Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Malkin signs 8 yr/76m Contract Extension

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 am

pens2005 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
npv708 wrote:So I'm guessing Duper will get a similar contract. 8 yrs/72 mill

In all seriousness, Dupuis can't be signed to a long term deal. Too much money to tie up in a guy like that.

And therein lies he problem by signing Malkin. You'll lose more pieces than you'll gain.

With that signing comes a lot of changes I wouldn't want to make to a good roster.

If Dupuis were 10 years younger, he'd be worth that contract. There is a good chance he won't be the top-line force he is now 2 years into a 4 year extension. Why tie up that money when it can go to someone younger and better.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 am

pens2005 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
npv708 wrote:So I'm guessing Duper will get a similar contract. 8 yrs/72 mill

In all seriousness, Dupuis can't be signed to a long term deal. Too much money to tie up in a guy like that.

And therein lies he problem by signing Malkin. You'll lose more pieces than you'll gain.

With that signing comes a lot of changes I wouldn't want to make to a good roster.

Color me stunned.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am

.............along these lines, any idea what the cap in 2014/15 would have to be to make these two contracts feasible? I heard it's supposed to go up, but any reasonable guess to what? Should've said to make having both guys and still be comfortable under the cap with a competitive team...
Last edited by since1970 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 am

pens2005 wrote:Ar least 25% of the cap in two years is taken up by two players.

To me, that's not a model of success. Good luck signing Bennett, Despres, etc. in a few.

I just think its too expensive for just offensive weapons.

Finding replacements for Bennett, Despres etc in a few years will be much easier than trying to replace Malkin.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 am

If the cap goes up next year(likely will), you're at the same position you're at now. In all likely hood, you had to know Letang wasn't being kept if he turned into this, there's just not enough money to go around.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 am

....... any word on whether there's any NTC in the new contract?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:17 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Crosby's cap hit is $8.7 million dollars, not $10.6 million dollars. I wouldn't say becoming the second highest paid player in the league is a discount. Especially when everyone across the league considers the highest paid player to be overpaid.

He got paid what he deserves, and i'm glad for that because if he wanted, he could have got a lot more.

Malkin's contract should not be compared to contracts made prior to the new CBA, but to contracts made after the new CBA. Perry & Getz contracts for example. So considering this and the amount of money he could have made as one of the top players in the league, I would consider it a discount.

Why? Because he'll make more money over his career under this CBA than he would have under the old one? Seems counter-intuitive.

Counter-intuitive? Geno could easily have said he wants to be paid the max or somewhere close to the max knowing #1, that he is considered the best or one of the best in the world over the past 3 seasons. #2, the owners clipped the players wings so-to-speak when they limited term on contracts and forced players to take as much as they can when they can. #3, Knowing that next season the cap will go back up to where it is this season and most probably increase over the term of his 8 year contract.

So why would this not all be gathered together to determine that yes, he took a discount. Even using your own words "...he could have got a lot more". That is the definition of a discount. When you acquire something below its assumed value.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:17 am

pfim wrote:

To me, that's not a model of success. Good luck signing Bennett, Despres, etc. in a few.

Finding replacements for Bennett, Despres etc in a few years will be much easier than trying to replace Malkin.

We should hope it will be difficult to keep them, because it'd mean they turn out to be pretty good.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 am

since1970 wrote:....... any word on whether there's any NTC in the new contract?

It is, according to Dreger.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 am

Why are people arguing over whether or not it was a discount. He's the second highest paid player in the league. Surely, that's not a discount. Just because he could have hypothetically gotten more, we'll never know.

It's a fair contract for both sides. Why have the pissing match?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:19 am

Gaucho wrote:
since1970 wrote:....... any word on whether there's any NTC in the new contract?

Dreger is the man
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:19 am

Crankshaft wrote:Why have the pissing match?

Haha. You're new.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

16.75M on Perry and Geztlaf.

18.2M on Crosby and Malkin.

I'd say we got pretty good value there, wouldn't you?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:Hard to find a complaint here. Letang is the next order of business, and it's a tricky one. He'll want to be paid for his skill set, and not his decision making.

This is an easy one. Trade Letang.

I hope so. As incredible an offensive talent as he is, after this year's playoffs I've had enough of his boneheaded plays.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CrazyJoeDavola on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

In the first season for which Crosby an Malkin were each making $8.7, the cap was $56.8 I believe. They took up almost 31% of the cap this year. In the first season of this new Malkin deal, 2014-2015, the cap at a minimum will be $64.3 and likely a little higher. At worst, Crosby at $8.7 and Malkin at $9.5 will take up 28% of the cap. Their portion of the cap will only decrease from that point on as the cap continues to rise.

The Pens cap situation in regards to those two will start off in a better palce than it did the last time around, and will continue to improve further as time goes on. This isn't going to devastate the salary structure. They have been in worse shape before with those two and were able to make it work.
CrazyJoeDavola

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

I would be absolutely shocked if the cap did not go up after next season. From what I heard, revenue has been over and above expectations after this shortened season. It could be just NHL blowing smoke up our arses but I tend to believe the fans (herd) have come back in great numbers after the lock-out.

Say what you want about 2 players locking up so much of the cap, having both of those guys on your roster for years to come will make other UFAs take discounts to sign here to play with these guys. It all evens out in the end. And as a Pens fan, we get to have 8 more years of Sid and Geno dazzling us each game.

Very happy am I today.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

So happy to see Malkin on this team for the next 8 years. Such a goofy monster.

Pens PR putting out positive news to sway the anti-DB sentiments... crafty.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

meow wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

Dreger is the man

Good, so we can put to rest any idea he's going anywhere for a few years
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Crosby's cap hit is $8.7 million dollars, not $10.6 million dollars. I wouldn't say becoming the second highest paid player in the league is a discount. Especially when everyone across the league considers the highest paid player to be overpaid.

He got paid what he deserves, and i'm glad for that because if he wanted, he could have got a lot more.

Malkin's contract should not be compared to contracts made prior to the new CBA, but to contracts made after the new CBA. Perry & Getz contracts for example. So considering this and the amount of money he could have made as one of the top players in the league, I would consider it a discount.

Why? Because he'll make more money over his career under this CBA than he would have under the old one? Seems counter-intuitive.

Counter-intuitive? Geno could easily have said he wants to be paid the max or somewhere close to the max knowing #1, that he is considered the best or one of the best in the world over the past 3 seasons. #2, the owners clipped the players wings so-to-speak when they limited term on contracts and forced players to take as much as they can when they can. #3, Knowing that next season the cap will go back up to where it is this season and most probably increase over the term of his 8 year contract.

So why would this not all be gathered together to determine that yes, he took a discount. Even using your own words "...he could have got a lot more". That is the definition of a discount. When you acquire something below its assumed value.

I believe that if he signed a $10 million/year contract next year as a UFA, everyone here would be complaining that another team was willing to overpay for him and that it sucked that the Pens lost him. Do you disagree?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:16.75M on Perry and Geztlaf.

You bet! Considering 87/71 are a consistant threat for hardware each and every year (barring injury), I would say that is damn good value. I hope we have a situation where both are contending for the Art Ross in the same year!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:16.75M on Perry and Geztlaf.

Excellent way to look at it. Who cares what the figures of this contract are. Look around the league at what teams are paying for this sort of production. Excellent contract, no bones about it
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

Crankshaft wrote:Why are people arguing over whether or not it was a discount. He's the second highest paid player in the league. Surely, that's not a discount. Just because he could have hypothetically gotten more, we'll never know.

It's a fair contract for both sides. Why have the pissing match?

The board is full of contrarians.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 am

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 am

Gaucho wrote:

Actually, Malkin gets the same NMC as Crosby has.

A no-move clause means a player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent. This does not protect the player from a buyout.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 am

Hawkeynut wrote:I would be absolutely shocked if the cap did not go up after next season. From what I heard, revenue has been over and above expectations after this shortened season. It could be just NHL blowing smoke up our arses but I tend to believe the fans (herd) have come back in great numbers after the lock-out.

Say what you want about 2 players locking up so much of the cap, having both of those guys on your roster for years to come will make other UFAs take discounts to sign here to play with these guys. It all evens out in the end. And as a Pens fan, we get to have 8 more years of Sid and Geno dazzling us each game.

Very happy am I today.

I think it may end up goign up, but the nhl still lost over 40% of the season, I don't think the revenues exceeded expectations enough to make up for that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins