double shifting strategy question

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

double shifting strategy question

Postby IMFC on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:56 am

I really didn't see this discussed at all this year, but down 0-2 with 2 of the best centers in the world and problems with defense matchups, why not dress 7-D so you can get nisky or engy off the ice if they're sucking and get simon some chances, and just rotate sid and malkie double-shifting? Hell, with joki you could even rotate them as wingers so they could get some kane-like floater/cherry picker shifts. This wouldn't have been some kind of panic shakeup, either. Could have still made the same other changes he made that kept the game tight.

I like Bylsma, but he's really just not into matchups much. A good, solid, steady, unimaginative guy. The kind of guy that will go to the bachelor party in vegas, but just wants to stay at your hotel the whole time. "Wow, this place has EVERYTHING." Or you go to Hawaii and he wants to stay on Oahu. "This is PARADISE."

Look, there are times for staying the course and there are times for getting funky. That was one of those funky times.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: double shifting strategy question

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 am

I haven't watched much of this current series, but I know the Hawks have been double shifting Toews to keep him away from Bergeron seems to be effective (as per NHL writers on Twitter).

Like others have said, Bylsma has his coaching strategy and refuses to let matchups change this strategy much. Sure, if there are special teams' play lines will get scrambled, but that's about it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

Now that we're no longer really a cycling team, we're a transition offense, there is less asked of the defense in terms of ground to cover. Whereas in previous seasons, defensemen would (more) routinely pinch down the boards and be involved lower and then have to track back and all that...we still have guys that pinch (every team does) but not to the same extent as years past (or so it seemed to me). Speaking to that point, think of the handedness of our pairings. Letang-Niskanen (RHS-RHS) and Orpik-Martin (LHS-LHS) in the top-four. Only one of those guys can reasonably pinch and be effective.

With that said, they could have dressed 7 anyhow and double-shifted, sure. It's not unreasonable even with my note above.

Crosby seemed to get doubled sometimes anyhow...his ice time went up (both ES and ATOI) but his SH time went slightly down in the playoffs. Malkin, I think, remained pretty much unchanged all the way around. But that can also be, in part, attributed to Crosby being a good faceoff taker while Malkin is not.

The question is trust, too, on the backend.

Simon Despres was not trusted...only a couple games, ice time plummeted in the playoffs. Engelland is just not a playoff-worthy player as I've said and the coaching staff/management confirm...2010: benched the entire playoffs, 2011: benched the entire playoffs, 2012: Ice time is significantly reduced. 2013: benched for half the playoffs. Douglas Murray's ice time was cut by more than 3 minutes per in the playoffs despite games being slightly longer on average.

So there is, what, our 5/6/7 guys, I guess throw Eaton in there too...he was trusted. They don't like them...they don't like two of them, they aren't gonna like three of them...ya know what I mean?

Hopefully the players "on the way" solve this soon...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:51 pm

IN the post porteum after the flyers, I'm sure I heard that Evgeni and Sid would be killing penalties. With Sid, I did see him out there. It never happened with Evgeni. This year, after Evgeni signed or after pens were swept, I heard Gene say he wants to work on his defensive game.
There is a responsible federov -style player in him.
Being on the PK builds the defensive reactions and yes, being responsible on all space of the ice.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 pm

The only reason to EVER dress 7 D is when you have one guy so good on the PP an no one else is or you have a defenseman nursing an injury and you are hedging against needing to play a man down.

For the Pens, that happened in 2009 with Goligoski when Gonchar was hurt, they dressed 7 and he only saw PP duty because Letang, Orpik, Boucher, Scuderi, Gill and Eaton all sucked compared to him and Gonchar.

There was no reason to try that with this roster.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

DelPen wrote:The only reason to EVER dress 7 D is when you have one guy so good on the PP an no one else is or you have a defenseman nursing an injury and you are hedging against needing to play a man down.

For the Pens, that happened in 2009 with Goligoski when Gonchar was hurt, they dressed 7 and he only saw PP duty because Letang, Orpik, Boucher, Scuderi, Gill and Eaton all sucked compared to him and Gonchar.

There was no reason to try that with this roster.

Marc Andre Bergeron
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins