GMRS Live presser at 11am-Bylsma Contract Extended

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GMRS Live presser at 11am-Bylsma Contract Extended

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

The only thing more meaningless than a head coach contract is a head coach contract in college football.

The extension is nothing more than to remove that cloud over the season much like Bylsma naming Vokoun starter at different points in playoffs to get that out of the way.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Yea, I was not happy with the Pens play but I personally feel it wasn't all HCDB. That is why I wanted him back. I know I am in the minority and I am fine with that.

Still disappointed in the reaction that Pens are being greedy bastards because they resigned a head coach. GMRS and Mario want their name on the cup as much as any player. They spent a lot this year to try and accomplish that task and we have been shown that the Penguins are willing to try and give us the best on ice product. Sid and Geno have offensively flourished and others have shown promise. This team can work under HCDB, but there MUST be accountability on the players as much as the coach IMO.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 pm

It seems like the Pens are so determined to become the Red Wings that they are pretending that their bum coach is Mike Babcock.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby luv66 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Rylan wrote:Honestly, the reaction by fans with the remarks about Shero and Mario (as well as the ownership group) is disparaging. At no point is this a sign for the future beyond 1/4 of the season. If HCDB flails about again he is gone. The acting like this contract means HCDB will be a lifer is comical. While I think he can perform the job necessary to win a cup, he has certainly show major faults along the timeline as well. But the overreaction by some of is quite comical and shows a lack of enjoying the team and just wanting championships with your grubby little hands. I want the cup as much as the next guy, but I can still enjoy the journey.

What makes you think he is on a short leash? He should have been on a short leash long before now. And he doesn't need to be a lifer, the window is closing. The last 4 years have flown by and so shall the next couple of years. A couple more years of bad puck luck , hot goalies and mysterious force fields and the prime years of these superstars will be gone.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Pens will win the Stanley Cup next year. Book it.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 pm

The amount of turmoil and disruption that team has gone through can be difficult. The only thing that has bothered me about HCDB is he can't break a team that packs it in defensively. Montreal and Boston showed that. Crosby and Malkin are what this team is built around and when neither can score bad things happen. It was a bad series for all involved, but if HCDB has problems again he should be gone. But, he is also smarter than most of LGP gives him credit. I think he can figure out how to fix what had happened and will learn. He is still an extremely young coach and situations like what happened this season will occur and I think he has/will learn from it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Pens will win the Stanley Cup next year. Book it.

All-in...to inevitable despair.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Someone brought up a good point today. It's ironic that Mario Lemieux now seems to be one that centers the Pens organization around a stable, coach-first centered mantra, when the Pens used to go through coaches like toilet paper during his time here.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:It seems like the Pens are so determined to become the Red Wings that they are pretending that their bum coach is Mike Babcock.

Both of their last names begin with B. That begins and ends all comparisons between Teflon Dan and the best coach in the sport.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Learned from his mistakes? Burned through coaches and where did it get him*?

*Badger Bob's death probably changed things more than we will ever realize.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:53 pm

topshelf wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
topshelf wrote:
shmenguin wrote:I recall Abdelkader being a top line forward on the Wings in game 7 a couple weeks ago. Sounds like they have an awesome roster.

The discussion was about from 2009 until now. I recall us having Letestu on our top line in 2011.

Lol. That really helps your point.

I think it does. This year may have been our best roster since '09, while being Detroit's worst since then. Until now, their defense has always been better than ours, and their 3rd and 4th lines were arguably there, too.

Yet they are no more successful than we are.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

In Shero I trust.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Enfants autour du monde, mis chameau merde sur les murs

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I know people are upset, and I understand. But I'll respectfully submit that this is not the worst day in Pittsburgh sports history. It's not the worst day in Pens history. It's not even the worst day in the Crosby-Malkin era. Given last Friday, I'd say it's not the worst day in the past week.

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I know people are upset, and I understand. But I'll respectfully submit that this is not the worst day in Pittsburgh sports history. It's not the worst day in Pens history. It's not even the worst day in the Crosby-Malkin era. Given last Friday, I'd say it's not the worst day in the past week.

Maybe with age comes perspective (I'm including all three of us).
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Enfants autour du monde, mis chameau merde sur les murs

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Factorial wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

Maybe with age comes perspective (I'm including all three of us).

And with toothaches.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Last year, Paul Martin was a loser that needed to go. The team showed faith in him and asked him if he wanted to remain as a player for the Penguins. He responded, found his game again, and had a productive season.

I see the same in Blysma. He has been granted a chance to prove himself.

However, if this season kicks off and the train is off-track, I predict a change in coaching staff will occur. I also think Shero will be secretly placing calls this summer to gather info on potential coaches should that change be needed.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Where were the tough questions from the media?

MAF gets another chance w/new goalie coach and has off season regime to get tougher mentally. This gets a passing grade.

HCDB gets a two year extension. I would have given him 1 instead. Coach needs to focus on team, not his own contract, and a one yr (plus the one he still has) does that. Adjustments WERE made, they just didn't work.

Other than those two items, press failed to do their job, like they did in the playoffs, turning emo fans against team and coach. Only the guys on the inside have ALL the facts.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm

The Snapshot wrote:7) Craig Adams never scratched, ever.

I don't see why this is an issue.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby marek on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 pm

my head hurts
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Penspal wrote:Where were the tough questions from the media?

MAF gets another chance w/new goalie coach and has off season regime to get tougher mentally. This gets a passing grade.

HCDB gets a two year extension. I would have given him 1 instead. Coach needs to focus on team, not his own contract, and a one yr (plus the one he still has) does that. Adjustments WERE made, they just didn't work.

Other than those two items, press failed to do their job, like they did in the playoffs, turning emo fans against team and coach. Only the guys on the inside have ALL the facts.

I agree with this post.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:23 pm

My only problem with this situation is that we won't know the answer until about this time next year. The Pens and HCDB have shown that even with massive injury problems they can navigate the regular season and get a good playoff seed. It is in the play-offs that they have problems. If the last four years have shown us nothing else, they have shown us that this team, for whatever reason, has not done well in the play-offs since '09. I can't say for sure if this is the coaching, the goalie or the team in general, but something has to give. I'm still hoping the Pens can overcome whatever their collective problem is next year and bring the Cup home.
GO PENS!!!
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I think Bylsma will be a very good coach. He is incredibly young as far as head coaches go. The fact is, we don't have time to wait around for him to develop and figure things out. Maybe Julien can send him "How to Match Lines 101" for Christmas next year.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ILikeTurtles on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:34 pm

If this proves anything, it means Craig Adams will be back again.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgoalpens on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Rylan wrote:The amount of turmoil and disruption that team has gone through can be difficult. The only thing that has bothered me about HCDB is he can't break a team that packs it in defensively. Montreal and Boston showed that. Crosby and Malkin are what this team is built around and when neither can score bad things happen. It was a bad series for all involved, but if HCDB has problems again he should be gone. But, he is also smarter than most of LGP gives him credit. I think he can figure out how to fix what had happened and will learn. He is still an extremely young coach and situations like what happened this season will occur and I think he has/will learn from it.

The penguins are in "win right now" mode. This is not a team that is being groomed into a winner where we can sit back and hope a coach can figure it out eventually. As he is the coach right now, I certainly hope he gets it right next go round. I don't think he will stumble upon some new strategy, and I appreciate your patience, but the window for this team to be a contender is going to close eventually and they will have to rebuild/retool so waiting for a coach to get it right seems foolish imo. Bylsma has been given three (won't count TB against him) playoff series to get it right and has failed miserably each time. And each time you thought it couldn't get worse, it somehow did. I was ready for the series to be over after game 2 since it was so painfully clear this team was not going to get it done. Nothing againt DB, he seems like a good guy, but a new voice with new ideas is needed and instead we get the same voice that is either not working or is being tuned out. Either way, this time next year after another playoff crash I expect that voice to be drowned out by boos from the gallery. I hope I am wrong about the penguins next year but I imagine it will be pretty comical to watch them stumble through another playoff series against a good team. This time it will not catch me off guard though.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bdevido on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:10 pm

quite frankly i cannot see how an extension is the right move. if he only had 1 year on his contract, why not wait until next season to give him one last shot? what would compel anyone to say, "the pens will win the cup next year?" they were supposed to win it the last 3 years and that has not happened, nor has it really even been close. someone needs to teach fleury how to handle the puck outside of the net. he has to be one of the worst goalies i've ever seen handling the puck, and how many years has he been in the league?
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins