GMRS Live presser at 11am-Bylsma Contract Extended

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GMRS Live presser at 11am-Bylsma Contract Extended

Postby no name on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Its so great knowing we are going to have a great regular season team for the next 2 years... Isn't that what really matters???

Didn't Shero say last year he was going to have to take a big long hard look at the organisation after last years 1st round exit. Wish he would of done that this year.

Is it safe to say Sid and Geno have alot of pull on this team, both endorsed Dan and he stays. I wonder if they pulled Meloshe aside and said if you don't resign you might have a accident?

The term i always have used is "In Shero i trust"........ I am at a loss for words now.
Last edited by no name on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:I recall Abdelkader being a top line forward on the Wings in game 7 a couple weeks ago. Sounds like they have an awesome roster.

The discussion was about from 2009 until now. I recall us having Letestu on our top line in 2011.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:34 pm

topshelf wrote:
pcm wrote:In both Chicago and Boston, there was talk in the first round, when their teams were down, that Julien and Quenville would probably be fired if they lost.

The decision to keep Blsyma around basically sends the message to the fanbase, to the organization, and to the rest of the league, that the Pens are content to be an "exciting" (Shero's word) regular season team. That winning in the playoffs is not all that important. Indeed, getting embarrassed in the playoffs (4 years in a row!!! argghh!) doesn't matter.

How do you "yes fans" not feel embarrassed for your team? Losing to the 8th seed in a major upset, losing after being up 3-1, losing to the Flyers in a despicable performance, and then getting swept when only scoring 2 goals? This organization is condoning losing, and not just "not winning the cup" but showing loudly and clearly that they don't belong in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Bring on the country club.

I'll say it over and over again until people remember just how dire things were
:

The fact that we were even in a position to be up 3-1 against Tampa Bay is a testament to Bylsma's coaching. That team was decimated (losing Staal, Malkin, Crosby, and Kunitz for stretches) and we still managed to make the playoffs. While I think it sucks that we blew that lead, I cannot say that I either blame Bylsma or consider it to be a disappointment. We had no business being there and we got there, with a top unit of Kunitz - Letestu - Kovalev.

The Tampa series isn't a negative for bylsma. That team steamrolled the caps then took the cup champs to 7 games. The pens had nothing left and Tampa got hot. No issues there.

No need to bring that series into the mix, especially when the last two years are enough grounds for firing him in their own right.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 pm

topshelf wrote:
shmenguin wrote:I recall Abdelkader being a top line forward on the Wings in game 7 a couple weeks ago. Sounds like they have an awesome roster.

The discussion was about from 2009 until now. I recall us having Letestu on our top line in 2011.

Lol. That really helps your point.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:
topshelf wrote:

I think it does. This year may have been our best roster since '09, while being Detroit's worst since then. Until now, their defense has always been better than ours, and their 3rd and 4th lines were arguably there, too.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Dan Bylsma contract extension is the last thing I expected today :face:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:40 pm

topshelf wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
topshelf wrote:

I think it does. This year may have been our best roster since '09, while being Detroit's worst since then. Until now, their defense has always been better than ours, and their 3rd and 4th lines were arguably there, too.

Too subjective to really debate, but throwing 2011's lineup as some sort of evidence was funny
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm not suprised at all. I didn't think he was going. I think he will be on a very short leash though.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Easy to assume that the leash is short and there are conditions attached to the extension--insurance for FO in giving stability. IMO, it's naive and incredibly simplistic to think that this extension is a resounding "attaboy." For crying out loud, give the FO some credit for bringing this team back from the ashes and making them once again consistently relevant. We don't know everything that goes on in the conference room.

I liked Tippett for this team, but, as a one-time fan of a Pierre Creamer-coached team (lulz), I can't always get what I want. That said, I'm still in. Always in.

See you in September. Let's go, Pens!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:45 pm

The leash is definitely short, but if Shero subscribes to the Bylsma Theory of Crease Goblins, it doesn't matter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm not a fire-the-coach type fan but this **** should have been fired last year. This is one of the most disappointing days in Pittsburgh sports history. Thank God they gave Disco Danny an extension to boot. Our playoff rivals should be celebrating this landmark decision. I've really liked Shero up to this point but this is baffling beyond belief.

I'd rather have seen RS announce that they had replaced DiscoDuck with Pierre Creamer.
Last edited by Geezer on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48 pm

marek wrote:Some FAKE Shero quotes from conference:

"it's not Dan Bylsma's fault that Toronto couldn't put away Boston in 7..."

"looking ahead over the next 3 seasons, it's likely that upsets will occur and we will have an easier road to the cup..."

"When we extended Dans contract I feel it ensures us 2 more seasons of regular season success."
Reporter: "what about Playoff success?"
"Next question please."
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Once they decided to stick with DB, the extension was the next logical step. That much should be obvious.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 pm

I supported Bylsma when the team struggled earlier in the season, and he righted the ship and they finished strong. They faced adversity in round 1 (mostly Fleury IMO) and they came through. The next series we overwhelmed a strong defensive team. The last series we had no puck luck and faced a "hot" goalie.

The problems I have with the extension are these:

1) Bennett and Despres - mishandled
2) Iginla - mishandled
3) Stating now that Fleury is "our franchise goalie"
4) The fact that the entire team took Game 2 at home off
5) Four years now of Playoff disappointment - which would seem to indicate that the system he refuses to deviate from somehow needs to have alternative paths defined - can he do that?
6) Departures to FA are going to give kids like Bortuzzo, Doumolin, Harrington and others looks. Can Bylsma handle these kids better than he handled Bennett and Despres?
7) Craig Adams never scratched, ever.

He should have been fired. I really hope that the decision was a joint agreement to change the approach to coaching as well, not a vote of confidence for a coach who has failed.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 pm

two points from me:

1. I'm not someone who is going to give up on the team just b/c of the coach. However, I'm like shmenguin in that I just have no expectations for them to go anywhere in the playoffs. So that will lead to less interest to get home to watch the games. I'll still follow and cheer and talk about how DB needs fired. I just know going in that Pens are content being a high scoring side show that will flame out in the playoffs when they face a good team with a decent coach.

2. Using records and round exits to justify how great DB is compared to others is completely and intentionally side stepping DB's major issues. It's not how far they got (as Admin said), it's the way the team has lost in the playoffs in the last 2 years and 2010 (if we are disqualifying 2011). If you look at the Philly series and the Boston series by themselves, it was amateur hour because they had good players and played in a way to counter our system.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Gaucho wrote:Once they decided to stick with DB, the extension was the next logical step. That much should be obvious.

Yes, it is to me. You don't want a lame-duck behind the bench, nor do you want uncertainty hanging over the players' heads.

Again, conditions. I imagine there are many.

I know people are upset, and I understand. But I'll respectfully submit that this is not the worst day in Pittsburgh sports history. It's not the worst day in Pens history. It's not even the worst day in the Crosby-Malkin era. Given last Friday, I'd say it's not the worst day in the past week.

Let's not pretend we know how things will look next May or June, because we don't. Letting it play out and rooting for the best is not adopting a loser mentality.

The hyperbole here is apocalyptic--the absolute worst in the history of all mankind. :pop:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:09 pm

I think it was definitely a case of the players wanting Bylsma to stay. Even so, why bring the assistants back? Obviously there are issues with the coaching staff that need to be addressed.

And as far as Bylsma promising to play Despres and Bennett next season, the salary cap will likely mandate that anyway, as the Pens won't be able to keep all of their players.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm

letsgoalpens wrote:Mikey, I enjoy your posts and usually agree with you but what you wrote here sounds like somebody who is trying to convince themself that this move is okay. If your GM needs to stabilize your coach because he has lost control by giving him another contract then something is wrong.

Thank you. And this was my expected outcome, more or less. It's not so much about stabilizing the coach, it's about organizational stabilization. The team is emotionally fragile (looking around at this message board, it seems it is contagious...), and like I said about the loose threads, you don't want this whole thing to come unraveled. The mid-1950's Red Wings are a good example of this under Jack Adams. I won't go on a long history lesson here, but the patchwork lacked a lot of backing. It was a lot of greenbacks, not a lot of gold. And the patchworked snowballed upon itself and the holes widened, the team became more and more discontent and honestly, the franchise didn't really recover for decades...(Detroit Dead Things). Gordie Howe played in the NHL from 1946-1971 and then again in 1979-80. He won four Cups, all between 1950 and 1955. Once Adams began to tinker, the Wings became unstable, the earth under their feet crumbled and then everyone fell into the center of the earth when so-called, anti-estabilishment ragamuffin Ted Lindsay was moved to Chicago.

Extreme example? Totally. But when you have a lot of star power and maybe don't have that strong core leadership (Gordie, like Sid, was more of a lead by example type...he was actually quite soft-spoken, still is, God bless him), too much boat rocking or even the sight of choppy seas ahead can cause widespread panic. Now, that's not to say that making a coaching move is impossible...not at all. It's ok to let go of a coach. Coaches are hired to be fired. But the organization clearly wasn't ready to move on from Bylsma, and honestly, he did some really good things during the regular season. The extension is just snipping a loose thread before its caught on a nail. It's symbolic, but its significance is not at all empty.

I'll re-state that I believe he's on a short leash heading into the 2013-14 season.

letsgoalpens wrote:If you are keeping players (like a Morrow) and potentially overpaying them or using them in a role they are not fit for in order to insulate the coaching staff something is wrong.

Well, that's unfair to create a negative out of neutral situation. "Potentially overpaying them" is making chicken salad out of chicken feathers. Well, not really, but I like saying that. Anyway...Ray Shero hasn't really been caught overpaying anyone, so I trust his decision making 100% as he has not lead us wrong to any significant degree over the course of his tenure.

I'm not sure that Morrow was stuffed into a role that he was unfit for either...please do elaborate. I thought he played pretty well in the playoffs and I wouldn't mind if he was brought back.

letsgoalpens wrote:I completely agree it is difficult to coach a team with as much talent as the penguins have (in terms of personality) but when the same things keep happeneing (defensive breakdowns, emotional meltdowns, general carelessness with the puck, etc...) the coach needs to be looked at. All of those things can be attributed to players playing for a coach who will not sit them or hold them accountable.

I don't disagree. And I also don't doubt that the coaching situation was "looked at", do you believe that it was not considered? I don't have my finger on the pulse of the coaching candidates out there, I know some better than others, but is there a coach out there that would be a definite upgrade on Bylsma for this team? People can throw out grass-is-always-greener names like John Tortorella and Dave Tippett, but are they really a fit? Tortorella's six goalie system on a team that has a limited amount of hockey sense and is quite injury prone probably doesn't fit our team, right? I mean, do you really expect 87 and 71 to go out there and look like Ryan Callahan? I think that's unrealistic, personally.

Dave Tippett's system relies more on NZ defense and there's an active role for a puck-playing goaltender in his greatest successes (Turco, Mike Smith)...we don't have that and it's very important to his system. We'd really have to change the angle of this roster. And we risk alienating 71 and 58 and call me what you will, but I don't want either of them to leave. Teams don't win without a #1 PMD...can't do it. Look at every dynasty, look at every great center's season: Beliveau's seasons don't happen without Harvey, Abel's don't happen without Kelly, Esposito's don't happen without Orr, Trottier's don't happen without Potvin, Gretzky's don't happen without Coffey, neither do Lemieux's, etc. etc. Not to say that the wheels would fall off of Gretzky if Coffey wasn't there, but he doesn't hit 200 points...ever. Not once, without Coffey. Underrated importance.

letsgoalpens wrote:If the idea of giving Bylsma a contract extension to give him a vote of confidence and set the tone for the players to follow or get out seems to contradict the idea of also giving him a short leash. You can't be all in on a coach while also being ready to oust him.

Key distinction: extension is tangible, short leash is hearsay. Most coaches are on some sort of leash of moderate or shorter length (see: Michel Therrien signs extension with Pittsburgh, gets canned).

letsgoalpens wrote:I am in favor of Bylsma being canned. I have been lulled by the regular season success but four years in a row losing to teams you should beat has simply been too much and I expect this year coming up to be the fifth year. The book is out on how to beat the Bylsma system. Defensive improvement during the regular season means nothing to me because it does not translate to the playoffs. As soon as the coaches on the other team neutralize the bylsma system the team panics because there is no alternative or backup plan. Instead, they all start to press and get out of position. Before you know it your team has just lost two games on home ice with the second game being a 6-1 blowout. In 365 days I would fully expect us to be in the same position but I would hope management has the foresight to make a different decision than they made today. Since 1993 there has not been a team primed to win a cup in Pittsburgh like this one has. They only had to come out of a pretty weak EC and had to beat the Blackhawks. Another missed opportunity (as was the case in 2010). I am honeslty dumbfounded the front office is choosing to keep a coach who was only able to succeed in the post season for one season five years ago. I expect more from Mario and Shero, I only wish they expected more from themselves and their coaching staff.

I agree that adjustments would have been nice against Boston. The rest of that is emotional preferences that I'm in no position to disagree with really, you're entitled to your thoughts and opinions as they are not at all unreasonable.
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I can make a very educated guess as to how things will look next May and June.

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby luv66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 pm

I never would have thought I would be saying disparaging remarks about Shero let alone Mario but this organization is either arrogant , ignorant or only cares about money. Very disappointing. Shero and DB are too buddy buddy and it appears unprofessional to me. I'm a bit sick.

What a waste of Sid and Geno's talent. We've already pissed away four years, well this is it. We will look back on this day 5 years from now and say what if? I believe what some have said that Sid had a hand in this but I can actually give him a pass, maybe he's too deep in the thick of things to see the big picture.

I'll still follow this team just a closely, I love this team which is why I'm so sad right now.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 pm

mikey287 wrote:Dave Tippett's system relies more on NZ defense and there's an active role for a puck-playing goaltender in his greatest successes (Turco, Mike Smith)...we don't have that and it's very important to his system. We'd really have to change the angle of this roster. And we risk alienating 71 and 58 and call me what you will, but I don't want either of them to leave.

Learned something today: I appreciate these comments about Tippett, because I don't want Letang to leave, either. Thanks!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Honestly, the reaction by fans with the remarks about Shero and Mario (as well as the ownership group) is disparaging. At no point is this a sign for the future beyond 1/4 of the season. If HCDB flails about again he is gone. The acting like this contract means HCDB will be a lifer is comical. While I think he can perform the job necessary to win a cup, he has certainly show major faults along the timeline as well. But the overreaction by some of is quite comical and shows a lack of enjoying the team and just wanting championships with your grubby little hands. I want the cup as much as the next guy, but I can still enjoy the journey.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 pm

he won't get fired after 1/4 of the season. If you think Bylsma should be done in Pittsburgh, then you look at it as the front office throwing a season away, you aren't looking at it as Bylsma being a lifer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

The point was that Bylsma is on a short leash contract or not.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Not sure what I blame HCDB for but Despres and Iginla aren't two of them.

Despres was a freaking healthy scratch often in WBS before the NHL started and was horrible in his own zone all year. You can say if he played more things might have been different but he needed protected minutes and we simply didn't have a guy to protect him. Overall our defense was just bad.

Iginla was terrible. LW or RW doesn't excuse almost all of his awful play or even close. Maybe he would have helped the PP but he would have probably given up a shortie or two. Also, teams adjusted to him on the left point and it was easily shut down when they tried to so I'm not sure we are not over romantising that aspect of his game.

Bennett I'm 50/50 on. He got pushed around too much but maybe he would have been quality with top line minutes. I'm meh on blaming HCDB with some mis management there.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins