Kennedy offer sheet...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kennedy offer sheet...

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 am

pfim wrote:26 year old with 15-20 goal production and 75 playoff games in his career is worth something, letting him go for nothing when you hold his rights is bad business imo.

:thumb:

Qualifying him ensures that they'll get compensation if he signs somewhere else.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 am

It also opens him up to accepting the qualifying offer and staying at an equal salary after a very down year, effectively giving him another contract year making more money than this past year's production would dictate.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am

Henry Hank wrote:Probably a sign that they aren't going to sign many if any of their impending UFAs.

I tend to agree.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 am

The RFA is a double edged sword here. I thought the Pens would be interested in TK because I tend to agree with HH that they will not turn to UFA this year. It will prove to be the most daunting in terms of cap management. RFAs are typically a great method of keeping costs down--but not when you're looking to decrease their salary, as we will with TK. Generally, RFAs are due for a raise. They are just getting their second contract after a solid initial contract. A 10% increase is all it takes to retain their rights, then a negotiation ensues. Here, we will have to give TK a 10% increase we probably don't want to give him, but if we don't qualify him, we'll lose his rights and all the benefits attendant with RFAs.

I expect the Pens will not qualify him; rather, they'll try to re-sign at a lower rate like a UFA.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 am

TheHammer24 wrote:The RFA is a double edged sword here. I thought the Pens would be interested in TK because I tend to agree with HH that they will not turn to UFA this year. It will prove to be the most daunting in terms of cap management. RFAs are typically a great method of keeping costs down--but not when you're looking to decrease their salary, as we will with TK. Generally, RFAs are due for a raise. They are just getting their second contract after a solid initial contract. A 10% increase is all it takes to retain their rights, then a negotiation ensues. Here, we will have to give TK a 10% increase we probably don't want to give him, but if we don't qualify him, we'll lose his rights and all the benefits attendant with RFAs.

I expect the Pens will not qualify him; rather, they'll try to re-sign at a lower rate like a UFA.

They can retain Kennedy's rights by offering him 100% of last year's contract value because he made $2 million. If he's worth a 7th round pick on the trade market, he's worth something, so you keep his rights.

Perhaps he agrees to a lower salary for an extra year or so, but I doubt it will be much lower than $2 million.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 am

pfim wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:The RFA is a double edged sword here. I thought the Pens would be interested in TK because I tend to agree with HH that they will not turn to UFA this year. It will prove to be the most daunting in terms of cap management. RFAs are typically a great method of keeping costs down--but not when you're looking to decrease their salary, as we will with TK. Generally, RFAs are due for a raise. They are just getting their second contract after a solid initial contract. A 10% increase is all it takes to retain their rights, then a negotiation ensues. Here, we will have to give TK a 10% increase we probably don't want to give him, but if we don't qualify him, we'll lose his rights and all the benefits attendant with RFAs.

They can retain Kennedy's rights by offering him 100% of last year's contract value because he made $2 million. If he's worth a 7th round pick on the trade market, he's worth something, so you keep his rights.

Perhaps he agrees to a lower salary for an extra year or so, but I doubt it will be much lower than $2 million.

Thanks. Still, I didn't think the Pens would be interested in $2 million for him. And the only way you can retain his rights is my offering him that.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:58 am

His production cost more on the UFA market. Keep him on the relative cheap as long as possible.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby yubb on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:12 am

TK came in the series against the Islanders and scored a big goal. He has playoff experience. He's worth keeping.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 am

Playoff performance doesn't matter under the Penguins' current model.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:22 am

Do not like
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 am

People are complaining about this? It's called asset management.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 am

pcm wrote:People are complaining about this? It's called asset management.

Meh, he's a great fourth liner and sub par when placed anywhere else. Just not worth the $
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 am

Shero has a ton of question marks regarding his roster right now. Kennedy can play the 3rd line role and slide up the the 2nd in a pinch. He is a good guy to have in the stable until Ray figures things out.

If we manage to bring back Dupuis and add another player in the top 6, I'd say Bennett gets the 3rd line RW spot and Ray moves Kennedy to Carolina for future considerations. Otherwise, it might be one more year of TK.

Remain calm.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:55 am

Jesse,

If you would make a lineup in the 'You're the GM' thread I would be so happy.

I looked at the old one and saw you had Colaiacovo and Goligoski in your top 4.

I'll let that slide because of your REP.

Thanks
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the riddler on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm not a fan of holding onto Kennedy for $2 million a year. He had an awful season and played good in a couple playoff games. I'd rather see that money be spent elsewhere.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Can you even trade future considerations in the NHL? I thought you had to have the pieces of the trade, conditional or not, in writing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Suspending judgement here. Says is different than does.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

the riddler wrote:I'm not a fan of holding onto Kennedy for $2 million a year. He had an awful season and played good in a couple playoff games. I'd rather see that money be spent elsewhere.

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Does it constitute a trade of "future considerations" whenever two NHL GM's walk away from a friendly conversation and say, "I'll talk to you later..."?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 pm

If nothing is being moved, there is no trade. I'm not sure I understand the question.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If nothing is being moved, there is no trade. I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you're referring to my post...it was in jest.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stick_licker on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Say what you will about Kennedy, but he scored a pretty huge goal against the Islanders in the playoffs. I think this year showed us we need to focus on speed and less on "veteran leadership". Kennedy has speed. He's not necessarily the guy I'd want, but he has a playoff history of success - and a surprising number of game-winning-goals in the playoffs (6 or 7 I think!).

Plus I don't want to have to change my username :)
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Stick_licker wrote:Say what you will about Kennedy, but he scored a pretty huge goal against the Islanders in the playoffs. I think this year showed us we need to focus on speed and less on "veteran leadership". Kennedy has speed. He's not necessarily the guy I'd want, but he has a playoff history of success - and a surprising number of game-winning-goals in the playoffs (6 or 7 I think!).

Plus I don't want to have to change my username :)

I agree with you on the speed aspect of your argument. Dupuis has that speed we need and I think the Pens paying $2M to TK greatly affects their ability to keep Dupuis.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm a little curious about the offer to Jeffrey, who is the lost forward on the Pens. Not AHL depth (can't clear waivers), not suited to a true checking role, can't really play top-six...what's the point? To give him away to the Islanders in October via waivers? Very strange.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby helmespc on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I'm a little curious about the offer to Jeffrey, who is the lost forward on the Pens. Not AHL depth (can't clear waivers), not suited to a true checking role, can't really play top-six...what's the point? To give him away to the Islanders in October via waivers? Very strange.

Whats the point of losing an NHL-ready forward who is getting paid minimum wage?
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins