would your opinion of the pens exit change.....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: would your opinion of the pens exit change.....

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:00 pm

headh wrote:
novapen wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I'd rather be boring and win cups than be exciting and maybe win cups.

Yes, but the choice is really between 'be boring and maybe win cups' and 'be exciting and maybe win cups.' Plenty of boring teams go no where.

Because they have boring players and a boring style.

if we just played more responsibly and allowed the other teams to make mistakes that we capitalize upon our exciting players would still light the lamp at an alarmingly high rate. We'd just fair better in the post season.

It feels like we try to push to score so hard and so early that when it doesn't happen, we get frustrated and then it all goes bad. Instead of just playing a solid defensive game and waiting for our chances on offense. Therien had us playing great defense, why can't Bylsma? This is very much a choice and a style.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby headh on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
headh wrote:
novapen wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I'd rather be boring and win cups than be exciting and maybe win cups.

Yes, but the choice is really between 'be boring and maybe win cups' and 'be exciting and maybe win cups.' Plenty of boring teams go no where.

Because they have boring players and a boring style.

if we just played more responsibly and allowed the other teams to make mistakes that we capitalize upon our exciting players would still light the lamp at an alarmingly high rate. We'd just fair better in the post season.

It feels like we try to push to score so hard and so early that when it doesn't happen, we get frustrated and then it all goes bad. Instead of just playing a solid defensive game and waiting for our chances on offense. Therien had us playing great defense, why can't Bylsma? This is very much a choice and a style.

There is no doubt in my mind that playing solid defense and opportunistic offense is a choice and a style. To me this decision comes from the top. The fact that they have extended Dan speaks volumes to me.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sniper on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Any team can play like Boston. Line 4 guys up at your blue line and keep your stick in the middle of the ice. Offensively they've shown me nothing. They get some odd man breaks from their lining 4 guys up approach that gives them some chances. Otherwise it's dump the puck in get it, pass it to the point, shoot and hope for a bounce. There is no skill there. That team has some players with skill, they rarely ever use it.

Any team can do what they are doing. They certainly aren't the most skilled team in the league. They have a lot of good players and are pretty balanced, but there isn't anything special about that team. Really their PK is the reason they are where they are. If a team could score on them on the pp and get the lead, their line 4 guys up at the blue line approach isn't going to look so hot and the fact that they aren't very good offensively will shine through. To me other than game 2, this was the biggest problem the Pens had. They get some power play goals, they win that series. It changes everything Boston was and is still doing. Teams haven't been able to get the lead against them though.

The other issue the Pens had in that series is they completely stopped going to the net. Their center drive was completely gone. I taped game 4 and watched it a few days later due to being in a wedding. I already knew they lost, so I paid more attention to why they weren't generating any offense. It was awful to watch them enter the zone when they were actually able to carry the puck in, drop the puck back to the forward slightly behind them and then simply coast waiting for a pass back instead of going hard to the net opening room for the guy with the puck. They did it over and over and over. Get into the offensive zone and just coast waiting for a return pass to one timer, meanwhile the Bruins D just stands there right beside both forwards. No wonder they couldn't score.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am

sniper wrote:Any team can play like Boston. Line 4 guys up at your blue line and keep your stick in the middle of the ice. Offensively they've shown me nothing. They get some odd man breaks from their lining 4 guys up approach that gives them some chances. Otherwise it's dump the puck in get it, pass it to the point, shoot and hope for a bounce. There is no skill there. That team has some players with skill, they rarely ever use it.

Any team can do what they are doing. They certainly aren't the most skilled team in the league. They have a lot of good players and are pretty balanced, but there isn't anything special about that team. Really their PK is the reason they are where they are. If a team could score on them on the pp and get the lead, their line 4 guys up at the blue line approach isn't going to look so hot and the fact that they aren't very good offensively will shine through. To me other than game 2, this was the biggest problem the Pens had. They get some power play goals, they win that series. It changes everything Boston was and is still doing. Teams haven't been able to get the lead against them though.

It takes discipline.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cu11en on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

The Lightning, Flyer, & Bruins series over the past few years have convinced me that making adjustments in the postseason is not possible under the current regime.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:30 pm

It takes your star players playing like star players. This year was probably the saddest display of "star power" in a playoff series of all time.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm

wondermoose wrote:It takes your star players playing like star players. This year was probably the saddest display of "star power" in a playoff series of all time.

star players need to get opportunities as a result of team play or their efforts will fall short against a TEAM EFFORT
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:49 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:
bhaw wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:The Blackhawks are 0-fer on the PP as well.

Would it kill some of you to give the Bruins some credit?

The Bruins do get credit. That doesn't exclude the Pens and DB from being responsible for looking terrible against them. .

But they didnt, except game 2. That series couldve been 3-1 Pens after 4 gamed

This statement gets weirder and weirder as time passes. The only game they could have won was game 3. Boston was firmly in control for the rest of the series.

You posted this in the morning after thread after game 1.

" Can't win em all. We were the better team, but still lost. Unfortunately, this is t the NBA, where the better team ends up winning 99% of the time. The important thing is for them to not let it get to their heads, or feel snake bit or whatever. "

Just sayin'
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 pm

We got the better of the play, but were nowhere close to winning that game.

Though it became more evident as the series went on that game 1 wasn't a fluke.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Tht was my point...that they played well enough to win
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I guess this topic is moot now since Chicago has again scored more goals in one game than we did in four. Apparently it is indeed possible to adjust and do better. Wish we could know what that's like. But hey, 3 more years of Dan! High five!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The Blackhawks are 0-fer on the PP as well.

Would it kill some of you to give the Bruins some credit?

We all know that "the Blackhawks just aren't that good"... :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bhaw on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Would you opinion of the Pens exit change if the Bruins win and the Blackhawks fail to score more than 20 goals in the series? Rask and that defense look pretty unbeatable right now. No adjustment could beat it so I'm guessing Chicago just has Kane and Toews skate 700 times into 3 defenders by themselves then Julien blames magical forces.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ziggo on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 pm

I guess the Blackhawks had different idea's tonight.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Kind of a meaningless thread now.

We scored 2 goals in 4 games. At that pace, it would take us over 20 games to score 11 goals. :pop:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins