Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:40 am

saveourpens wrote:Dallas offered Malkin more than Pittsburgh in the range of 10-11 million /year. He didn't want to go there.

No they didn't.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:46 am

Do you like fish sticks....in your mouth?
Last edited by Kovy27 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saveourpens on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 pm

-edit
Last edited by saveourpens on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm

saveourpens wrote:You guys think Malkin didn't get any back door phone calls before taking himself off the market for 8 years? I'd say my "source" is pretty fool proof.

No it's not.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Is your source your cousin's sister's boyfriend's doctor's ex-wife's plumber?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

saveourpens wrote:You guys think Malkin didn't get any back door phone calls before taking himself off the market for 8 years? I'd say my "source" is pretty fool proof.

What the hell is a "back door phone call"? I mean, other than tampering, of course...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saveourpens on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 pm

-edit
Last edited by saveourpens on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 pm

saveourpens wrote:Sorry that I almost started another rumor guys, spoke to my source again and he doesn't think it's true.

Lol
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saveourpens on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:44 pm

pens2005 wrote:
saveourpens wrote:Sorry that I almost started another rumor guys, spoke to my source again and he doesn't think it's true.

Lol

Yep, all lies and fabrications.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:10 pm

saveourpens wrote:
pens2005 wrote:

Lol

Yep, all lies and fabrications.

Lol
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby rgj on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Good. I am pleased that Geno will remain a Penguin.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Guinness wrote:

What the hell is a "back door phone call"? I mean, other than tampering, of course...

Well I don't think this happened but its a easy as the Dallas GM saying something in the company of Alex Goligoski that if he could sign Geno he would pay him 11 million a season if he had the chance. Mean while Alex G. pulls out his cell phone and sends a little text saying something the same in a round about way.

This is just a friend texting his friend a rumor he heard and in no way illegal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 pm

no name wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Well I don't think this happened but its a easy as the Dallas GM saying something in the company of Alex Goligoski that if he could sign Geno he would pay him 11 million a season if he had the chance. Mean while Alex G. pulls out his cell phone and sends a little text saying something the same in a round about way.

This is just a friend texting his friend a rumor he heard and in no way illegal.

if you don't think thats tampering <sigh>
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:07 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Is your source your cousin's sister's boyfriend's doctor's ex-wife's plumber?

Thats funny. Never heard that before.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:01 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
no name wrote:
Guinness wrote:

if you don't think thats tampering <sigh>

tampering yes, but in no way illegal. If you don't think things like this ever happened, come on??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:05 pm

If true, that could be formally investigated as tampering. Not that I'm for that idea, but penalties could result...

I have a fair amount of inside sources with the Stars, and I've never heard anything like this...but I don't know every conversation they've ever had, but I was privy to some pretty privileged information about the moves they did and didn't make around the time in question...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Sidney Crosby ‏@CockyCrosby

Went to the strip club with Geno and Shero last night and woke up on a 3 story yacht full of Russian models. Genos missing and Sheros wasted
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Bioshock wrote:Sidney Crosby ‏@CockyCrosby

Went to the strip club with Geno and Shero last night and woke up on a 3 story yacht full of Russian models. Genos missing and Sheros wasted

To bad there isn't a Bylsma spoof account out there to reply to that tweet: "They got to their game."
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:If true, that could be formally investigated as tampering. Not that I'm for that idea, but penalties could result...

I have a fair amount of inside sources with the Stars, and I've never heard anything like this...but I don't know every conversation they've ever had, but I was privy to some pretty privileged information about the moves they did and didn't make around the time in question...

I don't think the Dallas GM did anything, I was just giving an example of a "backdoor call". But my example was a way it could go down without being illegal. But a text from a friend suggesting he would like to play with him in Dallas is in no way tampering. You are just putting a line out it would be up to Geno to bite and take it to another level.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:33 pm

no name wrote:
mikey287 wrote:If true, that could be formally investigated as tampering. Not that I'm for that idea, but penalties could result...

I don't think the Dallas GM did anything, I was just giving an example of a "backdoor call". But my example was a way it could go down without being illegal. But a text from a friend suggesting he would like to play with him in Dallas is in no way tampering. You are just putting a line out it would be up to Geno to bite and take it to another level.

even that example you gave is tampering.

"There is a thing that gets put up in all the dressing rooms now, and technically players can [be guilty of] tampering," said Friedman. "They're told personal communications to entice a player under contract with any other team to come to your team, that's not allowed. It's sort of put up in any dressing room.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/03/30/spf-scotiabank-hockey-tonight-jarome-iginla-penguins.html

This was all mentioned during an interview with iginla after he accepted a trade with the penguins and mentioned that Sid may have helped persuade him to come to the penguins.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Doesn't really matter how much Dallas was willing to pay Malkin. There are teams that would have paid him maximum to the cap as a free agent I am sure Malkin was advised that by his agent. 9.5 is a good deal for Malkin hence the no trade clause.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 am

Have Malkin signed the contract now? As I remembered, they agreed on it, but he was not allowed to sign until after 1 July?
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 pm

I am sure it was signed and faxed to Pittsburgh. No need to make a formal press conference or anouncement when the player is not able to answer questions in person.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby WhoDaresWins on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm

This is from an article "Shero on Letang....." but it would seem to indicate the same thing. The contract was already signed and on July 5th it was sent to the NHL. In Malkin's case, he was in Pittsburgh to sign it and then it was faxed to the NHL on July 5th.

The only thing left to do was for Letang to add his signature.

“Made a couple calls today. Kris was traveling and back home,” Shero said. “It was easy to get signed off late this afternoon.

“There was no rush or deadline. Once we were able to get the signature on the contract we were happy with where we were. We agreed to terms and can send the contract July 5th for official registration.”
WhoDaresWins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Malkin not going to pull a Kovy, says NHL is his priority:

http://en.ria.ru/sports/20130801/182535 ... Trend.html
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins