect them to repeat it (assuming they re-sign Dupuis). Hopefully Malkin picks up his game, to replace some of the goals they lose by UFA defections. The third d-paring is weak, unless some younger player steps forward, and you have the questionable goalie situation. Those who want to retain Letang, w/o a long term extension should look closely at this roster before they declare it a Stanley Cup contender.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:28 pm

skullman80 wrote:See I think there is no possible way that we if we trade Letang that we are better next year. Now the year's after that depending on the return that's up in the air. I really hate to lose an asset like him, but with the cap it's bound to happen at times.

I just don't believe this for a second. It's possible we won't be better, but if you're trading for NHL ready players now and it's like a 2 players and 1 high pick for 1 kinda deal, I think it makes us instantly better if those players are good and the draft pick is an instant stud.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 pm

pens_CT wrote:

I think this team takes a step back from last season whether Letang is on the team or not. Dupuis and Kunitz both had career seasons last year, so I wouldn't expect them to repeat it (assuming they re-sign Dupuis). Hopefully Malkin picks up his game, to replace some of the goals they lose by UFA defections. The third d-paring is weak, unless some younger player steps forward, and you have the questionable goalie situation. Those who want to retain Letang, w/o a long term extension should look closely at this roster before they declare it a Stanley Cup contender.

A step back? Why? These young dmen are finally going to get a shot and have great promise.

I think Bennett is the absolute real deal.

I can easily see this team (with or without Letang) making it to the finals.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm

pens2005 wrote:

I just don't believe this for a second. It's possible we won't be better, but if you're trading for NHL ready players now and it's like a 2 players and 1 high pick for 1 kinda deal, I think it makes us instantly better if those players are good and the draft pick is an instant stud.

I guess I Just don't see the return being quite that high, but it would be nice.

I know people like to rag on Letang for his sometimes boneheaded plays on the PP and his pinching at inopportuine times, but really if you get rid of him, and you don't bring back someone who can at least someone backfill his minutes.... that's just not good.

That's where I think you have to hope to get a good return. As good as a Seth Jones may be, he's not going to be Kris Letang level his first year in the league.....
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 pm

pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

A step back? Why? These young dmen are finally going to get a shot and have great promise.

I'm not sure what young defensemen you expect to make an impact. Maybe Despres, but he has had issues in his own end since juniors, which is one of the reasons he fell to the Pens at the end of round 1. Dumoulin ,Harrington etc., until you see them in NHL action you can't count on them. There is potential in those players, I'm just not sure it comes together next year.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:02 pm

pens_CT wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I'm not sure what young defensemen you expect to make an impact. Maybe Despres, but he has had issues in his own end since juniors, which is one of the reasons he fell to the Pens at the end of round 1. Dumoulin ,Harrington etc., until you see them in NHL action you can't count on them. There is potential in those players, I'm just not sure it comes together next year.

Every player has issues when they first come in. Our glorious leader of a coach is trying to do a bang up job with his confidence.

Guys have to be given a chance. That's all there is to it. You gotta play them.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:03 pm

pens_CT wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

And one other thing...you trust engelland and niskanen to take us to the promised land?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:21 pm

pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

And one other thing...you trust engelland and niskanen to take us to the promised land?

No, but I do not believe the others are ready. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 pm

pens2005 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

i don't think so. biggest problem is still here and coaching.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Is there no way to offset Letang's 7.5 million with the promotion of Despres and Bortuzzo's and their lower salary? If they release Nisky and maybe one other player can that help fit Letang?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:34 am

If they are soo much on re-signing Letang,they should trade Orpik then.. But there is a must to sign Murray,if Brooks goes..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 am

Pens4Life wrote:If they are soo much on re-signing Letang,they should trade Orpik then.. But there is a must to sign Murray,if Brooks goes..

Thing is: his cap hit is minimal next year, so his extension wouldn't kick in until the year after that when the cap is higher.

Who knows, with orpik's salary and Martin's off the books we could probably afford his salary.

Not sure, but I still think he needs traded.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:40 pm

If you sign Tanger at $7 mil/ year, the 2014-15 cap hits stand at $41.1 million as of right now. For 7 players. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Trade MAF, trade Niskanen, don't re-sign TK....Use that money to sign Letang. Trading him should be the last option IMO. Unless you get bowled over with an offer...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Desiato on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't think the Penguins would have an issue making space to pay Letang. I believe the issue is that the Penguins don't think he's worth what his apparent market value is. By market value, I mean the highest price another desirable team is willing to pay.

In the cap-era, teams are weakened when any player is overpaid. It means a lower quality player elsewhere on the roster. A key to success is getting the best possible value from every slot in the roster. Players will inevitably get overpaid, but you can never do it intentionally.

Furthermore, when you have several players who have taken reduced pay to play for the Pens, it's bad for morale to let another guy cash-in at an inflated rate. I don't want to start the debate, but it is arguable Letang is not even the best defensman on the team.
Last edited by Desiato on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 pm

I am sorry but I think the pens need a major overhaul of the defence. No more of this puck mover and stay home guy. Defencemen should play defence first and not step out of their bounds. Even though Gonch was a bit old and slower he always seemed to make the effort to get back and try to get in position.

In 09 when Letang played a bigger roll in the playoffs he played under Therian the past few years and wasn't the defensive liability he is today.

Get me another Martin and Orpik type pairing and I don't see any change in our chances of making the playoffs.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:22 am

KG wrote:Trade MAF, trade Niskanen, don't re-sign TK....Use that money to sign Letang. Trading him should be the last option IMO. Unless you get bowled over with an offer...

They aren't trading Fleury.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:50 am

Not Letang-R

not even really PR but... HEY LOOK PATTY KANE SCORING TWICE AGAINST THE Bs in ONE GAME.

#stillmad
#f***uhcdb
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:01 am

Godric wrote:Not Letang-R

not even really PR but... HEY LOOK PATTY KANE SCORING TWICE AGAINST THE Bs in ONE GAME.

#stillmad
#f***uhcdb

Calm down godric, come in off the ledge.
Last edited by ville5 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:05 am

no name wrote:I am sorry but I think the pens need a major overhaul of the defence. No more of this puck mover and stay home guy. Defencemen should play defence first and not step out of their bounds. Even though Gonch was a bit old and slower he always seemed to make the effort to get back and try to get in position.

In 09 when Letang played a bigger roll in the playoffs he played under Therian the past few years and wasn't the defensive liability he is today.

Get me another Martin and Orpik type pairing and I don't see any change in our chances of making the playoffs.

Letang and pick for Smid, 7th pick and young F prospect. Paajarvi (?). Too much for Edmonton?
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:37 am

ville5 wrote:
no name wrote:I am sorry but I think the pens need a major overhaul of the defence. No more of this puck mover and stay home guy. Defencemen should play defence first and not step out of their bounds. Even though Gonch was a bit old and slower he always seemed to make the effort to get back and try to get in position.

Letang and pick for Smid, 7th pick and young F prospect. Paajarvi (?). Too much for Edmonton?

Letang for Smid + Horcoff with Salary retained.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby KG on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

Crankshaft wrote:
KG wrote:Trade MAF, trade Niskanen, don't re-sign TK....Use that money to sign Letang. Trading him should be the last option IMO. Unless you get bowled over with an offer...

Hope you're wrong. They could use that cap savings....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens2005 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 am

Now Rossi chimes in with the possibility we let him walk after this year.

Lol, people seriously think that would happen?

http://triblive.com/mobile/4242165-96/l ... o-penguins
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:36 am

KG wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Hope you're wrong. They could use that cap savings....

So in another word we go back to 2 years ago when we had a starter and no NHL capable backup. However this time the starter is 36 years old.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:39 am

pens2005 wrote:Now Rossi chimes in with the possibility we let him walk after this year.

Lol, people seriously think that would happen?

http://triblive.com/mobile/4242165-96/l ... o-penguins

so he held the hammer in trade talks with Rutherford.

This seems extremely dubious.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins