would your opinion of the pens exit change.....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: would your opinion of the pens exit change.....

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 am

I'd rather be boring and win cups than be exciting and maybe win cups.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 am

slappybrown wrote:No
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 am

CERV96 wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:cannot stand bruins hockey. boring as hell.

Boring or not. It's getting the job done. Thay are not breaking any rules doing what they are doing.

I disagree.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:03 am

Pitts wrote:Personally, I find Chicago and Pittsburgh eerily similar in their team makeup and game approach.

ehhhh...the pens have 2 guys carrying the load, some wings who leach off of them, and a bottom 6 who could give 2 craps about scoring. chicago is a balanced lineup getting contributions on both ends of the ice from most of their players. plus, they're a fast team, and our speed has become below average. i don't think we're very similar.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

shmenguin wrote:ehhhh...the pens have 2 guys carrying the load, some wings who leach off of them, and a bottom 6 who could give 2 craps about scoring.

If this is how you describe a team that finished on top of the eastern conference in the regular season, I would hate to see how you would describe a bad team.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 am

The Caps finished first overall with a pretty similar model.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 am

Crankshaft wrote:
shmenguin wrote:ehhhh...the pens have 2 guys carrying the load, some wings who leach off of them, and a bottom 6 who could give 2 craps about scoring.

If this is how you describe a team that finished on top of the eastern conference in the regular season, I would hate to see how you would describe a bad team.

Add a top defender that cares about playing defense and a coach that is works his system when it counts, and you basically have the Pens, except the B's don't have the offensive weapons we do.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:41 am

Crankshaft wrote:

there are positives i didn't mention, but in the context of a blackhawks comparison, i didn't feel the need to include them.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 am

No, my opinion of the Pens exit will not change if the Bruins stomp the Blackhawks out. My opinion of the Leafs have not changed knowing they brought the Bruins to the brink in round #1. It is what it is, a playoff exit. A bitter one with such a stacked roster.

I am still waiting for someone to take the fall.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:5 goals in a losing effort, or 2 goals in a losing effort. Is there a difference?

5-2=3.

The difference is 3.

:D Thanks! I wasn't sure.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 am

Beveridge wrote:I'd rather be boring and win cups than be exciting and maybe win cups.

Exactly. Why should we feel better modeling ourselves after another team that can't win when it matters? Either you are built to win a cup or you aren't. Either you play a style conducive to winning a cup or you don't.

The Bruins, playing with less talent, are playing a style that is superior and therefore allows them beat two more talented teams. This should enrage our fan base.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 am

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:5 goals in a losing effort, or 2 goals in a losing effort. Is there a difference?

5-2=3.

The difference is 3.

:D Thanks! I wasn't sure.

For some reason this felt like the Count on Sesame Street.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

headh wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I'd rather be boring and win cups than be exciting and maybe win cups.

Exactly. Why should we feel better modeling ourselves after another team that can't win when it matters? Either you are built to win a cup or you aren't. Either you play a style conducive to winning a cup or you don't.

The Bruins, playing with less talent, are playing a style that is superior and therefore allows them beat two more talented teams. This should enrage our fan base.

And LA used the same model to win their cup last season. Clutch and Grab playoff hockey has been making a comeback. We saw it as early as a few years back against Detroit. It is very difficult to assemble a team when the rules that apply diring the regular season all of a sudden vanish.
Last edited by Steve Dave on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:28 am

I wonder if it goes down that the Hawks only muster 0-1 goals per game and lose the series that there will be calls for Quinneville's head?

They hadn't won a series since their cup win before this season.

He couldn't adjust and his high scoring team was shut down.

Add in the fact that he had game film on the Bs doing the same thing to the Pens.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:39 am

Steve Dave wrote:
headh wrote:

And LA used the same model to win their cup last season. Clutch and Grab playoff hockey has been making a comeback. We saw it as early as a few years back against Detroit. It is very difficult to assemble a team when the rules that apply diring the regular season all of a sudden vanish.

It's only difficult if it's impossible to anticipate such a dramatic shift in officiating. Everyone on earth knows this shift is going to occur. My wife knows it's going to occur. Ray Shero should figure this out. HCDB should know without a doubt that this shift is going to occur.

There comes a time where the saying "if you can't beat em join them" should apply. We are well past that point in time. If we used our talent, playing that system, we'd be invincible.

Instead we stand on a soap box and cry, ***** and whine about how unfair life is to our talented collection of super cry babies. Shi# is getting old real quick. Play the game the way we all know it needs to be played and bring home some hardware. We aren't going to have these guys forever.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:45 am

The Pens played much better against Boston than Chicago has so far.

IB4: CHICAGO HAS SCORED MORE GOALS!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf66 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Don't Hurt Em Hammer!
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 pm

headh wrote:Instead we stand on a soap box and cry, ***** and whine about how unfair life is to our talented collection of super cry babies. Shi# is getting old real quick. Play the game the way we all know it needs to be played and bring home some hardware. We aren't going to have these guys forever.

This, I agree with. I said as much during the playoffs. You need to play defense first. And, it's also the reason I'm okay with trading Letang right now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:IB4: CHICAGO HAS SCORED MORE GOALS!

Already been said.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:No, my opinion of the Pens exit will not change if the Bruins stomp the Blackhawks out. My opinion of the Leafs have not changed knowing they brought the Bruins to the brink in round #1. It is what it is, a playoff exit. A bitter one with such a stacked roster.

I am still waiting for someone to take the fall.

Yeah, pretty much says it for me as well. Some other points:
1) Interference, clutching and grabbing in the playoffs is apparently OK, although it got called in the regular season. Garage league officiating as usual. :roll:
2) Bruins have to be one of the dirtiest teams in the NHL. Watched Chara elbow a Hawk in the head with no call last night. They are getting away with murder. As for Marchand, if I could put a bounty on his head, I would. What a s**t. :evil:
3) Not going to condone "Lunkhead" hockey. C'mon Hawks!
4) Bylsma still needs to go. :slug:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:35 pm

champeen wrote:if the bruins win this thing in 5 and hold chicago to 2 or 3 goals in the final 4 games of the series?

Maybe a little.

Luck often plays a factor in a successful run to the cup, Boston has it right now. Overtime wins could have gone to Toronto, Pittsburgh or Chicago, but the Bruins came out victorious in them all.

I give the Bruins credit for their Devils like stingy defence, their ability to walk the NHL playoff officiating line (alhtough, they did get caught last night, giving the refs their due), and their tight checking, defence first style and of course, AMAZING goaltending from Rask.

Bruins have 4 SOLID dmen, and an amazing goalie. Coach who adjusts and guys who can play the much tougher style of the playoffs. They are built for the playoffs, which Shero did, but his guys didn't get it done.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

headh wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
headh wrote:

It's only difficult if it's impossible to anticipate such a dramatic shift in officiating. Everyone on earth knows this shift is going to occur. My wife knows it's going to occur. Ray Shero should figure this out. HCDB should know without a doubt that this shift is going to occur.

There comes a time where the saying "if you can't beat em join them" should apply. We are well past that point in time. If we used our talent, playing that system, we'd be invincible.

Instead we stand on a soap box and cry, ***** and whine about how unfair life is to our talented collection of super cry babies. Shi# is getting old real quick. Play the game the way we all know it needs to be played and bring home some hardware. We aren't going to have these guys forever.

I totally agree with that.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Pitts wrote:
headh wrote:Instead we stand on a soap box and cry, ***** and whine about how unfair life is to our talented collection of super cry babies. Shi# is getting old real quick. Play the game the way we all know it needs to be played and bring home some hardware. We aren't going to have these guys forever.

This, I agree with. I said as much during the playoffs. You need to play defense first. And, it's also the reason I'm okay with trading Letang right now.

I am also ok with trading Letang. I actually think the move may be essential. Martin QB's the power play better anyway.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby novapen on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Yes, but the choice is really between 'be boring and maybe win cups' and 'be exciting and maybe win cups.' Plenty of boring teams go no where.
novapen

Postby headh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

novapen wrote:

Yes, but the choice is really between 'be boring and maybe win cups' and 'be exciting and maybe win cups.' Plenty of boring teams go no where.

Because they have boring players and a boring style.

if we just played more responsibly and allowed the other teams to make mistakes that we capitalize upon our exciting players would still light the lamp at an alarmingly high rate. We'd just fair better in the post season.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins