NHL Awards

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL Awards

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:09 pm

SoCalPenguin wrote:The Lindsay isn't viewed as more prestigious than the Hart....but thats beside the point because it never should have gotten to the point where any of the 3 awards had any controversy.

Thanks for going above and beyond mere suck age Brooks. I guess that wasn't enough. It can never be a 1 or 2 game thing...ever. So when is that going to end cause weve had about 20 years of **** compacted into 3 years. And now Ovie will be crowing like he won something even tho he is a lazy selfish cancerous undeserving jerk.

At least he has never seen a conference final. Still....that's not quite good enough. There has been a tremendous amount of unfairness to Sid........I'm waiting for the law of averages to maybe like make an appearance.....feel free to do it at any time.

This **** makes me **** sick.

Dude, you're serious with this? Blaming Orpik for the broken jaw? Turn in your hockey fan card. Just...wow. :thumbdown: :face:
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 pm

mikey287 wrote:In terms of just "competitors", since1970, does anyone rank above Bobby Clarke in your time as a hockey fan? In terms of just pure compete level, a guy that you just knew hated to lose more than anyone...

Honestly, all of the players in history I think Crosby is closer to a Bobby Clarke than anyone. Much more talented obviously.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:50 pm

mikey287 wrote:Howie Morenz
Eddie Shore
Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr
Bobby Clarke
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
and now...Alexander Ovechkin.

Spoiler:
3x Hart Trophy winners all time, of course

Someone doesn't belong on this list... and it's not even close. And it's not Bobby Clarke or Eddie Shore.

What I don't get, is the 12 fools that could vote Crosby 5th. And how Tavares didn't win given AO not showing up the first half of the season and Crosby missing the last quarter of it.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks for the great responses re: Clarke guys. Always interested to hear it from the people who lived it, but have no reason to romanticize it (as he played for a rival). Seems to fit my research and views of him pretty well. Interesting take by you "since1970", a little bit of showmanship maybe on his part, if I'm reading you right...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I think it was more like gamesmanship, always trying to get the upper hand, always thought he had a little chip on his shoulder, maybe it was the illness, almost like he had to overcompensate because of it, but then I just could be imagining things. No offense, and I get why, but never never compare Crosby to Clarke. I see more Marcel Dionne in Crosby.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Crosby had more heart than Dionne. I thought I read once that Marcel was once asked something along the lines of "how many of those 700 goals would you trade for a Cup?" and he answered "zero."

For those that don't know, the Kings teams under Marcel Dionne were pretty high scoring [Triple Crown line] but always faltered in the playoffs and Dionne seemed to get shutdown pretty often in the playoffs. The Kings didn't have a ton of supporting cast, but did have a very underrated goalie Rogie Vachon, in any event, Dionne didn't exactly have that "next gear" like Crosby does. Dionne was also much more of a shooter I believe...

And Clarke was unbelievable defensively, Crosby isn't. Crosby could be better defensively (namely, in the regular season) but has better things to do I guess...

Maybe Howie Morenz if he developed in the forward pass era (thus augmenting his playmaking ability) as a comparable...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Dionne gets a bum wrap because of no Cups, those King teams where not very good, it was one line. Dionne did have a burst, especially to the net, it was one of the reasons I made the comparison. Crosby, to me anyway, is the best of Trottier/Dionne, it's hard to compare elite players. You can see a little of this player or that player, but their game is their own, especially with a generational talent.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 pm

I also gave Trottier some consideration, but Crosby is probably more dynamic. And I didn't mean to hate on Dionne, he was a really good player but I think Crosby ends up better than him historically. Though, he might not become Trottier good...we shall see...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby America on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:28 am

MVP

America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 am

I really don't think Crosby or Ovechkin deserved it. Each has missed time over the past several years((Crosby to injury, Ovechkin to disappearing act) without really affecting their team's position. I have no problem with Crosby not winning the Hart though. Maybe thats because I never thought that award really had any meaning when the Pearson/Lindsay existed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:27 am

I personally would rather be recognized by my peers than recognized by media fan boys. That's just me though.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:32 am

CERV96 wrote:I personally would rather be recognized by my peers than recognized by media fan boys. That's just me though.

I prefer the one associated with the higher bonus in my contract
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I really don't think Crosby or Ovechkin deserved it. Each has missed time over the past several years((Crosby to injury, Ovechkin to disappearing act) without really affecting their team's position. I have no problem with Crosby not winning the Hart though. Maybe thats because I never thought that award really had any meaning when the Pearson/Lindsay existed.

Should have been Tavares.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Good argument by Puck Daddy as to the absurdity of many NHL Writers' votes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-worst-thing-nhl-awards-voters-124804628.html
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins