Kennedy offer sheet...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kennedy offer sheet...

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:25 pm

helmespc wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I'm a little curious about the offer to Jeffrey, who is the lost forward on the Pens. Not AHL depth (can't clear waivers), not suited to a true checking role, can't really play top-six...what's the point? To give him away to the Islanders in October via waivers? Very strange.

Whats the point of losing an NHL-ready forward who is getting paid minimum wage?

But can't crack the lineup? Unless the roster gets a huge overhaul (and it's due for one), Jeffrey still doesn't have a place to play.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 pm

He's a serviceable plugin.

I guess that you could argue that you could find a better one, but not sure that it's worth the effort/money.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:54 pm

jokinen seems to be the better plug, but when you have no NHL forwards on your farm team, i guess you need to keep a guy like jeffrey around
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
helmespc wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I'm a little curious about the offer to Jeffrey, who is the lost forward on the Pens. Not AHL depth (can't clear waivers), not suited to a true checking role, can't really play top-six...what's the point? To give him away to the Islanders in October via waivers? Very strange.

Whats the point of losing an NHL-ready forward who is getting paid minimum wage?

But can't crack the lineup? Unless the roster gets a huge overhaul (and it's due for one), Jeffrey still doesn't have a place to play.

You could say that about most of our RFA's... TK definitely earned his way back in, but disappeared again against Boston. Why re-sign a player that won't play every night, especially when you can replace him for less $$?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:32 pm

If he was a serviceable defensive forward or PKer, then $2 million would sound about right. However, he's never been used in defensive situations so I'd pass on it. Great speed and jive, though.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:42 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:You can't put a price tag on spunk

$18.99 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SPUNK-Lube-PINK-ounce-236/dp/B009PX5IV4/
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Well, that certainly changes the calculus of this free agency period.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby redwill on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Not to mention the viscosity.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:35 pm

I'd keep all 3. Jeffrey and Bortuzzo are good depth, TK is a good candidate for a bounce back
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Probably a sign that they aren't going to sign many if any of their impending UFAs.

I tend to agree.

I have no interest in anybody but Dupuis, and maybe Cooke and Adams.

Iginla, Morrow, Murray, and Eaton need to go. Too slow. Not that Adams is fast, but it's OK for him to be slow because he only goes from his own net to the red line
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joker10277 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Probably a sign that they aren't going to sign many if any of their impending UFAs.

I tend to agree.

Iginla, Morrow, Murray, and Eaton need to go. Too slow. Not that Adams is fast, but it's OK for him to be slow because he only goes from his own net to the red line

Yeah, bring everyone back, can't break up the get-along-gang!

If you don't think its broke, there's nothing to fix.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 pm

joker10277 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

I tend to agree.

Yeah, bring everyone back, can't break up the get-along-gang!

If you don't think its broke, there's nothing to fix.

What?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bh on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 pm

No Brainer on keeping TK. Shero would be an idiot not to. I think this is the year we finally see Adams walk. He's too slow and doesn't offer much besides the PK. I would try and work TK into that role. With his spunk he was born to kill penalties. I'd bring back Duper and Cooke too. Other than that I'm not sure what can be done with this lineup.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:11 pm

An offer sheet is when a team offers a contract to an RFA after July 1st. This is just a qualifying offer. If TK ever gets an offer sheet I will jump in front of a truck.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 am

Surprised they did it. They didn't qualify him a year or two ago and it seems like he's less in the plans now. I, of course, don't have a problem with the qualifying offer (which, he could very well just sign the tender) but only if he's going to be used correctly. If you aren't gonna use him right, we should have just let him go...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 am

mikey287 wrote:Surprised they did it. They didn't qualify him a year or two ago and it seems like he's less in the plans now. I, of course, don't have a problem with the qualifying offer (which, he could very well just sign the tender) but only if he's going to be used correctly. If you aren't gonna use him right, we should have just let him go...

How should TK be used? He can't crack the top 6, has little to no chemistry with Sutter (not blaming TK - just not a good mesh), and whilst effective on the 4th line during the playoffs would be vastly over-paid in that role. I don't hate TK and fully respect your views Mikey, but don't understand how he can be used effectively on the team as currently constructed?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:08 am

Change the style of the 3rd line, maybe? Being it back to a cycling line, rather than some hybrid of the team's run and gun style and Sutter's lock down style - which is an ugly combination
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 am

shmenguin wrote:Change the style of the 3rd line, maybe? Being it back to a cycling line, rather than some hybrid of the team's run and gun style and Sutter's lock down style - which is an ugly combination

The key (IMO) is building around Sutter's shutdown style as that's what the coaching staff seem to be asking him to do. Trying to remake the Staal line cycle won't work, you need wingers who compliment the centre's ability and style or things start to look awkward (eg TK on Sutter's RW/Iggy on Malkin's LW etc). I'd like to see a defensively aware winger with more physicality a la Clutterbuck... "If you want something enough and your heart is pure, wondrous things can happen!"
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 am

Even with Kennedy, it was an effective defensive line. If he cuts out the cutesy crap (which I think he will), it will be even better. So I don't think we need to find someone more suited for that role. However...I think it's possible to find someone cheaper for that role.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:58 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

I tend to agree.

And yet you want Murray and Eaton gone?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:01 am

bh wrote:No Brainer on keeping TK. Shero would be an idiot not to. I think this is the year we finally see Adams walk. He's too slow and doesn't offer much besides the PK. I would try and work TK into that role. With his spunk he was born to kill penalties. I'd bring back Duper and Cooke too. Other than that I'm not sure what can be done with this lineup.

Kennedy is pretty much completely defensively inept. Why would they have him pk? If he could pk, he'd be a bargain, but he can't.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 am

Luckybreak wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Surprised they did it. They didn't qualify him a year or two ago and it seems like he's less in the plans now. I, of course, don't have a problem with the qualifying offer (which, he could very well just sign the tender) but only if he's going to be used correctly. If you aren't gonna use him right, we should have just let him go...

How should TK be used? He can't crack the top 6, has little to no chemistry with Sutter (not blaming TK - just not a good mesh), and whilst effective on the 4th line during the playoffs would be vastly over-paid in that role. I don't hate TK and fully respect your views Mikey, but don't understand how he can be used effectively on the team as currently constructed?

My answer is kind of shmenguin's response...but then really, I thought about it again and kind of grimaced...what shmenguin said is the right answer (well, "right" to me) but honestly, it just might not work. Sutter is not a visionary with the puck. He's a RHS, Kennedy's on the right side, there isn't anyone who can go against the grain from the LW (Cooke is not a passer)...Kennedy just isn't getting the puck except if he chips it to himself or if he scoops it up on the cycle. He's going to get even less quality scoring chances than he already does...per average minute of ice time, Kennedy produces one ES goal. That's not enough to keep him out of the doghouse here and those numbers really can't improve.

TK would be good (and was good) in our more aggressive forecheck stylings...but now we scaled that back some and the whole thing...so really he just might not be a fit here...that's why I was tiny bit surprised we qualified him...I know, I know, "it's bad asset management to let him walk and all that" and like I always say, I believe in proper asset management but we're not holding TK hostage from anyone. His RFA rights can't be worth too much and there are virtually no sign-and-trades in hockey...so, I figure we have a plan to use him, otherwise we would have let him walk...again.

I don't know...I really don't know what the organization has in store for him, I don't know if this is right or wrong (not that handing out a QO is any big deal or anything), but uh, I don't know...that's all I got...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 am

This is going to be a very odd year for the cap. I'd rather stand pat with the team that went undefeated in march then make any major moves. Other teams will be hurting to get a team under that $64.3 million cap.

And quite honestly, Jeffrey could very well be the LW that Sutter needs. Jeffrey has the hands to finish, it might be a good role for him.

Right now here's who we have under contract (or tendered) and the Cap space left:

14-87-36
19-71-18
17-16-48
15-46-37

44-7
58-47
2-5

29-92

That roster gives us $4.5 million to sign dome UFA's, mainly Dupuis.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 am

You don't have to be a Selke nominee to play on the PK, it isn't really that difficult...I think it's something that can be learned fairly easily, especially if you're a forward...it's more about positioning than anything, really. I don't think trying TK on the penalty kill would automatically ruin it or anything.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:it's more about positioning than anything, really.

Thats exactly it, and thats exactly Kennedy's problem with playing defense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins