Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:42 am

pens2005 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:We don't need picks. Should we trade Letang, we need a proven defenseman in return.

Finally...to trade a Norris caliber d-man for a draft pick (minus like a Lemieux, Crosby type pick, but that's unrealistic going the other way) is usually a quick way to find the unemployment line. It's an outrageous proposition...ridiculous...

I would assume the Staal trade would be the template for any Letang trade. 1st round + serviceable replacement + prospect

More than that. Unless the serviceable replacement is upgraded for the quality of player. 2nd line center vs. #1 elite PMD. The difference in value is astronomical.

Can't win consistently without a #1 PMD. Never happen, never has. It might be the most valuable player type, so to speak, out there. It's a franchise cornerstone. Has been that way since the forward pass was liberalized and utilized.

More than that? You can't afford to sign more than that. You do realize there's a cap, right?

You do realize that 10 million spead across 4 players is better than spending 8 million on 1 position? Right? Right?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am

I didn't read one post saying everything was fixed because Malkin is on the roster.

I'm reading that this keeps the Pens in the hunt for the next 8 years at the very least.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 am

Beveridge wrote:I didn't read one post saying everything was fixed because Malkin is on the roster.

I'm reading that this keeps the Pens in the hunt for the next 8 years at the very least.

yeah this. Things aren't perfect right now, but anytime you can lock up one of the top 3 best players in the league to a long term deal it makes you feel pretty good.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 am

Gaucho wrote:Some people envision our D to consist of Martin, Despres, Bortuzzo, Harrington, Dumoulin, and Pouliot or something like that two years from now. Should be a lot of fun.

I think Brooks will return. At least I hope.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 am

Things arent going to be perfect unless he swings a mega deal for Letang. There's a reason the motto was "all in" this year. Won't have a roster like that for a while.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Guess I get to enjoy my username for the next 8-9 years. Fantastic news.

If he did leave you could always change it. You just have to give up your soul to RJ.

:pop:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
You do realize that 10 million spead across 4 players is better than spending 8 million on 1 position? Right? Right?

Lol you're demanding a ridiculous package for a guy who was putrid the past two postseasons and we probably can't even afford pascal Dupuis.

Get a top pick and that will be good enough, in my opinion. If you can get a decent player too, fine.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 am

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

Gaucho wrote:groan...

"He distinctly said "To Blave," which we all know means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated!"
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

Rylan wrote:lol

You think we will get more in return for Letang? What would be your demand, Sir Genius?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Whew, don't have to rename my dog, Geno, now.

My dogs name was Disco... He got mauled by a bear a couple of weeks ago. :pop:

Oh no! Is he alright? And Disco is a great name regardless of Bylsma's status with the team. Everyone just think I'm Italian now, since I like in Salt Lake and no one knows who Evgeni Malkin in.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

penny lane wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Some people envision our D to consist of Martin, Despres, Bortuzzo, Harrington, Dumoulin, and Pouliot or something like that two years from now. Should be a lot of fun.

I think Brooks will return. At least I hope.

Me too. And I hope Tanger stays, too, and learns to pick his spots more wisely.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

pens2005 wrote:
Rylan wrote:lol

You think we will get more in return for Letang? What would be your demand, Sir Genius?

Let's bring it down a notch, please.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am

wondermoose wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Oh no! Is he alright? And Disco is a great name regardless of Bylsma's status with the team. Everyone just think I'm Italian now, since I like in Salt Lake and no one knows who Evgeni Malkin in.

I'm assuming that bear is licking its wounds after a long night at the moment.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 am

wondermoose wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:59 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

You should have gone to Vegas and bet your life savings on the Bruins to beat the Pens right then and there.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Aw stop, he's genuinely concerned!
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 pm

@malkin71 Today i agreed on new deal with Pens. I am so happy to stay here, in my favourite hockeytown! Thanks to you fans!
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Letang is easily worth more than a draft pick and a side piece. Letang is a blockbuster deal requiring compensation greater than the average trade that you think happens. There are numerous 2nd line centers available on the market, but a 25-30 minute number 1 defenseman is one of the rarest breeds of hockey players. Add in his skating ability, age, and offensive prowess its easy to recognize the fact he is worth much more than a simple pick and an average joe.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Rylan wrote:Letang is easily worth more than a draft pick and a side piece. Letang is a blockbuster deal requiring compensation greater than the average trade that you think happens. There are numerous 2nd line centers available on the market, but a 25-30 minute number 1 defenseman is one of the rarest breeds of hockey players. Add in his skating ability, age, and offensive prowess its easy to recognize the fact he is worth much more than a simple pick and an average joe.

What do you constitute as an acceptable return, in that case? Being realistic to the cap, of course.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Letang is easily worth more than a draft pick and a side piece. Letang is a blockbuster deal requiring compensation greater than the average trade that you think happens. There are numerous 2nd line centers available on the market, but a 25-30 minute number 1 defenseman is one of the rarest breeds of hockey players. Add in his skating ability, age, and offensive prowess its easy to recognize the fact he is worth much more than a simple pick and an average joe.

What do you constitute as an acceptable return, in that case? Being realistic to the cap, of course.

A #1 defenseman.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

A #1 defenseman.

A top 2 defenseman, a prospect, and a pair of draft picks would be where I start.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

A #1 defenseman.

Well it just so happens that a #1 defensemen is available at #1 in the draft this year. And he will be cheap for many years.

http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2012/11/seth ... -report-2/
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Gaucho wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

A #1 defenseman.

So a high draft pick and another top pairing d-man that can take on his minutes but not quite with the same offensive skillset, or maybe more defensive minded?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:

A #1 defenseman.

Well it just so happens that a #1 defensemen is available at #1 in the draft this year. And he will be cheap for many years.

He will also lack experience for many years. I don't know much about Jones, but I do know that guys like Ray Bourque don't grow on trees.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins