Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am

He's drunk

Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin last week was given an eight-year, $76 million contract extension despite his lack of production vs. the Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals. Cherry made it clear he’s not a fan of the 26-year-old Russian.

“I wouldn’t give that guy anything,” Cherry said. “I think he’s a dog — a talented dog. He turns it on when he wants to turn it on. He couldn’t play for the Bruins, I’ll tell you that. You’re going to say, ‘Well, what about [Jaromir] Jagr?’ Jagr’s out there giving every ounce he’s got every time. I don’t know if he can score, but he’s giving every ounce he can. You can’t compare them.

“I wouldn’t have that Malkin. I know he’s talented, I know. But to me, he’s a loser, as far as I’m concerned.”


http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bosto ... n-a-loser/
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,571
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 am

Loser:

Image

Winner:

Last edited by Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby roland on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 am

Cherry is a goof.

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby meow on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 am

I wish someone at HNIC with half a brain would "Old Yeller" Don out back behind the studio.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,194
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby topshelf on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 am

Kovy27 wrote:He's drunk

Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin last week was given an eight-year, $76 million contract extension despite his lack of production vs. the Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals. Cherry made it clear he’s not a fan of the 26-year-old Russian.

“I wouldn’t give that guy anything,” Cherry said. “I think he’s a dog — a talented dog. He turns it on when he wants to turn it on. He couldn’t play for the Bruins, I’ll tell you that. You’re going to say, ‘Well, what about [Jaromir] Jagr?’ Jagr’s out there giving every ounce he’s got every time. I don’t know if he can score, but he’s giving every ounce he can. You can’t compare them.

“I wouldn’t have that Malkin. I know he’s talented, I know. But to me, he’s a loser, as far as I’m concerned.”


http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bosto ... n-a-loser/


LOL. The guy who's schtick is wearing clown suits is going to call someone else a loser. :lol:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,591
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Pitts on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 am

Do we really care?

Does anyone really care what Cherry says?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,529
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am

Malkin is a European, I could have told you what Cherry thought of him before he knew that Malkin existed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,208
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 am

shocking~ an old fart
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,509
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Malkin is a European, I could have told you what Cherry thought of him before he knew that Malkin existed.


This. Not sure why it's a shock. He'll take any hard working Canadian boy over some overpaid and soft Euro.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,051
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am

Image
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,373
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby no name on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 am

I was not disapointed with Malklns effort during the playoffs. The effort was there just not results. Boston shut everyone on the Pens down not just Malkin.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,970
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby ulf on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Malkin is a European, I could have told you what Cherry thought of him before he knew that Malkin existed.


This. Not sure why it's a shock. He'll take any hard working Canadian boy over some overpaid and soft Euro.

And Jagr is?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,720
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 am

Malkin was the best and hardest working skater on the ice in game 3 at Boston.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,915
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby stopper40 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:Malkin was the best and hardest working skater on the ice in game 3 at Boston.



I thought he was the best Pen's player the whole series
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,620
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 am

ulf wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Malkin is a European, I could have told you what Cherry thought of him before he knew that Malkin existed.


This. Not sure why it's a shock. He'll take any hard working Canadian boy over some overpaid and soft Euro.

And Jagr is?


playing for the Cherry's Bruins so that cancels out his soff euro-ness.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,373
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:47 am

shoeshine boy wrote:
ulf wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Malkin is a European, I could have told you what Cherry thought of him before he knew that Malkin existed.


This. Not sure why it's a shock. He'll take any hard working Canadian boy over some overpaid and soft Euro.

And Jagr is?


playing for the Cherry's Bruins so that cancels out his soff euro-ness.


Yup, Cherry would come out in support of Putin if he scored a goal for the Bruins.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 am

stopper40 wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:Malkin was the best and hardest working skater on the ice in game 3 at Boston.



I thought he was the best Pen's player the whole series


I'd probably go with Vokoun.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,208
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am

Pitts wrote:Do we really care?

Does anyone really care what Cherry says?


Caring about what Cherry says is like caring about what Milbury says. A waste of effort.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,546
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am

best forward, certainly. martin and vokoun were pretty great on the back-end. neal has the highest Corsi in the playoffs by a mile. what a super duper metric.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,519
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 am

ulf wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Malkin is a European, I could have told you what Cherry thought of him before he knew that Malkin existed.


This. Not sure why it's a shock. He'll take any hard working Canadian boy over some overpaid and soft Euro.

And Jagr is?


A Jag-off
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby stopper40 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:Malkin was the best and hardest working skater on the ice in game 3 at Boston.



I thought he was the best Pen's player the whole series


I'd probably go with Vokoun.



You could make that argument too, Doesn't really matter though, they lost it's over.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,620
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:21 am

meow wrote:I wish someone at HNIC with half a brain would "Old Yeller" Don out back behind the studio.


Make him humble?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,631
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

Cherry is doing his job by getting everone undies in a bind. That's what Madden, Milbury, and all the other guys do. If they get you talking they did their job. Just like that person from the Stanley Cup of chowder blog.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,631
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

Don't like the "loser" bit but certainly agree with everything else Cherry said. Malkin, just like Ovie, is prone to completely dogging it for periods of time. It is what it is.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Don Cherry calls Malkin a loser

Postby meow on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Don't like the "loser" bit but certainly agree with everything else Cherry said. Malkin, just like Ovie, is prone to completely dogging it for periods of time. It is what it is.

Who doesn't dog it for periods of time? Everyone does it. Even Cherry's good Canadian boys
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,194
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail