Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
owtahear wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:16.75M on Perry and Geztlaf.

18.2M on Crosby and Malkin.

I'd say we got pretty good value there, wouldn't you?

Thank you. This puts it in much better perspective.

I'll take Datsyuk and Zetterberg @ 12.7M with the Wings system.

Go be a Wings fan then...weren't you one of the people that said (s)he didn't want to be a Pens fan anymore...? Get goin...

Maybe your new team will sign "defensive ace" Mike Ribeiro for you...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:58 am

I like the deal for both sides. It also means Letang is gone, something that I have mixed feelings about, but was probably inevitable. The salary cap is what it is and Letang is worth WAY more in the open market than what the Pens will be able to afford. Now it's up to RS to try and get the best deal possible for him at some point.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 am

mikey287 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
owtahear wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:16.75M on Perry and Geztlaf.

18.2M on Crosby and Malkin.

I'd say we got pretty good value there, wouldn't you?

Thank you. This puts it in much better perspective.

I'll take Datsyuk and Zetterberg @ 12.7M with the Wings system.

Go be a Wings fan then...weren't you one of the people that said (s)he didn't want to be a Pens fan anymore...? Get goin...

Maybe your new team will sign "defensive ace" Mike Ribeiro for you...

None of them stand a stand because the Penguins got Dan Byslma at the helm
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 am

Still hate the idea of having Fleury as our goaltender.

Letang should be traded right now.

I am ok with a year of transition next season with Sid, Geno, Neal, Martin and Bennett/Despres/Bortuzzo relied on more heavily. The issue, as always, will come up front. The Pens need to get younger, cheaper and hungrier players up front. There are not a ton of options in the minors for them right now.

The best way to get 2-3 viable, young NHL forwards for the 3rd and 4th lines would be trading Letang before the season starts.

I'd like to see Niskanen moved as well. He's has proven that when the playoffs get heated, he gets defeated.

I don't see any more than 1 or 2 of Iginla, Morrow, Muuray, Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy, Adams, Glass or Jeffrey being part of the solution next season. If I have a choice between two guys in that mix - I think we need to go with the faster players. That would mean Kennedy and Dupuis.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:03 am

Avyran wrote:
Difference there is Datsyuk is 34, Zetterberg 32. Slightly different from Crosby's 25 & Malkin's 26.

You got that right 100%! :thumb:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:03 am

I'd go Dupuis Cooke if I were taking 2 of those players. Dupuis should speak for himself and I think Cooke has enough speed along with being the best player of the remainder to make him the best option. He can eat up tons of pk minutes very effectively and is overall the most versatile of the group other than Dupuis.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:04 am

sprtn55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
http://capgeek.com/penguins/

The only players signed in 2014/15 are...

Evgeni Malkin (9.5 million)
Sidney Crosby (8.7 million)
Beau Bennett (900k)
Paul Martin (5 million)
Marc-Andre Fleury (5 million)

Simon Despres and Brandon Sutter will be RFAs.

$34.1 million tied up in those 5 players.

Add James Neal to this at $5 million.

Doh! His cap hit was added into that $34.1 but I forgot to add his name.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:04 am

Best case scenerio is we trade letang and get within the top 3 picks of the draft. Sign that player to play for .8 a year for 3 years and you saved a bundle on the cap.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:05 am

Malkin's deal has nothing to do with Letang, and everything to do with the amount on $ to spend on their wingers.

The team will spend @ $20m on defense no matter what. The question is whether you can have 2 players (Letang and Martin) taking up $12m of that budget. If that's a no, then the question comes down to which player do you keep... The popular sentiment this year is trade Letang. But if you asked people last year, it would have been Martin by a landslide.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 am

The Snapshot wrote:Still hate the idea of having Fleury as our goaltender.

Agree on Letang for sure. I'm not totally opposed to giving Fleury a chance if he sees a sports psychologist over the summer, but the Pens can't afford to have a $5 million backup goaltender.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 am

no name wrote:Best case scenerio is we trade letang and get within the top 3 picks of the draft. Sign that player to play for .8 a year for 3 years and you saved a bundle on the cap.

If that's the case, you almost HAVE to draft a forward for the cap relief. I think everyone would agree an 18 year old rookie is better served up front making mistakes than in our zone with defensive liabilities.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 am

Top 3 picks means 3rd pick to me. Drouin would be fine with me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am

pcm wrote:Malkin's deal has nothing to do with Letang, and everything to do with the amount on $ to spend on their wingers.

The team will spend @ $20m on defense no matter what. The question is whether you can have 2 players (Letang and Martin) taking up $12m of that budget. If that's a no, then the question comes down to which player do you keep... The popular sentiment this year is trade Letang. But if you asked people last year, it would have been Martin by a landslide.

Agreed. That being said, Martin was offered his trade, and came back this season with flying colors. Plus I feel he can QB a PP much better than Letang, and can be the #1 guy much cheaper. I think Letang gets moved purely out of coming in 2nd by a slim margin and financial necessity.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am

Would you rather have CRosby & Malkin for a little over 18 mill cap hit or Getzlaf and Perry for around 17 mill cap hit?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:10 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

Also lol'd at that. <3 Geno.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 am

Tampa has the 3, right? They're up against the cap, but could use help. Ohlund isn't going anywhere, but they could make room with Brewer or maybe Salo. They definitely need help on the back end, but i'm not sure Letang is what they want/need. I just have a hard tiem seeing the Pens getting a top 3 pick. I honestly think Colorado's might be the easiest to get and I don't think thats likely.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 am

Tico Rick wrote:

LOL. I love Geno.

He's a gem.
one thing, he's always respectful of Sidney, but Evgeni can be the best in the NHL.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:17 am

If anything Shero has shown us while he has been here, is he and his cap guru guy are great at dealing with roster and salary cap.

To even be concerned with it after the body of work shown over the past 6+ years is a little over dramatic.

We knew a couple years ago that we would lose one of Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Letang. I really think Shero wanted to keep the 3 center model and have Letang be the odd man out.

I think Letang still ends up being out just because he'll want more than the 6/year Staal would have gotten.

I think 6.25 is the magic number for Letang. 8 years 50 million. If he doesn't want it, then we move on.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:17 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Top 3 picks means 3rd pick to me. Drouin would be fine with me.

Can you imagine Nichushkin and Malkin, both 6'4 russians, bearing down on the opposition? It'd be hard to pass up on that if given the opportunity.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 am

pcm wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Top 3 picks means 3rd pick to me. Drouin would be fine with me.

Can you imagine Nichushkin and Malkin, both 6'4 russians, bearing down on the opposition? It'd be hard to pass up on that if given the opportunity.

Just cover Neal in that scenario cause that's where the drop pass is going. :pop:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

Tico Rick wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Still hate the idea of having Fleury as our goaltender.

Agree on Letang for sure. I'm not totally opposed to giving Fleury a chance if he sees a sports psychologist over the summer, but the Pens can't afford to have a $5 million backup goaltender.

I do not believe there is another Penguin skater who was more responsible for the Pens loss and even their earlier struggles against the Isles than Letang. He sets the tone for the entire 5 man unit and he plays half the game. It stands to reason that if one guy is a free-lancer who ignores positioning and continually counts on his skating to bail himself out, he hangs the other 4 out to dry in terms of their decision making.

I say this even though I completely admire his skillset. I love to watch him play. He is one of the most dynamic players I have watched for quite a while. He is so strong for his size. He skates like no other. He has a great shot. His vision is great. He is the complete set of tools but he still can't quite seem to lock the toolbox.

I do expect that if he goes elsewhere, and more is demander of him in his new system in terms of focus on D first - he could be someone I'll hate seeing in the other uniform for a long time.

The economics make this a seeming no-brainer that he cannot stay long term. These facts above help me manage my grief that he cannot.

I'd like to see more focus on structure and less focus on elite skill. The last 4 years have shown that responsible, focused and motivated mid-level performers can out-do even the elite talents in the game. Playing within a better structure overall, I do believe that these elite guys can then be the difference. Right now, we want to win playoffs by throwing our sticks out there.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

pcm wrote:

That and the idea of Beauflex with Sid...just having that youth served on the top lines finally.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

We don't need picks. Should we trade Letang, we need a proven defenseman in return.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins