Kennedy offer sheet...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kennedy offer sheet...

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
bh wrote:No Brainer on keeping TK. Shero would be an idiot not to. I think this is the year we finally see Adams walk. He's too slow and doesn't offer much besides the PK. I would try and work TK into that role. With his spunk he was born to kill penalties. I'd bring back Duper and Cooke too. Other than that I'm not sure what can be done with this lineup.

Kennedy is pretty much completely defensively inept. Why would they have him pk? If he could pk, he'd be a bargain, but he can't.

Was going to say exactly this.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:You don't have to be a Selke nominee to play on the PK, it isn't really that difficult...I think it's something that can be learned fairly easily, especially if you're a forward...it's more about positioning than anything, really. I don't think trying TK on the penalty kill would automatically ruin it or anything.

Tough to learn with limited hockey sense. That's why he's an ES player. Can't learn. Just programmed to do repetitive tasks. TK gets by on hard work, not brains or beauty...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 am

he doesn't kill penalties and doesn't block shots. i don't know if that qualifies as completely defensively inept. he backchecks as good as you could want, doesn't lose his man and doesn't abandon the zone prematurely. he doesn't have any innate defensive talent, but he's more than adequate.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 am

Kennedy does lose his man. Sure he backchecks, thats pretty irrelevant to the pk, but he does it. I can't really say he does it well, but he skates back hard, so thats something.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 am

PRO KENNEDY SUPPORTERS

Everyone posts great "stats" and I will go as far as saying, decent hockey "logic" 15-20 goal scorer (til staal was traded), 75 career playoff games, good experience, etc etc

Until you realize he makes 2.0M, and its a good .750k-1M more than he deserves.

This isn't some scrub team, we need all the free cap.

Dupuis has earned a new increased contract. Kennedy hasn't even earned another 2.0M deal. Just because he scored 2 big playoff goals doesn't cross out the 40 games of HORRIBLE play. Just HORRIBLE. He would have sat MUCH MORE THIS YEAR, with any coach not named Bylsma.

You lose Kennedy supporters.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:01 am

the voice of reason chimes in
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:02 am

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 am

shmenguin wrote:the voice of reason chimes in

I think its settled. The defense may now rest.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 am

Who is even really supporting Kennedy in this thread...? I have to be one of his biggest supporters and look what I said about him...who are you yelling at...

Second time in 12 hours I've unfortunately had to use this, maybe it's the heat, but, what the **** are you talking about...?

And why is "stats" in quotes...are they not stats...? Just take a breath...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:07 am

it's easy to call me out as some sort of fan boy, but the most effusive thing about kennedy that i've said in months is that he is adequate defensively.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am

Nizzy wrote:PRO KENNEDY SUPPORTERS

Everyone posts great "stats" and I will go as far as saying, decent hockey "logic" 15-20 goal scorer (til staal was traded), 75 career playoff games, good experience, etc etc

Dupuis has earned a new increased contract. Kennedy hasn't even earned another 2.0M deal. Just because he scored 2 big playoff goals doesn't cross out the 40 games of HORRIBLE play. Just HORRIBLE. He would have sat MUCH MORE THIS YEAR, with any coach not named Bylsma.

I'm not disputing that TK may make too much for this team. But Penguins fans have an absolutely warped view of what players are "worth." Everyone on this team with the exception of maybe Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik, is signed at a considerable discount than what they would have gotten in free agency or could get tomorrow in free agency, save for the guys making under a million.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:05 am

mikey287 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:You don't have to be a Selke nominee to play on the PK, it isn't really that difficult...I think it's something that can be learned fairly easily, especially if you're a forward...it's more about positioning than anything, really. I don't think trying TK on the penalty kill would automatically ruin it or anything.

Tough to learn with limited hockey sense. That's why he's an ES player. Can't learn. Just programmed to do repetitive tasks. TK gets by on hard work, not brains or beauty...

Tough to learn? I mean come on, this is hockey not brain surgery...If a 60 year old Craig Adams can do it I'm sure anybody can.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:11 am

Kunitz is signing a three year contract from what I've heard.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am

Key difference: Craig Adams has hockey sense. Tyler Kennedy does not. Thus, Adams ability to hold on in the league as long as he has (over a decade, nearly 900 games) despite limited skating ability and very limited puck skills. Smarts. Some players are not capable of learning in any meaningful way. Seen at every level.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 am

One of them is certainly more likely to have a coaching career.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:PRO KENNEDY SUPPORTERS

I'm not disputing that TK may make too much for this team. But Penguins fans have an absolutely warped view of what players are "worth." Everyone on this team with the exception of maybe Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik, is signed at a considerable discount than what they would have gotten in free agency or could get tomorrow in free agency, save for the guys making under a million.

Cooke, Kunitz, Iginla, Morrow, Murray, Jokinen, Fleury. I'd say all of them are worth at or less than what they were paid this year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:59 am

It's telling almost all of those you listed were trade deadline acquisitions. Their salary doesn't affect our salary cap. But more importantly, their teams signed them at their market rate, which is higher than what you think the Pens should have paid them.

That leaves Cooke, Kunitz, and Fleury.

Cooke would have been paid more on another team, but he is "at" his rate, I agree. Fleury is overpaid, for sure, given his playoff performance.

Kunitz was a top 8th in the league in points. if you think he was at his market rate, then you are bolstering my point.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Most people say Cooke wouldn't find work elsewhere in the league because everyone sees him as a liability. Kunitz throws himself into walls and stands in front of slap shots, and has been doign it his whole career. If he gets a raise at 34, it will be a miracle. You conveniently left out Fleury, and Jokinen is still under contract with the team, so i'm not sure why it would matter where they got him. As for the others, they're also Penguins, thus included in "everyone on the team", so i'm not sure why it matters anyway.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Cooke is a liability on what front...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm

mikey287 wrote:Cooke is a liability on what front...?

The penalties for being Matt Cooke could be classified as a liability. I think.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Oh...that's silly. Neal and Malkin take more stupid penalties than Cooke...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 am

Get ready for Bennett-Sutter-Kennedy as your 3rd line. It will be interesting.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 am

mikey287 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Oh...that's silly. Neal and Malkin take more stupid penalties than Cooke...

And that's maybe the problem. if Neal and Malkin aren't idiots they don't end up in the box. Cooke gets tossed from the playoffs down 1-0 for a hit that was debatable as even being a penalty because of his reputation from 3-4 years ago.

I'd like to see Kennedy actually try to play PK before dismissing him. Vitale is good on the PK but never plays. He's actually really good on faceoffs and around the net yet was often a scratch because Byllsma depended on Adams.

With no Cooke someone needs to step into the PK roll, even more so if Dupuis and Adams aren't back too.

Glass, Jokinen and Sutter are good enough for Bylsma. need two more. Vitale and Kennedy? He needs to be tested a lot in preseason and see what he can do. We really just need a guy who can keep players honest at the point and clear, Kennedy can handle that role and he has short handed breakaway potential.

With the cap what is is next year we will need Kennedy to do more, same with Jokinen.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 am

ron_duguays_hair wrote:Kunitz is signing a three year contract from what I've heard.

Overlooked is that you had this information about 15-18 hours before it happened -- when no rumors were floating. Kudos.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 am

Kennedy's spunk can be supplied by putting a puppy on skates.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins