Crosby/Chara

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby/Chara

Postby Penspal on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:This is the absolute definition of a non-story. As others have said, if the roles were reversed, we'd all think this was funny and awesome.

Its more than a story actually. Thanks for posting this.

Its a big reason why I believe Sid was ineffective the rest of the series. By doing this, Chara showed that not only WOULD he do it, he would not get caught, penalized or punished in any way by the NHL or the Pens. Let that get into the head of Sid and worm its way around. If only he had of kept his chin guard on.

As for the comment that "Shrek" should have gone after him.... no. Murray is not an enforcer, nor does he have the history with Sid to go after him.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Don Cherry in that the Pens need a winger for Sid like Lucic. Someone who will protect him and enact vengence should **** like this happen.

If stuff like this takes Crosby off his game, that's a statement about Crosby, not Chara.

Of course it is. Crosby is HUMAN. I cannot imagine what its like to take a slapshot in the face. Let alone sit out a bazillion games, and possibly not be normal again (ala Pronger and countless others) for his previous two serious issues. What would take you off your game? He's got a broken freaking jaw, and when the largest player (likely human in the entire state) gets a free punch to your face while your held? Sid is many things, but he's human. In my mind, this took Sid off his game.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Penspal wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:This is the absolute definition of a non-story. As others have said, if the roles were reversed, we'd all think this was funny and awesome.

Its more than a story actually. Thanks for posting this.

Its a big reason why I believe Sid was ineffective the rest of the series. By doing this, Chara showed that not only WOULD he do it, he would not get caught, penalized or punished in any way by the NHL or the Pens. Let that get into the head of Sid and worm its way around. If only he had of kept his chin guard on.

As for the comment that "Shrek" should have gone after him.... no. Murray is not an enforcer, nor does he have the history with Sid to go after him.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Don Cherry in that the Pens need a winger for Sid like Lucic. Someone who will protect him and enact vengence should **** like this happen.

If stuff like this takes Crosby off his game, that's a statement about Crosby, not Chara.

Of course it is. Crosby is HUMAN. I cannot imagine what its like to take a slapshot in the face. Let alone sit out a bazillion games, and possibly not be normal again (ala Pronger and countless others) for his previous two serious issues. What would take you off your game? He's got a broken freaking jaw, and when the largest player (likely human in the entire state) gets a free punch to your face while your held? Sid is many things, but he's human. In my mind, this took Sid off his game.

Good on Chara then.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby marek on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 pm

to clarify... I was calling Chara "Shrek" not Murray... I guess a better descriptive for Chara would be " Lurch"

Sorry for confusing
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:19 pm

anyone want to lose some brain cells?

http://www.daysofyorr.com/2013-articles ... rosby.html
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 pm

So, did Sid actualy release that video?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Interesting take on what happened. I need time to digest it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Dress MacIntyre and Engelland first game against Boston next year. Instruct MacIntyre to challenge Chara, if he doesn't want to go then just grab a hold of him and throw punches until he gets tired. Engelland can take on Thornton as he tries to help his giant friend.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Being a superstar, face of the league - what comes with the territory, is that he's going to be criticized no matter what. Part of it, of course, is deserved, as everyone makes mistakes and deserves to be criticized, but part of it of course is nonsense.

If Sid skated away from every Chara like confrontation, the same people criticizing him for that, would be calling him soft, and that he "never sticks up for himself"...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Dress MacIntyre and Engelland first game against Boston next year. Instruct MacIntyre to challenge Chara, if he doesn't want to go then just grab a hold of him and throw punches until he gets tired. Engelland can take on Thornton as he tries to help his giant friend.

Crap like this never happens and even if it did, it wouldn't mean jack **** if the Pens met the Bruins in the playoffs again. I don't know why people waste their breath with this kind of sentiment.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Dress MacIntyre and Engelland first game against Boston next year. Instruct MacIntyre to challenge Chara, if he doesn't want to go then just grab a hold of him and throw punches until he gets tired. Engelland can take on Thornton as he tries to help his giant friend.

Crap like this never happens and even if it did, it wouldn't mean jack **** if the Pens met the Bruins in the playoffs again. I don't know why people waste their breath with this kind of sentiment.

How come Cooke had to fight Evander Kane a few years back? Sure it happens, just not by any Penguins since Roberts left.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Chara probably wins that fight. In my experience, 6 foot 9 black belts are tough to beat.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Chara probably wins that fight. In my experience, 6 foot 9 black belts are tough to beat.

My money is on Mac. Todd Fedoruk was a black belt too, look what happened to his face.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Chara is terrible on his feet in a fight. He mostly gets whatever shots in he can and turtles.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby no name on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Chara still has 3 inches and a few pounds on Mac, the sad thing is without actually trying to injure him you can't hurt him. I don't know who said he can't fight... I am yet to see him lose a fight, the best I seen on youtube is a draw.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm

no name wrote:Chara still has 3 inches and a few pounds on Mac, the sad thing is without actually trying to injure him you can't hurt him. I don't know who said he can't fight... I am yet to see him lose a fight, the best I seen on youtube is a draw.

me too
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 am

Gotta go with the body shots
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 am

shmenguin wrote:anyone want to lose some brain cells?

He's now invading the minds of Bruins fans, just as he did with Flyers fans:

Now there are rumors that the reason Fleury won't be bought out/traded is because Crosby told management he didn't want Fleury to go. I never would've believed that rumor two years ago? Now? Well, now I can definitely see Crosby running to management and crying and yelling until they promise not to throw out his favorite teddy bear, no matter how old, dirty and useless that bear is now.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 am

shmenguin wrote:anyone want to lose some brain cells?

This was flagged by my work's web anti-virus for the reason of malicious software.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:06 am

no name wrote:Chara still has 3 inches and a few pounds on Mac, the sad thing is without actually trying to injure him you can't hurt him. I don't know who said he can't fight... I am yet to see him lose a fight, the best I seen on youtube is a draw.

Chara punched Sid while being held~ a gladiator :roll:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 am

penny lane wrote:

Yeah, but Sid DID keep holding him, even after Chara clearly asked nicely for him to stop. We should be protecting the league's stars, Penny...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:40 pm

I have to say that seeing this happen at real speed (non slo mo) does make it not appear as bad, however he got him full in the chops. I do not believe for a second it was incidental, and his claims it was not him are asinine. Sid was still holding on because he probably had to. ;) There was a brief wtf look on Sid's face, funny in hindsight. I would love to have Chara on the Pens, but I would never defend his goonery, just like I never would defend Cooke's former goonery.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:24 am

penny lane wrote:

I am not defending Chara or ever referenced him as a honorable player. The guy can fight plain and simple.

I did however find 2 fights against George Laraque where it looked like he tackled George on purpose so he didn't have to exchange punches.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

Either way that moment was a turning point in the wrong direction for the series: combination of motivation, luck, lack of discipline, bounces, momentum, lost focus and **** no calls
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I have a bigger issue, which is still minor, with Chara for not fessing up to it. The punch itself happens a lot, not a big deal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Why was Chara's punch missed? Because you are allowed to take head shots after the whistle sometimes? How weird. Was it even after the whistle? Can't do that in soccer, basketball, baseball, or football.

The look on the face of all the "analysts" says it all. In general with the rules thing: Like where you call all the penalties, that's for whimps. It says a lot that the captain of one of the finalist teams acts like that.

It's just my opinion, but I think that the Canadian dominance of opinion in the NHL management and the NHL-run media - is holding the sport back at a critical moment in it's development. The problem is the subjectivity of the calls is just out of control. It's easily visible how the subjectivity could be employed to influence the outcome of the game. It's also a hard sell to fans of other sports where rules are much more consistently called and strictly followed.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins