Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Pens believe Letang will want $7-$8MM/Year

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:00 pm

no name wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Do you think Letang would fetch us a top 5 pick in this draft if we were to shop him?

Based on the fact that we got the 8th overall in a package for Staal, I would say yes

I say no, the bottom 5 teams are all rebuilding for the future and a quick fix guy isn't going to reshape their franchise. Letang seems like the type of player a team in the hunt would want to push them over the edge. MTL, Vancouver SJ, Even Winnipeg might want a player like him to add to the talent they have. The bottom 5 teams got holes and need a future not a player for right now. Just my 2 cents. I hope I am wrong I would love to land any of the top 5 in the draft.

MTL bought out Karable last year on his contract... 4.5. Are they making room for Letang???

LOL I am just rumor mongering. I am guessing they bought him out cause he just plain stinks!!

I see Letang as a guy you build your team around, not someone that puts you over the edge. He's only 26. Why can't he be now and the future? If I were Tampa, I'd rather have Letang.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:54 pm

The day Letang leaves, the pens get that much slower. And they were slow against Boston.
After letang; fastest penguin, Dupuis? Sid in a straight line. Letang's signing or a trade = sleepless nights
for GM Shero. This in fact led to the acquisition today.

fyi
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 11m Pens GM Ray Shero and Kris Letang's agent Kent Hughes spoke again today. Still no resolution. Plan to speak again this week
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Drouin would be unbelievable for us... he could be there at 3

Get on the phone with Yzerman.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Drouin and Crosby on a line would be sweet
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Drouin would be unbelievable for us... he could be there at 3

Get on the phone with Yzerman.

Look at Tampa's cap situation and see if they can afford Letang. The answer is probably no, unless they buy somebody out (Malone), or they trade salary to the Pens which doesn't help our cap issues.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 pm

I would hope that - regardless of Letang - they would take the opportunity to get rid of Malone.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:05 pm

no name wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Do you think Letang would fetch us a top 5 pick in this draft if we were to shop him?

Based on the fact that we got the 8th overall in a package for Staal, I would say yes

I say no, the bottom 5 teams are all rebuilding for the future and a quick fix guy isn't going to reshape their franchise

Of the bottom 5 teams, I would only put Colorado in the rebuilding mode. Tampa with all of their high priced talent isn't, Carolina didn't shell out 7 million per year to Semin if they thought they are in a rebuilding mode, and even Florida made the playoffs in 2011-12 before being hammered by injuries last year. I certainly think you have possible trade partners for Letang among this group of teams.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:23 pm

TB is 2.4 under the cap this year but could take on 3.5 million contract if they move a few pieces (i.e. Ohlund, Malone).

They have some intriguing parts like 3rd overall, Connolly, Koekkoek, though I doubt they'd move that pick as they could really use one of those 3
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Purcell and a 1st for Letang.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoCalPenguin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Purcell and a 1st for Letang.

How does this help our defense?
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Purcell and a 1st for Letang.

Maybe if they add Hedman to the deal.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoCalPenguin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I'd take Hedman straight up or maybe coupled with a 3rd. Very good young player for reasonable salary...I think 4m.

No way TB gives up multiple big assets...maybe just one plus some minor stuff. I will take Hedman over the No.3 pick.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:I'd take Hedman straight up or maybe coupled with a 3rd.

No way TB does that deal. They need to add to the defense not exchange one guy for another, plus paying the additional salary hit of Letang over Hedman.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 am

Now that the pesky SCF is over....your move Mr. Shero.
What shall it be?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:39 am

pens_CT wrote:

No way TB does that deal. They need to add to the defense not exchange one guy for another, plus paying the additional salary hit of Letang over Hedman.

Well trading Hedman for Letang is almost like trading 2 different positions. Hedman will never do the things Tanger can and Hedman plays a style that Letang couldn't play. So it kinda isn't like trading one Dee for another, when actually it is. But in exchange for Letang we will need a guy to suck up 25 minutes a night on the blueline, Hedman could do that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 am

Tampa isn't a trading partner.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:51 am

This thread makes me want to rip my eyes out. Why would you trade for Hedman? Why not keep Letang who is so much better than Hedman and cheaper than he is for one more season. Then, you can sign someone in UFA-dom to replace Letang after. It's not like Hedman is a bargain at $4 million. So why not find another player who is "not a bargain" in UFA-ship. You guys are afraid of free agency or something.

Trading Letang for a guy like Hedman is essentially the same thing as terminating his contract a year early. We lose him, his amazing talent, and his ridiculous cap hit a year earlier and replace him with a guy that is paid his market rate---which we could get in UFA. THAT is giving Letang away "for nothing."
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 am

I look at it this way...

We got Sutter (who is a 2nd line center on a lot of teams), the #8 overall pick, and a really good prospect in Doumolin for Staal. Granted, Staal is a really, really good player, but he is not worth what Letang is on the open market. We have about as much leverage with Letang as we did Staal (i.e. teams know it will be tough for us to retain him), so we should be able to get a tremendous package for Letang if he is moved.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I look at it this way...

We got Sutter (who is a 2nd line center on a lot of teams), the #8 overall pick, and a really good prospect in Doumolin for Staal. Granted, Staal is a really, really good player, but he is not worth what Letang is on the open market. We have about as much leverage with Letang as we did Staal (i.e. teams know it will be tough for us to retain him), so we should be able to get a tremendous package for Letang if he is moved.

The critical difference---and it's a huge difference---is Staal was gong to sign with Carolina. This circumstance is why the deal made sense for both teams: one was losing a player for the 2012-13 season, the other gaining player for the next 11 years. Put simply, Staal was worth more to the Hurricanes than he was to the Penguins. A trade ensued in the same way a market transaction does. Contrastingly, no team that trades for Letang knows whether he'll re-sign with them. So, these trade offers are based on conflicting premises:

(1) The Pens cannot retain Letang after this year, so we need to trade him now to get a good return for the years that follow next year, although it will weaken the team next year.

(2) A team that cannot retain Letang after this year needs to trade a huge package to get Letang for next year to improve their team in 2013-14 but weaken it in the years that follow.

How can both of these statements be right?

They cannot both be correct. So the question is---to whom is Letang's play value in 2013-14 worth the most? The answer is obvious: the Penguins. We are cap-strapped team in need of a #1 defenseman that can make an incredible first pass and play at our speed.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:12 am

Hammer, I think you're trying too hard. There is a market for Letang. That extra 8th year will be worth it to a team who is confident they can sign him.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

no name wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Well trading Hedman for Letang is almost like trading 2 different positions. Hedman will never do the things Tanger can and Hedman plays a style that Letang couldn't play. So it kinda isn't like trading one Dee for another, when actually it is. But in exchange for Letang we will need a guy to suck up 25 minutes a night on the blueline, Hedman could do that.

Except Tampa didn't need offense. They were lolbad on defense.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:25 am

They cannot both be correct. So the question is---to whom is Letang's play value in 2013-14 worth the most? The answer is obvious: the Penguins. We are cap-strapped team in need of a #1 defenseman that can make an incredible first pass and play at our speed.

And i think you are over valuing what might be availible on the UFA market in a few years. If Gonch and Strait at their age are getting 5M+ at their age what is a young marketable defenceman that we covet going to be asking for? Same as Letang, and there is no assurance that this defenceman will sign with us even if we have the room to make a competitve offer.

And losing Letang doesn't make us a bad team. We have just as much chance at winning without him as long as you change your style a bit. Boston doesn't have anything on the blueline that resembles a Letang and they did just fine this year. Getting a 2 way guy in return might help us focus on defence or force Dan B to install a different system.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:28 am

I can't understand TehHammer's argument. Its not that I disagree with it, I just can't see where he's coming from.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:32 am

no name wrote:

And i think you are over valuing what might be availible on the UFA market in a few years. If Gonch and Strait at their age are getting 5M+ at their age what is a young marketable defenceman that we covet going to be asking for? Same as Letang, and there is no assurance that this defenceman will sign with us even if we have the room to make a competitve offer.

This may be true.

And losing Letang doesn't make us a bad team. We have just as much chance at winning without him as long as you change your style a bit. Boston doesn't have anything on the blueline that resembles a Letang and they did just fine this year. Getting a 2 way guy in return might help us focus on defence or force Dan B to install a different system.

This is an absurd statement.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Trading Letang for a guy like Hedman is essentially the same thing as terminating his contract a year early. We lose him, his amazing talent, and his ridiculous cap hit a year earlier and replace him with a guy that is paid his market rate---which we could get in UFA. THAT is giving Letang away "for nothing."

There are no guarantees that the Pens will be successful in signing any given UFA. So, you are still running the risk of losing a huge asset for absolutely nothing.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins