GMRS Live presser at 11am-Bylsma Contract Extended

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GMRS Live presser at 11am-Bylsma Contract Extended

Postby pcm on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

Man, I've been a huge fan of Shero all along, but he sounds really disconnected from what's going on with the team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

Therrien was given an extension in 2008 and fired the next year.

Just an FYI
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

The sad thing is that we won't know what to think until next May. The regular season is meaningless at this point. We finished 1st and scored 2 goals against the only really good team we played.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am

sil wrote:Remember when Down Goes Brown wrote about the plight of the penguins fanbase "...because we don't win the cup every year!"

I'm beginning to see why he wrote that.

Why is that a problem?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am

What, you don't think fans and coaches are having a chuckle? The Pens are the Yankees of the NHL. They go out, get all this talent, have the most epic offensive collapse in playoff history, following an ugly collapse in the first round last season and a huge upset loss in 2010 to an 8th seed...and retain the man behind the bench who was outcoached at every turn.

They may not be laughing at the organization, but I'm sure they are pleased with their decision to keep coach Abysmal around.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jamespensfan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am

Listening to the press conference, it is like Shero watched an entirely different exit from the playoffs than the fan base did.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The sad thing is that we won't know what to think until next May. The regular season is meaningless at this point. We finished 1st and scored 2 goals against the only really good team we played.

Its really appropriate that my favorite two sports franchises are the Braves and the Penguins. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

The 2 years must be for the 2 goals we scored. Good thing we didn't score 6. :face:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

LOLOLOLOL at the fleury comments. I thought it was a SNL skit. Did he really compare him to quick / henrik / marty / reference how 14 teams don't even make the playoffs? lololol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Matthew Monstar wrote:Totally done.

I can't fully support a team with Dan "one look" Bylsma at the head. He can't adjust, can't win when teams really game plan and adjustments are necessary...in post season. Regular season, there isn't much time so there isn't much practice and scheming based on one team.

I'm moving on. I'll support the players but the organization is losing their prime time frame to win a cup or two with a special core.

So what is the difference between now and 2 weeks ago? Will you consume the product any less?

Two weeks ago, well before the Penguins played a legit contender.... The team was playing well... They ran into a team that is coached by a legit coach that game planned and adjusted to shut the Pens down from scoring 4 goals per game to less then 4 goals in 4 games..

What adjustment did Bylsma make? The team certainly wasn't prepared.

They should have been ready and split the home games 1 & 2. They got embarrassed.... And Bylsma should have been on a short leash after last year as is.

I"ll support the players, Geno, Pascal and others that I appreciate but the team clearly won't go anywhere based off of individual talent and All stars brought in by Ray Shero.

So, in terms of your fanship, nothing has really changed. You're not "totally done".

80% done.

I'm not getting into a pissing match, you enjoy your summer and come back with hopes of butterflies and Stanley Cups.

If you want to go on with your ALL IN emotionally attached attitude, go for it. The team had the tools, the potential and totally pissed it away. Now Boston and Chicago are going for the cup? Boston, a team that barely beat Toronto and had the New York Rangers score more goals on Tuuka Rask then Sid, Geno, etc.

I'm just stating that with how the past four years have been, you can judge my loyalty all you want, but if 2009 was the best it's going to get and we just live off Regular Season blow out wins and awesome individual highlight goals........Count me out.

I'm a fan, not a player.....and I'm set on cool. I don't have to be consumed by the team. It's the players that will have to deal with Bylsma same old "Get to their game" style.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

MRandall25 wrote:Therrien was given an extension in 2008 and fired the next year.

Just an FYI

Problem is that everyone wants to make babies with Dan Bylsma.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

sil wrote:Remember when Down Goes Brown wrote about the plight of the penguins fanbase "...because we don't win the cup every year!"

I'm beginning to see why he wrote that.

Yeah, just looking at this topic...

You would almost think winning a Stanley Cup was easy...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

How can I get a job with the penguins???

Even more secure and with lower expectations than the most leniant government agency...
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

jamespensfan wrote:Listening to the press conference, it is like Shero watched an entirely different exit from the playoffs than the fan base did.

And that is a major problem, because even the casual fan can see the same thing is going on every single spring.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

Is he trying to compare Bylsma and Babcock?
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

Shero is really bad at sucking up to the fans.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:We finished 1st and scored 2 goals against the only really good team we played.

This is true, but we were also in three of those four games till the very end, or at least near the very end. Not excusing the poor offensive performance, but they weren't without some good chances, nor were they as absolutely abysmal in the other two zones like they were last spring against Philly.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

Now comparing how the wings make the playoffs every year / comparing db to babcock
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 am

I'm guessing Sid and Geno vouched for Bylsma and the organization reluctantly kept him. Only thing that makes sense to me.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 am

Gaucho wrote:Shero is really bad at sucking up to the fans.

maybe he realizes that your average fan would make a lot of knee jerk reactions every time something goes wrong. that's not the way to run a business or franchise.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby JiriSlegr on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 am

Getting To My Game wrote:Not firing him is one thing, I guess I could have lived with that. But giving him an extension is just a move that is almost incomprehensible.

I think Colligan made a great point when he said that an extension is the only way to stop the debate about Bylsma's future before the year even begins. It still seems mind-numbingly boneheaded to extend a coach before he attains the ultimate goal that this team must be fighting for every year, especially after fizzling out in such bizarre fashion.

But management must believe that getting farther on paper is simply all it wants. They started making money as soon as they got through the first round.
JiriSlegr

Postby sil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 am

Sarcastic wrote:The 2 years must be for the 2 goals we scored. Good thing we didn't score 6. :face:

:lol:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 am

marek wrote:How can I get a job with the penguins???

Even more secure and with lower expectations than the most leniant government agency...

I'll take a Steelers job first. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 am

Really, really disagree with this decision, but oh well. I'll be cheering for the Pens as always and wait to see if DB's horrid playoff streak of non-coaching carries on again next year. Maybe he'll learn something or him and RS will get on the same page as to what kind of players they want to win playoff series, not just regular season games.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TKovacs2 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
jamespensfan wrote:Listening to the press conference, it is like Shero watched an entirely different exit from the playoffs than the fan base did.

And that is a major problem, because even the casual fan can see the same thing is going on every single spring.

Shero looks and sounds like he's been drinking all night.

I don't understand how they can possibly expect things to change away from the past four years of playoff embarrassment WHEN THEY DON'T WANT TO CHANGE THE COACHING STAFF OR PLAYERS
TKovacs2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins