Jerome Iginla

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jerome Iginla: Thoughts

1.Try to sign him
44%
2.Let him walk
56%

Total votes : 126

Re: Jerome Iginla

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Which that may be the direction the team wants to go if Tanger walks.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Defence21 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:It's a waste of a roster spot, we got into the same thing last summer. This team and it's fans are really starting to get on my nerves. Might as well trade Bennett and Despres while we're at it, they're never gonna get a chance anyways.

It's definitely Adams whose blocking the path of Bennett and Despres. :roll:

I'm fine with replacing Adams if they can find someone who does what he does at an affordable cost. But they won't, and so they shouldn't. He's not hurting the team, he's not holding back a single player, and he's playing cheaply, which allows more cap space for others.

If you want to make the argument that someone should go to create room for Bennett and Despres, let's talk about Iginla on the second line or Morrow on the third line, and any of Murray, Engelland, or Niskanen. Lose any of them and there's sudden room for the young guys.

Craig Adams is not needed, he's a waste of a roster spot period. I don't care how little his salary is or if he's paid in gum. Your love for him is funny cause this is like deja vu from last season. I think this will be the same team from last season anyways so don't expect Morrow or Iginla back. Regardless I don't want Adams back but I know he will be because this is Bylsma's team, not Shero's, not Mario's or Burkles. I think that was made quite clear once Bylsma got his extension.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:05 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:It's a waste of a roster spot, we got into the same thing last summer. This team and it's fans are really starting to get on my nerves. Might as well trade Bennett and Despres while we're at it, they're never gonna get a chance anyways.

It's definitely Adams whose blocking the path of Bennett and Despres. :roll:

I'm fine with replacing Adams if they can find someone who does what he does at an affordable cost. But they won't, and so they shouldn't. He's not hurting the team, he's not holding back a single player, and he's playing cheaply, which allows more cap space for others.

If you want to make the argument that someone should go to create room for Bennett and Despres, let's talk about Iginla on the second line or Morrow on the third line, and any of Murray, Engelland, or Niskanen. Lose any of them and there's sudden room for the young guys.

Craig Adams is not needed, he's a waste of a roster spot period. I don't care how little his salary is or if he's paid in gum. Your love for him is funny cause this is like deja vu from last season. I think this will be the same team from last season anyways so don't expect Morrow or Iginla back. Regardless I don't want Adams back but I know he will be because this is Bylsma's team, not Shero's, not Mario's or Burkles. I think that was made quite clear once Bylsma got his extension.

I don't have a love for Adams. I have an appreciation for what he brings at his salary. As I said, no problem with him being replaced, but I don't see anyone who can fill his role as cheaply and effectively as he does.

Your statement that this is Bylsma's team and he runs the show is an illustration that you're speaking from emotion and not logic.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:18 pm

We tried to get a better version of Adams last year and ended up with tanner stinking glass. Then we hoped vitale would become Adams 2.0, but he somehow can't crack the ice on the PK.

Even though Adams has small shoes to fill, we still havent found a way to do it yet.

Small aside...the stuff about a guy giving his heart and soul despite only playing hard in April thru June doesn't add up for me. He's not a great warrior on the ice. He's kind of a cherry picker for when he wants to give it his all.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:22 pm

You know it's a slow day when you're picking apart Craig Adams' game.

I don't think Tanner Glass was supposed to ever replace Adams, either.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:We tried to get a better version of Adams last year and ended up with tanner stinking glass. Then we hoped vitale would become Adams 2.0, but he somehow can't crack the ice on the PK.

Even though Adams has small shoes to fill, we still havent found a way to do it yet.

Small aside...the stuff about a guy giving his heart and soul despite only playing hard in April thru June doesn't add up for me. He's not a great warrior on the ice. He's kind of a cherry picker for when he wants to give it his all.

I don't disagree with any of this. I will say, though, that unlike some players on the Penguins, Adams brings his best hockey in April/May/June. He is getting older, is slowing down, and is becoming less useful in general -- but, as I've stated before, at his salary, he brings plenty to the table for a fourth line penalty killer and can't easily be replaced without spending more money.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Crankshaft wrote:You know it's a slow day when you're picking apart Craig Adams' game.

I don't think Tanner Glass was supposed to ever replace Adams, either.

You mean have 2 fourth line guys play on the fourth line?? Why would you even suggest that?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

My tune is changing these days about guys holding back for the playoffs. I still don't like it, and a guy like talbot had no excuse when he would do it every year, but we're learning more and more about the general irrelevancy of a typical game in December. If certain players can't get up for those games, it doesn't mean we're doomed. Look no further than Boston this year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't see any way to keep Dupuis if Iginla is back. The guy doesn't kill penalties and is 2nd unit PP in Bylsma's universe. Essentially a slower but more gifted Tyler Kennedy but at 3 times the cost at best.

So who kills penalties if Dupuis is gone? Under contract you have Sutter, Glass and maybe Jokinen. Cooke is a UFA, it's time to let Adams go and get younger and faster with Vitale. But who else?

I was not impressed at all with Iginla, but Bylsma didn't use him in his best role either. Should have never traded for him to begin with if he was going to be miscast like this.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 pm

DelPen wrote:I don't see any way to keep Dupuis if Iginla is back. The guy doesn't kill penalties and is 2nd unit PP in Bylsma's universe. Essentially a slower but more gifted Tyler Kennedy but at 3 times the cost at best.

So who kills penalties if Dupuis is gone? Under contract you have Sutter, Glass and maybe Jokinen. Cooke is a UFA, it's time to let Adams go and get younger and faster with Vitale. But who else?

I was not impressed at all with Iginla, but Bylsma didn't use him in his best role either. Should have never traded for him to begin with if he was going to be miscast like this.

I understand that the small sample size of Iginla didn't leave Pens fans with a great taste in their mouth. Very high expectations. However, that's an insult to say that Iginla is Kennedy. I'll take Iginla at 75% over 100% of Kennedy any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rugbymuffin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 am

Crankshaft wrote:
DelPen wrote:I don't see any way to keep Dupuis if Iginla is back. The guy doesn't kill penalties and is 2nd unit PP in Bylsma's universe. Essentially a slower but more gifted Tyler Kennedy but at 3 times the cost at best.

I understand that the small sample size of Iginla didn't leave Pens fans with a great taste in their mouth. Very high expectations. However, that's an insult to say that Iginla is Kennedy. I'll take Iginla at 75% over 100% of Kennedy any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

So take Iginla's name over Kennedy's production is what you are saying ?

Funny, Kennedy seems to produce no matter what line, what position he is on, or how he is used.

Iginla has to be in one position, be "used correctly, and be on the right line to potentially produce at a higher level.

Not buying it. The square peg must go, IMHO
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:51 am

Rugbymuffin wrote:Funny, Kennedy seems to produce no matter what line, what position he is on, or how he is used.

What line did Kennedy produce on this season?

He had an abysmal season and had a few good playoff games with a chip on his shoulder.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:51 am

Rugbymuffin wrote:Funny, Kennedy seems to produce no matter what line, what position he is on, or how he is used.

not exactly. over his career, he's produced with staal and hasn't produced with anyone else. i've always been a big fan of his, but i can't pretend like he's that versatile, offensively
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am

Kennedy is a one trick pony. He can provide energy when he wants to. He loves to shoot. He's quick. He also can cycle. However, he's not much defensively. He can't kill penalties. He's not good enough to be on a top-6 role on this team and he doesn't bring much versatility in a bottom-6 role.

An ideal world for Kennedy is on the 2nd line of a team like the Florida Panthers or the Calgary Flames where he can get power play time and top-6 minutes.

On this Penguins team, he just doesn't fit anymore. He produced with Jordan Staal but Staal wasn't your typical 3rd line center.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Kennedy is a one trick pony. He can provide energy when he wants to. He loves to shoot. He's quick. He also can cycle. However, he's not much defensively. He can't kill penalties. He's not good enough to be on a top-6 role on this team and he doesn't bring much versatility in a bottom-6 role.

An ideal world for Kennedy is on the 2nd line of a team like the Florida Panthers or the Calgary Flames where he can get power play time and top-6 minutes.

On this Penguins team, he just doesn't fit anymore. He produced with Jordan Staal but Staal wasn't your typical 3rd line center.

Kennedy is a one trick pony and Iginla is what exactly? Iginla provides no energy, can't kill penalties, can't cycle, is slow, doesn't do much defensively. He isn't good enough to be on a top 6 role on this team and he doesn't bring versatility in the bottom 6 role. Iginla does one thing well. He has a hard accurate shot that he can score with on the power play. The only thing he has going for him is that he is a right handed shot and the Pens pp is better with him on it. 5 on 5, Kennedy is the better player. He actually creates something every now and then. Iginla is a washed up waste making mucho $$ to do nothing. He creates nothing offensively. His hits are softer than Morozov's. If his name was Bob Anderson and he was making anything over $1.5M nobody would want him back. He's nothing but a name at this point. I think Calgary actually played better once he left.

This was Iginla's best shot at a cup. He should have been giving his best effort this playoffs. The best he could give. Did anyone see a guy giving it his all? If that was his best do we really want to see him when he slows down some more? He seems like a great guy, but his skill level isn't where it once was anymore. He's a shell of his former self and is nothing better than a body taking up space 5 on 5. Let Bennett work on being that right handed pp shot. 5 on 5 the only people I'd rather Iginla play over on this team is Adams and Glass. I'd play Jeffrey over him. I don't understand why anyone wants him back.

He didn't play poorly because of his position. He didn't play well because he isn't very good. Why would we want to pay for an aging, slow, soft name when we have salary cap concerns? I don't get it. Let some team who needs to draw fans overpay for his name, much like Dallas did last year with Jagr.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 pm

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Yeah, if Iginla's only use is going to be second pp unit, i'd rather they keep Kennedy. What I would really prefer is that they keep neither though. Kunitz- Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal...or something.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:01 pm

sniper wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Kennedy is a one trick pony. He can provide energy when he wants to. He loves to shoot. He's quick. He also can cycle. However, he's not much defensively. He can't kill penalties. He's not good enough to be on a top-6 role on this team and he doesn't bring much versatility in a bottom-6 role.

Kennedy is a one trick pony and Iginla is what exactly? Iginla provides no energy, can't kill penalties, can't cycle, is slow, doesn't do much defensively. He isn't good enough to be on a top 6 role on this team and he doesn't bring versatility in the bottom 6 role. Iginla does one thing well. He has a hard accurate shot that he can score with on the power play. The only thing he has going for him is that he is a right handed shot and the Pens pp is better with him on it. 5 on 5, Kennedy is the better player. He actually creates something every now and then. Iginla is a washed up waste making mucho $$ to do nothing. He creates nothing offensively. His hits are softer than Morozov's. If his name was Bob Anderson and he was making anything over $1.5M nobody would want him back. He's nothing but a name at this point. I think Calgary actually played better once he left.

This was Iginla's best shot at a cup. He should have been giving his best effort this playoffs. The best he could give. Did anyone see a guy giving it his all? If that was his best do we really want to see him when he slows down some more? He seems like a great guy, but his skill level isn't where it once was anymore. He's a shell of his former self and is nothing better than a body taking up space 5 on 5. Let Bennett work on being that right handed pp shot. 5 on 5 the only people I'd rather Iginla play over on this team is Adams and Glass. I'd play Jeffrey over him. I don't understand why anyone wants him back.

He didn't play poorly because of his position. He didn't play well because he isn't very good. Why would we want to pay for an aging, slow, soft name when we have salary cap concerns? I don't get it. Let some team who needs to draw fans overpay for his name, much like Dallas did last year with Jagr.

This is where we'll agree to disagree. Jerome Iginla, on his down year this year, is better than Kennedy in his best year. He was misused by Bylsma, whether you like that excuse or not. He's a future first ballot hall of famer. He looked great on the power play when he was actually used there. I would take Iginla or Jagr at their advanced age on a short term contract over Tyler Kennedy any day of the week.

I do agree that if Iginla is not being used at RW and in a top-6, with top PP time role, then he's not worth his contract.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins